B12 and being vegan

Ok Veeky Forums I need your help. I've always believed being vegan is a way to graveyard, especially when you ignore the B12. However, I did some research and right now I seriously consider maybe becoming a vegan.

My reasons are mostly concerns about fats. It seems nearly all foods of animal source have a rather bad combination of fats, tending to relatively lack linoleic acids in comparison to rather high saturated fats. It also seems I can get all the essential nutrients from foods of plant source in a healthy way, except for B12.

My reasons are not compassion towards animals, so I can eat a juicy steak once in a while as a cheat meal. Or a chunk of cheese. However, I was wondering what would you consider to be a good way for getting B12 considering my concerns? Also, realistically, how long one can go without B12, and how bad do you fuck up yourself if you completely abstain from it?

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/daily-source-of-vitamin-b12/
nutritionfacts.org/video/cheapest-source-of-vitamin-b12/
medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000723.htm
nutritionfacts.org/video/new-vitamin-b12-test/
telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/29/long-term-vegetarian-diet-changes-human-dna-raising-risk-of-canc/
ibtimes.co.uk/vegetarian-diet-linked-heart-disease-cancer-1552129
newsmax.com/health/Health-News/vegetarian-cancer-mental-health/2014/04/02/id/563316/
express.co.uk/life-style/health/656708/vegetarianism-long-term-lead-to-cancer-heart-disease-experts-hazard-cornell-university
researchgate.net/blog/post/human-genome-shaped-by-vegetarian-diet-increases-risk-of-cancer-and-heart-disease
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just use supplement

meat, retard. no reason to be vegan except morals.

Marmite.

>However, I did some research

you're full of shit tbqh

What do you mean by that? The next paragraph explains the kind of research I did. Of course 'research' was limited to googling, but I used reliable sources on .gov resources.

Just get a bottle from Costco. It's like 3 - 4 dollars per year.

Check labdoor to know which ones are legit.

Liquid Hydroxycobalamin.

pretty sure oysters have b12 in them, and they're probably not sentient lolz

>I was wondering what would you consider to be a good way for getting B12
Supplement tablets. They're cheap.

What am I supposed to grasp from this image?

get a b12 shot once a month in your ass, tell your doc you are a vegan and ask him if he can prescribe you some intramuscular b12 shots, usualy they are taken once a month and they will be enough

marmite you mong

I believe your body can store b12 relatively well. I you are going to eat red meat once a month as a cheat then you may not even need supplements, though its so cheap, its "cheap insurance". The b12 deficiency stuff is a concern promoted by meat heads so they can continue to eat meat as a main entree 4 times a day. I am 2/3rd vegan, meaning 2 of my 3 daily meals are vegan. 1/3rd is usually vegetarian, but sometimes I'll have whatever I want, or whatever I'm stuck with given the restaurant my social group ends up at. Been doing it this way for years with no supplements. Doc tests my blood once a year, says everything looks good. You are what you eat.

if you go vegan, the other B vitamins can be an issue, as well as magnesium, zinc, calcium, and selenium. Actually, these can be an easy deficiency for everyone including meat eaters. Also, if you're just worried about fat profiles, you could try pescetarianism, they have a much better rounded fat profile and the much superior DHA/EPA Omega 3s, rather than the ALA in plant foods.

>animal source have a rather bad combination of fats, tending to relatively lack linoleic acids in comparison to rather high saturated fats
Op is dead on. Myristic and palmitic fatty acids from meat have been linked to cardiovascular disease, gout, diabetes, cancer, and obesity in the same evidentiary category (same statistics confidence) as transfats which were outlawed. Meat is a slow poison. No OP but I got my research from the world health organization which has published guidance on this matter since 2003.

I figured nuts and seeds are rich with most vitamins, minerals and metals. Especially sunflower seeds, as it seems. Looks like I won't be missing anything, except for B12.

As for fish, from what I see it has high ratio of omega-3 to omega-6, but is still not that rich in fats (I'm looking at salmon). And if I'm to get fats from fish, it would also mean getting all my proteins from fish too, which kinda cuts me away from adding any more nuts/seeds, which seem to be much richer with minerals. That's my point, the puzzle of nutrition for me is getting solved in a way of removing animal foods in favor of superior plant foods, except for B12. But so long as I don't mind meat/fish as a cheat meal, looks like that would be it.

Thank you. I basically just use USDA database, but I just started paying attention to total fats and saturated fats amounts (as well as trans fats and cholesterol). And I compared them to recommended daily intakes. I figured some foods are simply too high on 'wrong fats', except nuts/seeds. Animal foods are dumped with too much of saturated fats in comparison to linoleic acids. Hell, even avocado is not so good.

