Redpill me on hot sauce

Redpill me on hot sauce.

Like most kids I disliked spicy foods. The belief that "I don't like hot sauce" has persisted into adulthood. Recently however, after trying a few varieties of spicy food, I've discovered a newfound love and appreciation for everything capsaicin. The food sweats have never felt so good. I'm ready to add hot sauce to my list of staple condiments and I'd love it if you could help me find the perfect addition to my culinary arsenal.

Are home made sauces better than commercial ones? What about specialty hot sauces made just for people that love the stuff? Is more heat more better or should I take a more moderate approach? Can you give me any general advice, tips or recommendations?

I like tabasco, I like frank's, I like buffalo. Cayenne and vinegar is my favorite so far. I don't really like sriracha that much, the flavor is too... sharp. It feels pointy, I prefer more of a warm simmering burn. I don't know if any of this is making sense. Pleas, if you know about this stuff I'd love some guidance. I've taken an interest and I really want to get into this on more than a superficial level.

Thanks for reading, and have a great night!

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23026007
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25599186
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just try out more peppers instead of some meme sauce.

Look no further.

stop trying to like something you don't like, faggot.

stop whining and eat spicy

Hotsauces are the worst way to enjoy heat

this here is a classic, pretty much just cayenne and vinegar. good starter hot sauce

>el yucateco black label reserve
Avoid. Tastes bad man. I go for green. Others tyr it, think "jalapeno", but then vtec kicks in.

yeah, because we should all embrace spicy food dye sauces

>Tastes bad man
How? That one is great.

>food dye
Sorry kid, those are natural colors.

Sriracha, in my opinion is far too sweet for most foods. Cholula, herdez guac salsa, and valentina would be good to start. None of those are truly spicy, but they have a nice flavor.

I'm personally responsible for like a gallon of this stuff and a whole lotta redbeans

read the ingredients... hell, don't even bother, if you see a bottle of expired, half empty yucateco on the table of a restaurant and it has a super vibrant color like the ones in the photo, you should feel shame for not automatically thinking "hey... this isn't natural"

I pretty much exclusively use Tapatio.

I like to grill carne asada and wrap it up in a tortilla with some smokey pinto beans and fucking drown it in Tapatio. So good.

>Are home made sauces better than commercial ones?
Yes.

>What about specialty hot sauces made just for people that love the stuff?
If by "specialty" you mean non-mass market sauces for the discerning palate, good stuff. If you mean XXX HOTTEST SAUCE ON THE PLANET then no, garbage. Sauces marketed at people who want the hottest shit possible are generally not too concerned with flavor.

>Is more heat more better or should I take a more moderate approach?
See above.

>Can you give me any general advice, tips or recommendations?
Don't be like these faggots
who don't know how to read ingredient labels. You can safely ignore all hot sauces with artificial coloring and preservatives. Especially artificial coloring. The color of a good sauce should reflect the ingredients used to make it. If a sauce has food coloring added, and I'm pretty sure all the Yucateco sauces do, then it's a sign that they're using shit ingredients.

I can respect a Tapatio man, I'm just a bigger fan of Cholula personally speaking, but Tapatio is my back-up sauce.

>then it's a sign that they're using shit ingredients.
It's not a sign of that at all. You're dumb.

reddit-tier

At the very least, it's a marketing gimmick playing on your subconscious sensibilities. You're going to be drawn to vibrantly colored sauces more than their counterparts, because inside lower-minded thought processes are thinking "hey! this shit is fresh as fuck, and therefore the most nutritious! I want this over the others!". However, it takes just a little bit of your neocortex activity to stop your impulses with a little "wait a minute, this is some cheap dogshit, and they're just trying to fool me".

I bought a bottle of this and ended up drinking it instead of putting it on food..

>"hey! this shit is fresh as fuck, and therefore the most nutritious! I want this over the others!"
I don't think that at all.

I put sauce on food because it makes it more appealing. I want it to make the food taste or look better. Not much else to it than that.

I know that feel

fuck off r*ddit

>see a bottle of hotsauce that might be good
>look at its ingredients to see whether it has certain ingredients you hate the idea of even though they don't affect the taste at all
>get mad and don't even try it if it has those ingredients

>store bought

Pleb tier.

