/cawfee/

What coffee-related memes have you fallen for this week?

Friendly reminder that the quality to price ratio for whole bean coffee sharply plateaus at around $7/lb~

Other urls found in this thread:

thestar.com/news/world/2017/09/25/california-coffee-could-be-served-with-cancer-warning-labels-if-lawsuit-succeeds.html
reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/1ael4u/how_common_are_rocks_in_coffee/
madebyknock.com/store/p40/FELD2_:_HONED.html
freshroastedcoffee.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=bznDjbQLzMo
vocaroo.com/i/s0tVI94h0OB4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use this stuff, usually cold, but it's just as good hot. It's cold brew, so it tastes better, and at 7 dollars for a bottle that gives you 16 cups of coffee, it's a pretty cost effective, especially when you factor in convenience.

>Friendly reminder that the quality to price ratio for whole bean coffee sharply plateaus at around $7/lb~
do you have a source for this
this sounds completely accurate but i'd like to see the stats out of interest

You can prove it for yourself.
No competent coffee company would sponsor a study that implies that their products are overpriced.

It's true, but there are many expensive coffees (15-20 buckos a lb) that are leagues above the cheaper but still quality options. Kind of like some kinds of liquor/beer/wine. It's a crapshoot though. Unless you can cup it first and decide yourself don't buy the hugely expensive beans
t. guy who has roasted, cupped, and sold many very expensive varietals

>7
more like 17

What the fuck is that container though?
Honestly though if you like cold brew just make it yourself. I use two pitchers, a reusable filter, and a strainer. All you need. If cost concerns you, buy pre-ground and you're getting literally GALLONS AND GALLONS of half-decent coffee for whatever you pay for preground.

I stopped drinking evil coffee 6 months ago and I feel great now.
Yes first week was hard,second week got bit easier but after that I had no cravings for coffee.
Now I don't have anxiety attacks, I'm relaxed and more focused.
My sleeping is much better now also.

Coffee was wrecking silent havoc on my body but now I'm free from this unnecessary shit.
If you have any brains you would consider stopping drinking this overpriced crap full of chemicals
that adds fake feeling of energy and brings depression and possible cancer if you drink dark roast coffee.

DARK ROAST COFFEE IS A SCAM
to sell substandard coffee beans at the same price per pound as good quality coffee beans roasted to medium roast.
Reason is that substandard coffee beans when roasted to safe medium roast will taste like shit, so evil marketers come up with the scam
to severally overheat the green coffee beans to get some kind of flavor out of them.
But that flavor is flavor of burnet charred turned carcinogenic (cancerous) shit because was heated to such high temperatures.

But the coffee industry is not telling you about it, because they need somehow to sell their shitty quality coffee beans.
Biggest scam ever in the food industry in my opinion.
And on top of it it's cancerous. At least ask for medium roasted coffee beans if you must drink this shit everyday.
Stupid are those who are drinking coffee on empty stomach first thing in the morning and stupid are those who are drinking several cups per day.

Of course there will be millions of stupid people who will never pay attention to warnings about negative effects of drinking dark roast coffee.
They are the same idiots who are eating hamburgers from fast food stores.

Hopefully some of you will think about it and think why reputable coffee roasting houses never roast their green coffee beans to a dark roast,
only to medium or lower levels.
There must be a reason for it, think about it.

One side pours however much you want, the other side you squeeze until it fills up and dispenses one ounce of liquid, which is how much you use for 9 ounces of water, making a 10 ounce cup of coffee. I like it because I don't have to think about it.

Just buy one container of that shit, remove that shit coffee, buy some of the better trader joe coffee and cold brew the entire thing. Makes many many gallons and tastes better if you pick a good coffee. You'll also spend about as much money as you would on one bottle on many fillups for it

>Hopefully some of you will think about it and think why reputable coffee roasting houses never roast their green coffee beans to a dark roast,
>only to medium or lower levels.
>There must be a reason for it, think about it.
And that reason is not to save on electricity bill, no.
Ask any reputable barista who knows their shit about coffee if dark roast beans considered to be properly roasted in order to get best flavors and aromas from coffee beans.
Worst are the espresso dark roast coffee beans.

How much does a bag of trader Joe coffee cost, and how much coffee does it make? Because right now I'm coming in at about ~43 cents per cup without having to plan ahead for it.

Please don't ever post again.

