Russian Veeky Forums here (it is actually /di/ on 2ch)

Russian Veeky Forums here (it is actually /di/ on 2ch).

I came to find out what do you guys know and think about Russian cuisine. Not Soviet or other nations in Russia, just native Russian stuff, traditional. Have you tried anything? Are there some restaurants that offer Russian food where you live?

I'm aware of weird stereotypes but it's okay, tell me everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5UOowIxfX88
youtube.com/watch?v=uVUagOO_53g
youtube.com/watch?v=YO7AdLsUSec
youtube.com/watch?v=k1UTJKBMvgc
thefreshloaf.com/node/37222/borodinsky-supreme-old-school-100-rye
sourdough.ru/borodinski/
youtube.com/watch?v=-RjawJ8LImM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In Soviet Russia food eat you

Well we Know the difference between Russian and Soviet food. Russians actually have food.

I've never had it and I have a conception of it as being bland peasant food, alot of soups and potatoes, idk. I've never seen a Slavic restaurant before and I live in a big city. My sister went to Moscow and said it was nasty af. I'm open to having my mind changed though.

uuuuh... that thing that you make with cabbage?

Why do you guys like sour cream so much?

Westerners barely know anything about Russian or Slavic food in general. If you asked a random guy in Western Europe or North America to name a single Russian dish I doubt 90% could manage that. I have never seen a Russian restaurant in my life. The closest equivalent is Polish food.

not sure if russian or not but in the winter we eat potato leek soup with bacon all the time

>If you asked a random guy in Western Europe or North America to name a single Russian dish
uhhhh
borscht?
what else
shit is chicken Kiev actually Russian?

it's delicious as fuck. totally my type of stuff

>all them dumplings
>dat zakuski
>kasha
>all dat fermented milk
>all dem pickles and brines
>fuckin pirozhki
>fuckin pastila

easily the coziest cuisine ever invented. mere thought of it titillates my winter-frozen palette. your cuisine is gr8 OP can't say enough good things about it. Sadly the only eastern european place near me is a polish market and deli two towns over. Fortunately polish cuisine is also one of my great loves.

Pelmeni, smoked fish and mayonnaise

No, Kiev is in Ukraine

Unfortunately the only two books about Russian food I know were not translated. Only peasants kept Russian culture in last 300 years so kinds true but I wouldn't call it bland. There are poor versions and rich versions of them.

Kvassed cabbage? It is like sauekraut but not boiled. Schi?

Why not? Milk wasn't a problem before 1929 so we used to have lots of it and it's products.

Poles actually still eat some dishes we lost like a century ago. They put cereal in their pelmeni, we don't do it for ages.

Chicken Kiev is a fork of a French dish created in a restaurant named 'Kiev' in the second half of the 19th century when people experimented with blending French and Russian cusines.

This. I know a few foods from the region like kvass, borscht, pelmini, syrniki, stroganoff, pirozhki, and blini, but I'm not sure if they're actually Russian or from nearby areas.

I think I would like Russian food though if I got the chance to try a lot of it out. Looking over the Russian cuisine wiki article, a lot of the dishes use my favorite vegetables, and I love sour cream.

>fermented milk
>pastila
Wow, you know this stuff, it's pretty cool.

>kvass, borscht, pelmini, syrniki, stroganoff, pirozhki, and blini
All Russian but it is tricky about borscht.
We had a soup called borscht in the Middle Ages but it was different. It had borschevik plant, the name came from it. But no beets. The one with beets most probably came from Ukraine. Poles also have their own version.

i love world cuisines and world cultures in general.
also have a slight fetish for russia
t. USA

I quite like borscht, solyanka, pelmeni, golubsi, red caviar buterbrot, and julienne, Moscowsksya salami is excellent. Shuba and vinaigrette are great too.

Kvass is good stuff same with duchess sofa.

Also lots of Eastern Europeans where I live in Toronto

I live in NorCal, and there's a sizeable Russian population here. I go to a couple of Russian markets regularly for the black bread, the deli items like salads and pickles, the fish, the cured meats and sausages, and the candy. There's some damn good chocolates. I love "Moscow style" salami and buterbroskinaya (not sure I spelled that right), and vinegret salad, hot borscht, half sour pickles, all kinds of good stuff.
I've only eaten at one local Russian restaurant, but the food was delicious.

