Chef Knives

It's simple: post your chef knife or and roast others. I'll start.

>he unironically thinks his chinkshit jap knife is better than my new Wüsthof Classic Ikon
o im laffin now

Eight years.
Chop stuff daily to tri-weekly.
No chips.
Sharpened once, when it was still sharper than freshly sharpened steel.
Not a meme. I'm just better than you.

I've got a Wusthof 20cm Grand Prix 2. I'm kind of over the western style Chefs knife to be honest.

I had a play around with one of the shitter Victorinox santoku knives at work, I like them a lot more.

Might lash out and get a proper Japanese handmade one other than those overpriced Shuns.

ceramic is abrasive, it's not sharp. It's garbage compared to a good rockwell steel.

My favorite

do you people buy these knives and just let them rot on the vine?

Wouldn't last a week at my job, straight into the bin with this shit.

guess you don't work at a world-class restaurant.

stop saying "ceramic isn't used for work" it isn't used for your work because you don't have a michelin star

look up the difference in food oxidization using ceramic vs steel. you're welcome

Get on my level pussies

Miyabi Fusion 8 inch Chef Knife.
Had it for about 3 years. Has held up to the kitchen I work in but is only brought out for prep. The guys I work with abuse knives so this one stays tucked in the bag with a guard.

>several knives by the same brand that aren't balanced the same
genuine consumerist retard this is actually one of the funniest posts i've ever seen

>post your chef knife
Which one exactly?

Can I mail you some cheap straight razors that I need honed?

I have never honed a straight razor before to be honest .... also I am located in central Europe.

is the fourth paring knife from the left a victorinox? I have the same one if so

Just curious why? Like I get flack at my job (white table cloth place in a swanky city hotel) for having three knives (a loaner Walmart knife, and two miabi one for meat prep and another for whatever station I'm on) why so many though just as a collection?

was going to complain about the lack of butt plugs or toilet paper in your picture, but then i noticed the heroine utensils and it was all fine

Why do you even need that meme knife? From the looks of it, you never use it.

affordable: Hampton Forge Continental 8" ~$15 (this one is surprisingly sharp)
mid range: victornox 8-inch pro chef ~$50 (muh cia)
upper tier: wusthoff classic ~$90
wasting your money tier: miyabi, santoku, and other jap shit

Just steel your knives every once a week for a couple seconds, jesus.

Threadly reminder that not having a rune powered knife is a bannable offense.

>run of the mill Chinese knife
>sharpen for generations
>after 10 generations it will look like a knife
Crude but longetive

I own a set of the Victornox and they are fantastic for a cheap price

I bought one of those at the restaurant supply shop in chinatown. Heat treat is shockingly bad, assuming it was heat treated at all

I got a couple of Japanese knives on amazon for 20 bucks a piece on black friday! They should be a huge upgrade over my Farberwares from Target. Feels good man.

"santokus" are good for chopping onions and shallots and that's about it. It's not really an all-purpose knife style.

>meming this hard
Kiritsukes are the new santokus if you want to be trendy and "with it"

I still use my aogami #2 santoku that I bought in 2003 when the santoku trend was peaking because onions/shallots/garlic/peppers are like, 40% of my weekly calorie intake

IDGAF if knife memesters born after 9/11 wouldn't be caught dead with one, if you don't eat enough onions and shallots to see the benefit of a knife that's good with onions and shallots, it's likely you don't care about food to begin with. I bet you have the cilantro is icky genetic defect

The real 'meme' is Japanese knives in general. You fell for the meme in 2003. Give me a western knife that can rock back and forth comfortably and with fluidity rather than that jap chop chop shit.

Here is the first kitchen knife I made a few months ago. And next to it is the second one I'm working on now. It started out as a gyuto, but I made some mistakes along the way and it turned into more of a santoku. The steel is Nitro-V and the handle is desert ironwood.

Rocking is a workaround for having a poorly maintained knife. It stands to reason one would make a lot of knives with that profile if you didn't have steel that could hold an edge. But your average big-belly German-style chef knife, with the big horrible bolster and X50CrMoV15 steel, is optimized to not crack when a housewife uses it as a can opener. Of course, edge holding is less of a concern considering people like that are afraid of sharp objects.

Heyy... That's pretty good.

Thanks, I've been building up to making my own kitchen knives for many years. It's been a long, painful learning process.

mine

What always gets me about these threads is there are people out there who just buy fancy expensive German or Japanese knives and say only say the're good when compared to cheap knives because they come sharp from the factory and they can't sharpen their knives acceptably themselves, it's not that hard to bring a knife to the point that you can shave with.

IMO the we're at a point with steel making that even cheap chinkshit blades will hold an acceptable edge for general use provided you can actually sharpen it.

What's wrong with it?

>all those nicks

Please don't cook for other people.

Patrician knife set.

what country if i may ask?

