What is your opinion of the highlighted portion of knives?

What is your opinion of the highlighted portion of knives?

What is it's purpose?

How do you deal with them?

I don't know except all I know is that they are shit and they only serve to get in the way of sharpening. I just fixed one of my knives by grinding off that nub.

Didn't really think about it when I bought my first knife, but seriously regret it now.

Impedes sharpening, and doesn't even look as good. Serves no good purpose.

I use it to rest my finger on while I chop, found that it gives me more control

Daily chopping should be done with a Santoku because it fucking gives your fingers a break. Assholes who dedicate themselves to 'chef's knives' are 1960s assholes.

Looks like a safety thing. If the knife was sharp down the the bottom, its easier for your finger to slip and cut on the bottom-corner of the blade.

Don't know if that would be effective or not, but it is what it is.

I have cut myself on that fucking spot more than on any other part of the knife, I lub the safety nub

According to Wusthof, it is in fact a finger guard.
Personally, I don't like having a bolster at all.

Daily chopping should be done on an offset blade. Stop fucking around.

Pro here, Get a black Smith to grind it off I did and it makes for a better knife..

You still have to go 12 degrees further when you're dicing shit. Why bother? Comfort not a thing?

Safety guard to protect against accidents when used by an unskilled user, i.e., your average Wusthof customer.

Same reason why German knives are soft, and have huge bellies. Edge holding doesn't matter if the user is never going to sharpen it anyway (or will use it on steel countertops). So they are meant for rock chopping because that's the most effective way to still use a dull as fuck knife. And since abuse is inevitable, it's best to make them as soft as possible, out of steel chosen for its lack of corrosion when run through the dishwasher or left under a pile of dirty dishes for a week.

It makes me laugh to see people paying $150-200 for these things when you can get a somewhat better knife from Japan for about 1/3 the price, or a significantly better knife from Japan for the same price range.

weeb

Whether I'm a weeb or not, I'm still not wrong.

No one wants to deal with carbon steel. It rots in a second.

t. has never used a decent semi-stainless

it's not like the only options are X50CrMoV15 or SK4

none of my knives have that so I don't know

>Assholes who dedicate themselves to 'chef's knives' are 1960s assholes.

Pussy ass bitches need more than a chef's and serrated knife.

I have had my hands on a few well kept stainless Japanese knives. They are stupid sharp and hold an edge. They are delicate and don't hold up well when you work with retards. Personally I prefer a knife with a bit more weight to it.

I daily drive a Victorinox to pay the mortgage. Blows away the house dexters, yet I can leave it with tweedle dipshit and tweedle dumbshit at night.

man people say things they want to be true with eyes so closed if they think it will give them an opportunity to sound wise

japanese knives are like anything else they vary. there are twelve pound glestians thatll slice chives after breaking lobster. this is obviously not the norm but the perception that japanese knives are made out of glass is nonsense

said it once and i will say it again, because it is one hundred percent true
IF YOU ARE A COOK THAT DOES NOT USE JAPANESE KNIVES YOU ARE A COOK THAT WILL EVER BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

if you are the fucking fry guy at doggone hots you should have the sense of mind to keep your greasy mouth shut while the adults are talking

is this bait what fucking jimmy johns three ring binder bullshit is this i hate you

> but the perception that japanese knives are made out of glass is nonsense

I have seen far more chips on Japanese knifes in gentle daily use than German knives that have been abused.

>IF YOU ARE A COOK THAT DOES NOT USE JAPANESE KNIVES YOU ARE A COOK THAT WILL EVER BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

Every Japanese knife owner I have known has been a good cook in terms of creativity and skill. They have all sucked at dealing with volume. When you cook for a living getting the food up comes before anything. The best guys I have worked with make magic happen with the house knives.

Japanese knives are the apple products of knives.

It's a blood groove so it doesn't form a vacuum and your knife doesn't get stuck.

They are all made in China?

But I clean tons of shrimp so I have a small petty
I also shuck oysters so I gotta have the cheap durable paring knife for that
I also clean and filet lots of big fish so the deba is a must
I also have to clean ny strips and shoulder steaks daily so a filet knife is a lifesaver
I also have to have that cleaver to get through the bones on the ribeye roasts occasionally
I also use a chinese chef's knife whenever I gotta prep tons of vegetables really fast because it's easier to scoop with than a nakiri or my gyuto

I don't like santokus though. They are for knifelets to be honest. babby's first knife

It's a design holdover from how knives used to be forged.

They have had better process to not have to leave that huge bolster that goes all the way down the the blade for a while now, and both Wusthof and Zwilling use partial bolster to have the entire length of blade available to slice in their latest high-end lines (Wusthof Classic Ikon, Zwilling Pro).

>What is it's purpose?
Stops retards cutting themselves
>How do you deal with them?
Don't buy crap knives

Eh, just grind off the bolster as you sharpen it, ideally with a belt sander. Takes just a few seconds. Btw you can buy knives from Wüsthof that don't have the bolster, like the IKON series or the Le Cordon Bleu series. I have one of the last 26cm versions of the LCB Wüsthof ever made in my collection, now the biggest you can get is the 9''/23cm version.

