Are stand mixers a meam?

Are stand mixers a meam?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18
usinflationcalculator.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only when you pay over $200 for one.

What are you even trying to say?

They're only useful if you're baking at an industrial level. Stand mixers for home use are good if you have no arms or are otherwise hindered from using a hand mixer.

man i bought this exact same one a week ago...

and still haven't used it...

My grandmother had one at least 20 years ago.

So it's an older meme than these boards.

i dont know... but i got some pussy because i had one.

You must not bake much bread. I've been making a huge batch every week for the past 25 years, and I'm more than happy to let the hook do most of the heavy work.

Best kitchen appliance I’ve ever bought, use it almost daily, saves tonnes of time and effort.

bitches don't know bout muh mixer attatchments, just between the meat grinder and pasta sheeter attatchments it's worth it

This.
Women fantasize about being good cooks because people refer to it as women's work (even thought they are by default bad at it) and love acceories that they can show friends. If you can provide a kitchen that looks like they know what they're doing that they can show their friends you will get laid. Regardless of how garbage their cooking was before, a "good kitchen" will impress other females (because women lack developed tastes and are overrun by their hormones (explaining the inability of women in general to be successful chefs (minus those with hormone imbalances ie: lesbians and high test tombois))) who themselves can't actually taste food.

robots go home

>only useful if you're baking at an industrial level

Of course they're useful for large batches. But the average home baker isn't making huge batches therefore it's completely useless in most cases.

Only if you own neither. Buying an expensive mixer for those reasons is retarded.

both as standalone are expensive as fuck for anything decent. with a mixer you can have those at a decent price plus you've got a fucking mixer. shit's great for a lot of stuff, not just making bread

>Only if you own neither. Buying an expensive mixer for those reasons is retarded.
Even if you don't own either one, buying the mixer + attachments can be a lot less expensive than buying the individual tools.

That said, if you are serious about needing a meat grinder or pasta roller for any sort of volume then I would suggest buying standalone machines even if they cost more. The KA attachments work great but they are small.

Nah, they have plenty of uses.

Wtf are you guys smoking? It'd cost nearly $500 to buy their least expensive mixer + those attachments. You can buy a decent meat grinder on amazon for $30 and a pasta roller for $20.

>30 buck meat grinder
yeah that's hand cranked which gets old fast

I make a huge batch everytime i'm on

You can get an $80 electric grinder on amazon which is STILL less than buying the mixer and the attachments.

not if you also use the mixer which is handy as fuark, it's one of those if you've got it you'll use it kinda things but you won't realize how much you'll use it till you've had it for a while and see what all it can do. and five hundred isn't a bad investment in something that's gonna last decades on end, if you're serious about scratch cooking. like making a scratch cake, if you keep shit on hand for it, then it takes only about five minutes more time than out of a box but is infinitely better

I've had a KA mixer sitting in a closet for over a decade and I haven't touched it since. I bake daily. I've never had a reason to actually drag it out. It's the biggest pain in the ass to drag it out and then clean the damn thing.

It's not difficult to use a hand mixer and you have much more control, and I only ever use my hand mixer for whipping egg whites/cream and certain candies.

$500 is a shitty investment in shitty overpriced components. Absolute waste of money and if you're not baking for a crowd you're an idiot/lazy for owning one.

>owns expensive multi use kitchen device
>keeps it in the closet instead of on the counter
sure I'm the retarded one

>I bake daily.
youve never made bread?

>It'd cost nearly $500 to buy their least expensive mixer + those attachments
If you're dumb enough to pay retail price, maybe. I've bought many KA mixers over the years for well under $100. Sales, open-box buys, garage sales, etc.

>> You can buy a decent meat grinder on amazon for $30 and a pasta roller for $20.
You're comparing a high-priced quality electric mixer with shit-tier manually operated appliances? Not exactly a fair comparison, user.

In my experience a decent pasta roller (even manual!) is a couple hundred bucks by itself....and a lot higher if you want an electric one. Ditto for meat grinders. I make a lot of sausage (both as a hobby and for catering). As I got into doing that I've used everything from grandma's hand-me-down hand crank through expensive commercial models that cost well over $1000 (Hobart). In my experience you can get passable electric ones (Chinese imports) for about $100. It's a roll of the dice as to how long they will last. I had one last for 9 years. Another only lasted 2 months. You're looking in the $300-400 range for a solid electric meat grinder.

Though, I would like to point out that a standalone grinder is capable of MUCH more volume than the KA attachment is. The KA is fine for single meals and whatnot, but it's just too darn small for any kind of appreciable batch size.