Actually, I practiced putting an edge on a shitty Walmart knife (on the left) before I got my new fancy knife. The Walmart knife is sharper now, but that doesn't change the fact that it feels like a cheap piece of shit. I'll put a nice new edge on the Wüsthof once it dulls.

It certainly looks very nice. Just how much of the making did you do? You machined the whole thing?

I like my Global set, they have a few rust spots on the blade and handle but that's mostly because I'm lazy and stick them in the dishwasher sometimes

>stick them in the dishwasher sometimes
YOU CAN'T FUCKING DO THAT EVER!!!1!

What kind of dumb cunt talks about oxidation when food is going to the table in minutes? This is why Veeky Forums is looked at like a bunch of children.

Looks nice.

>This is why Veeky Forums is looked at like a bunch of children.
Nah, that would be because of all the fucking fast food and candy threads, and junior high level shitposting that goes on...

I start out with a bar of steel, cut it, grind it, heat treat, and mount the handle on it. It takes about 10 hours from start to finish, but I space it out over a couple of weeks when I have time and motivation.

good jon user.
looks nice!
i noticed you said you did the heat treating yourself: can you comment on that for us?
wondering about the process.

Solingen Steel > anything else ever

all you need to know.

Extensive knife collection, heroin addiction.

A true chef. Id drink a beer with you.

those syringes that you idiots see look like they're for suirting oil/lube into some small mechanical thing

>>Global

Cuck

>>Michelin star dish pig

Topkek

Solingen is a city in Germany. It is not a grade or type of steel. Perhaps you meant to say knives made in Solingen are better than anything else ever?

very cool

Actually the syringes and needles are for refilling the cartridges of my fountain pens ...

I'm located in southern Germany. If you really need a professional sharpenning job performed I recommend you contact Jürgen Schanz in Stutensee, he is a world renowned bladesmith and will also perform sharpening jobs. I have had six of my kitchen knives thinned by him, I was very pleased with his work. Cost me under 15€ per knive, excluding shipping. Your razors ought to be way less. But why don't you learn to sharpen them yourself? A 3000-5000 grit stone and a leather strap with some fine chromium oxide paste should give you very good results. For more info ask on kitchenkniforums.com or bladeforums.com. There are some real pros on those forums.

These are my regular knives I use, but I have others

I’ve seen plenty of michelin starred places where the chef uses a metal knife. A japanese one at that.

fags
My nigga

fuck you know about shun, son

Want to buy a big ol kitchen knife for the old lady for christmas. Would a €50 Victorinox or Wusthof ok? Which one?

Of those two, if it's for home use and you just want something to throw around, Vic

how does she like to cut?

this shit pisses me off to no end, if you're going to buy a knife for someone, you should know how the fuck they like their knife to be balanced

if someone bought me a knife for christmas, 90% chance i'd say "oh, sorry, this brand/style is not to my usage/taste and i will probably return it and get one i would actually use" except i'm not a meanie so i'd say thanks then go do that without saying it

your mother will probably not do that so please for the love of god just get her something nice that she'll enjoy, even just watch how she cuts to decide what you should get

it's a bit of a meme but a good rule of thumb is - rocking cuts/cutting from the base then get a wusthof as they are great for this. however, victorinox are not the same case. whereas almost all wusthof knives are balanced this way to keep in line with european cooking, victorinox is (from all the ones i have tried - i have never and would never purchase one for myself or anyone else, personal preference) seem balanced towards the center/tip similar to asian knives, great for chopping

at the end of the day, it's a $50 knife. it's whatever, especially considering it's just gonna be an all-purpose knife for your mom. get the one that'll feel and look nice. i'll shill 6" wusthofs as the best "first-time-buyer" knife until i die so please take my post with a grain of salt

nobody thinks that, you’re arguing with a person that only exists in your head

I'm not that same guy, but I can see where he's coming from. I've seen countless posts on this board in a knife thread in which someone posts something like "I bought X knife and it's great because it's really sharp".

That's fucking retarded because any knife--or heck, any random piece of steel, no matter how shitty--can be given a razor sharp edge. The sharpness of a knife only speaks to the sharpening job, which is moot because you'll be redoing it many times anyway. What matters regarding as quality knife is its ergonomics, materials, construction, etc. Pretty much every factor OTHER than sharpness.

this board gets several knife threads every week and each one gets hundreds of replies. it’s been like this for years. you could cherry pick almost anything out of that ocean of piss and claim that “tons of people think ulus are the best” or whatever. doesn’t make it a real problem

the real cancer is the people who get asspained because someone said “honed” when they meant “sharpened” or they advocated trailing strokes and sperglord McAssburgers only approved of leading strokes

She pretty much never-ever chops with the base (while keeping the tip on board), rather cuts with the tip. She has a uni-tasker for cutting onion.
Victorinox it is, then.

That's so cool. You have no idea how much I envy you and your workshop.

These people work so others can create better things with their product.

Is mercer a decent brand of chef knives?

I didn't know DIO posted on Veeky Forums

Brainlet here. Explain why I need more than one knife

It's useful for pastry

You don't if you learn how to sharpen a blade.

