Why does Wisconsin have the best everything? Best beer, soda, cheese, brats, and who the hell knows what else

Why does Wisconsin have the best everything? Best beer, soda, cheese, brats, and who the hell knows what else.

I guaran-damn-tee you Wisconsin doesn’t have good barbecue or biscuits.

Don't encourage people to move here, rent in Milwaukee is still pretty cheap and I don't want that changing.

I lived next to wisconsin for a few years

You guys are like a 3/10 chick who acts like she's a 10/10 and at first it seems like you're just fucking around and have a very weird dedication to a joke, and eventually everyone starts to think maybe you're serious, and it's fascinating because of this disconnect between what everyone else perceives, and what you insist that you perceive

Take the cheese thing for example. It's largely carnival-tier garbage, but the way wisconsinites talk about it you'd think it was some coveted thing that people thousands of miles away clamor for

Or the beer. Spotted cow is alright but holy shit, get a grip. In no way does it merit the attitude you people have about it

Is this just a very sophisticated tongue-in-cheek self-effacing kind of joke? Be honest, we're anonymous here

>best beer
wrong
>best soda
wrong
>best cheese
wrong
>best brats
wrong

kys op you fucking cuck, I bet you voted for Drumpf

fucking weebs and their big bucks gentrifying the city because they heard it was cool an an aninimu community

Rent is usually cheap in shit holes

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the places that go crazy in rent overnight are usually next to some place that doesn't suck

What is milwaukee next to? Waukesha? Lol

>the best quarterba-

There are a minority of people like this, but enough where your comment is accurate. But we're definitely better than Illinois amirite?!?

I'm not going to say that living here is the 100% best place to live, but I've had a good time and it's treated me well. I pay $350 a month for rent, live 3 blocks from bars and restaurants, 10 min walk from two grocery stores, 2 blocks from a river with a nice running path, and 10 minutes bus/uber from clubs and music venues. I haven't lived in other cities so could someone educate me on why I shouldnt be enjoying it?

You live there so I certainly would hope you enjoy it. People choose where they live based on a complex set of priorities which can't be extended to any other person's circumstances. I've lived in some places that sound really terrible on paper but living there was a joy because of the people. Other times a "great" place is awful for the same reason. And of course "the people" is a total crapshoot because you add or subtract one person from any given social group and it can go from great to horrible or horrible to great like nothing

Putting a dollar value on rent or property prices is a bit trickier though because you have to consider the local economy. When the economy is booming sometimes those numbers lag behind income growth, other times if the economy is stagnating or shrinking the rent or mortgage costs are going to be inflated. Same goes for food expenses, like in some places eating out is crazy expensive but great ingredients are very affordable for home eating, in other places eating out for most of your meals is actually a reasonable way to go

But getting back to Wisconsin, the thing that sets that place apart is that few other places have such a vocal faction of "my place is best and everyone else sucks" in a way that's so far out of line with the way outsiders see it. Texas in general (Houston in particular) and the Los Angeles metro area would probably be the two other areas in the US that could fit that description

good postu

Love the state of Wisconsin. Hate most of the people who live there.

Sprecher's Root Beer is the best I've ever had.
New Glarus beers are legit.
I find the cheese hit or miss.

t.Hoosier

it doesn't take much to be better than illinois

literal peasant food, so who cares

>milwaukee

enjoy your shithole

Because there's fuckall to do there.

What the hell is there to do anywhere? Wisconsin has just as much to do as anywhere else in America, and the drinks are a lot cheaper at every quality tier so you can have even more fun doing it at a reasonable price

I'm on the east coast right now but I fucking miss those

>I'm on the east coast right now but I fucking miss those

That sounds like a fucking nightmare. Mn here. The most I've paid for a beer at a bar in ages is 8$ for a fucking import

Guy who lived next to Wisconsin for a few years here. This is true, but the flip side of this is that (as long as you're in a decent city) the drink selection is FAR better in general in the elitist coastie bubbles.

So your drinks horizon is expanded substantially provided you're willing to actually look. It's not like "a wide variety of beer, or a liquor selection only slightly better than Applebee's" like it is in the midwest. Like, you're never going to find namazake, or anything better than commercial grade makgeolli (assuming you can find makgeolli at all), or orange wines, or for that matter wines made from grapes other than the major "international varietals", or cider on any tier higher than Angry Orchard, in the midwest. You won't be able to pick between carrot shochu, yam shochu, rice shochu, etc. Good luck finding bars serving arak cocktails or anything more "obscure" than say, a Rusty Nail.

Different strokes for different folks, I love my alcohol and I'm happy with merely a few dozen kinds of any given beer style in exchange for the wider variety.

You are an idiot.