WHY?
TRUTH HURTS YOUR BUSINESS

THOSE ARE SCIENTIFIC FACTS,BRO

California coffee could be served with cancer warning labels if lawsuit succeeds.
A non-profit group wants coffee manufacturers, distributors and retailers to post ominous warnings about a cancer-causing chemical — acrylamide — stewing in every brew.

thestar.com/news/world/2017/09/25/california-coffee-could-be-served-with-cancer-warning-labels-if-lawsuit-succeeds.html

Same as the cigarette manufacturers were for years denying that cigarettes are un-safe to smoke and cause cancers, same is with the coffee industry, they are hiding
truth from naive uneducated consumers.
But the change is coming BIG TIME and truth about health problems with drinking coffee (especially dark roast coffee) will be spread and people will get educated
and dark dirty dishonest secrets of coffee industry will be exposed.
And people will be able to make educated choices good for their health based on solid science
not based on dishonest marketing scams hiding the truth pushed by The BIG COFFEE as it was in the past with The BIG TOBACCO.

samefag

Literally anything that is browned or toasted will have acrylamide. Coffee, bread, even fruits which are dried by heating in ovens, such as prunes.

YES.SO WHAT?
Are you scared that your coffee business will be affected when people will learn about the dark dirty secrets of the coffee industry,
and or stop drinking all togheter or will demand healthier product from coffee roasting houses and you will no longer be able to sell
low quality coffee in dark roast at the same price as the higher quality coffee in medium roast.

Some coffee roasting houses got away for way too long scamming consumers on the prices for much inferior product
and hiding the health risks associated with drinking dark roast coffee.

Most commercial coffee beans have already tons of nasty chemicals on them from the growing plantations,
and yet the dark roast is adding another health danger to it.

Some of you owners of roasting houses and distributers of coffee should be ashamed of yourselves for being dishonest about all those serious health hazards.
But you are only concerned about your profits and push the blues that coffee is super good for consumers yet you are hiding the other facts about toxic side of coffee.

Bullshit. $15/12oz is barely acceptable and you need $18-$22/12oz for good coffee.

>YES.SO WHAT?
Stopped reading there. Seek help.

>even fruits which are dried by heating in ovens,
Please stop this fake news, there is a huge difference between dried bread, meat, fruits and burnt charred food.
STOP YOUR FALSE PROPAGANDA.

Anything past Nordic roast is unacceptable.

you seek help for being dishonest and denying scientific facts

I just found a rock in my coffee beans

>What coffee-related memes have you fallen for this week
I bought condensed milk to use on coffee.
It doesnt taste that good.

Oatly barista edition is by far the best tasting thing to put on coffee.

IS IT CRACK?

idk user, I just crushed it up and threw it away

SHOULD HAVE SAVE IT
contact lawyer and sue the bastards for a cool million, or at least get free bag of coffee.
BUT NOW YOU GOT NO EVIDENCE.

That was your chance to become wealthy in life and you blew it, oh well maybe you will find more.
If you do pls post picture of the rock and the coffee brand so we know what to avoid.
That is a sign of a very shitty quality control.

Was that ground coffee or just coffee beans?

I said beans.
I did some searching, apparently finding rocks is pretty common, though this is the first one I've come across.

reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/1ael4u/how_common_are_rocks_in_coffee/

I guess the only danger in it is if you miss it it might fuck your grinder if you're using a cheap shit one.

>What coffee-related memes have you fallen for this week?

ordered dis

madebyknock.com/store/p40/FELD2_:_HONED.html

>I said beans.
lol, my bad.
Would you care to tell if you bough it from a local roaster or big store or online.
I never heard of it before, that's crappy, you can f-up even expensive grinder I think, I guess depends how hard is the rock.
I guess heat from roasting might soften the rock a bit.

Just read the few posts from the link you provided, here is couple of interesting posts for those who are lazy to go there.

"Happens quite often, especially in dry process coffees. If your roaster has a large operation, they will most likely have a de-stoner which can use either weight/air/particle size or magnets to cull the stones prior to roasting.
If your roaster is a small operation, then they will rely on eyeballing the stones and removing them by hand.
More often than not, the stones will be small enough that they will fall through the roaster cooling tray.
The next stage, would be being caught by the person doing the bagging and packaging.
Typically, the stones are soft volcanic rock or limestone which won't usually mess up your grinder too much but won't do your grinder any favors either. Usually, they will fall to the bottom of the bag."

"As a roaster, we have a de-stoner that removed 95% of hard materials from our coffee. It is such a great tool to have.
But as others have said, most of the time the stones are just cement or volcanic pumice or similar. It will be chewed up by the grinder no problem but is never good either.
We also find a lot of corn and once I found a human tooth.. That caused a bit of concern.
We have heard a story from another local roaster of them finding an expended bullet casing, but I'm not sure if that is true."

freshroastedcoffee.com/
It's a rather big company, some of their stuff isn't too bad, good even, but then some of their other stuff is pretty bad.
The rock I had was pretty brittle, was able to crush it quite easily.

> once I found a human tooth.
That's pretty fucking disgusting, would have probably thrown the entire bag out if that happened to me.

I would send them email with picture of the bag (especially that part that has the Lot number) and inform them that you found a rock in their coffee.