You need a flexible knife to break down a carcass for popping ball joints and things. You need a rigid chef knife for roll-cutting and general work while maintaining an edge. A pairing knife is good for detail work like an elaborate garnish or things like that.

I'm sure there's more examples (bread knife) but yeah, multiple knifes are essential for any cook at home or as a career.

Paring knife has been superseded by a peeler.

>Paring knife has been superseded by a peeler
Have fun using the tip of your peeler.

>Is mercer a decent brand of chef knives?
Yes, they are the American Victorinox, just like Dexter-russell

Neat thanks

>multiple knifes are essential for any cook at home
devil's advocate here
i like knives. i have one nice chef's knife (Wustof Pro) and a handful of Kiwi knives which i replace about once every 18 months
sometimes i just use one of the small Kiwis to make dinner and that's all i need.
typically i am not a recipe cook
i cook pretty plain meals - usually some kind of meat, a vegetable and rice/potato
sometimes just a salad
and i always use a peeler for potatoes

>which i replace about once every 18 months
Why on earth do yu replace them so frequently? How often do you sharpen them to wear out so quickly? Oh wait, you don't sharpen them, you just throw them away when they are blunt, right? What a shame. Fuck.

Got myself an affordable meme knife. It's great, although I wish I bought a bigger one. I was never a fan of big knives, always preferred pairing and utility knives, but now that I'm used to the 8 inch it actually starts to feel small.

ok, thinking about it, it's probably more luike 24 - 36 months

other people in my family use them and they get mistreated. tossed in dishwasher, tossed into a drawer together, used to pry shit, tips bend, edges bent, chipped etc

i do sharpen them. they get a good edge pretty easily, but the last batch was pretty thrashed

Why buy Wusthof Classic Ikon when a CarboNext can be had for less money?

i want to buy a proper chef knife, but i'm left-handed. does that change anything?

Nobody uses measuring syringes to shoot up you spastic

>cartridge pens
absolutely disgusting, I bet you buy those montblanc limited edition pens named after middlebrow novelists and such, where it' $40 worth of gold in the nib, $0.25 worth of plastic (oops I mean "precious resin), and no actual fountain pen mechanics to speak of other than a sharp tube on which to jab the disposable syringes, for the bargain price of $800

germany forgot how to make pens, it seems the japanese have taken over that job, much as they did with knives

Western knives are basically all ambidextrous.

Most Japanese knives are right handed - either because of handle shape or because of blade angle.

I think the philosophy is you don't need a knife that holds an edge you can just sharpen it every time you use it
Iv had a couple of these one was sharp enough to shave with and cut tomatoes so they're see through but lost the edge after a few uses and I haven't been able to get it quite as sharp again the other one was less sharp but better steel

I'm not a chef but I did some training as a black Smith so reakon I understand knives pretty good

lol

most people in japan are not using D-handle usubas and yanagis, you sperg

at worst maybe you'll find a 70/30 angle on some carbon steel gyutos, but you can treat those like a 50/50 edge

nobody is going to end up with a single-bevel blade by accident. nobody

dude, you know nothing about knives.

Santokus are literally for suburban moms who don't have good form. That's why those door to door salesman shill them so hard in suburbia. Every non-normie western chef knows this.

I wouldn't know, I don't live in suburbia and I've never seen a door to door knife salesman. I bought mine at Korin. that's a store, you've probably never heard of it.

There are 30/70 blades for left-handed people.

>I wouldn't know
you don't know a lot of things

Western chef knives and the rocking motion is CIA 101. Let ew guess you're citing jap retail stores because you didn't go to culinary school.

yes, they're western type blades that happen to have a slightly asymmetric bevel, and you can just sharpen them like they're 50/50, or if you want, like they're 70/30

handedness is literally a non-issue on anything other than yanagis, usubas, debas, and that sort of thing. not for the handle, not for the blade. the only borderline case might be for western handle honesukis and other highly specialized knives. again, not something that you end up buying by accident

I thought that but didn't want to say anything incase it made me look like a retard although it was fucking obvious ad they where next to ink cartridges

>a cooking school that prepares people to cook for western chefs in western kitchens with western equipment is teaching knife technique that works best for western equpiment
your point being?

if you want to brag that you wasted $50k learning how to wash your hands after going to the toilet and wear the no-cut safety gloves, go crazy. but that's not going to convince me to throw out a knife that's served me just fine for longer than you've been struggling to keep up with interest payments

Anyone ever used this brand of knife before?

Had a small set in our house growing up and the chef knife has become my absolute favorite. It even holds a better edge than my Wusthof ikon knives

I have a "Old Homestead" 10 in. chef knife. Got it for free. I like the knife, but I need to get a good stone, so I can get it sharper.
anyone here have any Old Homestead? or heard anything good or bad about them?
mine is like the pic, except newer. it says Japan stainless

I got my knives at Value Village