>Myristic and palmitic fatty acids from meat have been linked
bullshit

>cardiovascular disease
the evidence about muh good fatty acids like the omega meme is very weak

>gout
it's unrelated to fat intake you fucknut, it's all about uric acid and its precursor intake
>diabetes
unrelated, diabetes is caused by insulin resistance which happens in fat people, the type of acids you eat is unrelated
>cancer
what?
>obesity
lol no

>high ratio of omega-3 to omega-6
the evidence for being concerned with the omega meme is very flimsy

What makes you think you're getting adequate vitamin and mineral intake from your current diet?

Being deficicent in B12 wont kill you more than you already are with your current diet.

Doubt 1 meal of meat per month could supply enough b12 alone. You have to eat like an lb of beef or 3 lbs of chicken last I checked to get a day's worth of b12. Unless you're going to eat 30lbs of beef one day of the month..
Recommendation might be a bit high though since no one eats that much I don't think.
Oysters seem to be the best option for b12 for those who don't want to eat a lot of meat but also don't want to take supplements. 1 tablespoon will have enough b12 for the day. Liver also has significant amounts but also a lot of vitamin A and too much animal vitamin A is bad for you in excessive amounts and deadly in high enough amounts. You can't overdose on the vitamin A in plants though.

B12 will kill you if you go vegan without a supplement, and with an extremely unpleasant death. Hard to not get enough as an omni because livestock is heavily supplemented with it, they don't get it naturally in their pens. Luckily it's cheap and easy to supplement directly for yourself.

Don’t listen to the pill fags. The bioavailability is shit. Use either topical or sublingual version. Also don’t get the kind that is derived from cyanide or whatever

>stimulatos
>amimals
tutti-frutti aids eating away at you're brain

Oops I meant that ISNT derived from cyanide

>2017, not vapping b12 to get instant dosages
Also you can get omega 3 and 6 fatty acids from hemp seeds.
You can easily make milk with it with 1 tablespoon of it to one cup of water. Use 1 tbsp of agave syrup to sweeten.
Blend 1/3rd cup of cooked quinoa to one cup of hemp milk to make it more creamy.
Clovers and cinnamon to sweeten.
Read somewhere that fish don't actually produce omega 3 and 6, but have it in their system from eating plankton or other ocean plant matter. Don't source me on that last one.

Why would you WANT to become a vegan? Why are you willing to work hard to have a more boring diet?

>b12 shots
wat
bang bang, got shot in the balls
for the vital amines b

Might want to do a little research about the “omega-3s” in hemp, or any plant for that matter. The only legit vegan omega3 source is spirulina, but you kind of have to eat a lot and it’s disgusting

For me chia seeds are far cheeper than hemp seeds and have more omega 3 to 6 if that's what you're going for
Also they taste really good mixed with sweet liquid
Flax has even more omega 3 but tastes bad imo
Haven't tried hemp

I think some seaweeds have it but you have to worry about too much iodine and other things depending on the species
But yeah the type in plants needs to be converted and our bodies can do that but not incredibly well

hemp (or pemp, as it is known in the soviet ukraine) has pretty bad omega 6 to 3 ratio
omega 6 is bad for you, causing inflammation on the solar plexus and heart murmurs

Just eat less meat. You get fat by eating meat with every fucking meal or guzzling fats and sugar. If your concern is morals and you want to silently protest animal abuse in the meat industry, then that's fine too. Just take B12 supplements.

Did a little research and found that hemp seeds do have omega fatty acids

Daily supply you need is 500 milligrams
Which is .5 grams of omega 3 needed

One meal a month I don't think would be enough. What's the recommended intake that you should have? I'd think 1 serving a week would be so much better. And by 1 serving I mean 3 oz of meat, be that red or lean.

ALA (the type of omega 3 in plants) needs to be converted to DHA and EPA
Your body can do this but it's not very good at it
So it's not going to be the exact same recommendation

Omega 6 isn't bad as long as you don't ingest large amounts.
3 to 4 tablespoons of hemp seeds Wii Easley get you to your daily news of omega 3 and 6 without over doing it.
Also you just have to be wary of what pulls your using.

Did not know that
I'll have to research that up

Hemp is bomb
Makes bomb milk like i said earlier and you can even make it into a ranch dressing or sour cream if you whip up some aquafaba.

