Homefries

I just made homefries from scratch for the first time, and they came out amazing!

It's so easy to do too! I can't believe I waited this long to make these on my own.

What would you suggest that I add to them? I was thinking next time I might dice up some peppers and onions and add them near the end before it's finished.

Pic related, it's the homefries I made about an hour ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/71803/quick-and-easy-home-fries/
seriouseats.com/2014/09/does-mixing-oil-and-butter-really-alter-the-smoke-point.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What the fuck is that?

homefries, close up shot from my cell phone.

They were fucking crispy and delicious. :-D

gj op.

T-those are potatos?

They look tasty op
did you parboil them? and what spices did you use?

I want several ways of cooking potatoes this being one of them another would be wedges and another would be flimsy greasy fries

thats awesome. Great captcha!

Yes they are. Cubed up, thrown in oil with butter, and I added some spices paprika, ground pepper, and kosher salt. I had this garlic and herb spice I added to it as well that gave it a really lovely flavor.

>parboil
I'm going to try this method next time and then use my cast iron skillet to finish them off. I used Paprika, Ground Pepper, Kosher Salt, This McCormick Garlic and Herb Spice, oh and cayenne pepper. Which I forgot to mention in my last post.

And thank you they were amazing! Can't wait for my friends and girlfriend to try them next time I make them. I'm trying to perfect simple, awesome breakfast.

Oh but sorry I forgot to mention that I kept them in a pan with the oil and butter and let them sit for a little while before stirring them a bit.

Y-you mixed oil and butter?

Potatoes are so great! There are so many great ways to cut them for people to enjoy :-)

Yeah the recipe I saw didnt mention oil, but it was recommended in the comment section. I just kind of threw some butter on top and mixed it around the potatoes before it completely liquified.

Mixing oil and butter makes mustard gas, you got very lucky to even survive that.

recipe?

I second this. Try and post the recipe and include the shit you added as accurately as you can. I love some good homefries. Fuck the haters.

dont you mean breakfast potatoes?

Thanks!

I basically used this recipe but used oil and butter instead of just butter like it says here

allrecipes.com/recipe/71803/quick-and-easy-home-fries/

However I stirred/flipped them a bit more than it says to but the crispness happens when you just let it sit for about five minutes at a time. I kept tasting them until I reached the desired level of crispness. Before covering it the first time I made sure to add paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, garlic and herb spice from mccorcmick, freshly ground pepper, and kosher salt. Once they were crispy and done I scooped them out from the oil, which by the end there wasnt much of. I dont know how much oil i used exactly but it was just enough to barely cover the cubed potatoes at first.

thanks user, these look like some yummy ones i just wanted to see what OP did :)

Am I the only one that calls this "fried potatoes?" Fucking delicious. Throw some sliced sausage in there, bro.

thank you! i will try it and if the thread is still up i'll post results. your pic looks delicious to me (i might put some maple smoked cheddar on top tho)

Looks good user. I've got a few potatoes that I need to use up. Think I'll make these when I get up in about 12 hours. Thanks for the inspiration

Thank you so much! This makes me very happy to hear! Id love to see how yours comes out!

you're welcome user

Sliced sausages sounds like a great idea that ill have to try sometime. Thank you!

Im so happy to be able to inspire you! I was thinking today about this one breakfast place and how much I love it there, but what I get is always simple cheap stuff like scrambled eggs, homefries, and bacon. I figured I could probably make the homefries better myself, so I decided to try making it for myself tonight! I'm glad I tried it!

I’ve always just called them hashbrowns. Only ever heard them called “home fries” on the internet, so I guess it’s a regional thing.

Hahah, thank you for your concern. Ive been posting here on and off for about a year now. Other boards even longer. I like this board because I don't always have to be my shitposty self.

Talking about food with other people gets me genuinely excited, and honestly I expected more people shit talking this, so the response is a very pleasant surprise!

They look good but the effort to enjoyment ratio isn't worth it

It could be a regional thing, however hash browns tend to be more shredded up. Pic related is more or less what I get when I ask for hashbrowns somewhere.

Whenever I go out to eat somewhere new for breakfast I always hope that the hashbrowns and or home fries are crispy and not soggy. Sometimes its a toss up depending where you go or how busy they are.

It seemed worth it to me. I mean the most effort I put into it was cubing them up, and that didn't take long. I had all of the spices near me in the cubbard up above. For many people who want to make something quick in 10 minutes or less, I'd agree maybe not. However I could probably impress a whole buttload of people with these the next time I make breakfast for others. They're really good without any sauce needed.

Yeah, I also call those hashbrowns, just a different style of them. The kind you call homefries I might attatch the prefix home-made to if I’m trying to differentiate them though. “Homefries” just sounds weird to me. Oh well, I think we can all agree on calling them “delicious”. I like to do mine in rendered bacon fat and maybe with a little chipotle chili powder for a more smokey flavor.

ooh chipotle chilli powder sounds awesome! I'm probably going to try the bacon fat next chance I get, I was reading that it makes their flavor really great!

>oven baked potatoes
>calling them “home fries”
How to spot Americans.

Fried potatoes guy here. I also call those hashbrowns. Fried potatoes to me are diced and done in a skillet. French fries are cut and done completely submerged in oil. I just fucking love potatoes but I actually don't like hashbrowns. Texture I assume.

