Pour over or French press for best cup of coffee?

Pour over or French press for best cup of coffee?

I like press. Taste aside, some people complain about cleaning them, which has made me understand that average person is lazy. I've used press coffee as my mainstay my entire life though simply because it is what my father used, so I may be biased, the idea that cleaning it is in anyway difficult still confuses me to this day. I like coffee to be simple, bold, and "oily"(I do not know whether this is the correct term but I feel pourover removes something of the substance of coffee).

>pourover removes something of the substance of coffee

I would say it is that the pour over does not extract all the things the press does.

For me I like the pour over for light roasts and the press for dark roasts.
Mediums can go either way, depends on the particular coffee.

Moka Pot for dark roasts as well, when that mood strikes.

Yes, the extraction observation seems more accurate. This is not relevant to the thread, but do you (or any moka pot owners reading this ) feel there is any merit to the aluminum health scare? I have always enjoyed moka pots occasionally but as Alzheimer's disease is prevelant in my family, I had an extreme kneejerk reaction after reading 2 articles and planted succulents in my Bialleti...In hindsight this seems overkill because of the amount of aluminium I must have in my system from using it to smoke pot.

What's the point of pour over? Can't you just get pic related?

Bialletis are a never wash sort of thing, after using it abit you end up with a nice coating of coffee on the inside which seals the aluminum. Aluminum can cause problems, but its not going to happen in a bialetti.

You can just get a stainless moka pot instead as well.

takes space and need to be plugged in. I have a kettle and my chemex was cheap and is easy to stash out of the way. You also get considerably more control over the brewing process.

Anyone fucks with reusable cloth filters? I've always like the idea, but have so many paper filters stored that I haven't had a chance to purchase one. Also looked into the "coffe sock" but the way they talk about it seems so memey that I can't commit.

I just use one of the so called gold filters with the super fine micromesh, work great and easy to clean.

Pourover, by far.

>million times easier to clean
>clean cup, zero sediment
>can bring actual flavors out of the coffee (provided you have a proper grind)

>>million times easier to clean
Takes about same time
>>clean cup, zero sediment
Use a proper grind, ground by a burr or hand grinder and don't decant that last sip
>>can bring actual flavors out of the coffee (provided you have a proper grind)
I think that is true to even grandmas percolator

none of the above, boil water, add ecological ground coffee, steer, wait 2-3 minutes, use strainer when pouring into jug, preheat jug and mug with boiling water, serve with ecological low-pasteurized whole fat milk and enjoy

those make coffee taste sour and when you clean them with "coffee-machine cleansing chemicals" the coffee tastes like ..chemicals

>Takes about same time
you're a crazy person.

I'm a big fan of french press
Pour over is just a glorified deconstructed drip machine

Instant

I like both. Sometimes it depends on the coffee. Generally, though, I hate having to clean the ground out of a French press and usually stick to pourover.

>coffee-machine cleansing chemicals
You mean vinegar? Vinegar's all you need.

Nobody has ever claimed it to be anything different.

Vinegar has a lingering odor and taste. "Coffee cleaning chemicals" usually means powdered citric acid. If there's any residue after multiple rinses, it's more likely to pass as part of the "coffee taste"

But hey if you want to sperg out about "muh dihydrogen monoxide chemophobe libruls" go crazy, that's what Veeky Forums is for ;)

I use one because it's the cheapest method to filter. I paid $1 to filter my coffee for 4 months and ongoing.

I think pourover is better because I like a clean up and the cleanup is faster in the morning. You really need a proper grinder to dial it in, though.

Either way, both are great and you'd just have to try both to find out what you prefer

*I like a clean cup

pull the press, put abit of water into the carafe give it a swirl and a chuck out the door into the garden. Back to the sink, rinse whip, rinse, spin off the bottom, rinse quick pass with the brush, rinse, do the stem and top, reassemble.

I grind my coffee, wash the pot/any dishes in the sink and get my oatmeal going all well before the water in the kettle boils.

>Takes about same time

No it doesn't.

I just rinse the grounds out from the carafe into the sink and boom it's cleaned... Like 15 secs

You gotta wipe down the carafe and plunger, dude.

Why, my dude

how dark do you like your roast?

light roasts taste grainy and acidic, but have the most caffeine.

Do you have cerebral palsy? Are you an amputee or something?

90% of the time I just buy the darkest most oily beans they have. Otherwise I go with a french roast. Out and about I just do as the Romans do and am happy to do so.

Because it's gross

Water and coffee is gross?

The coffee oils smeared all over the inside of the carafe

So coffee is gross?

to clean a pourover cone you throw the paper in the trash. it takes a fraction of a second.

If I'm making my own at home, medium dark roast.
I'm typically hard-pressed to find a cup of coffee I'll turn my nose up at elsewhere, though. I'll freely admit to being a bit of a snob about quality and preparation at home but if I'm out and about I'll be glad just to get something that doesn't taste like brewed burnt toast.

Keurig with folger's k cups is the white man's coffee.

Old, rancid coffee is gross yeah.

the tube