Sandwich Thread

Just made the best ham and cheese of my life.

Caramelized red onion, thin sliced tomato, pickled jalapeno, three slices sharp cheddar, four slices smoked ham, garlic dijon, grilled between two slices of wholegrain sourdough, side of homemade persian pickles... It was an experience, and now I got sandwiches on the mind. So post some sandwiches or something.

As much as I love a well made sandwich with high quality ingredients, one thing I still get a craving for is a good ole fashioned

>white bread
>mustard
>mayo
>oscar mayer bologna
>kraft cheese

Adding tomato made that sandwich trash tier

>eating bread

Enjoy your carbs.

>meat
Enjoy your heart disease

>eating food

Enjoy

There's method to my madness. Since I didn't want to go making a fresh aioli to add moisture, I instead used a combination of the garlic dijon and tomato.

toast, butter, pepper, mustard, egg over, turkey, ham, pringles.
it's a game changer

That unironically sounds like a terrible sandwich

Apologies as I don't mean to start any country based shitposting but I have to know

I was listening to a podcast produced in the USA and the people on it started talking about sandwiches, and one of them said he almost never butters the bread in his sandwiches. This isn't a common thing in the states is it? Normally here the first step of any sandwich is putting butter/marg/spread on the bread before putting in a filling.

I like to microwave my sandwiches sometimes. It sounds weird, but the sort of steamed bread texture is a nice alternative to grilling.

stop

We only butter our bread like that when we're making a grilled cheese meme sandwich.

Americans use mayo on sandwiches. God forbid they dip their fries in it though.

Oh. That's odd, at least to me; as far as I've always known here people put a thin layer of spread on their bread before anything else. Traditionally butter, though since it doesn't spread from the fridge and people are afraid of fat they'll use some softer alternative/marg-alike like Utterly Butterly or Clover.
Feels like the bread would be a bit dry if all it had was the bread, and whatever you were eating it with. Butter gives a bit of moisture, while simultaneously proofing the bread from any wetter filings.
Different strokes for different folks though I guess

It's good man. Protip: if you butter the ham side the lubrication lets you easily reopen the sandwich and add some cold pickle for contrast.

Mayo is more commonly used here.

I can see that working a similar way; I think some of our prepackaged sandwiches will use mayo in place of butter/spread. I might try mayo instead of butter some time.

You're a baby

Mayo is just basically oil and butter with some egg tossed in there. Same thing, really.

>oil and butter
redundant

>redundant

You don't know what you're talking about.

Not into it, used to do it a lot as a kid, though. Toasted or in the pan nowadays...

i'll never stop liking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

I made this the other day. leftover turkey, bacon, cheddar cheese, and tomato.

>not eating tomato sandwiches

this summer I ate so many sandwiches that were just a fat slice of heirloom tomato straight out of my backyard on good wheat bread with a little mayo, lemon pepper, black pepper and maybe hot mustard and every single one was a religious experience

heck yes
thank god for friends and family with gardens
i haven't bought a supermarket tomato in years, even in winter when friends aren't giving me tons
it's not the same and i just won't even bother for nine months out of the year

Fuck that's gross.

Freshly picked tomatoes have ruined store bought ones for me.

Nigga the only additions I would make are maybe a fried egg and grill that sandwich.

I love me a fancy panino or an artisan bocadillo but the tangy goodness of a bologna and mustard is A+.

>Caramelized red onion
how do you quickly caramelize onion for a sandwich?

Define "persian pickles"

You can kind of cheat the process by cooking at a higher temperature and adding some sugar to the onions to help them along, but it doesn't really have the same flavor that caramelized onions get when done on a lower heat for a long time.

you dont. You cook them for 40 minutes or so

Toasted/parched rye allowed to cool with creamy peanut butter and raisins/sultanas.
OR
Banana/mayo/fresh black pepper on white bread

anyone else butter the OUTSIDE of the sandwich if it's gonna be toasted? the cheese is enough to keep the inside moist. Had someone who was shocked to see my method. I'm normal right?

What's the best way to grill a sandwich? Every time I try to make a grilled cheese, I end up with blackened toast on the outside and soggy bread on the inside. I've tried buttering the bread first, but it still seems to burn on medium-high heat.

Turn the heat down.

turn the heat way way up

turn the heat to lukewarm.

Yeah, outside's normal.

This is the most god like combination of flavors, Pork and Pineapple Sandwich is fucking sweet.

Why the fuck would you? Jesus and europoors think we're fat

oh wow that looks good, shame i cant eat bread, cheese or ham :(

This. The secret to a grilled cheese is low heat and flip once.

Put a lid on it too.

My breakfast sandwich

You buy them.

Is that a home made muffin?

I fuckin love me a rueben
Gonna have to start making some corned beef and sauerkraut this weekend

Home grown tomato sandwiches are the best part of summer

this is a very popular sandwich in Germany