Same food, Different name

Why does deconstructing (or rather half-assing) shepherds pie suddenly make this a different meal?
In fact, why does presentation make enough of a difference to classify dishes separate from each other? TexMex food does this a lot with tacos, nachos, and other shit.

I'm making shepherd's pie (the proper way) right now OP, what a coincidence.

Are you putting the correct veggies in it? Hint: there should only be three

No, Using onion and a medley that's 2/3 peas and carrots and 1/3 other

Four.
Onion, peas, carrots, corn.

WRONG

Corn goes in shepard's pie

I only do what this book tells me to.

Onions and carrots only, fuck peas and corn can stay on the outside as a side

This is correct. Peas and corn have no place in the gravy, its not a fucking pot-pie.

Also if its shepherd's pie it better be fucking lamb.

ONIONS CARROTS AND LEEKS YOU FUCKING INBREDS

leeks would replace the onions you mong, either are fine but leeks work better with lamb.

Is this a cooking board or a retard board? Leeks don't replace onions, that's like saying cauliflower could replace broccoli in a dish

Do you not understand that leeks and onions perform the same function, and that onions are much stronger in flavor than leeks?

Broccoli and cauliflower are not at all an equal comparison as neither affects the flavor of the other.

Peas and mash potato only.

retard board confirmed. fucking hell

>leeks work better with lamb.
What is Shepherd's Pie?

I'm not even him and you are retarded sorry. If you use leek then don't use onion.

I guess everybody's making it today.
I'm putting mushrooms in mine because I have some. Sue me.

This ended up pretty inauthentic. I have to clear out the fridge before visiting my mum for the holidays, so there's mushrooms and bacon in the mince and cheddar and gouda in the mash.

I've sometimes had these pies turn out too wet so this time I just collected most of the liquids and made a gravy with them. Poured it over the meat before putting the potatolid on it.

Ended up with two pies.

you can put whatever the fuck you want in it, and call it whatever you want, if you ask me. Also, sounds good user

Thanks!

Looks tasty user.

I know someone whose of Spanish that won't touch sausage but the second its called Chorizo its magically OK

>Also if its shepherd's pie it better be fucking lamb.
That's a modern distinction based on assumption because of the name, when really "shepherd'" is meant to evoke the sort of humble but hearty meal they might have. It's not going to be lamb but mutton but it could also be leftovers from one of the cheaper roasting cuts of beef. See Mrs Beeton's.