Why cant you put warm stuff in the fridge? doesnit it just cool down faster?

why cant you put warm stuff in the fridge? doesnit it just cool down faster?

Creates and traps steam in the dish, so it gets soggy when re-heated.

It warms up everything else in the fridge.

I think that was a bigger problem with older refrigerators but it's not a concern now because they're more efficient.

the temp is a kickstart for bacteria in your fridge

A fridge is made to keep food cold. It's not powerful enough to actively cool hot food down very well. So if you put hot food in the fridge it will warm up everything else inside there and make it all go bad faster. Pic very related.

There is a different kind of machine used in restaurant kitchens, etc, for cooling food down (as opposed to simply storing it). That's called a "blast chiller". It works the same way as a fridge, it just has a much more powerful cooling unit inside it.

Efficiency has nothing to do with power. Yes, modern fridges use a lot less energy than old fashioned ones. But they're not any more powerful at removing heat. In fact, many of them are worse than the old "monitor top" fridges.

>It's not powerful enough to actively cool hot food down very well.
USDA says it's okay to put hot foods into refrigerators

This. Also, the steam and moisture will get everywhere and form ice and water, which reduces room and efficiency.

>USDA says it's okay to put hot foods into refrigerators

Of course, the USDA is bought and paid for by the big hot foods industries.

It's so sad that benjamin franklen had to spend the last years of his life as a horribly deformed burn victim after his science experiments went wrong.

>looked it up
>it's true

A blast chiller is industrial equipment. I've never seen them in a restaurant.

Food is supposed to be placed in the refrigerator as soon as possible, although your "grace period" ,if we can call it that, will depend on the type of dish/cooking method. For instance, a chicken salad will definitely need to be put away in the fridge faster than a pot of hot chili (in other words, assess the risk of bacterial infection).

Your fridge is designed to keep things cool through convective cooling, thus putting a hot sandwhich or whatever is in your picture, will NOT heat up the milk next to it significantly.

t. food science postdoc

Restaurants have been using commercial blast chillers for years.

No industry professional would ever recommend putting hot food straight in the fridge. Especially when we are talking about batch sizes of the sort that restaurants tend to make. All cooking schools and food-handling certification courses (like "servsafe", etc.) teach that you cool the food down first before you stick it in the fridge. That includes methods like spreading the food into wide, shallow, pans so the added surface area can help it cool down, using a blast chiller (found in many restaurants, and even seen on the Iron Chef TV show), or using things like an ice bath or cold paddles.

Cool image. That busted ass scale triggered my autism though.

What's wrong with it? Thermal cameras always generate an arbitrary scale corresponding with the max and min in the frame.

In order for this to be of any use I will need to see a pic of it before the hot food is placed inside.

I do. Never been a problem with my whole plant foods :-)

Is that like the cold water boils faster meme?

You shouldn't be cooking with hot water that comes out of a faucet.

Hot is bad. But a little bit of warm rice in the rice cooker or something isn't going to harm anything else in the fridge. At least that's my headcanon.

You moron. The "before" image is supposed to be right after the hot food is placed inside, that's the whole point.

What? How is it before if the hot food is already inside? Shouldn't before be, you know, before...

>T=0
>T>0

Are those emojis

You can. It bacteria dont care if it's in the fridge or on the counter. IAs long as its warm they can thrive.

If anything you should put food in the fridge while its still warm. It'll cool a little faster than on the counter which means slightly less time in the danger zone.

it warms up everything else to cool itself

seconded. i only dump in the bacteria after the food chills