>(because women lack developed tastes and are overrun by their hormones (explaining the inability of women in general to be successful chefs (minus those with hormone imbalances ie: lesbians and high test tombois)))

(
because women lack developed tastes and are overrun by their hormones
(explaining the inability of women in general to be successful chefs
(minus those with hormone imbalances ie: lesbians and high test tombois)
)
)

For fucks sake man format and comment your code, you even program like a virgin faggot.

I keep it in the closet because I never use it and none of my friends want it. I'll probably end up donating it eventually.

Yes, I make bread, and I knead by hand because I'm not a lazy shit.

>You're comparing a high-priced quality electric mixer with shit-tier manually operated appliances?

What? KA attachments are far from quality.

>In my experience a decent pasta roller (even manual!) is a couple hundred bucks by itself

Literally where? Do you need it made of gold? I mean seriously, I've owned the same ~$40 roller for longer than I've had my KA mixer and it still works perfectly fine. You don't need an electric roller.

>You're looking in the $300-400 range for a solid electric meat grinder.
>If you're dumb enough to pay retail price, maybe.

Also, to add, you're comparing a COMMERCIAL meat grinder to a KA attachment.

>Not exactly a fair comparison

>meam

>What? KA attachments are far from quality.
The ones I've owned have been very reliable, durable, and performed well. My only gripe (as I previously pointed out) is that they are small and not suited for high volume work.

>>Literally where?
Imperia Restaurant model. I paid about $200 for mine several years ago. I dunno what they cost these days. It's the only one I've had that's not a flimsy piece of crap.

>>You don't need an electric roller.
Agreed.

>>You're looking in the $300-400 range for a solid electric meat grinder.
>>If you're dumb enough to pay retail price, maybe.
Lol. The thing is that it's really easy to find deals on KA mixers because they're so common. Plenty of stores stock them. People buy them and don't know what to do with them so they re-sell them, etc. A product that popular is easy to find a deal on. Electric meat grinders aren't in the same cateogry. They're a specilist item so you won't find them at the same kind of stores that offer the big markdowns and they're a lot more rare on the used market. But sure, you can get good deals on those too. That's how I ended up with my current Hobart. I sure as hell wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay full price.

Agreed. Which is why I pointed out the serious volume advantage the standalone model has compared to the KA.

Hello, newfriend.

Id prolly make a lot more bread if i had one.

>The ones I've owned have been very reliable, durable, and performed well.

Most of them are encased in plastic, they're not exactly made of quality materials hence why I compared them to cheap rollers/grinders on amazon, except those ones will likely perform better than the attachments.

>It's the only one I've had that's not a flimsy piece of crap.

Maybe it's because I'm an old shit, but when I bought my roller it was a fraction of that price and not flimsy in the slightest.

>Electric meat grinders aren't in the same cateogry. They're a specilist item so you won't find them at the same kind of stores that offer the big markdowns and they're a lot more rare on the used market.

You can find them everywhere. They're not some kind of special unique tool. You can buy used ones on ebay, there are over 300 listings as of right now.

I'm sorry, there is no way you can justify buying a KA mixer for those attachments and claim it's a better deal.

>Buying and not putting it on your Christmas list

Christ are you lads retarded?

>having mommy and daddy buy things for you

I miss being a kid

>Not having a loved one whom you'll exchange gifts with

go cry on /r9k/

>having parents that are still alive
>expecting your kids/ friends to buy you a gift that's over $100

You'll understand once you're old enough to be self-sufficient, enjoy it while it lasts.

>Not having a wife or girlfriend to exchange gifts with

Nobody cares about your sad lonely existence you loveless faggot.

I said kids, how do you think I got them without a wife? Idiot.

I assume she's left you because you clearly don't love each other and/or you're some sort of cheap faggot who won't spend more than $10 on a gift.

>(((Buying gifts))) for Xmas

Good goy!

>doesn't want people to spend over $100 on a gift
>hurr must be a cheap faggot

I usually spend 50-60 max. My wife is the only person I've spent more than that on for a gift, and those were rare occasions. Thankfully she's not a materialistic witch and doesn't care about how much I've spent on presents for her.

Then why are you bitching about a mixer you could pick up for $200 in Black Friday sales?

>falling for the black friday meme

I already own one, and I've regretted my purchase since. It's absolutely not worth it.

Anti-KA user, what's the deal man? Did you have one break on you or something? You're wrong on just about every point.

>price
They aren't even $500. They range from $200 up to $500, with an average of about $300. As another user said, they are extremely common, so there's a large second hand market. You can buy a refurb on ebay for $150~. It's not a huge investment.

