Are dry aged steaks a meme?

are dry aged steaks a meme?

or are they actually better?

The taste is more pronounced, but whether or not you like it isn't really something anyone else can tell you.

I would recommend staying under 30 day dry aged if you have never done it before.

45-90 day gets to be fairly different from what a non-dry aged steak tastes like. 120 day should be avoided unless you know you like it. (and I doubt you're willing to pay that much anyway)

If you have a decent grocery store or butcher nearby you can buy some dry aged steaks for a decent price (my local grocery store has dry aged rib eye and new york strips for $20-25/lb, filet for $25-30/lbs.)

>The taste is more pronounced, but whether or not you like it isn't really something anyone else can tell you.

This right here. /thread.

They aren't good. They get too dry. I like a juicy steak

this was my dry aged new york strip last week.

It was plenty juicy.

We always dry age ours in the fridge for 3-5 days before cooking. It seems to tenderize it a bit and condense the flavor.

>in the fridge for 3-5 days

Lol, that's not dry aging that's just storing meat before cooking. For dry aging you have to have a digital thermostatically controlled cooling chamber with a humidifier and digital humidistat. The good news is you can rig one up with a cheap used refrigerator.

Dry aging is just a technique to remove water.

When you reduce your sauces, do they get more flavorful? Same idea.

>The good news is you can rig one up with a cheap used refrigerator.

Or, we can use our actual refrigerator, you foppish fag. This isn't fucking rocket science. Put it in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, poke a bunch of holes, wait.

>unrendered fat
>garbage """sear"""
too bad you didn't know how to prepare it

>Put it in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, poke a bunch of holes, wait.

Cool. And while you're at it do a dry aged salami or ham the same way because, fuck muh (((science))). In your imbecelic dry aging for steak enjoy rotting a piece of meat. In my latter proposal, which you really must do, enjoy eating the undetectable botulism toxin. Please lose a chromosome before you kill innocent people.

>enjoy eating the undetectable botulism toxin
confirmed for being dumber than the guy you're replying to

>muh botulism toxin has flavor and odor

The fact you believe this gives me great pleasure since it ensures you likely won't reproduce.

>all this asshurt
Lol you mad boi

The person what took those pics helped retrieve the ducklings, right? :(

yes, but it's like Kobe. 99% of the time when you see it on a menu it's not what you are getting.

its not that bad, more like 50% of the time for dry aged.

Dry aging is quite common in comparison to real Kobe.

>botulism toxin
>aerobic environment
Look at this pleb, posting on Veeky Forums and he doesn't even know Clostridium botulinum only grows in an anaerobic environment.

Are you a dog or something? Why bother cooking it at all if you're just gonna eat it raw like a fucking savage?

It's rare.

If it were mine, I'd probably have done a reverse sear on it - just a bit past blue with a nice, solid crusting on it... or at least cross hatched the bastard, but I do like me some rare beef - the textural difference between the sear and the meat, and how well/how much better it seems to take seasoning.

I have a friend that dry ages steaks and invites me to try them out.

I like anywhere from 30 to 60 days, the meat is more tender and the taste is more pronounced, as other anons have said. Once, we tried a 180 day, which was disgusting and similar to blue cheese, in a bad way.

it's fucking raw

More like put the meat on a rack, with a pan under it in the open air of the fridge for a month. Clean off any mold that formed, and cook.

>Clostridium botulinum only grows in an anaerobic environment

The air in a refrigerator has a very low humidity. Without a humidifier and humidistat to keep the humidity relatively high, the outside of the steak will dry much more rapidly than the interior which at the very least will cause rotting of the interior and can create an anaerobic environment in the meat. Same is true of attempting to dry cure sausages in a standard refrigerator. But by all means ignore this. As I said before, the world only improves when retards act in ways that eliminate them from the gene pool.