I just made this bread using a recipe another user posted in the bread thread a few days ago and I just wanted to say...

I just made this bread using a recipe another user posted in the bread thread a few days ago and I just wanted to say thank you. This bread came out great.

It may have been me. If not, it was Fuck Flour. I saw him posting in that thread, too.
Here's one I baked today. Sadly, didn't shape it too well. You can see some splitting to the bottom right just under the side slash.

Same loaf, different angle.

Crumb shot. 65ish % hydration sourdough petit batard, which is my everyday bread.

This was the post I followed.

Crumb shot

looks tasty

I'd like to try making my own bread as well, but I don't have a Dutch Oven. Is there an alternative I can do/use or should I just go get myself one?

You don't have to have a dutch oven to bake bread, it's just one way of doing so. If you don't have one I would suggest you get one though--they're not expensive and they have a lot of uses in the kitchen. When you're not baking they're great for stews, pot-roasts, etc.

it's nice having one but you can make bread without it

How do i make bread

Literally do what is in this post here:
I use pic related. Apparently that's a Dutch oven. I thought they were only the colorful ceramic ones.

First time making a 40% whole wheat loaf. It came out a little flatter than I was expecting. Any tips to get it to rise more?

I followed the same recipe but using a darker flour (I ran out and didn't want to go to store), mine didn't come out as nice though

OP here. Don't take my word for anything. But maby you could try scoring the top of your loaf. It's where I saw the greatest amount of elevation.

Yeah, that's FuckFlour, our resident ginger baker.

>making something that will mold in 3 days

My bread lasts for like a week. IDK what petri dish you live in.

oh shit dude, i'm the one who gave you the recipe! i'm fucking thrilled with this update and i'm so glad it turned out well!!

hey, recipe user here. this looks pretty good! your lack of rise is probably due to the higher level of whole wheat flour -- next time, try 25% ww, or up the hydration some!

i'm not FuckFlour and i'm not really that ginger, but i'm glad people liked the recipe i shared (which, to be clear, is from Forkish's "Flour Water Salt Yeast")

>tfw too pilled to enjoy white bread and can't eat it in the U.S. because the added iron constipates me

That is one fine looking loaf, user. Good job.
>Store bought, "loaf bread" mentality. Probably white, tasteless, shit bread. Enjoy your rat hairs, included free of charge.
Same here. Open air, or bagged? One loaf between the two of us usually only lasts a day or two, though. Three, tops. By then, it's toast (pun intended).
One loaf will last about one full day, with my wife and I making short work of the product.

fresh milled flour has literally no added iron? just bake your own.

My bread doesn't go green but it does go stale far more quickly than storebought mostly because I can't bag it as that would defeat the purpose of baking my own bread in the first place (for that hard, crunchy crust). My solution is to simply bake smaller loaves. My standard loaf uses 250g of flour, give or take and gives me four servings of bread. I'll eat one serving at dinner, another at breakfast the next day, the third for lunch and the last gets cubed and dried out for stuffing or bread pudding. Then I bake a new loaf and repeat the process. I find my tiny loaves at their peak deliciousness 1,5 hours out of the oven. After that, they nosedive in quality as they go stale.

i leave mine cut-side down on my cutting board, covered loosely with a kitchen towel, and they last at least 3 days. im using sourdough and not doing a bread tin loaf, though.

Mine is sourdough as well and, less the towel, I do pretty much the same. However, amongst my family, I've a famously a low-tolerance for stale bread. As a kid, I wouldn't eat bread much at all. Let me explain: say parents went to the bakery for bread. They'd buy two large loaves. I'd eat some as soon as it came into the house then ignore the remainder. The rest of the family was happy to eat it for the next day or two, but not me. And I'm still that way. Difference is, now that I don't have family to compete with, leftover, stale bread can get repurposed for other things, like puddings, stuffings/dressings, croutons and bread crumbs.

hmm, i guess i can understand that. a good strata is a lovely thing.

how long do you proof this for?

I make baguettes and just toss em' on a cookie sheet.

>not having a refrigerator to put your fresh bread in

Yeh, this is actually called "unbleached wheat bread flour", it's technically not whole wheat, but it definitely resembles whole wheat in terms of taste and I would guess lessened rising, as you said. I wasn't aware it would be like this when I got it. Bread doesn't taste bad but it does taste basically like a whole wheat bread, which isn't really what I wanted. I'll be picking up more flour in the next couple days though and will try the same recipe and hopefully get better results.

Add 2% olive oil

Terrible crumb

That would undo the whole purpose of baking my own bread for me, which is to have a hard, crunchy crust.
I can keep soft bread just fine, staying relatively fresh for days, but hard, crusty, crunchy breads I will eat slices of only the day of baking. After that, it's puddin' time.

>not 'crumby crumb'
Damn, what a shame.

No but serious ly look at the centre, its not fluffy enough

>9%
Jesus x Christ user.

