Things that your housemates/family/friends do that grind your gears

Things that your housemates/family/friends do that grind your gears.

>Washing chicken before they cook it

Other urls found in this thread:

foxnews.com/food-drink/2013/08/26/researchers-say-shouldnt-wash-your-chicken.html
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/16/do-not-wash-chicken-advises-fsa
nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/Washing-chicken-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx
foodrepublic.com/2014/06/17/never-ever-wash-raw-chicken-heres-why/
m.youtube.com/watch?t=3s&v=JdSvEqyXUNU
seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>sees recipe
>"let's try that!"
>doesn't follow recipe

wow guess how that'll turn out you fucking retard

alternatively:

>watches nothing but food shows
>can't even cook eggs

usually i trim, wash, then dry chicken prior to cooking. what's the problem

If you buy your chicken and it has skin on it, you should wash it well before using it. I worked in the food industry for many years. Now I farm nearly all my own food. Why? Because after seeing what went on in every level of the food industry, I'm not about to trust my food to anyone else ever again.

teenager detected

If you're a competent person in the kitchen, there's nothing wrong with going off recipe.

If you're a drooling retard in the kitchen like the people I live with, all you make is a mess and shit in the fridge you refuse to either eat or let me throw away.

>dirtying more dishes/cutlery/pots than necessary

>"user, chicken is covered in dangerous bacteria, even so much as a single droplet of tainted fluid could make you seriously ill"
>Proceeds to put raw chicken in the kitchen sink and slam the faucet up so high the water pressure could strip paint, covering the entire kitchen in a fine chicken/water mist

>what's the problem
1) Washing is pointless because it doesn't kill bacteria. (though cooking does!)

2) It's counterproductive because you end up splattering bacteria-laden water all around your sink and nearby area. It creates more contamination than it gets rid of.

>Washing is pointless

Usually it is. But sometimes the chicken smells like rotten eggs (I guess from the fecal soup they dip it in prior to packaging) and I like to rinse those so the chicken doesn't taste like a septic tank.

>sometimes the chicken smells like rotten eggs
Get better chicken then you fucking moron.
>GEE I GUESS THEY BATHE THIS SHIT IN SOME NASTY CHEMICAL SHIT OR WHATEVER
>JUST A LITTLE RINSE AND IT'S ALL GOOD

foxnews.com/food-drink/2013/08/26/researchers-say-shouldnt-wash-your-chicken.html

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/16/do-not-wash-chicken-advises-fsa

nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/Washing-chicken-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx

foodrepublic.com/2014/06/17/never-ever-wash-raw-chicken-heres-why/

>t. tendie warmers
It has nothing to do with germs. Its because most commercial chicken has a wierd "slimy" feel straight out of the package. If you rinse and pat it dry the seasonings will soak into the meat better.

People who can suddenly taste something they dont like once they know its in there. My mother in law is terrible about it, she suddenly couldnt stomach my mashed potatoes after the hundredth time she ate them when she found out theres a dollop of sour cream mixed in

Skip the rinsing part. Just pat the meat dry. That removes any unwanted juice/brine/etc and it doesn't splatter contaminated water all around you and your kitchen.

>Little rinse
Butcher got caught washing old greenish sausage with dishsoap to get rid of the stench and slimy residue.

Or, and follow my reasoning on this, I could wash my hands after handling raw chicken and clean my kitchen somewhat regularly. Its kept me from getting food poisoning for the decade Ive been cooking for myself, I am pretty confident it will continue to work. The functioning immune system probably played a big part too. In all honesty reading those 4 linked articles this sounds like a problem created by college students/millenials that never clean their shit and undercook their chicken

People wash chicken? That's so stupid Lol. The only reason to wet chicken is so seasoning and breading sticks on.

>People who can suddenly taste something they dont like once they know its in there.

The reverse of this, people who insist they can detect something you've never put into your food, is just as much fun. My mother in law refuses to touch anything I've cooked with cheese in it, unless I can outright reassure her there's no blue cheese in it, all because two years ago I made an off-hand comment about having made mac and cheese with Stilton. (My in-law thinks all blue cheese is inherently toxic and, though she'll never outright admit it, she subscribes to the miasma theory and thinks merely smelling it is enough to "infect" her).

>I could wash my hands after handling raw chicken
Obviously.

