>brands
>flavors
>cocktails
>price
>drinking vessels
>bourbon vs scotch
>blended vs single malt
>whisky vs whiskey

Whisky info courtesy of your friendly neighborhood user: ghostbin.com/paste/nkr9v

This is NOT an Al/ck/oholic thread.

shall we enjoy a drink Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blended_malt_whisky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

looking at Glenfiddich for my next bottle. how does it compare to Glenlivet?

>E

Not posting here.

Has anyone here had experience creating a "living Bottle with their scotch? i am about to try it in a couple of weeks. I am lower budget so i was thinking of things like Laphroaig, Glenmoange, and Glen Moray. Is it a bad idea to throw a peat bomb in a living bottle?

>whiskey with an e
I like anime girls in maid outfits, especially if they're lifting their skirts, but not as much as I dislike bourbon, please do better next time

anyway Yamazaki > the rest

I am on the look for the best price/performance ratio scotch, has to be cheap, blended is good, please gib suggestions

Necro bump

best 30 dollar whisky?

I would like to know this as well.

Glenlivet 12 > Glenfiddich 12 imo

Glenlivet hits all the right notes that Glenfiddich doesn't

Jameson tbqh

I haven't found anything good there yet. Whiskey included, there is plenty of nice small batch and single barrel stuff to chose from. I haven't found any whisky below $40 MSRP I would bother with again.

Maybe a gentleman Hack in sale?

I recently topped mine off and started to drink it. I'm not really into peat, so there was really only about 2 oz of really peaty Islay in there, and it was still noticeable, although not overpowering. Honestly just about the right amount of peaty smoke and brine on it for me.

I think you can't really ruin it if you're only adding things to your living bottle that you liked drinking in the first place. It can be fun to sit down and try to pick out the prominent notes from your favorites that went into it while looking for the blending notes as well.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

>disdain for bourbon
>thinks blended is good
how to spot a fedora tipper who drinks scotch to look "classy"

This. I don't like Bourbon much either, but fuck off if you think I'm drinking blends.

Before anyone says "BLENDS CAN BE GOOD TOO", they really aren't. The fact is a good blend will cost enough money that you might as well buy a real single malt.

i havent tried any of the japanese varieties out, where should i start? (Amerifat poster)

I got Suntory Toki 25% off and it is pretty nice. Not sure I would buy it at full price, but it is bretty good compared to similarly priced scotch. It seems so hard to find Nip whisky at a good price right now.

Just bought this giftset for $37 at the liqour store.
I'mma drink some tonight, and let you guys know.

Glennmorangie Original is pretty nice. Not expensive, but a good taste and easy to drink. This and Glengoyne 10 are my favorite cheap whiskys.

The fuck is a living bottle?

do yourself a favor next time and buy a bottle of bullett and stop being pretentous ;^)

What's a good rye whiskey I can get out in California? I moved from Pittsburgh last year and miss my ritual of getting a bottle from Wigle every couple of weeks.

So I'm a whiskey Newbie. What is a decent and inexpensive whiskey? (Canada if it means anything)

Monkey Shoulder is also frequently mentioned as a good beginner drink but it's a blend.

I never cared too much about whisky until a friend left a bottle of laphroaig at my house. Now i'm fucked, i can't stop thinking about it whenever i drink anything else. being poor sucks.

You're going to have a good night, user

That's a cute maid(male)

A blend as in for mixing or as in blended whiskey? I dont really know much of anything about whiskey and was hoping to start in on some simple straight whiskeys to cut out blending drinks,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blended_malt_whisky

Thank you user! I think I'll give that whiskey a try if I can get my hands on it!

Also I take it stuff like wisers, crown royal and such are pretty crap tier?

Connemara is Laphroaig 10 for people who appreciate the smoothness. And I say this as a Laphroaig and Lagavulin fanatic.

I'm not familiar with Canadian stuff so I can't really comment on that.

Alright, they are just the ones most people know in households, the big mass produced brands of whiskey. I may just buy and try some various whiskeys and see how I like them individually

Crown royal was pretty mediocre when I tried it last.

I expected as much, I'm gonna look into grabbing some various brands and trying smaller bottles of them.

Anyone try this before, got a half bottle from a friend

Stay away from the crap they add maple syrup to (by Canadian law, they can actually add syrup to it and still call with Whiskey). Check out the bottles mentioned in the ghostbin if you can, although it still incorrectly defines rye whiskey.

nothing weong with maple whisky if you understand you're getting a sweet liqueur as opposed to a serious bottle of whisky

Cant drink sweet stuff anyways, and what do you mean by ghost bin?

Who here /TenHigh/?

>bullett
You mean MGP swill.

I drank a couple glasses of the Original tonight, and it was the best Scotch for the price I have ever had.
Had a nice sweetness to it, almost like a well made whiskey cocktail. I'll probably go back and buy a few more bottles before I move to Utah next month.

only bulleit rye is mgp

That's actually good to know. Maybe I'll give bulleit bourbon a try

it's alright, nothing special but it's decent for the price
the rye really isn't that bad, it's actually pretty alright, but once you've had one mgp rye you've literally had them all

>once you've had one mgp rye you've literally had them all
This.
High West is literally just Bulleit with a fancy label and a a huge mark-up.

Gimme the full lasagna on Toki?
Was recommended a bottle at the liqour store today, and would love to know what you guys think.
Thanks

I had some kikori that was delicious. Actually had a flavor similar to brandy.

Japanese whiskey has a bit less flavor and a bit more sweetness. Compared to the scotch or bourbon rivals, it a little lighter and a little sweeter than the rivals. I think that's why people think its better in taste tests and worse in actual purchases.

mah niggah, I'm halfway through my bottle

I want to get my (step) Father a nice Whisky for christmas. But I don't know anything about it. I'm a gin man. What's good? I know he likes to sip Crown but i want to get him something nice.

