Instant Pot

Is it truly the cooking appliance to end all cooking appliances?

Its good at what it specializes in, nothing more.

I just got one and I’m struggling figuring out how to take advantage of it. From what I understand the point is to make cooking easy/thoughtless yet every recipe I find online for it has like 1000 fucking ingredients. As of now I mostly just use it as a rice cooker. Any suggestions?

Utilize the slow cooker function and make pulled pork or beef stew, something like that. Do the prep the night before then set it on in the morning, come home to some tasty cooked food.

I already have two slow cookers. That doesn’t solve any problems for me lol

Oh, then go the opposite route and try the pressure cooker function. Use it on a tough cut of meat or a slow-cooking legume; they'll be tons of Indian recipes you can try.

This. Makes mad good curries.Also great for beans.

Regular slow cookers do this just fine.

Second only to the microwave oven for convenience and usefulness. It's good for cooking crustless bread, which makes the bread hipsters mad.

>beans
>slow cooker
Enjoy your phytohaemagglutinin poisoning.

Thanks I will.

I don't have one, but I think the point is that the pressure setting does it fast.

Soaked beans pressure cook in ten minutes, dry half an hour. With a slow cooker, it's more like 1 hour / 8 hours.

Is there any reason to get one if I already own a manually operated pressure cooker?

Are you naturally lazy? If so, definitely get one. The main benefit is the automation. Put the food in, put the lid on, press a single button, wait. It measures the temperature and automatically adjusts the heating, and automatically switches to safe food holding temperature when it's done. Manual pressure cooker requires a lot more attention.

I belive he ment for pressure cooking them not putting them in a slow cooker and that's only some beans

My main problem with these is most online recipes have several steps when the whole point is for it to be convenient. Like why would I sauté stuff in this pot when I could just use a skillet? How is that more convenient?

>why would I sauté stuff in this pot
It's only for the flavor, you can skip that step if you like. It's more convenient than using a separate skillet because of less cleaning.

Online recipes over-complicate things because the authors want to sound more impressive.

Thanks for the exaggeration.

>you can skip that step if you like
Then why not use a slow cooker that's less than half the price?

Because it's slower, less automated, less flexible, less energy efficient.

I once put dry chickpeas in a crockpot and it did take eight hours.

I want one

low settings 5 minute steamed carrots use a cup of water
high settings cup of water + sweet potato 15 minutes
from there you can figure out most things its just a pressure cooker with some presettings right

Its great at having 1 thing instead of 2 things.
Which is actually great because both of those things are big and bulky.

soak 1 cup dry chickpeas overnight (rinse first), drain, and put a pressure cooker for 15 or 20 minutes on high pressure let pressure naturally release on don't use the quick release.
store with the water you cooked it in or drain and make hummus

cook with 4 cups water forgot to mention

soak overnight, drain, then:
black beans 15 min high pressure
kidney beans 8 min high
chickpeas 15-20 high
black eyed peas - 3-5 min high
+ natural release
pressure cookers are the shit

If you want a deep sear on bones before making a stock, then go stove top. Electric never gets hot enough. If you're not worried about searing and just want to make some beans, rice, and yogurt then this is a good device.I use my mom's when I visit my parents and I like it but I would never get one myself.

No need to soak black beans

Not an exaggeration.

you can cook dry black beans and brown rice in one pot in about 20 mins, that alone makes it work it

i eat enormous quantities of beans. my pressure cooker makes it all possible. love that thing.

I cook them dry in a small pan inside the pressure cooker. Recently I've been using an automatic soymilk maker to turn chickpeas into burmese tofu.

I meant soaked and not sitting in water, not completely dry.

you don't really have to soak any bean but it does reduce cook time and makes them cook a little more evenly

soaking and draining them removes what gives you the farts

if you eat them often enough you'll stop farting too, just need the bacteria in your digestive system to adapt

i eat beans with almost every meal I can't say for certain the pros/cons of overnight soak but this is what my grandmother did and their grandmother etc.

how much are you getting paid?

Yeah I don't think so dude I've been on a high fiber diet for most of a year now and I'm passing just as much wind as ever except it smells even worse now.