If they were using quality ingredients then their sauce would have an appetizing color. The presence of artificial coloring in literally any food that isn't candy is the manufacturer telling you straight up, "This would have an unattractive color and you wouldn't want to eat it if we hadn't colored it artificially".

Believe me, I use a lot of hot sauce made with a lot of different kinds of peppers and there's absolutely no need to add green coloring to a green pepper sauce or red to a red pepper sauce. Sauces with natural ingredients are plenty colorful and you're a fucking fool if you think these companies are adding a bunch of coloring and preservatives to their sauces to do anything but trick you into not realizing you're consuming shit ingredients.

I don't have anywhere to grow peppers :(

I've tried it, but yeah, if I see neon green sauce, I'm generally going to not touch it. And honestly, you're on Veeky Forums, and if you're not put off by COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY shit like dyes being added to condiments. I don't even know what to say

I live in an apartment dude. One small jalapeno plant can produce a ton of peppers. Just put it on your balcony and let it do its thing.

For all the retards who willingly ingest food coloring:
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23026007
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25599186

I was introduced to really spicy hot sauce at a young age, so I’ve had years to build my power levels. I usually keep a bottle of Dave’s Insanity Sauce around, but I prefer to make my own salsa or hot sauces. I order Carolina reapers online and use them in different recipes.
Don’t listen to people who say that extremely hot peppers don’t have good flavor. Most have a sweet taste, with reapers being a little more abrasive in the flavor department.
The best advice I can give is to try to build a tolerance. Every once in a while, overdo it on the spiciness, that way you get used to it.

I don't have a balcony.

Alternatively, to begin to really appreciate the subtle flavors of super hot peppers; you could check out local farmers markets (generally closer to sept/oct), and see if any local growers have spiceless habaneros, or habaneros with very little capsaicin. They're basically like mini-bell peppers, but sweeter, and each variety has its own fruitiness flavor profile. That way, you can begin to really look for the flavors hidden by the spiciness.

I don't have an apartment.

For me it's about the flavors, even if a sauce is not too hot it can be a good thing

>walk into hot licks
>impromptu dick swinging hot sauce eatin competition erupts
Every time. I'm getting too old for this.

Try it on a McDonald's breakfast sandwich, you'll be blasted to Flavortown.

Chipotle one is so dope.
Wanna try the lime one

That's disgusting. Why don't you wash the crust off those?

The crust can be sprinkled on toast or something later

this. see it mentioned here a lot. my restaurant uses it, and I prefer their steak sauce uber alles

no meme the hotter the better, mega death sauce is life

Same. Perfect balance of heat and flavor along with that mild sweetness.

Why are you holding onto empty hot sauce bottles?

Love this shit. Perfect for buffalo sauce and nice for straight low-calorie snacking. If you want something really hot, it might be a little lacking, but personally, I'm after vinegar as much as I am heat, and I find this perfect.

Also, their labeling just strikes me as so damn iconic.

I am already dead and feeling anything is nice for me.

you guys want to try a genuinely good sauce flavor wise check this one out.

stop saying redpill like it's 2012.

For posting in hot sauce thread

thats a bit silly

Any hot sauce with capsacin extract in it is instantly garbage tier.

It gives it such a repulsive taste.

What's a good garlicy hot sauce with a good amount of heat?

I honestly love Sriracha, so it is normally my go-to.

If however, I am eating something that is mexican/latin-american themed, I will opt for a sauce closer to tabasco w/ chipotle pepper.

bull, theres lots of hot sauces that contain capsacin extract but have other ingredients.

Why does homemade fermented hot sauce always taste... funky?

Why do store bought fermented hot sauces like Tabasco taste fine?

Why do you think

Hot sauce is a meme that only Americans take seriously. Just use chillis like everyone else.

You need more salsa verde in your life.

>I prefer more of a warm simmering burn.
You want chilli oil user.

Agree about sriracha, too sweet. I only use it on things that are already decently salty so that the sweetness is drowned out a bit. Plus it's only good on asian dishes IMO, plus maybe reheated pizza and scrambled eggs.

I live in an apartment at the base of a steep hill. I only get sunlight in my apartment for like 2 hours a day :(

Aren't there laws about this kind of thing?

Mah nog!

I like sriracha and cholula chipotle

You boys should try Marie Sharpe's. GOAT hands down.