Would be interesting experiment to see how they react to you, if they offer you any apology and perhaps send you a free bag of coffee.
This will show how good they are at the customer service end of their business.
Especially if you are a multi time customer of theirs.

Have you ever gotten fast food and then complained because you found something nasty in it?

They'll get defensive and claim you put it there.

If you come off like you want something from them for it sure they will. But I'm sure if you just make it clear you aren't looking for gibs and just want to let them know so that it is less likely to happen again they would be cool.

Be glad it didn't destroy your grinder

I drink coffee...
with hot chocolate powder in it.

I'm sorry WHAT

I used to do that when I lived with my dad, because he only bought instant coffee and it was the only way to make it palatable.

>They'll get defensive and claim you put it there.
Not necessary.
I guess if you eat at chinese places and found garbage in their food and show it to them they would deny and yell and bark at you like mad dogs.
But if you would deal with decent people they might,(might) act properly and at least apologize and offer something for your so called troubles.

I'm not suggesting to do that to get free bag of coffee, I piss on their free bag of coffee.
I would be interested to observe how they handle this from Customer Service point of view. More like an experiment for me.
And depending how they responded to me I would decide if I would continue buying from them again or not, especially if I was their regular customer before that incident.

I understand that companies have to consider that people might "claim" falsely that there was a rock in their coffee just to get free coffee
and they must weight the possibility of a scam,but on other hand they know that various foreign object do find their way into coffee
and in most cases peoples grinding gear is not damaged, but some times it is.
It would be much better to have a picture of the rock next to the bag,but regardless, as I said I would contact them not because
I'm hoping to score free bag of coffee from them, but to see how they handle such cases.

If they are nice and polite apologizing for it but not offering me free bag of coffee, that would be perfectly fine with me.
They handled it nice and polite, they pass the test.Free bag of coffee would be just nice gesture on their part and a nice bonus for me. But again this is not my main goal contacting them.
But if they were defensive and brushed me off in some unfriendly way, or ever worst didn't respond to me at all, I would stop buying from them.

I drink hot chocolate without coffee in it.
Stopped drinking coffee all togheter. Fells so liberating.

Maybe you have no life, but I have better things to do.
If I find rocks or other nasty stuff in my coffee, I'm taking it back to the store for a refund.
I know the store will refund it, I don't have to rely on the goodwill of the company that manufactured it.

What you're describing sounds like sort of thing you'd do if you're buying mail order coffee with no return policy.
Only retards do that.

>Maybe you have no life, but I have better things to do.
>Only retards do that.
No rhyme or logic to your rage in your response.
I guess you missed that post where user said that he bough it from online coffee seller,Second, what takes longer, to drive to a store and wait in the line and do the explaining, or to send quick email.
Before you call others retards look in the mirror yourself.
user. Please engage your brain next time before you start calling people names.

I started drinking coffee at 24, noticed no real significant changes with 1 cup a day. Moving to 2 cups did make me more tired overall and feel more sluggish. Went cold turkey on it, noticed no real changes, and after a month returned to 1 cup.

Alls well.

I agree that coffee has it's place and does the trick with short term "energy" blast, maybe I should have mention that in my post.
But smart thing is not to drink too much of it, or not to drink on an empty stomach, or not to drink dark roast.
As with many things in life, there are not very well known or understood by majority of us secrets and aspects of coffee business, especially if we trust
dishonest greedy Coffee mongers who are withholding or even on purpose hiding truth from us the consumers.

>taking advice from anime addicted NEETs

NORMALFAGS MAKING THEIR GOD DAMNED WEAK ASS COFFEE

THEN THEY GIVE ME SHIT WHEN I WHEN I MAKE IT THE WAY IT SAYS ON THE SIDE OF THE FUCKING CAN OF COFFEE

ONE TABLESPOON PER SIX OUNCES OF COFFEE

THAT'S WHAT IT SAYS ON THE FUCKIN' CAN

I LIKE TO USE TWO BUT I MAKE IT HALF THE STRENGTH TO APPEASE YOU FUCKIN NORMALFAGS AND YOU STILL THINK IT'S TOO STRONG

FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU

Lol, user
cut down on coffee bro, it makes you edgy.
No,I'm joking, I'm with you, let the pressure vent. LOL

Try it with espresso. There's a coffee shop near me that makes it and it's great.

>buying coffee in a can
>calling anyone normalfags
Look in the mirror

I swear it's really tasty, but only if you're drinking iced coffee with just enough milk. Hot isn't really good, and I've too much is just unbearably sweet.

Are you poor?

>make french press coffee
>bought a strainer to get the powder out of grounds (yes I'm using a burr before that comes up)
>a LOT of fine grounds go through the strainer too leaving only the chunky grounds
Is this a good thing or no?