What's that called, in the bottom right corner?
I live in an area that doesn't really have any russian food influences. And it looks cool.

I like it a lot, but don't get to eat it often and don't get to try too many of the unique dishes.

Look at the filename

I have eaten the cooking of ethnic Russians a few times, good stuff, good tea as well.

I used to make a Russian bread but a mouse turned the recipe into a nest, was quite found of that bread and have not managed to reproduce it quite right from memory. It was a nice dense sour rye with coarse black pepper and got its sour from a mix of the sour starter and vinegar. Only made it a few times before the mouse showed up.

Kvass and blinis are the only definite Russian foods I get to have, make blinis from time to time and kvass I can get at my co-op.

thanks to memes I know one

Haven’t really tried it except for some borscht I made once from a recipe I found online, though I think it was a Hungarian style. It was pretty good. I’m curious to know more but there are basically no Slavs of any kind in my area.

Where can an American like me find kvass?

I like all the cool drinks. Baikal is good.

Paskha is an Easter dessert (Pashka means Easter) made from fresh quark, butter, raisins and honey or sugar. The abbreviation ХB stands for 'Christ [has] Risen'.

Probably easier to make it yourself. If you'll find the base in your local Russian store, it is even easier. I can translate some recipes later.

Watch Life of Boris channel for some basic Slavic food.
youtube.com/watch?v=5UOowIxfX88
youtube.com/watch?v=uVUagOO_53g
youtube.com/watch?v=YO7AdLsUSec
youtube.com/watch?v=k1UTJKBMvgc

I binge watched this before, and rewatched it after.
Pretty good, I must say.

All I knos is that russians make a soup that looks as red as strawberry jelly and aparently you guys eat it on christmas

I am fond of savory cold soups. What besides borscht is a good cold soup that's very savory and traditionally Russian?

me 2 lel

It's not a Christmas dish.

Borsch is not cold. Only cold soups I know are okroshka and botvinya. They kontain sour kvass, might be too exotic.

You forgot kholodnik.

Sounds Polish. *** I googled it, it is Belarusian.

The amount of buckwheat and sour cream is too damn high.

t. Finn

lol same
the only reason I know borscht is because of Metal Gear Solid
>you're in a warehouse
>a 7 foot tall Alaskan Native with a minigun and a giant ammo backpack jumps down from the ceiling and wants to fight you
>call your buddies for advice
>your thickly-accented female Russian weapons expert tells you
>'He is holding an M61 Vulcan, it weighs 250 pounds without ammunition and it shoots 6,000 rounds per minute'
>'If you get in front of him he is going to turn you into borscht.'

I enjoy it overall but anything involving gelatin is fucking weird

Theres this russian chick at work who brings in russian biscuits or chocolate treats every now and then
Absolutely awful shit thats either way to sweet or way to grainy, like saw dust

The only actual "Russian" meal I've had was roasted duck with apples when I had dinner with a Russian family. It was amazing and I've never been able to recreate it

>too much sour cream
not possible

Pleb here.
Y'know, now that I think about it, I have literally never heard of any serious talk of Russian cuisine. It has zero cultural presence in the US, other than maybe a vague idea that Russians subsist on Borscht and vodka.

I wonder if its a cold war thing? Cuz we have pleb-level restaurants for Italian, Indian, five different types of Asian, Latin American, and English (i.e. pub food) and heavy cultural presence of German food, but we've got almost nothing Russian.

You could fill a book with all the random shit you learn from Metal Gear games.
Shit's practically edu-tainment.

>I wonder if its a cold war thing?
No, that's because you only got many Russian immigrants long after the Peter I's cultural reforms. Noble refugees then Soviets. Our nobility accepted Polish then Dutch/German then French culture, it didn't eat fancy Russian food from the past because it was basically banned in the royal court. A series of disasters in the 20th century damaged village which was the last bastion of traditional food culture so people forgot most of the dishes and switched to something else. Also Russian culture is kinds looked down because our educational system was created by the nobility.