Wisconsin has some great cheese (if you haven’t had brick cheese you need to man) and the best brats (seriously I can’t think of a better place for them).

Also sprechers soda is crazy good.

Just saying no and accusing them of voting trump shows how all you do is smoke pole.

>My shithole is better than your shithole because it's more expensive

>Guy who lived next to Wisconsin for a few years here. This is true, but the flip side of this is that (as long as you're in a decent city) the drink selection is FAR better in general in the elitist coastie bubbles.
I disagree completely if we are talking beer (which is usually what I want with a meal), Wisconsin typically has a much more balanced and excellent selection of beer (not 75% IPA/APA)

Talking about Japanese stuff it is definitely true, Wisconsin has little Asian influence besides the large Hmong population (which off the top of my head I am not aware of any liquors they brought). But besides the Asian angle I really find this analysis to be untrue.

We're definitely beer oriented, but Wisconsin has quite a few wineries and Minnesota has been experiencing a surge in new distilleries. Outside of the 2 or 3 major cities though, it's mostly a shit show.

DEFINITELY NOT THE BEST CRABS

>Wisconsin has a wider selection of beer
But that's what I said

Also, orange wines are not Asian, nor is arak (arrak is a different spirit and is not really to my taste). Those were just examples, the point is the midwest is "beer or nothing", the selection of non-beer beverages is really lacking

and Trump only won Wisconsin because all the democrats pretty much assumed he had no chance and didn't show up to vote. Everyone in Wisconsin, and both of the candidates assumed it would easily go democrat as it previously had in every presidential election since Reagan (when he won 49 states)

Dude, that shit is obscure fucking everywhere, and is not a part of the drinking habits of all but a super tiny minority in any state

Some of it may be obscure (lol @ good cider being obscure though, you've obviously never visited the northeast), but it really doesn't matter to me that I have to go to the good liquor store to get good wines, or the good bar to get the good cocktails. The fact is I can get them here, and I can't get them in Oshkosh

>Also, orange wines are not Asian, nor is arak
I know, I was specifically referring to the large handful of Asian stuff you mentioned
>the point is the midwest is "beer or nothing", the selection of non-beer beverages is really lacking
Obscure liquors might be slightly less common in the midwest, but thats a gross exaggeration, there are plenty of liquors, and wine for that matter. Wisconsin drinks more liquor than almost any other state, and something like 80% of all the brandy America consumes

>you've obviously never visited the northeast)
I am literally in Boston right now. Cider is a bit more common here for sure, but its not like you can't get good cider in the upper midwest

Yeah, we've had this conversation before, it inevitably degenerates to "well, the liquor store in Menomonie Falls has 6 shelves of rum therefore the selection is just as good". And then if I say "well can you find _____" the response is "omg neckbeard shit lol! who drinks that?!"

I'm not here to convince you that you're missing anything, it's just an observation. Take it or leave it

Sorry if some small college town doesn't have your weirdly specific drink order, but you can get basically anything you can get anywhere else in America in Milwaukee or Madison. Wisconsin isn't like North Dakota or something where there are no cities. Southeastern Wisconsin is rather metropolitan, and Milwaukee is only a little over an hour from Chicago so if there was something super obscure that you just couldn't procure there its a very easy drive

Its one thing to complain about rural areas not having the amenities of a city, but Wisconsin is not a particularly rural state, with the vast majority of the population living between Green Bay, Madison and Milwaukee

But user, Oshkosh is literally between Green Bay, Madison, and Milwaukee. Are you really from Wisconsin or are you just memeing? The "college town" you probably mean up in that area is Appleton, unless you mean UW Madison. In any case I only mentioned Oshkosh as a joke, obviously there are bigger "cities" (sic)

>Wisconsin isn't like North Dakota or something where there are no cities.
No, it's nowhere near that bad, but that's like saying Malaysian politics are nowhere near as fucked up as Indonesian politics.

>Milwaukee is only a little over an hour from Chicago so if there was something super obscure that you just couldn't procure there its a very easy drive
Yeah, driving an hour to rummage through the bins at Binny's, I might as well just order it online. And even Binny's selection is rather lacking when it comes to say, biodynamic wines. Shit even mosel rieslings it's slim pickings, like ok Donhoff and JJ Prum, thanks guys but where's my Willi Schaefer

>well, the liquor store in Menomonie Falls
You talking about Woodmans grocery store? They do have a fucking massive liquor section. But seriously, half the stuff you mentioned is very obscure anywhere, and isn't stuff that even the most hip of Americans are looking for. Like I am not losing any sleep over the fact that I cannot find carrot sochu or namazake at my nearest super market. The scale of this complaint is just so absurdly tiny

>calling it soda in the context of Wisconsin, a midwestern state
neck yourself

fucking Minnesotans are just canadians but even more retarded. fuck off

No, Oshkosh is a college town (though not in the good sense like Madison is), UW-Oshkosh is a large portion of the small town's population, Appleton is not a college town, and is larger and nicer than Oshkosh.