I'm just not sure why you would willingly choose to spend time and effort on an activity that has been proven countless times to spread more contamination than it prevents.

>> Its kept me from getting food poisoning
No, it didn't. It added additional risk and you ended up lucky. Washing meat or poultry is stupid. It's more work AND it's more danger. Simple as that.

>>millenials
Nope, this has been around for a long time. I have a cooking school textbook from the 1960's that discusses the risks of the practice.

Little known fact. Most people are to lazy to wash the kitchen sink apart from when it filled with soapy water to do the dishes

Or here's an absolutely insane thought - maybe you could still do all of that cleaning you mentioned, only maybe not also cover every work surface in a fine mist of raw chicken juices to begin with?

I don't wash chicken for the same reason I don't smear shit on all my kitchenware. Yes, I could do it and then immediately clean up afterwards to negate any risk, but it still feels a bit weird to intentionally contaminate my kitchen in a manner that's wholly avoidable.

i rinse meat prior to cooking for a few reasons, number one being there is usually a slimy film from sitting in the package. whoever said "it creates more contamination by splattering... etc". ummmm retard, dont turn your faucet on 100%? you can put on a small stream and be careful not to splash all over. secondly, as another user mentioned above, rinsing and then patting dry allows for your seasoning to stick better. seasoning directly onto that slimy film from the package is gross and does not absorb well. a quick rinse (no more than a second or two each side) and then paper towel pat dry.

> you can put on a small stream and be careful not to splash all over.
The fact that this is apparently your answer to preventing contamination, as opposed to filling a bowl with water and then submerging the meat, show how little you've actually thought this through. Even a light stream of water is enough to send micro-particles flying.

If my chicken smelled like a septic tank, I wouldn't eat it. What the fuck is wrong with you?

>I have a textbook
I have 4 years of watching college students cook. Did you know frying chicken the color of the fried batter is how you measure doneness? Or that frozen chicken can be cooked directly freezer to oven if you have the chicken sit in the oven as it pre-heats? Because both of those came up at least once with each batch of roommates. Toxic chicken mist was pretty far down on the list of things giving my roomies food poisoning.
While youre at it better get a full bodysuit and a decontamination chamber for your food. Dont forget to move your shaving kit and toothbrush out of your bathroom so you dont get poop germs all over. You DO leave your phone outside when you poop right?

>choosing not to make a mess for no reason whatsoever is the same as being a germaphobe
Hang yourself.

Why bother with the rinse at all? It achives nothing other than spreading germs around. There are zero benefits, only disadvantages.

Drying alone will remove any slimy film. Rinsing (by whatever method) is actively increasing your risk of bacterial contamination. Why do it at all?

>but it still feels a bit weird to intentionally contaminate my kitchen in a manner that's wholly avoidable.
Bingo.

I haven't considered it before my roommate mentioned it to me, I would defrost skinless chicken and just throw it in the oven

He said I should I should rinse it because the bacteria in the watery chicken goop

Realistically his reasoning is null since it will receive the most heat and sterilize it self but overall why would I want that shit cooking with my chicken.

So you shit with a phone in your hand but getting that film off your chicken is too risky? Honestly if mist born tummy aches are happening to you I cant imagine what havoc brushing your teeth with shit particle toothbrushes is being wrought

>washing any meat that's not muddy game at all

>but getting that film off your chicken is too risky?
Nope. It's not risky at all. It just takes paper towels. Adding water to the equation is more more work in exchange for more risk, so it sounds pretty damn stupid to me.

Phoneshitting is pretty damn stupid too.

>Dont forget to move your shaving kit and toothbrush out of your bathroom so you dont get poop germs all over.
I live in a civilized country, so my toilet is in a room separate from the bathroom.
>You DO leave your phone outside when you poop right?
I have a healthy diet, so I have no need for a phone while I'm pooping because it's not some hour-long event for me.