I've made Pelmeni (if that's how you spell it) from a life of boris video, and there was an eastern european grocery store in my hometown so I tried some of the stuff over there. Other than that, honestly I don't really know that much.
I don't know much of the stuff in the pic you posted, either. Is the thing on the bottom right Halva?

>Have you tried anything?
I have a Russian friend who loves to cook. I got to try blini and a Russian potato salad. Not too traditional but was pretty good.

best ice cream

golubtchi, the best
chebureki, second best
sirinki
kompot
kotlet
kvass
pelmeni
halva

I like most of russian cuisine maybe because i'm slavic myself

as a northwestern mexifag, russian food is my favorite cuisine apart from italian since i grew up in basically mexican italy.
i've tried cooking blins and syrnik for my roomates and they loved them.
i also made "true" stroganoff wich turned out magical and i make it quite often.
black bread is also pretty nice, i toast it and have it with some oatmeal when i'm too lazy to cook a proper breakfast.
i've wanted to cook other dishes but i can't decide what to cook.
kotlets seem pretty good, i should try that.

oh and i replaced all soft drinks & tea with kompot and they fucking adore it.
i'm not sure if I should make kvass since idk if me or my roomates would like it.

Looks tasty senpai.

your sister is a dumb whore and fuck you too, buddy

What do you think of this cat?

I guess to some degree a lot of the traditional Jewish deli food are at least partly russian

i love cade and he made me miss my own
i let my stepmother keep him since all her other pets got old and died, and i live in a no-pets apartment complex now anyways

>sorry kit kat, now you're someone else's problem

every single time a woman owns a pet

Part of the problem with kvass making is that I have no idea how it's supposed to taste. Am I drinking kvass or botul-aid?

I made some rye sourdough starter. Is this recipe any good?
thefreshloaf.com/node/37222/borodinsky-supreme-old-school-100-rye

It's paskha .
>halva
I didn't want to be a "no it' not" poster but i'll correct what is traditional later just for the info purposes.

>Dovgan
Wow, this meme man from 90s still alive. Or his brand at least.

I'm not into Russian social networks so I've only seen it posted by foreigners.

True for Ashkenazi but they have their own stuff in Israel. Telnoye on my picture is called forschmack in their cuisine. Russians don't eat it anymore.

Legit question. But if you follow a simple recipe it will be easy to get the idea and make kvass sour and sweet enough fto your taste.

Looks like a very decent one, the texture is definitely good on this photo. But I'm not a fan of dry yeast. There is a standard recipe in Russian, I'm too lazy to translate it yet:
sourdough.ru/borodinski/

Anyone got any good recipes for buzhenina?

You idea of "cake" is not a fucking cake. Its just layers of pie dough and filling. Stop calling it cake.

While you're at stop baking a ton separate sheets of pie dough to make your not-cake, its wasteful and time consuming.

Fuck you, my stepmother had a cat and three dogs die of old age on her. She ASKED me if she could keep my cat. I didn't just dump him on her.

You wanna talk bitch moves, my mother adopted somebody's cat and then had me take it to the shelter for her after a year because it was some longhaired breed and she didn't want to deal with getting it shaved. Even if you brushed her every day her fur would still mat, and she was pissy about getting shaved so they had to knock her out at the vet, which made the whole thing a couple hundred bucks altogether

>cake
What do you mean? I need a Russian word to understand. English 'cake' means several dishes which have different names in Russian. Desu I have big problems with translation because we also call some processes differently and it leads to misunderstanding.

>But I'm not a fan of dry yeast
I already made sourdough starter with rye flour. I'll try to make borodinski. Thanks for the link. I don't have "coлoд pжaнoй фepмeнтиpoвaнный" but I can get rye malt for beer, so I'll use that instead.

this and its various bastard brethren

I have my kot exactly like that, but have no idea what the breed is.

Anyone know?

i like how japs are nervous about having food preferences

based, no bullshit Japan.

Looks like a honey tort a.k.a. 'Medovik'. The type is called cлoeный тopт - layered tort. Derived from French 'tarte'.