>Open air, or bagged?
Sealed plastic bag in the fridge =^)

Bakers delight user
100% flour
53% water ATM I think I'll see tomorrow
2% yeast
1.8% salt (was 2% not long ago)
1% improver
1% oil

You should use omnichan over mimi

Please explain user.

will phoneposters ever learn how to take a picture of just the thing they want to show and not their entire fucking screen

faggots stop posting pictures of your breads
you make me hungry
nice job faggots

Couple of years ago I read an article that some German University found out that the thick crust in breads has very beneficial elements that were developed during the baking process.
I don't remember the details but you can google it if you are interested.
(bread in the picture is not mine)

I'm going to bake bread again.
Did it many years ago,but now I'm going to use natural starter not yeast and bake rye bread.
I can only imagine the delicious aromas in your kitchens when you baking.Nice thing to experience.
Thanks for this thread OP and all the anons who are sharing.

Why use sea salt in particular? What does it do for this specific recipe?

I don't like using sea salt.
Fish pee poop and have sex in the sea.

Amazing
How long do you leave it in for??

Just shat this out an hour or so ago. Not my finest work so I'm not expecting much from the crumb.

It's an 80% Hydration sourdough. I gave it around 13 hours bulk ferment with numerous stretch and folds.

Overnight in the lined banneton in the fridge, seemed well proofed (passed the poke test) but a lot of large surface bubbles in the dough. It deformed slightly in my hand during transfer to the ducth oven and I couldn't score it properly due to how wet it was. For normal breads I use a ridged bread knife to score loaves but in the dutch oven it doesn't reach. I also still kinda suck at shaping the wet loaves pre-banneton but i'm working on it

I didn't cook it for too long with the lid off because it's for my family who like a slightly softer crust.

Will post the crumb shot soon

Looks proper good OP
May try this myself

Crumb update.

It's as I expected, not quite as open-textured as what I was going for but will still fill my family's needs. I suspect poor shaping and warping during transfer to be the issue here.

More evidence of poor shaping on the base of the loaf we have large dry cracks

I just got into making bread, but I'm not very good yet. Any tips or resources for absolute beginners that y'all approve of?

Start with the most basic white bread in a loaf tin. It should only contain 4 ingredients:

Strong white bread flour, Water, Yeast, Salt

Don't follow the recipe's exact guidelines for proofing times because different kitchens will have different temperatures/humidity. Instead look for signs that the dough has prooved ie. doubled in size.

Don't be impatient if the dough hasn't risen after an hour or 2, give it as long as it needs (my last house had no heating and in the winter it took all night to proof).

One more important thing, don't put yeast in direct contact with salt or hot water

looks cool, maybe a bit too much oil? the crust looks greasy

No oil in it, maybe it's rice flour you're seeing on the crust? I use it to prevent the dough from sticking to the banneton

was looking at this, seemed like the middle part grease absorbed the flour but it might be just that there was little flour to begin with, a little unfocused so hard to tell
but looks good anyway
would like to do some again but never really checked if electricity used is more expensive than buying bread itself

I'd say it's cheaper than buying artisan rye sourdough from a bakery. But more expensive than your basic supermarket white

wanted to try it with wood fire but i guess the heat would be impossible to control
how long does it last? dont really care about it getting hard, can use for other recipes, but does it grow mold?

It's worth a shot to try it on the fire, as long as its in a sealed pot and you aren't getting smokey bread.

I'm not sure how long it would take to grow mould but it goes hard in a couple of days. I slice and freeze mine shortly after it cools to prevent this

Sliced and frozen

pretty good looking, nice work

>more expensive than supermarket white
Not really.
The ingredients to make a 21oz sourdough loaf cost me under 50c. The electricity to run the oven 50 minutes (15 to get it to temp and another 35 to bake the loaf) costs me 11c, so total cost for the sourdough is 61c and 20 minutes of work.
By contrast, Aldi sells cheap white bread at 89c per 20oz loaf, so scaling up to 21oz, it costs 94c.
And a proper sourdough loaf from a proper bakery would set me back $8. A supermarket """"""""sourdough"""""""" would cost $5.

Because I live in the big, scary city, baking my own is far cheaper than any other alternative. And, actually, even if I lived in the boonies, it'd still be cheaper because driving costs.

So I don't understand, what point is there in making your own bread?

>usually way too much for one person to use before it goes bad
>goes bad faster than store bought
>bread is pretty not good for you anyways, so even if it isn't too much for you you are likely a fat piece of shit
>only so many things to just eat along with bread

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have home made bread to eat for sandwiches and like with some cheese, but I feel like I'd do it once or twice and then the bread would go bad because there is no fucking way I'm going to eat that entire loaf in less than 3-5 days or however long.

See >simply bake smaller loaves
>my standard loaf uses 250g of flour, give or take and gives me four servings of bread
>[leftover bread that's gone stale] gets cubed and dried out for stuffing or bread pudding
It's a small loaf, roughly 10-11oz in size.

>ur fat!!!
Nope.

>all you can eat bread with is sandwiches!!!
I can't even remember the last time I had a sandwich.

