Redemption?

After last night’s failure, and seeing my creation in the food gore thread(yeah I saw that shit user), I’ve decided to redeem myself by cooking something decent. Also my diet really needs some vegetables in it right now because I’ve been eating whatever I can get in my mouth between shifts for the past week, usually fast food. So tonight I’m making some porkchops with potatoes, onions, and Brussels sprouts. To start off, I’m going to sear the chops and sprouts. The chops have been patted dry, hit with some s&p, and allowed to come up to room temp.

Greasing the skillet with some bacon fat for extra flavor

First one on.

First side looking good.

Olive oil in the baking dish awaiting her champions.

so far so good

Time skipped. All three are seared on each side. Now they will rest while I do the sprouts.

Using frozen because I’m pretty sure these are out of season. The fresh ones were expensive as hell and didn’t look too good at least.

These look okay. Added more bacon fat, hopefully they’ll get a good sear and not fall apart too much. Plus they’re picking up those nice porky brown bits.

Is this, dare I say, F L A V O R T O W N? Also I remembered my range hood has a light.

doing well, but i think that you cook on too low of heat. I would also recommend blanching and shocking the sprouts before browning them. but keep going, you're doing great

Do you have a cat? Wipe your damn stove top down.

It’s beginning to come together.

>Utter lack of sear
You fucked up again. Practice with one steak at a time so you stop cooking them like chicken breasts

Are oyu gonna sear those more later on?

No but my roommates have two. They like me tho.

Guess I just don’t know what a sear looks like. I thought that level of browning was about at a light sear.

Perhaps. I’ve burned enough things in the past that I’m a little tentative to go too high on the heat.

You*

This is basically the minimum for a steak sear colour-wise

Anyway, added red potatoes and yellow onions. I bake it all together in one dish for maximum convenience and flavor. Kind of a broke college kid meal but it’s comfy and relatively wholesome.

They’re gonna get a little more browned when I go to the oven in a sec.

Literally the first result off of Google images
See how you can't see any white? You want it to at least be light brown all over. Any white and you're way under.

When you're doing a pan sear and finishing in the oven (which is what I assume you did), you want your sear to look much closer to this. It helps keep the steaks nice and juicy without letting it all seep out while in the oven.

pork sears a bit different from beef
looks fine for a thin porkchop
Its easier to get a nice deep sear on a bigger peice of meat

I would roast the veggies by themselves
The chops look cooked enough
Add some oil or butter on the veggies too
Plz salt/pepper

Beef sears much better as it has fat that renders out a bit
pork is much harder to get a nice sear on it as its very lean for the most part

Hmm, well good thing these are porkchops and not steak

Spice time. Added sage, thyme, paprika, mustard powder, a smashed garlic clove, and more s&p.

Yeah I didn't even realize those were pork chops, I thought it was steak. They look fine for pork chops OP. Ignore my retardation.

Finally, added basalmic, Worcestershire, and about half a cup of beef stock. Going in to the oven at 350 until it’s done, I’m gonna use the potatoes as an indicator.

Ya i didnt read the whole post

Here we go.

You’re good my man. I appreciate criticism because it helps me improve.

Your porkchops will be overcooked but will taste fine
Dont sweat it we can fix this next time

Aren’t you the cunt that made that horrific abomination you called fish and chips?

I’m pretty okay with overcooked porkchops. They get tough but still taste good and hold most of their moisture, unlike chicken or turkey. But yes, I’m definitely seeing how this could be improved by doing the vegetables seperate. Perhaps they could be finished together, but not for as long as I’m going to have to bake it to get the vegetables done. Regardless, I’ll soon have a couple meals worth of food for tonight and the near future that beats the hell out of more Taco Bell.

I’m gonna call this done.

You need to add more oil to the vegetables

Forgot to use my name. But yeah I’m about to fuck this with my mouth. Got some homemade whole wheat bread and some rum to round out the meal.

You know what? It’s not even tough. Flavors pretty gud too. The sprouts are the best part though.

Not quite there OP, but youre getting better. Keep at it!

You are looking for a good crust, should be just a tad before it burns. You want to cook it almost entirely on one side, flip, and go just a few minutes more. Don't be afraid of high heat and try to not mess with it once it is in the pan. It won't get a good crust if you mess with it.