I'm considering buying a giant gouda wheel and slicing off sections to hand wrap and box to send to F&F for Xmas...

I'm considering buying a giant gouda wheel and slicing off sections to hand wrap and box to send to F&F for Xmas. What do you think, would you enjoy a gift like this?

No, that's fucking stupid. I can buy a chunk of gouda any time I want at the supermarket. It's not special.

>w...wow user, thanks for this slice of cheese
>I....I'll treasure or something. Thanks.
Trash. Fuck you. If I want a slice of gouda I'll fucking buy a slice of gouda/ I don't want your dirty autism hands slicing and touching my cheese faggots. Post a pic of your fingernails right fucking now.

what cheese would be special then?

What do you mean by F&F?

I would enjoy a whole wheel of course, and be quite happy if I wasn't on some diet/lived alone/not that much into cooking. No, I would not enjoy $5 worth of a wedge I could get at Aldi in packaging meant to prevent spoilage. I can buy a small Edam, probably 5lbs at Costco for $7.99. I almost picked one up last visit. If you have access to some craft farm doing exceptional and hard to buy Gouda, that'd be different.

Go ahead and attend invited parties with a bigass giant wedge, like 1/4th of a wheel, knowing full well, they'll get the rest for leftovers, but don't actually call that a gift.

>implying i don't work at your grocery store and already slice your cheese for you with my gooey fingers and greasy hair.

Maybe if you special ordered some hard to find, expensive, very high quality cheese from Europe, choosing a variety of cheese that's not commonly sold where you live, it could be an ok gift. But you've shown that you're too stupid to figure this out, so you probably should just abandon this whole cheese idea entirely and get something else instead.

Truffle burrata from Maple Brook Farms in Vermont. Get everyone they're own cheese ball thing.

It seems like truffles would overpower the burrata.

>what cheese would be special then?
Something you brought back from vacation or drove 19 hours into upstate NY to get from the seller's farm. It's all relative though. Are you importing this? Are the recipients dutch expats jonesing for this?

Source: dad used to fly to aruba (for work) and brought a wheel each time. As a kid, I would hack at that each breakfast making some omelette, grillin up some grilled cheese, making a macaroni casserole with homemade breadcrumbs. But that was _me_ not a random person. I think there is nothing better than slicing it yourself, but would I want a wedge as a gift? Maybe if my only grocery was dollar general.

get this

If you get a nice enough brand, sure. Like buying someone chocolate or a nice whiskey. I know like three different italian people that do this.
Retards.

Only if it's an especially nice cheese and only if the people you know are into it. And even then it's kinda strange. If youre going to do this then you have to make like a gift set out of it with maybe some crackers and topping included.

Do it. They'll think it's your way of coming out as autistic to them and they'll think it's sweet.

I can't stop laughing. Is this guy for real? You can buy gouda slices at the fucking supermarket for no more than $5. Holy shit

Seconding this.

I can't stop laughing. Is this guy for real? You can pick mushrooms off the ground for free. Why would you ever want to use truffles? You can buy Wonderbread at the fucking supermarket for $2. Why would you ever want to bake your own bread?

niggers

it's something people who aren't losers have

OR, you can buy cheap cheese and craft up a cheap cold smoker. Makes and excellent xmas gift IMO, I use cherry wood.

Nah bro... nah.

Okay, but what does the exact abbreviation mean?

Friends and family.

And in the end, how much time was saved by abbreviating it?

It would have been fine if you weren't exceptionally retarded and could solve simple problems with your pea sized brain

I knew what it meant. I was making a point about how fucking dumb the proliferation of useless abbreviations has become.

Well aren't you just so fucking superior? Keep fighting that righteous fight, I'm sure you'll make a difference.

Not him, but it's fucking gouda we're talking about. The plainest, most popular kind of cheese. No one gives a rat's ass about getting gifted gouda for fuck's sake, just like you wouldn't wrap a sack of potatoes and place it under your christmas tree.

What is F&F?

The distant brother of H&M

Stay mad, facebookfag

Just a hunk of gouda? No, that's dumb. But get a hunk of gouda in a gift basket, with a mini bottle of wine, some crackers, dark chocolate? That's a solid gift for people you want to pretend to care about.

Yes add me to your list

friends & family

>This
Not explaining what "this" is

What, you've never seen a ricotta?

I haven't seen one molded like that. They sell it in cottage cheese containers where I live

Yeah, that's the most common way of getting. It starts out in this shape though. Get one, the texture is nice with olive oil.

Guys be nice. This guy is not shit posting about getting an electric knife sharpener. That would be the kind of guy who actually deserves a beating.

Handmade deserts would be nicer. Like Bread, cobbler, or some pastries. I gifted my boss some sweetbread after getting a letter of recommendation. Its a homey and warm thing to do. As for the cheese? It'll be nice, but not everyone eats cheese. Everyone eats dessert, and it shows a little more effort and love. Best of luck!

I would like to get more into cheese, maybe I will get a ricotta since you recommend it

OP, fuck the cheese. Get everyone a box of these. There's nothing better than getting smashed off nog and eating a hundred of this little fuckers.

Is Maple Brook famous now? I used to buy cheese there in the summer a while ago, it's weird to see it on Veeky Forums.

was bretty gud

I like this idea. Maybe several kinds of cheese to make a sampler of sorts?

