Is it really that difficult to make sushi?

Is it really that difficult to make sushi?

I've never tried but now want to after watching this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vFP5xD2l3ro
youtu.be/dJlKxpsSyZ8?t=112
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

only if you have assbergers

I consider it difficult to make beautiful looking sushi. If you have great quality fish it's not difficult to make it taste good though. Even if it isn't shaped correctly. Anyone can do rolls

It's a 'pride in your work' thing.

There's a guy named Tim at my local grocery that does it every fucking day. I've even tried some. It's not bad.

got to be able to properly grade the fish you get. which part of the fish goes to which type of sushi.

>>Is it really that difficult to play guitar?

Like anything else, it's a matter of how much of a perfectionist you are. Basic sushi is easy as hell. But you could choose to take it to an insane level too.

I can appreciate that there are intricacies with preparation and presentation but it's not difficult to. However there are different levels you can take it to by being a perfectionist. For example with meat preperation, there's a difference between being a meat cutter at a cheap grocery store and being a professional butcher seeking out and preparing the best cuts

No. If you can understand the quality of fish and the different cuts (not that complicated, it's the same as being a butcher) and are good with a knife (easy as shit), as well as being good at cooking rice, you have the skillset of a sushi chef.

It's the equivalent skill to being a decent butcher, but jap autists will pay some grandpa five bajillion yen to do it and stare at them the whole time.

great sushi is all about the quality of the rice, the temp that the rice is served to you at, the cuts of the fish and the different techniques used between the different types of fish used in order to maximize ease of eating it and flavour.

it's not hard to make sushi but it requires a lot of work to make great sushi

>falling for the sushi meme

You're basically asking what the difference is between a Big Mac prepared by a well-renowened chef and a normal McDonald's employee is.

People only pay for expensive sushi because they want to feel like they're eating something more than rice, seaweed, and fish.

>when Gordan Ramsey makes a burger, it's a big mac

His burgers suck donkey dick unironically. The moment he mentioned binders in his ground beef I lost all respect for the fraud.

Sushi is something that eventually plateaus with skill and the people who say they've trained pver 10+ years to learn how to make slices fish on rice are bigger idiots who but their overpriced shit. I frequented a restaurant in the middle of nowhere, Texas that made better sushi than some of the high-end coastal restaurants I've been to.

Sushi is a scam that rewards people who stay long enough in it to fool people into thinking you're getting something better because it's been prepared by someone whose old as dirt and knows how to market themselves.

>His burgers suck donkey dick unironically
I went to Burgr with the family and we were all pretty disappointed with our burgers. The shakes were great though.

it's just raw fish and rice smooshed together, fuck
i don't get it

YOU NO REARN HOW TO PREPARU RICE FOR 10 YEARS!!!

YOU NO HAVE DEDICATION SPIRIT.

SHAMEFUR DISPRAY.

KIRRO YUASERF

you think you can just go and put raw fish on rice?
american arrogance I guess

My second executive chef in a faux-french cali-asian restaurant taught me how to make sushi.
He was part japanese so shit was legit.

WAITO PIGGU HAS NO HONOR

Do they do anything special to the rice or is regular rice fine?

Why has there been a bunch of threads about this lately
Isn't the documentary from 2011 or something

you can easily make half decent ones, this is from my second attempt

>not cooking fish is comparable to being an amazing guitar player

it's a classic example of "easy to learn, difficult to master"

sushi isn't hard to make but you're never going to buy fish that's the same quality as the stuff they use at the best restaurants unless you know a distributor

2/10 you absolute pleb. You wrapped everything in nori ribbons, you combined avocado and fish on the same roll, there's A FUCKING RANDOM CUCUMBER SLICE AND ONLY ONE SHRIMP, your rice looks like absolute garbage, and to top it all off it all looks like it was thrown together at the last minute with not a second's thought about the composition of the piece. You nigger, you shameful piece of scum, please try harder next time before you shit up my board with your trash.

>desu not bad for a second try, just keep my extremely kind advice in mind next time

>hurr heres some cucumber taped to a bunch of rice

y-you too

This look bretty gud famalam. I'd eat them with some wasabi. Are they weirdly big, or is it the camera angle?

There's a video of a guy who spent 2 years trying to learn how to make perfect eggs suitable for sushi

here it is
that was easy
youtube.com/watch?v=vFP5xD2l3ro

It's hard to get the good fishes.

If you're not trying to make it look beautiful or going for specific texture, it's not too hard.

If you're going for a very specific texture, it will be difficult.

That's ugly as sin and your egg is burnt all to hell, but it probably tastes alright. At least it was maki, that's pretty hard to botch in a standard kitchen environment. What was your process for the rice?

>Honestly, user, not bad assuming you don't tell me that the rice and other ingredients were unseasoned. You're building a foundation upon which good cooking can be built, and I can only assume that you carry that into other non-weeaboo styles. Your mis is messy, but only because it's crowded. Keep going, and if you haven't already, you will make a future partner very happy. Good luck!

why is it still called "sushi" if it's served w/out rice?

It's actually called tamagoyaki (fried egg). These guys are called shokunin (artisans) and sushi is only one of the things they make.

It's a ten year apprenticeship in Japan to get a sushi chef's license. You spend the first 6 years just washing rice.

Thanks. They were huge and too big to roll properly because I'm a hungry fatso.
>What was your process for the rice?

>buy rice marketed as sushi rice because I'm too dumb and lazy to figure out what kind of rice that actually is
>heat water until boiling
>add rice and turn lower the heat to minimum with lid
>when water is gone/absorbed add an amount of rice vinegar
>slice the rice in straight lines to separate
>put rice in bowl with wet towel above to keep moisture until it cools
>make sushi
it doesn't taste half bad for someone with no standards

Just about any short grain rice will work, but find the one that tastes best to you and whomever you're cooking for. Kokuho Rose is an alright brand if your supply is limited, and you want somthing decent.

As long as the rice comes out nicely, the cooking method doesn't matter. I've alternated between some jap milsurp mess kit shit, and a zoji cooker. Zoji's nice, but it is possible to make rice just as good with simple tools. Add a bit of mirin and sake to the rice mix - tiny bit of dashi can be nice.

My final advice is to stop trying to do what restaurants do, get good at making food instead. You seem experimental, so you're on the right track. Keep going, and good luck!

Take some fucking raw fish and throw it on a ball of rice what the fuck it's not rocket science you don't even cook anything

You gotta find a healthy dead fish. Not just any fish either. You gotta cut in a precise way.
The rice I'm not sure. It's just rice to me (different kind of course) and you gotta cook it properly.

Come to Japan!
You can eat unlimited real sushi at $ 15
youtu.be/dJlKxpsSyZ8?t=112

matter of transportation, sushi is expensive in us
So all westen sushi is frozen and there is only salmon and tuna, Vegetable roll

Tamagoyaki is served at the end of high end sushi places as the final dish to signal the end of the meal.

Also it's a representation of their skill because anyone can cook an egg but it takes a master to make something amazing from it.

>all western sushi is frozen
Yum yum, worms and parasites, so deriricious! Grorious Nippon sushi truly superior!

Who the fuck are you quoting?