>Why bother with the rinse at all? It achives nothing other than spreading germs around. There are zero benefits, only disadvantages.
Which is why I advocate for submerging instead of rinsing. You remove any greasy slime without any of the risk.

lol, all this germophobe burgers…

Can we also add wooden cutting boards to the discussion, this is gonna be fun too.

this, so much this. I'm a kitchen nazi and can't stand to stand by and "help" people cooking. ffs, its not that hard to rinse the plate you used to store the freshly chopped garlic for the five milliseconds before you put it in the sauce while the pasta boils... you know which ones are the worst?
>you do the washing up, I cooked. what do you mean? I did the washing up last time you cooked!?
but you know what, I cleaned while cooking, so there were only one pot and a couple of plates and forks left to clean, while you left the sink full of dishes, pots, pans, cutlery and the stovetop looks like fucking verdun in december 1916!!!
and that is why, in our household, I cook most of the time.

>risk
sure, handling chicken is so fucking dangerous... are you niggas too stupid to rinse something without spraying half the kitchen?

It may be better than splashing under a stream of water, but it's still:
1) totally pointless. The towel alone will remove any slime
2) more likely to spread bacteria around compared to skipping the process entirely.

It's less stupid than using a running tap but it's still stupid.

What's the point of rinsing it all? Where is the benefit? All I see is more effort and more risk of illness from spreading bacteria around.

Gets the brine/marinade/packaging slime off the surface and after a pat down the seasoning sinks in better. As has been stated in this thread, if youre going to be a germaphobe about chicken mist, you probably do much worse in your day to day and never see ill effects of it.

If your meat comes submerged in goo that you need to wash off, that's a signt hat you're not buying food, but literal garbage.

You don't know what you're talking about. Shut the fuck up.

>Gets the brine/marinade/packaging slime off the surface
The towel alone does that. So why involve the water?

>>you probably do much worse in your day to day and never see ill effects of it.
I'm sure that's true. I don't give two shits about the disease risk. I eat raw fruits out of my garden without washing them. I regularly prepare tartare. I eat all manner of under-cooked and raw foods. It's just that I see more work (some of it risky) for zero benefit and I'm having trouble understanding why people do it. I agree the risk of splatter is minimal, but there's still zero benefit on the other side of the equation so it seems pointless.

Nigga I submerge it in goo the night before I make it, I just call it marinade. Unless you are buying actual McChicken grade "chickens" the slime is because its meat. Now dead cells release water, that pad absorbs most of it, the last 10% sits on the chicken. It feels wierd and makes the seasoning not take as well.

Theres zero benefit because you write off the benefit as not existing. You also keep calling it extra work like its not 4 seconds of water as opposed to an extra 4 seconds rubbing it with a paper towel to get that residue off.

Let me try rephrasing the question.

Why rinse->dry with towel->wash bowl when simply drying with the towel alone achieves the same thing and doesn't get chicken water anywhere? Why choose to perform 3 steps when two of those yield no benefit but take extra work/risk?

m.youtube.com/watch?t=3s&v=JdSvEqyXUNU

He could do it better

leave pizza boxes with pizza out for like 3 or more days and continue to eat on it

There is no extra risk nor is it pointless you dumbfuck

>There is no extra risk
seeOnly idiots wash their chicken.

Whats the bowl for? Why does wanting to get my pepper/thyme mix to penetrate the meat instead of sitting on it not come into the equation? What is youre preferred spice/herb mix for seasoning chicken? Why do you act like the 4 seconds taken to ensure that penetration is not worth it because you personally dont do it?

>There is no extra risk
Sure there is. You're dripping chicken water all over your bowl and inside of your sink, and probably elsewhere too.

>>nor is it pointless
How so? A quick wipe with a paper towel removes the slime by itself. Adding water to the equation doesn't help anything. It's not only unnecessary, it's more work and more risk. Wiping makes perfect sense. Rinsing with water does not.

>Whats the bowl for?
Didn't you follow the thread? user was suggesting dipping the raw chicken into a bowl of water.

>>Why does wanting to get my pepper/thyme mix to penetrate the meat instead of sitting on it not come into the equation?
It's certainly a part of the equation. However that simply requires wiping alone. Rinsing first isn't needed.

>>What is youre preferred spice/herb mix for seasoning chicken?
In what context? I don't season all chicken the same. When I cook whole chickens I usually stuff them with herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme) and lemon before roasting in the oven. Outside seasoning is just S&P. I might BBQ them, in which case I make a rub from kosher salt, paprika, and brown sugar. I might add cumin too depending on what sides I plan on having with it. If I'm doing southern style fried chicken then I marinade it with hot sauce and buttermilk. If I'm doing Asian style I don't season it at all, but I do poach it in master stock before I fry it.

