I'm canning tonight

i'm canning tonight

post canning related things

Other urls found in this thread:

foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/jar-and-bottle-sealers/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We canned @ 50 qts of tomatoes this year. I canned some smoked salmon this year again. We generally blanch and freeze our corn, green beans and peas. Root veg and squashes we just store in cool dark areas. Since the temp has dropped into the 40's we've been making venison snd chicken stock on our wood burning stove and canning that pretty much daily. I've posted this pic before but it's the smoked salmon and stock.

I literally just took some older home canned tomatoes and turned them into tomato sauce. I try to do this every winter, but this year the crop was so large that the rotation of food for the next 3 years is bumped up a good bit. This was 23 quarts reduced down to 8.5 quarts (2 pints not shown since I made spaghetti prior to canning as a test.) That's like a 63% decrease in space. It turned out really well. I can use this sauce for just about anything. It is merely pure tomatoes, nothing else added.

Here's some more of what I have on some of the shelves. Older pics from the beginning of October. I still have tons of pumpkin to dehydrate, jellies to make, and a bunch of other stuff..

very nice

here's a fun one i found while doing inventory today
>hermetically sealed
>no bulges or weirdness like off colours or bubbles

but open it up and..

disgusting white slime under the lid!

it smelled normal too! be careful out there guys

that's actually pretty smart. it's too hot to make oven roasted sauce during actual tomato season

how long did you roast them for?

It probably had the ring too loose after getting heated up and wicked out the water. Then when it does seal as it cools there will be food trapped under the rubber seal. It'll be air tight for a long time, then slowly something like that will start to happen. Where fungi can find a way into it.

I found this one yesterday. I think the lid was bumped as it was completely loose. No clue how long it'd been like that. Probably since the last time I had to shuffle things around on the shelf for space.

They were in the oven for just about 16 hours at 250F and 8 hours at 325F. It is just a reduction, though it did roast a bit at the higher temp. Yeah, can't do this in summer and fall. Doing this step in the winter means no cost for fuel to do it since all the heat stays in the house. In the summer, canning is done outside or with the kitchen full open and vented.

You've been canning just regular food without any kind of preservation steps in between?

canning is the preservation step

tonight i'm doing 4 lbs of dry beans
pinto and black eye

I'm not sure what you mean. I have a couple pressure canners, several water bath canners, a couple jelly kettles, a big dehydrator, and some freezers. All that is the preservation method.

rinsed and drained, the only anomaly i found is this one black bean

i put it back in

i gave the electric coil stove a head start over the induction plate

who do you think will win the boiling race?

How long have they been soaking?

Depends on the watts being used by either one.

Here's a couple venison stock we did this year. We don't even date it because we know we'll be using it within a few months.

It's amazing how long this stuff lasts. I was rooting around a couple weeks ago and found a quart of tomatoes we'd canned in 2014 - perfectly fine! I'd take a pic of my walk in stocked pantry but it's really narrow and I need to replace the light fixture.

I have a 5-year limit for my stuff. That way nothing is over 5 years old. Past that point, nutrition starts to go down a bit, color starts to change, and rust often times starts on the lid (humid where I live).

i'm quick soaking so not at all
i soak for 24 hours but i had an unexpected day off work today

the induction plate is 1800 and i believe the stove is the same but i don't know for certain

The pintos I would do 24 hours, but the black eyed ones can go as low as 8 hours from personal experience. Unless they were like years old dried that it then they take lots longer.

those look like jars
did you mean to say `jarring` perchance?

you are also supposed salt or sugar the stuff

No, the term, "canning," does not reference a metal food can. The first canning containers were also glass jars, fyi. It comes from the Latin "canna" meaning "container".

I don't use salt preserving. The only sugar preserving I do is for jams, jellies, and fruit preserves. For the dehydrated stuff, I just store those in canning jars and vacuum seal them with an adapter.

you can pickle tomatoes tho
no need to dry

nah fuck it i don't have that kind of time and the pressure cooker cooks the shit out of them no matter what

coil stove won btw

pls tell me more about your vacuum seal jar adapter

i'm just getting into dehydrating

You can use a normal vacuum sealer and jar attachment. I bought the jar attachment and use a modified brake bleeder (pic). I have both the brake bleeder and normal vacuum sealer. The brake bleeder is for when the electric is out.

foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/jar-and-bottle-sealers/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html

A pressure canner is a must for low acid foods.

Drying concentrates the flavors of the tomato. They are amazing in soups and stews.

>foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/jar-and-bottle-sealers/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html
thank you it didn't even occur to me that this was a thing!

my whole play smells like thos beans

i sift through the beans again after soaking because i find there's a lot more defective ones after the first phase

good use for wide mouths also because i hate buying those stupid big discs for double the price
>tfw always gift the wide mouths

If you dehydrate and powder up spices like I do with hot peppers, I recommend that you both vacuum seal them in glass jars and store them in the freezer. Normally, after about 2 months the pepper starts to smell and taste like normal store bought ground/crushed pepper. But, kept in both vacuum and the freezer, they can last over a year without flavor changes. Of course they can last a decade or more in that manner too.

Yeah, I bought both wide mouth and small mouth vacuum adapters. Wide mouth is good for stuff like pumpkin chunks, stew meat, whole pickles, etc.

I've been canning as a hobby for the last couple years, but last fall I made some pear butter that troubled me. It was really thick and by the time I processed it, it still had air bubbles in the actual butter. Could these lead to contamination? I put them through a full boiling water bath, but I didn't have the tools to remove the bubbles. I wound up tossing them all this summer anyway just in case, but I just want to know if I wasted all that tasty pear goodness

>I didn't have the tools to remove the bubbles
you can use literally a stick from a tree

regardless, next time you can always add liquid (pear juice, water, whatever) to get the consistency you want

there's no safety issue with having too much air in your jars before processing, iirc- you might have issue with the product siphoning out or the jars not sealing correctly or a quality issue if it's stored for a long time, which sucks but you won't get sick

Bubbles in fruit butters and sauces is normal. You can normally help remove those by bringing the food to a boil for 5 mintues. That helps a great deal in getting the air out. This helps with many things. Mainly, it reduces oxidation from the excess air and helps prevent the food stuff from floating up against the lid during processing where it can cause sealing problems and leaks. The bubbles in the finished product just looks odd. If the acid content for water bath is in the proper range or you pressure canned, there won't be a problem with contamination.

>I just want to know if I wasted all that tasty pear goodness

Unfortunately, I think you did. That's okay, it is better to err on the side of caution, if you feel something even might be wrong.

jarring time
scoop beans in first about 7/8ths and then pour cooking liquid from the measuring cup

clean the rims for a tight seal and screw that lid on tight (but not too tight)

HAHAHAHAHA OPS CANNING IS SO BAD HIS PARENTS WONT LET HIM KEEP IT IN THE KITCHEN HE HAD TO PUT IT BY HIS VIDEO GAMES LOOOOOOL

fill the canner
4 pounds of beans just happens to be the perfect amount to fill a 24 qt. canner with pint jars

my parents don't live here

how old are you?

Canning in december? Where are you?

Or acid. As in the acid in tomatoes.

i'm canning dried beans

in canada

>dude botulism lmao

Youre life is bad because youre a coward.

you can just scoop the mold out and eat it

Keeps the wrinkles away

>by killing you

Mycotoxins are the most carcinogenic things known to man.

really?
i would have guessed oxygen