Is there any differences to these things?

Is there any differences to these things?

Do they ever wear out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YmX3RD2d61Q
youtube.com/watch?v=CzoJtzQV2s8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm not an expert but you should probably get one with a "hilt" or whatever they're called so if you slide the knife down the length it won't cut your fingers off.

I have an old Sheffield England and I'm just wondering if I should replace it or not.. Seems fine but I don't really have anything to compare it to

>slide the knife down the length
Or just don't do that, considering it's stupid and there is no reason to do so.

It's just that I can imagine myself doing something stupid like that with my IQ of 30

Another question is which direction should the blade go when sharpening?? Like should you push the blades edge across it as if you were cutting a sliver off or should you draw the blade against it

They do wear out but the home user will never manage it with a decent quality steel, you do not need to go with a high end steel, but stay away from the cheap ones, they can do more damage then good. You pretty much want to spend the few extra $$ for the increased quality control.

It is just a food safe version of the barbers strop, it can be cleaned and will not harbor bacteria like a leather strop would. Use it between sharpening to maintain the edge.

Try steels with a microgrooved or smooth surface, they are just as effective as the file-like ones and they dont tear the shit out of your knives. I have a professional EICKER microgroove butchers steel and I really like it. It works just fine of my nice japanese knives with hard VG 10 steel too without chipping the edge.

The latter will take off less material but the former will be more effective and postpone the need to sharpen on a stone because it takes off more material. People who say honing doesn't remove material are wrong. I hope y'all rinse/wipe your blades before touching food. The bf won't eat anything if I don't do that.

They rust if rinsed and left sitting every time.

Thank you

Also, can your BF detect when you haven't rinsed the blade?

I have a friend whose GF makes him wash his hands all the time. It's gotten so bad that he actually will shut the door and run the water just to pretend like he is obeying her orders

I assume you mean edge leading and edge trailing? if so you use it edge leading, with light pressure, at an angle just slightly higher than the bevel of the edge.

We had a few that went completely smooth at my old work. If that counts as worn out

You've assumed correctly. Didn't know the terms until now, thanks

Any reason my idol Gordon Ramsay does it wrong? That is what honestly let to my dilemma
youtube.com/watch?v=YmX3RD2d61Q

Gordon is a great chef, but like 99,9% of professional chefs he doesnt know anything about or care about knives. It hurts me physically to see him slam his knives on the steel like that, he's gonna have a nice concave indentation worn into his blade in no time at all.

But yes, the grinding effect may be there as well, but with edge trailing you have almost no angle control. If you look at he video he uses wildly different angles for each side and with every stroke.

If you want to be really precise, place the blade flat on some piece of smooth soft wood or leather, like the back side of a leather belt. Then move it along the surface with the edge leading and keep raising the back of blade. As soon as it begins to "bite" into the surface you have found the angle of the bevel. Then take your steel, place it vertically on some surface, tip down, maybe on some folded cloth so it wont slip, then slide your blade down the steel from both sides at the angle you have found (well, slightly higher). It is much easier too see and hold the correct angle that way.

Slide the blade edge-forward down the steel?

yep, and you use both sides of the steel for the two sides of the blade.

The file ones are the cheap ones in my experience, and they are garbage.

Personally I just go to the stone and sharpen my knives, a steel is great if you are working line and do not have time to wash your knife, sharpen it and get back on the line, but I am just cooking at home and it is no issue to pull out the stones, I just do it as part of clean up if I noticed things were getting dull.

YOU'RE WASTING STEEL

It's a $10 Chicago Cutlery knife.
Cry more.

You could have got TWO Kiwis, you DING-A-LING!!!

What a little bitch cuck.

Someone got a good video? I dont understand it in text. The way gordon does it here is wrong?

Its not "wrong" scrape your blade across teh steel hard enough and long enough and you will get some kind of edge sooner or later, but will be a horrible one and it rapes your knife.
Watch this, Scott Rhea is great. At around 2:00 min.

youtube.com/watch?v=CzoJtzQV2s8

thanks

>YOU'RE WASTING STEEL

A few swipes across a 3 micron stone once a month with the occasional swipe across the 9 micron stone. I might take 0.1mm off a year, only my chefs knife needs to be sharpened that often. I think I can live with losing 1mm of blade a decade, doubt I will even manage that.

No its not, I do not use stainless, but I do have an old Chicago Cutlery paring knife, It was the first knife I bought when I moved out, thought it was quality back then. It is mostly my knife for siting down to cut and eat fruit in hand, which it does quite well.

You use this to straightned the edge, and once every 10 edge strzightens you have to sharp it in a machine, on a belt or a stone.