When I was in high school and broke a can opener I the kitchen I watched our chef open a #10 up with the bolster on his knife

>santokus are good! chef knives are so last year!
>gyutos are good! santokus are so last year!
>yodebas are good! gyutos are so last year!
>kirituskes are good! yodebas are so last year!
>wagyutos are good! kiritsukes are so last year!
>funayukis are good! wagyutos are so last year!
you've been had, meme boy. funayuki is just another word for santoku
but I guess it says ping pong hayabusafujihokkaidosapporohentaiseppuku on the blade and not rachel ray this time so it's good

Or getting Gyuto that has stainless cladding with an AS core. Makes it more sexy

>clad
>secksy
nyet

bump

Shut up and use a fucking knife, you coddled idiots.

B E G O N E _ T H O T

post pictures of food you cook, mr. weeaboo man

you ever see that webm of that moron jack cutting his thumb by pressing into it
thats why this one is there
blame jack

Wusthof is a meme knife.

It's something you receive for father's day because your children saw you with a spatula once.

Is this english?

>You still have to go 12 degrees further when you're dicing shit

what did he mean by this?

harsh but true

>get a blacksmith to grind it off
what the fuck
Literally just use your angle grinder.
If you don't have one, it'll cost you 20 dollars and the disk you need will cost you 5.
You can just round out, profile or fix the edge there with the grinder or a file once you're done and it will be perfect. Several hours work tops.

Getting a blacksmith to do it will almost certainly cost you a lot more than that, for him to do pretty much the exact same thing.

>wasting hours and buying tools to make a bad knife into a mediocre knife
yeah or I could just buy japanese

it's to protect your hand dumbo

You would probably still pay less than that retard paid his local "blacksmith" to grind the bolster from his knife.

Underrated

>Several hours work tops.
that knife probably only took 20 minutes manual labor to complete, at best.

Wusthof is the Bose of cutlery

why are there so many weebs on this board

Complete garbage. Ruined my cypress cutting board, since the thick part sticks out if you sharpen it for a couple of years. Chopping is impossible

That's not a knife.

This is a knife.

It's tapered so you can stick it up your ass safely

just give it to me straight
what knife isn't a meme?

Uh, racist & sexist much?

blow it out your ass you homo faggot

>being so butthurt about being called a bigot all the time that you bring it up in gear threads

the sharp one.

>home sharpening
nigga what

Filthy nisei here.

I need to leave the house and go out on my own, and that means getting knives of my own.

I can get a chef's knife equivalent, some sort of santoka or gyuto, and a long pairing knife fairly easily.

What's harder to find is a a nakiri hocho, preferably single bevel, or something else that fills that role.

I suspect my parents knives are fucking spectacular, but since I'm a thick headed failure of a son, I'm not actually sure. They're carbon steel with octagonal handles.

Any suggestions on what's good?

Wow. 56 replies, and the best you mongoloid simpletons can come up with is "hurr durr, it's a bolster." It's a ricasso, for the love of God. It's for protection if it's on a sword, it's for looks, and possibly to speed up production, on a chef's knife. You can grind it off if you don't like it, but a file would do you just as well and be cheaper. Fucking mongs I tell you...

THe fuck are you on about? It's a dull spacer you can't cut yourself on, dipshit. You fucking kids love sounding smart but end up looking stupid.

Yo-debas, kiritsukes, and funayukis have always been niche and never mainstream even on knifefag forums.

Stop making shit up.

this is uninformed nonsense

i have worked in houses knocking down 450 cover brunches, volume means you need a good knife. japanese knives are better knives

'creativity in cooks' is the kind of dumb shit that comes from the mouth of someone who has only ever seen 'fine dining' on televison and even then still hasn't.

if you work in a restaurant with house knives it is a shitty restaurant.

Bolsters were originally used as a safety feature, but I sharpen the ones on my wursties and use them for splitting hard seafood like lobster. Otherwise pretty much a big pain in the arse.

am german, can confirm

I wouldn't use a carbon knife if cooking was my job but since I only cook at home I have the time to properly clean anyway

I have one like this but I regret the cladding, I'd rather have a beautiful patina all over desu

How do you guys sharpen your knives? I use an oilstone and I never have a problem with it.

For a task like this you could probably just buy a cheap angle grinder at harbor freight. They're only about $9 and for low intensity work they will be more than enough.

>How do you guys sharpen your knives?
I only use a 1k whestone to maintain, pretty happy so far

>folded up to 1 million times

I drag sharp ones backwards along the outside layer of onions to slice them without compromising the rings

Just grind down your bolster at the same pace at which your blade wears away from sharpening, retard

>ITT 4chin posters

The curve of the knife matches the path of your slice. That abrupt corner is the end of your slice, stopping your cut and preventing the knife from arcing back up.