>not wasting money at every opportunity means you're poor
the absolute state of the nouveau riche, ladies and gentlemen

They always end up poor from buying overpriced shit they don't need just because they can, anyway

fucking coconut milk my dude
the canned milk in the ethnic isle, not the shit by the cow milk
(esp with coconut palm sugar/coconut blossom nectar!)

>Sifting your grounds for french press

Nigger what. You could run your beans over with a fucking car and they'd still make great coffee. What is the fucking point of this

Powder over-extracts and burns making the coffee bitter

Yeah it makes sense as I dislike the taste of milk-less coffee with sugar in it.

I had a problem with a coffee from my percolator. Bitter and acidic, obv overextracted and burnt but after adding a pinch of salt (kinda small error margin, too little salt won't do anything, little too much will end up in salty coffee). This allowed me to transform bitter cup of tar into a cup of strong coffee with kind of like chocolate flavour.

this

No. Fines are necessary for proper extraction. Use a drip grind and sift out the largest particles if anything. People fuck up French press with this super coarse shit.

Anyway here's a shot.

Are you retarded? Why do you think there's a market for grinders?
Grind consistency is one of the most important things, if not the most important thing that goes into making good coffee.

It's not correct to say that it burns, water can't burn coffee. The over extraction is what leads to bitterness.
The only time you'll have burnt coffee is if it's roasted too long.

>Are you retarded? Why do you think there's a market for grinders?
>Grind consistency is one of the most important things, if not the most important thing that goes into making good coffee.
>
EXACTLY.
On top of it you must invest at least $500 to get decent coffee grinder, otherwise you are a poor pleb.

>he's still this assmad 6 months later
Major kudos to whoever got you with that post

true if big

>this nigger is still here

Is it not the same faggot as the cawfee OP. I assumed it was

>What coffee-related memes have you fallen for this week?

Pic related

>Fines are necessary for proper extraction

I think I'm replying to bait, but no, a consistent grind is necessary for proper extraction. Ideal consistency = uniform size of coffee grounds = no fines. Fines will lead to over extraction.
Sifting out fines will make your ground coffee more consistent in particle size which will lead to better extraction.

But I drink one or two cups a day and I feel fine. Relaxed, focused, and I’ve never had a panic attack in my entire life. Maybe, just maybe, you should consider that just because something doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t work for others. Like religion and anal sex.

Looks like the path to enlightenment to me

I seriously am hoping he's just confused about the term fines

What's the difference between a $10 pourover and a $50 pourover?

The only major difference between pourovers is the flow rate, be it from the design or the type of filter, or both.

Even a ceramic V60 is only $20, what are you looking at that's $50? A Chemex?

anal sex is gross and disgusting,only sub-humans do that.
but anal intake of coffee known as coffee enema is OK and very beneficial for your health.

My Addiction: Coffee Enemas | My Strange Addiction
youtube.com/watch?v=bznDjbQLzMo

40 dollars.

Alright mates after repeated attempts at modding my skerton in various ways to improve grind uniformity im fed up and looking to step up. What are the best price/quality hand grinders?

humans have been eating bread for 30,000 years at least.

i'm pretty sure we're safe from browned starches.

Again you are or on purpose or by being naive mistaking browned up bread (or any other food, including coffee) with dark, black charred burnet to charred level coffee beans (or any other food).

>i'm pretty sure we're safe from browned starches.
browned and charred dark roast coffee
see the difference?

We’ve shipped coffee before.

Company is well known.

Raw beans arrived months late.

Solution? “let’s mix them with some of our other beans in smaller ratio”

Probably also why beans tend to be burned a lot...

What about green coffee beans having toxic mold growing on them ?

of course dishonest coffee roasting houses just dark roast them and collect the profit from unaware customers.

hey espresso gurus, what do you all make of this: buy local fresh roast beans on the day the shop typically puts out the new stuff (monday). get home grind it at my usual setting (2S on my Vario). My machine chokes on pull. Dial it down even further to troubleshoot. No dice (even brought it down as to 4M just to try), still chokes. I figure the beans aren't rested enough, so leave em for a week. Just tried another pull at 2S and it's the same shit. Bad batch? (they sell me old stock or what?). For reference I have another bag of my usual go-to which pulls in the 2S range just fine (20g in 30s pull 50g out)

Did you talked to the local shop you bought it from about it yet?
Would be interesting to hear what they said

I only drink wheat coffee.

weak?

vocaroo.com/i/s0tVI94h0OB4

Looks terrifying.

What type of coffee should I use for a cold brew?

frozen

none, that's wasted coffee

But something that's frozen isn't cold.

dumbass detected

>he doesn't understand thermodynamics

A unimodal even grind is necessary, as are fines. Every test with removing them results in worse coffee. The problem is variance in the size of larger particles, not the dust.

It's not my fault you're two years behind on the science of grinding