I have to say though, your tastes are super fucking specific and obscure

Wisconsin says soda

Oh, I didn't even know there was a UW Oshkosh, learn something new every day. I was assuming you were thinking of Lawrence

And of course they're specific, that's what's great about having options, you can find stuff that caters to what *you* like instead of just drinking it because "that's what everyone drinks, what are you a fag?"

>biodynamic wines
lol , why is this possibly a thing that you care about?

Lawrence is a pretty small school. Wisconsin has a huge public college system for a state it's size

This stuff you are talking about is mostly stuff that isn't common anywhere. You are just picking obscure stuff that most of us are unlikely to have any opinion or specific knowledge about so they have no idea if your claims are even true

>not drinking by the lunar calendar
>this many years after Rudolf Steiner's birth
ISHYGDDT

christ, traitors!

>you just like things that are different from things that I like to put on airs
Aka, "what are you, a fag?"

I'm from Minnesota, that moment the vikes injured Rogers was gold

It has nothing to do with what I like. You are picking things that the vast majority people are barely even familiar with in any region. It has nothing to do with whether I like it or not, you are intentionally nitpicking obscure things because people here won't have the super specific knowledge to discuss the topic.
I certainly have no problem with you liking it, and though you really like the idea its simply not true that midwesterners don't like people that don't primarily drink beer or don't like gay people or whatever you are trying to say. Thats just not a thing

user, the whole point of my comment up here was to contrast Wisconsin, where beer is inexpensive, with places where beer costs more, but you get a wider variety and can explore a wider variety of things. I'm not sure how else to express the point in a way that would actually sink in, since if I don't mention specific examples, you'll just say stuff like ""well, the liquor store in Menomonie Falls has 6 shelves of rum therefore the selection is just as good". I'm not sure how else to get the point across in a sufficiently effective way, without you responding that I am "putting on airs"

In eastern PA right now, rec me some ciders that a college student will like. Don't mind splurging a little

Eve's and Farnum Hill are kind of obligatory. You may want to contrast those with some imported Basque sidras, which are somewhat cheaper and perfectly good.

Doesn't PA have really fucked up alcohol laws though? I thought everything was state run and you could only buy Diageo products.

>but you get a wider variety and can explore a wider variety of things
My point is that you still get a rather wide variety in Wisconsin, and you intentionally are singling out obscure beverages in the hope that no one here will have any specific knowledge of whether or not it is actually unavailable in Wisconsin hoping people just believe your claim. The premise that Wisconsin is only beer is false, but I don't know shit about the specifics of "biodynamic" wine (nor do I particularly want to with such a meme-worthy buzzword name) or the relative availability of shochu from different vegetable stocks. This isn't to say any of it is unavailable in Wisconsin, and I am sure if you can find it in your nameless east coast city I could probably find it in Milwaukee

>Milwaukee's best beer
>it's cheap and average

What's your point?

Well, nobody with an interest is going to click on a "Wisconsin general" thread, that's for sure.

And no, it's not available in Wisconsin. No "I bet", it's not. It's difficult enough in Chicago, which is as good as it's going to get in the midwest, drinks-wise.

I'm actually under the legal drinking age so I'd be buying it through a friend. From my understanding, PA does have fucked up liquor laws but I have never heard of this diageo thing

What do you say? Pop or coke?

Well, I guess I'm going to jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Thanks hiromoot for not patrolling this website for underage

joke's on you, bitch. I actually am hiroshimoot. you're under arrest big guy

Fuggg... this is karma for when I tricked a middle aged man into FedExing me scotch on a booze discussion forum when I was underaged

oh ok, we will all just take you word for it

It's not like we're talking over the Berlin Wall here. But I'm just putting on airs, so why visit new places? Wisconsin has everything anyone could ever want.

No one has said any of that stuff, thats never been even close to the tone of the discussion

Its just no one is going to believe you when you say this obscure thing we are unfamiliar with is super common in your vaguely defined city but we totally can't get it even if we wanted to (but also we wouldn't want to because we don't like new things?). The fact is this stuff is obscure anywhere and most likely similarly difficult to find in any American city because American cities really aren't that different when it comes to retail availability

>because American cities really aren't that different when it comes to retail availability
Don't you think your words might carry more weight if you had actually visited and lived in a variety of different American cities?

I am currently not even in Wisconsin, I am in Boston. I have been to much of the country. Texas is probably the only culturally significant part of the country I have yet to visit

You can throw a rock and find an orchard making their own hard cider