Steve jobs was a fruitivore. look at him now

Fortified foods or supplements. Be careful some supplements and some foods that have "B12" are B12 analogues which dont raise B12 levels and can inhibit its absorption. Those are usually stuff like edible algae though not really fortified cereals

Nice evidence

He also had HIV

> It also seems I can get all the essential nutrients from foods of plant source in a healthy way, except for B12.
You're correct. B12 isn't made by plants or animals but bacteria that live in the environment. It's one of the only macronutrients you can't obtain well from diet. The other is Vitamin D which comes from sun exposure (which is why you should make sure you're getting extra since you are likely a basement dweller like me and also wear clothes on the rare occasions you venture outside).
> However, I was wondering what would you consider to be a good way for getting B12 considering my concerns?
Supplements are the cheapest, safest, and simplest form to get it. Either as at least 2500 mcg once/week or 250 mcg/day. No, they don't add up the same because of how the body (poorly) absorbs and stores it. See here:
nutritionfacts.org/video/daily-source-of-vitamin-b12/
nutritionfacts.org/video/cheapest-source-of-vitamin-b12/
Unless you are getting a megadose shot as some have suggest in this thread, there is no risk of overdosing either.

>and how bad do you fuck up yourself if you completely abstain from it?
Nervous system damage and spinal cord deterioration. No, I'm not kidding.
medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000723.htm

If you get paranoid a periodic methylmalonic acid (MMA) urine test can give you peace of mind.
nutritionfacts.org/video/new-vitamin-b12-test/

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/29/long-term-vegetarian-diet-changes-human-dna-raising-risk-of-canc/

ibtimes.co.uk/vegetarian-diet-linked-heart-disease-cancer-1552129

newsmax.com/health/Health-News/vegetarian-cancer-mental-health/2014/04/02/id/563316/

express.co.uk/life-style/health/656708/vegetarianism-long-term-lead-to-cancer-heart-disease-experts-hazard-cornell-university

researchgate.net/blog/post/human-genome-shaped-by-vegetarian-diet-increases-risk-of-cancer-and-heart-disease

don't wash your vegetables. the microbes in the dirt give you b12. eat sea vegetables.

Eat a cooked oyster once per week.

when you take into account the amount of pesticides sprayed on fruit and vegetables no wonder you get side effects. Vegetarian diet per se is healthy but you ingest huge amounts of toxins without knowing it.

I thought hemp seeds are barely edible. I've tried flaxseeds in the past and couldn't eat them at all. I even tried a flaxseed pate, and it was also too sticky and unpleasant.

I don't want to become vegan. Just in a process of shaping a perfect balanced diet I happened to remove all the animal foods, hitting all the nutrients perfectly except for B12. I wonder why you think being vegan is a hard work. Me too was hating on vegans, but I guess no more.

>only legit vegan omega3 source is spirulina
Hey what about walnuts?

Is chia edible? They look like tiny rocks.

Nah bro, there are lots of bullshit articles around the web, the only way to find truth among them is to go for .gov resources.

Or nutritional yeast. Apparently it tastes similar to cheese. Just season your fucking foods with it. Or drink fortified plant milk.

B12 in meat comes from B12 supplements given to farm animals.

B12 in ancient times came from a variety of bacteria that had a symbiotic relationship with animals. Today we use constant low level doses of antibiotics in farm animals because some scientists figured out that it reduces the amount of livestock feed that they need to be given due to changes in the gut bacteria. As a consequence most of the time the only bacteria that occurs in farm animals is the kind that can send you to the hospital because all the normal ones are dead.

Most B12 supplements contain way too much B12 because B12 is also an "energy supplement" and most people take it for the energy boost. Taking too much B12 every day fucks up your own bacteria, leading to, among other things, folliculitis and acne.

If you are a vegan, taking a B complex with no more than 20 mcg of B12 is a good idea. Note, your average B12 supplement contains closer to 1000 mcg per dose. This is ok every now and then but taking this every day is not a good idea.

Meat is unnecessary. There is no reason to eat meat except cultural baggage. The meat industry receives heavy subsidies and promotes a wasteful agricultural system that overuses fossil fuels and monoculture, enriches a small number of corrupt interests, and causes drugs that are critical to public health to become useless in exchange for artificially cheap meat. There is nothing wrong with liking the taste of meat, because taste is subjective. Some people also like to grind up rhino horns, or shoot endangered elephants for fun. Because "we're at the top of the food chain", or something. The irony is that grinding up rhino horns and shooting endangered elephants is far less likely to come back and bite us in the ass than systematically destroying the portfolio of antibiotics that we depend on to maintain a modern health care system. But hey, fuck health right? If people don't want to get life-threatening infections they shouldn't go near hospitals.

>B12 in ancient times came from a variety of bacteria that had a symbiotic relationship with animals. Today we use constant low level doses of antibiotics in farm animals because some scientists figured out that it reduces the amount of livestock feed that they need to be given due to changes in the gut bacteria. As a consequence most of the time the only bacteria that occurs in farm animals is the kind that can send you to the hospital because all the normal ones are dead.
This is just sad.