>>Why do you act like the 4 seconds taken to ensure that penetration is not worth it because you personally dont do it?
I think the 4 seconds it takes to wipe chicken dry with a towel is totally worth it. What I don't understand is why people add water to the process. That's unnecessary extra complexity and it creates a worse food safety risk.

>Washing chicken

>wash

>you should wash it well

Splashing salmonella all over.

>handle the chicken
>wash your hands
DONE

Why do mother in laws exist

Because cooking needed a hard mode and a dante must die mode.

My bf has this stupid habit of throwing fresh meat he just bought in the freezer, even if he plans on cooking it tomorrow. I think its getting better now but he was really culinary illiterate when we first met

What a fucking faggot asshole he is.

this and not thawing shit before cooking it.
I ask my wife what does she want me to make when I get home.
that chicken we bought on sale buy 1 get 2 free
get home 5 hours later, chicken is still in the freezer 4 tight drum pieces frozen solid in to a square to big for any of my pans...
and I hate to thaw in the microwave.

>rinsing pasta after it's cooked
the older folks in my family all do this. it's disgusting and makes the noodles cold.

>putting cinnamon in chili
fucking revolting

>undercooked runny eggs
tastes gross and gives me the shits

>being a total bitch about salt
one of the best things I've learned in cooking is that salt is usually your friend. it just makes everything better and there is nothing wrong with it unless you have kidney disease or some shit

>being retarded with low-calorie cooking spray
if a teaspoon of olive oil is going to ruin your weight loss diet, there is something wrong with you

>eating hot dogs, ever

>A bunch of links claiming you shouldn't wash your chicken because if you turn your tap onto max blast you might splash it halfway across your kitchen onto your unprotected vegetables that you aren't going to cook for some reason.
It's fearmongering bullshit that anyone with a brain wouldn't have a problem with. If you're stupid enough for their advice to be warranted then you're too stupid to handle chicken in the first place. It's as stupid as claiming you shouldn't cut your chicken because when you move the knife to the sink later you might pass over other cutlery or food or your countertop and then those'll be infected by chicken cooties too! You might as well quote facebook pictures as your source.

continued, parents edition

>eating canned green beans, beets, creamed corn, etc
it's no longer 1944. fresh food exists

>insta-mash
potatoes cost like 5 cents a piece

>buying processed munster cheese
it tastes like wax

>disgusting preserved meat. spam, scrapple, hormel beef hash
my dad (who has blood pressure and vascular problems) annihilates this shit. good thing he takes statins.

>keeping an entire cabinet full of dried spices that are literally 15+ years old and taste like dust
they literally have a herb garden too.

>never putting salt in pasta water

>using 1/4 to 1/2 of a tomato, then putting the remainder (uncovered) on a shelf in the fridge to rot for the next week

>buying items in plastic tubs with peel-back foil under the lid, only peeling it back partially as the product is needed
idk why but this one really pisses me off and I make a point to rip the whole thing off every time I go over to my parent's house

thought of a few more:

>never letting meat reach room temp before cooking
both my mom and dad do this. my mother is somehow afraid of letting any meat sit outside the refrigerator. As a result, any attempt at cooking chicken results in burnt rubber. I've seen her completely ruin $40 worth of lamb chops in a similar fashion. They only ever really buy thin steaks, so that's at least usually edible.

>freezing bagels without slicing them in half first
the fucking bagel store does this for free if you ask. somehow my mother does not realize this so you wind up having to microwave the fucking thing until it's turned into a semi-rubber state of matter, then slice and toast it

>using late 80s/early 90s vintage tupperware/containers and 30 year old TV dinner trays as plates
my mom refuses to throw any of that shit away, even though the lids barely fit anymore. when they finally die my siblings and I are going to have a fucking party where we throw all their frustrating kitchen shit into a wood chipper and light it on fire.

>week old, gross, still wet iceberg lettuce as a salad base
pls no

>putting chef knives in the dishwasher

>buying "lite" salad dressing even though everything they cook is coated in 1/2lb of butter

Endotoxins.
just wash that shit off. sterile poop is still poop.

How else do you wash that crappy defrosted water off of your chicken?

all you really need to do is pat it dry. if it's particularly gross, rinse it and then dry it with paper towels.

all this BS about "zomg spreading germs everywhere!!211" is pretty stupid anyhow. It's called cleaning your fucking sink once or twice a week.