>only so many things you can just eat with bread
You can replace 'bread' in that sentence with any carb, really. I eat bread as my staple carb the same way some cultures eat rice, pasta/noodles or mashed potato. Most of my meals centre about bread as the staple in some way or other. If you or your culture don't have as many meals you can build around a few slices of bread, that's fine, but mine does so that's what I eat.

It's less apt to fuck with the yeast action.

More delicious micro plastics. Sea salt is just plain nasty.

45p here for Tesco Everyday Value white bread 800g. But the stuff is shite.
The ingredients for me to make a sourdough loaf is probably around 40p plus whatever electricity is used. Its definitely worth it if I have the time

Here are 3 reasons:

1. It tastes infinitely better
2. It's cheaper
3. It's highly satisfying and enjoyable

Also, freeze it. Make your sandwiches frozen and by lunch time they're fresh. Or defrost in microwave or toaster if you can't wait

>get married
>get kids
>fucking have people take you care enough to share the bread with

for fuck sakes, don't be such a beta

>why people have hobbies stop having hobbies

But I'm sterile, and my gf doesn't eat carbs because of diet.

I'll try freezing, but I know my dad used to freeze store bought bread when I was a kid and it always tasted super shit.

Baking shouldn't be a hobby desu. Baking is a means to an end, making it a hobby just makes you have more food than you need which usually leads to fatness. If you want to bake for a hobby, open a bakery or work in one. There, now you get paid for your hobby, you stay fit and happy, and you are able to have a bit of your own baking whenever you want.

holy shit you for real

>what is self control?

> my dad used to freeze store bought bread

Store bought bread ain't fresh. If you freeze fresh bread as soon as it cools, it tastes fresh when it thaws

>if you want to make it a hobby, make it your career

Nigga, did you even read what you just said?

>live alone
>want to bake
>want some muffins
>"Well, a whole dozen muffins is bad for me, and eating muffins everyday so they wont spoil is also bad for me, so I'll just reduce the recipe and make 2 muffins instead."

Are you even baking at this point? Why heat up the house with a hot ass oven for hours to make yourself some over-glorified junk food? It doesn't make sense. Baking as a hobby doesn't work if you want to stay health conscious unless you are literally giving away most of what you make. So it only works for a family or someone who is selling the goods. Otherwise you are just wasting food or wasting time.

Help me out anons, trying to make a sourdough starter. I give up on finding unsweetened pineapple juice that doesn't come in a massive fucking can. Can I just use water instead? I think I saw an user say 50g flour and 50g water to start it off, will that work?

>unless you are literally giving away most of what you make. So it only works for a family or someone who is selling the goods.

or ya know, give it to your friends. oh thats right, you don't have those

Sorry, my friends aren't fat like yours.

Adopt. Raising a child is part of human experience. Or just fuck bake smaller breads.

>only fat people eat bread

Cakes and muffins, unlike sourdough bread, have a large amount of fat. The fat in them keeps them from seeming stale anywhere near as quickly. Whereas sourdough bread will start to seem stale and bad only a few hours after cooling, properly stored cake or muffin can stay good for several days.
I baked a banana corn cake a few weeks ago. It's a simple recipe: butter, sugar, eggs, mashed banana, plain flour, Mexican corn flour, bicarb, a dash of vinegar and a pinch of salt. Made a 400g or so loaf cake. Took me a little over two weeks to get through it and I didn't much notice a decline in quality. I had slices of it at breakfast on alternating mornings.
Didn't give any away. Didn't sell any. And none had gone spoiled nor stale.
I tell you this to illustrate that you don't have to eat 400g of cake in one go.

>but if you eat cake, you're a fatty fatty fatty fat and/or unhealthy!!
Cake is one of the more typical breakfasts in my country and no only are we among the thinnest people on Earth but we also have one of the longest lifespans and are home to the second most active geriatric population (after Japan), implying that we enjoy good health well into old age. Cake can't be all that bad for you.

>bake smaller breads
As has been suggested several times ITT already.

It's a food and cooking board, I don't know what else to say to you. Nobody is going to force you to eat a whole loaf of bread in one day. You can share it or portion and freeze

>eating an entire cake over the course of a few days
>not bad
?

Nigger, two weeks is 14 days. A little over 14 days is 15+ days. And you'd be hard fucking pressed to find anyone who thinks "a few" is ≥15.
You're the load your mother should have swallowed.

>properly stored cake or muffin can stay good for several days

Christ on a bike, you sound insufferable

>conveniently ignoring the "little over two weeks" part

glad to see this thread is still going. i'm about to feed my starters.

that looks dense and gross

Looks OK too me.
Nice piece of bread to chew on.

What?

good question user

Thank you so much! The part about the proofing times makes sense but I'd never thought about it before.

im a skinny guy and i do that once in a while, a slice for breakfast and a slice after dinner and the cake goes pretty fast
just lower the intake somewhere else and you will be fine

ciabattas resting

nice job