Sea veg is fukn rad

It tastes like Parmesan cheese pretty much

I take half a multivitamin maybe 2x a week and occasionally drink fortified nut milks. I’ve read that the body rations b12 and a moderate amount is healthy. I’ve also read more than one interview where lifelong vegans just eat sensibly and never worry about it

On Chia - yes they're edible. They're fine to crunch. They take on their coolest texture/taste when soaked whole but some think you can't break down the fiber to get the nutrients unless you blend them (idk)

Oh also I just looked and apparently sardines are very high in b12.
And they're pretty low in mercury
And have DHA/EPA
So look into sardines or oysters - either should only require one or two tablespoons to give you enough b12 for a day.
> Hey what about walnuts?
All plant omega 3 is ALA which needs to be converted to DHA and EPA which the body doesn't do well
Use cronometer/nutritiondata websites to check general nutrient levels
Toxins are in everything (even naturally) and many could bio-accumulate in the animals that eat them (plants/smaller organisms)
I'd say pesticides on vegetables/fruit are not a concern considering the benefit

>Meat is unnecessary. There is no reason to eat meat except cultural baggage. The meat industry receives heavy subsidies and promotes a wasteful agricultural system that overuses fossil fuels and monoculture, enriches a small number of corrupt interests, and causes drugs that are critical to public health to become useless in exchange for artificially cheap meat. There is nothing wrong with liking the taste of meat, because taste is subjective. Some people also like to grind up rhino horns, or shoot endangered elephants for fun. Because "we're at the top of the food chain", or something. The irony is that grinding up rhino horns and shooting endangered elephants is far less likely to come back and bite us in the ass than systematically destroying the portfolio of antibiotics that we depend on to maintain a modern health care system.
go suck a dick, friend, today I will eat twice as much meat just to spite retards like you

>I'd say pesticides on vegetables/fruit are not a concern considering the benefit
I can say the same about meat, son

>B12 in ancient times came from a variety of bacteria that had a symbiotic relationship with animals. Today we use constant low level doses of antibiotics in farm animals because some scientists figured out that it reduces the amount of livestock feed that they need to be given due to changes in the gut bacteria. As a consequence most of the time the only bacteria that occurs in farm animals is the kind that can send you to the hospital because all the normal ones are dead.
pls provide source, because that smells like bullshit

Depends on who you talk to
I won't say for sure but just from what I've seen meat seems slightly better for athletic performance with vegetables better for longevity
Also on the toxin thing - some of the toxins in agriculture will be more concentrated in meat through bioaccumulation though not all will do that.

the white meat of poultry (dinosaur) is lean and healthy in moderation and has b12
non fat milk and yogurt has b12, and tastes great with artificial sweetener.
I rarely eat meat or fat.

Most toxins get caught up by the liver. I doubt theres much toxins in the actual meat

Well probiotics are a thing that said I've never heard of probiotics in meats

The topical/sublingual version is often just methylcobalamin, that's incomplete (body can't convert it to Adenosylcobalamin).

You need either Cyanocobalamin, Hydroxycobalamin or a mix of Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin. The cyanide one is the cheapest.

I have burgers with spirulina periodically. They have b12. Dunno if it's enough

Stay mad and good counter!

maddox called, he wants his 2003 jokes back

It's hilarious too because the only one they're hurting in the end is themselves.

"I'll fuck my body up twice as much to spite you."

Ok.

>meat is unnecessary
not an argument. iphones are unnecessary. computers are unnecessary. Veeky Forums is unnecessary. convincing other people that your dietary choices are suprior to theirs is unnecssary. life is fucking unnecessary.

You were the one who brought up the necessity argument, not me. Funny how suddenly it's inconvenient and you want to get rid of it :-)

Maybe, next time, try to find a different way of promoting your point of view

p.s. I'm not a vegan, but I am definitely a better person than you

>devolves into nihilism

Clearly if you're the type that thinks everything is pointless, what are you even doing arguing a point?

Yeah loads of shit is unnecessary but that's not how society works brainlet. We examine things we do and slowly shift to what society in general sees as better.

Maybe it should be rephrased:

Any diet with animal products in it, even the best one, will be objectively worse than the best vegan one.

Not one time the vegetardians provided sources for their claims. Realy made me think.

Energy and soy drinks got plenty of B6 and B12

Drink supermalt and put vegemite in your food and your sorted
Also you could just take b vitamins

only carnist bro science can be posted without extensive citations for every sentence

benis

Every Vegan should sip.

B12? Boys 12?