We have a pie with layers btw but it is even more complicated and bizzare. You make a big pie and fill it with different fillings separated by blinis. called 'kurnik'.

Neva Masquerade.

They have separate boards for different types of food.

board was called cuisine

The most common translation of "cake" to Russian is "тopт" and that's what we normally mean by it.

wtf is the banquet secretary trying to say there? I don't get it

Sap dvatch

I love pelmeni kurinye, kholodets, blini s ikra krasnaya i maslov, kvas, olivier, selyodka pod shuboi, schi, solyanka, pirozhki (kartoshka, kapusti, myasom), golubtsi, pashtet, kotlety (I'm Italian-Australian and we have the same thing called cotaletta) vodka tomatoes, barbaris candy, barni cakes, medovik, mantsy & plov which are more Asian russian than European Russian. Also like Ukrainian stuff like salo and vareniki and borsch with pampushki.

Things I dislike: Okroshka, pelmeni sibirskie, vinigret, selyodka by itself, dried catfish, salted cucumber, doktorskaya kolbasa.

Eaten Russian stuff at a few restaurants here in Melbourne and ate heaps of stuff when visiting Moscow. Also if you live there go to chaihona #1 and try the chai oblepikha, plov and charcoal grilled lamb strips.

Now that I answered your question, answer mine: What the hell happened at mayak a few weeks ago?

Also I fucking hate gretchka

My russian history professor made the seminar class I was in some russian food as an end of semester thing. Made summer borscht (I'm not overly fond of cold soup, so I wasn't sure how to feel about it, tasted good, just weird) some generic meat pie that every civilization on earth has created at some point, and some weird very low alcohol content soda thing.

That is about the extent of my knowledge of your cuisine though.

Well, it looks delicious. I don't know much about Russian cuisine, but do you have any go-to soup recipes that you'd be willing to share? It's soup weather out where I'm at, and I like trying new things.

Aside from borscht I have heard Russians eat lots of meat jelly, bread, cheese, fish and pickles. I hear the bread is black.

oh, didn't know about paskha, thanks user

Borsch isn't supposed to be cold, that's how it's normally done.
youtube.com/watch?v=-RjawJ8LImM

Pretty much true, pickles are one of the most common thing to eat while dirnking vodka and pickle water (?) (paccoл) is a traditional hangover cure. We also eat tons of pickled evrything, not just cucumbers.

In Romania we pickle a lot of green tomatoes, small watermelons, apples,and all kinds of fruits.

Russia must have astronomically high stomach cancer cases

>pickle water (?) (paccoл)
Brine. All our pickles are really based on lactofermentation, not pickling.

I live in Amsterdam, you can get all kinds of russian stuff here. But for me the blini's with salmon smetana cream and caviar is my favorite

I know a lot about it just because I've read the Wiki article for it and pretty much every other country on Earth. But also there is a huge farmer's market here (Atlanta, GA) hat has a huge Russian/Eastern European section. Tried a few things from there, pickles, pelmeni, cakes/candies, borscht, weird things the ladies there showed me but were still good. And I love kvass and kompot.

But that's the extent, never seen a Russian restaurant here.

I heard you have Teremok and in New-York.

I love pirogi/piroshki and in western Canada where I grew up, it was a staple due to all the Ukranian immigrants as well as mennonite Germans. The version we commonly ate was filled with quark cheese and bacon/onion and fried in bacon greese and served with sour cream. It was very common to see roadside food stalls selling them for cheap. Nothing like them in the middle of winter.

I also love drinking blackcurrant kissel and eating ukranian/russian style salads. Soviets truly know their salads.

Yeah but it's from water contaminated with caesium-137 and it's salts, and milk and vegetables contaminated with strontium-90 and caesium-137 not the pickled food.

Im confused, why do you dislike thoes foods? you have good taste for the other stuff. I havnt tryed all of them but everything looks tasty to me

I’m in Michigan and some local Russian church was having a festival where they served sausage, beer and vodka. It was all delicious

Was excited to see bottom right corner but kind of dissapoint to know it later that it's just cheese

Kek

bump

All I see are staged-photo food.

Show me what you got, Russki.