>cheap parts
These things last decades. You are objectively wrong. youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18

>for lazy people
That doesn't even make any fucking sense. Are blenders for lazy people? Are food processors for lazy people? It's a tool that speeds up processes in the kitchen.

>hand mixers give you more control
What? Again, that doesn't even make any sense. How is a tool with less power and inferior paddles meant to give you more control?

Try actually using your KA (if you do have one and you're not just salty), you might like it.

Oh yeah I forgot you're a whiny moron.

Okay but other people can pick one up for $200 in a Black Friday sale and gift it to somebody else whom they love, and that's okay, you bitter old cunt.

>They aren't even $500.

I was referring to the price of the mixer plus the attachments (meat grinder and pasta roller) which would retail for close to $500. Sure, you could pick all that up from a third party vendor for maybe a couple hundred less, but it's still considerably more expensive than buying the individual components separately.

>These things last decades. You are objectively wrong

You are actually objectively wrong if you think parts made of plastic aren't cheap. Plastic is not designed for longevity.

>Are blenders for lazy people?
yes
>Are food processors for lazy people?
yes
>It's a tool that speeds up processes in the kitchen.
A completely unnecessary one for any home baker/cook. If you're not making giant batches, the time and energy it saves is negligible at best.

>How is a tool with less power and inferior paddles meant to give you more control?

You seriously can't see how something operated by hand rather than giving the control to a fully automated stand mixer offers more control?

>Try actually using your KA (if you do have one and you're not just salty), you might like it.

I have, and it's shit. Fuck off KA shill.

>Okay but other people can pick one up for $200 in a Black Friday sale and gift it to somebody else whom they love, and that's okay, you bitter old cunt.

Never said it wasn't okay, you illiterate cock sucking troglodyte.

Guilty as charged. Thanks on a certain level as a practicing Roman Catholic the secularization of Christmas with santa (Satan) and excessive gift giving does bother me, but there are people in my family who INSIST in giving lavish presents so I may as well make it a useful tool.

Ah, I see now - you're retarded. It's not your fault, user. I'll pray for you.

Is this how you always react when you lose an argument? Well, have fun circle jerking with all these KA shills and trying to make yourself feel good about wasting money.

>wasting money

user you're the one who spunked $500 on the thing and then put it in a cupboard.

I bought mine on sale a decade ago for a little over $150. I'd be a complete and utter retard if I spent $500 or bought attachments for something I don't use.

Of course it was a waste of money. I'm not denying that. I'm not the one trying to justify my purchase.

>$150 10 years ago

So $200 in a Black Friday sale today.

>I'm not the one trying to justify my purchase.

You're the one projecting your wasted money onto everyone else. Shocking news: some people actually use the things they purchase and find value in them!

>So $200 in a Black Friday sale today.
you have no idea how inflation works

>You're the one projecting your wasted money onto everyone else.

Literally where? claimed the mixer was worth it for the attachments which it 100% is not.

>you have no idea how inflation works

Oh damn do I not usinflationcalculator.com/

>$150 in 2007
>$178.45 in 2017

Damn you got me, I rounded up.

>Literally where?

Literally here >I'm not the one trying to justify my purchase.

>Literally here (You)
>>I'm not the one trying to justify my purchase.

What? How is that projecting my wasted money on everyone else?

>It's the biggest pain in the ass to drag it out and then clean the damn thing.
it takes like 30 seconds to clean unless you're a retard and get batter in the gears. for someone who claims to bake bread entirely by hand every day, complaining about an extra 30 seconds of work seems a bit disingenuous.

yes

>it takes like 30 seconds to clean
I must be a retard then because every time I've used it I've splashed ingredients (mostly flour) on the mixer itself and had to clean it. It's easier to clean a spill on a counter than it is trying to clean all the nooks and crannies of a mixer.

>for someone who claims to bake bread entirely by hand every day

Never made that claim. I bake daily, I also bake bread. But I don't bake bread daily.

You ja/ck/ fags are all the same:

Pretty much.

Unless you've got some physical problems, like arthritis or some shit, then there isn't much of anything you need a machine to use to make shit for a family of 4.

honestly i have one just for the nostalgic sound because it reminds me of my dead mom.

kitchenaids are not covered in nooks and crannies. just take a damp cloth and wipe the flour off the housing. it doesn't need to be sterile.

Don't use that stupid word that you botched. No, it's not a fucking 'meme'. It's a device used daily by normal people who don't talk like assholes. Can you pick a day where you don't talk like an asshole?

My mother has had a Kitchenaid for probably 20 years now and it has held up well. It doesn't get used all too often, but it's a permanent fixture in the kitchen and always does what it needs to. Meat grinder is fairly useful.

correct

Sometimes a mixer is just a mixer.

lmao so mad