The sink is not a food prep area anyhow, it's for washing and waste disposal. Think of it like the floor of your shower, or a toilet bowl. The sink is not a sterile environment unless it's full of hot water and soap/bleach/sanitizer.

I only rinse chicken when brined

>letting meat reach room temperature before cooking
This does nothing. Everything else you listed rustles my jimmies a bit.

>never letting meat reach room temp before cooking
Mine are like that too

>oil in pasta water
>never drains fat
>doesn't use seasoning

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with watching cooking shows to appreciate the skills of a chef, you god damn donkey.

it's really important if you are doing any kind of high-heat technique (grilling, pan searing, broiling, frying, etc). If you are cooking slow and low it doesn't really matter, but if you have expensive meat and want it to be rare or tender when it's done, yes, you absolutely must start with room temperature meat. If it's too cold you will cook the shit out of the outside to get the inside up to temp.

My wife often refuses to cook without a recipe.

She then never actually follows the recipe anyway.

What's the fucking point?

It helps the food cook better. Imagine trying to cook a cold piece of meat. Not only will it take longer, but it will cook unevenly.

>washing chicken
Stop living with niggers.

The rule of thumb is if you see 'Tyson' on the label it should never be in your cart. Tyson is nightmare fuel as far as sanitation.

>t. Someone who got Tyson'd into the ICU without realizing their reputation

I only buy amish chicken that's raised like 40 miles from my house. all our supermarkets stock it, it's "yoder" brand or something similar.

the fact that they are raised by inbred religious hicks who don't believe in modern medicine, cars, vaccines, or cell phones really makes me feel better. every time I cook their chicken I just imagine marrying my cousin.

I get that brand too. Fuck it, I'll pay a little extra after having had to go through Oregon Trail style illness. Campylobacteriosis isn't a party.

jokes aside it's actually really good. at Heinens (guess where I live) it's actually cheaper than the shittier chicken from other brands.

doesn't really matter

it actually makes the sink more diseased than the chicken itself

i agree with most of these but the one that gets me the most is the instamash, shit is gross and it's not that hard making real mashed spuds

>freezing bread and letting it go frostbitten
>ketchup all over the cap in a sticky mess
>turkey bacon
>people who eat raw hotdogs.

>>freezing bread and letting it go frostbitten
my mom
>>ketchup all over the cap in a sticky mess
my dad
>>turkey bacon
me, unironically
>people who eat raw hotdogs.
my sister

my dad makes peanut butter/jelly sandwiches and uses THE SAME KNIFE in both jars, polluting the jam with little bits of peanut butter. it's infuriating

a colander can usually be rinsed clean of starch water pretty easily, it'd drive me nuts when a roommate would leave it in the sink to get caked in gunk

>roommates grab item from fridge
>rather than put it back where it they found it, they toss it on the very top shelf
>top shelf is now a cluttered mess

J U S T P U T I T B A C K W H E R E I T W A S Y O U L A Z Y C U N T S

>Apply jelly to first slice of bread
>Wipe knife clean on second slice of bread
>Apply peanut butter to second slice of bread.

>he doesn't have a sink in a cleanroom devoted entirely to washing his chicken

t. retard

>poop
You must be 18 years or older to use this website.

Get a dishwasher, poorfag.

my mom puts chicken in a cider, lemon juice and water an salt mix a day before cooking the chicken

My parents used to tell people they had a belt driven dishwasher.

T.T

Your dad is a monster. Everyone knows...jelly first. Now wipe the knife clean on the remaining slice of bread. If there is cross-contamination at all it will be a little j in the p which is far more acceptable than p in the j.

seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

>"After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge."

>doesn't follow recipe
Oh hey, it's my mom.

>fist sized pieces of vegetables
>still manage to overcook them to fuck

how do i properly thaw frozen meat lads?

just microwave it

I'd use her snatch to melt my meat, if you know what I mean.

>chews with his mouth open and makes horribly disgusting mouth noises

I know you have breathing problems and shit and can't breath through your nose well, but can't you just fucking hold your breath or some shit?

Bought an amish turkey for thanksgiving. Shit was delicious although I still had to pick a couple of tiny nubs from a couple of feathers