Foolproof way to proof dry yeast?

seems like i fuck up somehow and my dough doesnt want to rise, i dont have a thermometer so i cant tell for sure if its 110 degrees but i think its hot enough. i just want to hear some ideas of how you guys do it

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wait for it to double in size.

It seems unlikely that the yeast itself is the problem. What is the ambient temperature?

70 F, do i need to sweat my balls off for this dough to rise

Yeast likes it higher than that. It'll still rise, it's just going to take a long time. During the winter I turn my oven on for about 20 seconds, turn it off, and put my dough in there to rise. I have an oven thermometer in there though, so I know what temp that gets me to. You can also pour some boiling water in a pan and put it in there to make it more humid if you want.

sounds like you're killing the yeast if its not rising

you should not scald yourself touching the water/milk, it should be a little warmer than your body

if your dough is very rich, like it has a lot of eggs, sugar, and or butter it will take quite a bit longer to rise

have you at least tried something basic like 'no knead bread' with just flour, water, yeast, and salt? if that doesn't work your yeast is dead.

what temprature do you turn the over on for? i can try that or the pan with poiling water method
its just dry yeast water and salt, im trying to make basic pizza dough

how old is your yeast? are you sure it's still good?

It's only on for 20 seconds, it doesn't matter what you set it at, you don't want it to actually reach a setting. You're shooting for 80-90F.

>just dry yeast water and salt
Wait, are you talking about re-hydrating the yeast in some water or actually having a dough rise?

its brand new
just having the dough rise for pizza

If you're making pizza you should let it cold ferment in the fridge overnight.

Let things proof for a few days in the fridge it's nicer
Could also be over kneeded

never even heard of that, every recipe i seen wanted it to rise in room temprature. so how do i cold frement?

Literally just leave it in the fridge overnight. I tried making two different batches once, one room temperature quick ferment, one cold slow ferment, and the cold one did taste better.

>That carefully placed drink

>over kneading
impossible

>Yeast likes it higher than that. It'll still rise, it's just going to take a long time.

I have a sourdough out in my kitchen right now that's rising, and it's below 18C/65F. Just gotta give it time.

so just mix yeast, water, salt and sugar and just leave it overnight, and i can just knead it and its ready to bake?

Yes, it will rise in the fridge, but when you knead it you squash it flat so you have to wait for it to rise again. Letting it rise twice gives you a more even texture.

wow, thats a lot more convenient than the other way. so where do i leave it to let it rise again, and for how long.

I turn the oven on for a few minutes so it's warm but not hot and leave the dough there.

ok and for how long? and for the amounts of flour yeast etc can i just use this recipe here: allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/

It's easy, OP, here's what you need:

>Blowdryer
>Your mom's cunt

Shit'll dry proof faster than you know what

The yeast we use in the lab grows well at 30 C if that helps any.

Don't think of it in terms of how long but how much. You want your dough to roughly double in size.