Can you eat the wax around the cheese?

oh shit what are those called again

Lil cakie bois

I wouldn't recommend it, but it is food safe so if you really really wanted to you could

That would be autistic tho

petit four
kek

It's better value just to give them milk. Make it a lot, like a 44 gallon drum each.

malk

Wtf is that

Looks like a decomposing body stuffed into an oil drum and filled with cement

That's what I was afraid of.

is okay bby

Fuck all these haters OP, I for one would be delighted to receive a nice piece of cheese as a gift. The best gifts are personal in some way IMO, and if you have a delicious cheese that you want to share with your F&F don't let some autistic nerds on a bulgarian fishnet stocking forum tell you it's a bad idea. Cheese is fucking dank, you'd have to be the most self righteous asshole to be upset upon receiving a goddamn gift that someone wanted to give you.

It's the bodies of one of the doctors who were performing an 8 hour plastic surgery on a cartel drug lord who was trying to evade capture by changing his appearance but died during the operation. I don't think that's covered under malpractice insurance!

body*

A piece of cheese isn't personal. If OP wanted to make it personal he could do what this user said and create a nice little set that someone can enjoy. Going the extra mile like that is what makes it good. Otherwise you're just giving a gift that anyone could have picked up for a few bucks at the grocery store. It'd be like giving everyone you know a gallon of milk.

I'd enjoy a large wedge of cheese as a gift. Not sure how well it would ship though. If someone gave me a high-end home made gift basket with cheeses, coffee beans, dried fruit, tree nuts, dark chocolate, whisky, wine or other kinds of things like that I'd be pretty happy.

Gouda is my favorite cheese, so of course I'd like that as a gift.

Fuck you r*Ddit fag
Fagbook > r*Ddit

>they’re own
Your a spastic.

>gouda?
>what about -picrelated-

This.

To you it's not personal, but to OP maybe it is. There literally isn't a gift you couldn't buy at the store yourself, that's what makes it a gift. Someone gave it to you.

But its not just about what the gift giver thinks it should be about what the recipient will think and feel. If OP is confident they'll like it then he should go for it, otherwise I think the suggestion of making it into a gift set is a good one.

Sounds like a gouda idea to me!

No the recipient really doesn't have that much sway. The recipient should be grateful for the gift. The only time you should spend a lot of time thinking about the "perfect gift" is for a significant other. People in the generic friends and family category get generic gifts and that's all they should expect. A box of candy, a bottle of nice wine, a pair of knit gloves. This sort of thing is how adults do Christmas. Something a little nice but mostly practical.

I mean if you want to do it that way that's cool but imo if I'm even bothering to give someone a gift in the first place then I want them to really like it, why even bother in the first place then?

Because exchanging gifts is about a lot of things. Holds place as a favor, exhibits a level of closeness with someone, exhibits the givers wealth and tastes. Sometimes you simply have too many people to get all kinds of unique gifts for. My dad and one of my friends each have 5 siblings what are they supposed to do spend an enormous amount of energy and money on their siblings, give them nothing at all? Or make a nice generic gift everyone gets the same thing, it's something they all like and everyone is happy

Never gift a consumable. You want your presents to have presence. Thank you.

You don't have to get unique gifts if you don't want to. I just find a wedge of cheese impersonal and not a nice gift by itself. If you could make it special with a little extra effort then why not try? If I don't think my brother or sister is going to love something I don't even bother getting it.

Wrong. I'm so tired of useless junk filling up my house that I want something I won't have to look at in two months.
Most people I know enjoy small gifts of specialty foods around the holidays. In fact it's one of the most traditional Christmas gifts.

I'm aware people like food. I just think the cheese wedge by itself isnt a good gift, and that it would be elevated a lot by including crackers, mustard, some other shit enjoyed with cheese etc.

I mean I guess but what if that's not in ops budget. That shit adds up quickly. He's under no obligation to elevate an already nice gift.

Box of chocolate, bottle of wine, nice liquor, homemade food, tickets to anything
>fucking consumable what a shit gift fuck you

St angel is pretty good

Faggots and failures

OP do this. If you wrap the wedges nicely and pair them with some wine or crackers or something in a wrapped gift basket it's not a bad idea

you can make ricotta yourself in 5 minutes, its better than most stuff thats sold in supermarkets

>you can make ricotta yourself in 5 minutes
That sounds whey too good to be true. Are you sure it's ricotta you're making?

>ooh what's this?
>looks like a special present
>*unwraps*
>cheese?
>cheese by mail?
>what the fuck???
>what kind of retarded fuck sends cheese for christmas?

Casu marzu, im sure it will be appreciated

That's the most common ricotta mold for making it at home

I've been getting really into cheese making recently, Gouda is pretty easy to make. Make them each a 2lb. Wheel

this is almost as autistic as
>you don't have to tell me what happened but you do have to eat this

only if it is a 1000 day or longer aged gouda. that has become hard and crunchy in some places. it must be Dutch too.

the younger american goudas are too soft and flavor is too mild.

QUE RICO SWE BE NO MMS, AZEMOS KARNITAS AZADAS O K?

nothing wrong with buying a wedge of hard cheese as a gift if you're staying at someone's home over the chrimbo season imo

Why don't you like cumin?

>proliferation of useless abbreviations
that is "PUA" dumbass look at how much time you wasted spelling it out nigger your dumb

He wants to share cheese wedges with the cast of the fast and the furious

>Retards.
no u

give them amazon vouchers, you lazy cunt

Can someone sell me on gouda? I find it to be ultra bland, am I buying a bad brand? or should I age it further after purchasing it?

Great idea but for the love of god pick a better cheese

Truffle cheese.
From the cheese market.

Tesco's clothing brand.
You know: Freddie & Fuckface.

Honestly, these. If you're gonna give them cheese at least choose a more exotic cheese. Gouda is so plain that giving it would be like giving somebody a pack of Kraft Singles.