Nice, thanks for the info, user

The URL in the OP

Imagine if Bushmills were good. Smooth, a bit sweet (not bourbon sweet), light, nice mouthfeel, a little malty. Just don't overpay.

you did good

how the fuck can a whisky be libertarian or authoritarian

Aberlour is delicious.

Get him something interesting. It's the thought that counts.

I feel like makers mark has the best quality to price ratio. You can get a decent sized bottle for less than 30 dollars and it's good by itself

How do I enjoy scotch? I'm a bourbon drinker and the only way I ever enjoy scotch is mixed with amaretto.
Whenever I try to drink it straight I just don't enjoy it.

>blended is bad because it's blended
you should try JW green and/or Hibiki
anyway bourbon is (in my experience at least) characterized by vanilla and sweet favors, honey & so on
blended scotch isn't, that alone is reason enough for me to prefer even a cheap-ish blended scotch over a higher tier bourbon
it looks like jap whisky is very sought after in the US in recent years, hence the very high price
if you don't have any problem with that, the Yamazaki 12y is very very good imo

Get him a nice rye like high west

Basil Hayden's. It's a great sipping bourbon and my personal favorite at the moment. Plus, it looks great for display.

maybe you just don't like the taste of scotch
you may try some good scotch on the sweeter side, or you may stick to bourbon if you prefer it

What scotches have you tried? There is no distinct "scotch" taste unlike bourbon.

Things like the Balvenie 12 or 14 or Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or are on the sweeter side.

Scotch whisky I've tried:
>Balvenie 12
>Glenlivet 12
>Arbeg 10
>Johnnie Walker Black

The Ardbeg was the most interesting but none of them are drinks that I would find myself craving or wanting to go back to. They all have this aftertaste that makes me feel like I'm not supposed to be drinking them. Very chemical. I never get that with other liqours

High West Double Rye has a nice flavor.
sourced from MGP, but it doesn’t have the same bite as Bulleit Rye for instance

it has that familiar and odd Beam taste imho

>sourced from MGP, but it doesn’t have the same bite as Bulleit Rye for instance
People don't really understand what the nature of these distilleries' relationship with MGP is. MGP distills the the rye grain spirit, which is raw unaged alcohol. Most distilleries don't distill rye because rye grain is notoriously sticky and difficult to clean out of the stills, so they buy the rye spirit from MGP and perform the barrelling and ageing process (the part that actually varies the most between each distillery and has the greatest effect on the final outcome) with their own equipment.
High West tastes a little different from Bulleit rye because their respective ageing processes have variations between them. People tend to hear that several ryes originate at MGP and assume they're just bottled at the distillery with a unique label slapped on the bottle.

How do you guys cope with getting super plastered and saying embarrassing things.

I never talk to the person I embarrassed myself in front of again

less likely to get plastered if you're drinking from a $100 bottle

I just live with it as yet another thing that I'm embarrassed about.

I just found a mysterious little plastic bottle of William Lawson lost in my things, despite being unopened the alcohol reduced to half somehow.
It's a good brand? Will it taste like shit?

How big is your bottle? I was going to mess around with a couple 100ml bottles I got and when I decide to grow some big balls I was going to use a 350ml.

vodka is better than whiskey you all suck

insecure much?

why don’t you guys just finish the bottle?
sorry, i always thought this was a weird idea

>explaining how whiskey manufacture works is insecurity
Do people really hate being informed about things that much?

who /irish/ here?

it’s all common knowledge to any liquor enthusiast

never tried that, but Redbreast, Yellowspot, Teeling, Connemara are all pretty good.
not a fan of Jameson though

Also, don't fall for The Sexton meme.

Doesn't change the fact that you see more people incorrectly complaining about how MGP ryes are all the same than you see people acknowledging the reality of it. I didn't say it for the people who already know, I said it to inform those who don't.

thank you Mr Minister of Information, the board would self destruct without you.

I don't know why you've got such a bug up your ass over someone talking about whiskey in a liquor thread.

You wut m8? Chichibu and anything from MARS is far better then any crap Suntory put out.
Speyburn Braden Orach or Tomatin that's not 12 or under
Glenmo is overpriced as fuck, Original especially sucks balls.
Go for Balblair vintages older than 2005 instead.
Not sure but So Good have a smoked cherrywood aged single malt that's fucking amazing

As a guy who loves both of those distilleries Connemara is boring as hell

I'm trying my first scotch tonight. I splurged on this today to get me through finals. I don't normally spend more than 25$ on any one alcohol, but I've got high hopes for this!

What are you favorite budget scotches?

>Doesn't change the fact that you seek validation on an anonymous image board

i feel like there aren’t really an budget scotches in the US
that being said, Glenmorangie Original is one of the more affordable single malts and it’s actually pretty ok despite what this fine gentleman claims

>Canada

Forty Creek and Alberta Premium are both excellent and available at every government monopoly.

Wonderful! I'll check them out for sure! I have a gift card from earlier this year I havent used as I don't drink exceptionally often (but was hoping to find something nice to sip on)

>seek validation
I don't need shit from other people, I'd be happy if it went without a single (You). I'm just surprised someone could get so butthurt over a misconception being addressed.

Glen Moray 12 was my first Scotch. It's a great entry level one, you made a good choice.

>butthurt

I see literally no other reason for someone to take issue with it.

Famous Grouse, Glenlivet and Grants are alright budget scotches.

Is this good?

My experience with Irish whiskey is limited to Jameson and Redbreast, which I thought was fantastic.

>famous grouse
>grant's

Is that her leg? Why is it so big? Seems like it's in the wrong place.

He didn't say top shelf excellent single malts silly goose, he said budget scotches.