I've got a recipe that calls for Portuguese smoked sausage aka Linguica but I can't source that so what's a good...

I've got a recipe that calls for Portuguese smoked sausage aka Linguica but I can't source that so what's a good substitute that I could find in America? Or if anybody could describe it that would be very nice as well. I was just going to get a hillshire farms one if I can't get a recommendation

Other urls found in this thread:

meatsandsausages.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

chorizo

it would have to be spanish which I can't source either, just the wet mexican kind

Pork Louisiana Hot Links taste similar

are those widely distributed though?

It really doesn't make a difference.
Just get spicy sausage

Which is trash. You can buy linguica in America tho. I do it all the time. You can also buy Spanish chorizo. Even if it's not on Google I know for a fact a few California based companies sell on Amazon.

I'm surprised you can't find any, ive never had any trouble. do you have a grocery outlet near you ? the 3 or 4 I've been to hsve always had linguica

Kys. Linguica is a unique pork, garlic, and wine sausage

Im not american but whatever spicy sosig with loads of fat should do

Have any friends in Hawai'i?

Fucking phone posting I meant grocer not Google.

Yes, hot links are super common in the US

>substitutions aren't a thing in recipes

This nigga srs right now?

Whatcha making op?

Yes. I'm very particular about my sausages.

But they taste nothing like linguica

Mexican chorizo > Spanish chorizo

See if you can find some Mexican longaniza. It's the closest thing to Spanish/Portuguese sausage that I've been able to find in an American grocery store.

>Beef lips and chili powder
>Cured pork and garlic and paprika
There's no way you believe this.

In what flyover shithole do you live where you can't find Linguica? Even if you don't have a local portuguese market (or decent size population in my case) you can find it in any shitty super market.

>muh multiculti cesspool

There actually is a sizable number of Portuguese diaspora in Hawaii but nice try

There aren't a whole lot of Portuguese (and thus markets) outside of the northeast, and even then they stick to the coasts

Ironic coming from someone that has a new one jammed up their asshole most weekends.

There is a lot of Portuguese in California

Any kind of smoked sausage with paprika and garlic in it. You could probably get a smoked garlic sausage without paprika and just add more paprika powder to the recipe. If you can't find anything like that, you're kinda out of luck.

But what are you making?

i live in an old fishing village in massachusetts and linguica is king. There are a million varieties, but pretty much whatever spicy pork sausage you can find will do. chorizo is a totally adequate substitute.

What's the festa scene like bro?

Andouille

It's pretty fun except it's mostly overrun by the gays now. They think every festival is theirs. Good street food tho

Is it the Portuguese soup Chef John did?

It's called caldo verde and I think op abondoned the thread a long time ago

just use italian sausage and some smoked paprika

That wouldn't come out right at all. Italian sausage contains many extra seasonings not found in linguica

yeah

>lterally eating SoySage.

Good job ki.d

Because op bounced I made a proper caldo verde with pan fried spicy linguica

Portuguese American here. Where do you live? You can usually find Gaspar's brand most places in the US.

Looks a little watery compared to Chef Johns desu.

Just get a sausage you enjoy. My go-to is Andoille, but any smoked sausage should work.

so you cant find any chorizo? yes its not EXACTLY the same but close enough.

Chef John is an ass. I bet he's not even Portuguese.

Go to your nearest Asian market and get Filipino longanisa.

Wisconsin :(

The sausage section is dominated by bratwursts

>Linguica is a unique pork, garlic, and wine sausage
Brazilian here, linguiƧa is a very common ingredient in Brazil and there are tons of variations of it. With that said, why don't you make your own?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I'm 2nding your suggestion of making your own sausage. I think a lot of people are intimidated by it and think it must be some big complicated difficult process, but most sausages are actually really simple to make.

I highly recommend pic related if anyone is interested in getting into sausage making.

You don't have to buy some overpriced book by a meme chef. This site has more than enough accurate information and authentic recipes.

meatsandsausages.com

Overpriced? I found that book to be fantastic value for money, which is why I recommended it.

But sure, you can find info online as well. The other reason I suggested the book is because it avoids the classic noob cooking internet problem: learning to separate the BS from the good info online.

>Many variations
Well yeah but they all have those things and maybe some extra proprietary seasoning but garlic and wine flavored pork is the main flavor. Other members of my family make it and give it to me

T. Tony Joey covelho silveira