This picture is extremely unsettling.

yeah the texture is weird to me. Whenever I have them at a breakfast place that i'm at I usually have them add peppers and onions to it and I like to mix it in with my eggs. Otherwise they aren't my favorite alone.

They're fried in a skillet or wok, buddy. At least that's how I do it.

They aren't made in the oven though. Google Home fries and you'll find something similar.

It is interesting that the name seems to be different depending on what region or country you're in.

they look a lot freakier blown up on a big computer screen, I'll give you that. But trust they were crispy and delicious.

It's like the whole pop/soda/coke thing. Back when I was a kid this was an area where everyone called every soda coke. Fun times. Fun thread. Thanks for helping pass the miserable times and making me want to cook. I just bought potatoes and sausage the other day for it but I was too lazy.

This thread certainly went a lot better than I expected.

Cooking is probably one of the most rewarding things you can do, if you're not bringing joy to others while doing it, you're at least experimenting and bringing joy to yourself. Especially if what you cook ends up being good. A lot of the best shit to cook is super simple too, as i'm just realizing.

Goddamn, I love you Veeky Forums

that cannot possibly be true

it's not because it's not uncommon to mix the two.

seriouseats.com/2014/09/does-mixing-oil-and-butter-really-alter-the-smoke-point.html

Obviously not. But it's an, hmm, unconventional combination, let's say.

Crispiness, if you're using a frypan (as it should be, rather than deepfry which isn't very healthy btw) can be easily obtained by "frying them twice": remove them from the pan when they're done, let them rest a minute, put them in again for another minute.

A little garlic, a little diced green onion, maybe some roasted peppers, a little cilantro. Maybe some goat cheese and bacon.

Onions are delicious in them, diced bell pepper would go well. I usually would just sprinkle a little salt and have them aside some egg when my dad used to make them for me. He called them raw fries and sliced the potato rather than dicing but otherwise, same exact thing.

Look up Great Depression Cooking (with Clara) on YouTube. She makes this with hot dogs and a couple spoons of pasta sauce and calls it “poor man’s meal”

Yeah im going to try this next time, seems healthier

Are you male or female?

All great suggestions that im going to keep in mind next time I make these. Thank you!

I'm going to check the channel out tomorrow next YouTube session, thanks! I love youtube for inspiration. Ive mostly been watching bbq channels like ballisticbbq lately so this will be a nice change.

I've once poured some butter that I cooked pork chops in with it. It was interesting to say the least. I love meaty tasting potatoes.

rosemary, salt, and pepper is all the seasoning you need

OP seems very excited about discovering that you can fry potatoes

26 year old straight male

Hey you're me.

Hahah yes I always knew and have done it in the past for other things but I just realized one of the things I like most at a restaurant I get breakfast at can be made even better at home by me. I know obvious but still exciting. It came out spiced just right too. Usually I fuck something up the first time I try to make something too, but it came out just right the first time.

Hi me! Are you also browsing on your phone in bed while watching south park on Hulu? Hopefully this thread is still here when I wake up.

I got tired of having to get up to adjust shit. Instead of getting a wireless mouse I just put my recliner in front of my computer and I sleep there. So in a sense I am also in bed. I hope you have sweet dreams of taters.

pls kill yourselves as soon as possible

Hopefully you don't wake up at all. Loser

Will you join me? I don't want to go alone, user.

I really hate it when you cubed it small like that, but I really like it when you cubed it just right at bite sized and grilled with garlic butter and rosemary.

>Talking about food with other people gets me genuinely excited
same, im a skinny fucker but i love cooking and eating yummy shit. thanks for the thread and the recipe

Cause it has retained some of the aroma of the pork chop. But seems to me like adding the butter to heated oil will have it evaporating pretty fast, unless you throw in the butter and the potatoes when the oil is still mild but then again the potatoes would be absorbing too much fat for my liking.

I think I'd do it separately. Fry the potatoes normally in oil, let them sweat the oil, and in a separate pan cook in butter some thick bacon f.i and it's almost done throw in some sliced green pepper, the potatoes and some spices of choice for a final touch.

I just love pork chop butter. Throw that shit on mashed potatoes and I'm in a buttery bliss

Top quality bait.

3 Michelin stars

You sound upset. Who hurt you?

You're welcome!

you've never seen home fries before, bro?

Next time, fry a pound of thick cut applewood smoked bacon til crispy (over medium heat only) then remove bacon, add your potatoes, a after ten minutes, add a diced onion... enjoy.

I'm assuming you're uncomfortable with cooking meat because I was in your shoes at one point. Put literally any sausage in with it, in addition to the peppers and onions. Kielbasa/Summer sausage is great especially the bits that get a bit overfried.

Hells yeah! That sounds amazing. Im doing this next time for sure. Thank you! I figured it probably wouldn't be a good idea to add the onion until the end so it make sense to do it ten minutes after. I love cooking meat actually. I mostly cook with meat, this time I decided to just focus on the potatoes. Adding meat to it sounds rad.

*golf clap*

Instead of parboiling them you can nuke them for like 3 minutes.

>not frying them in bacon grease
>not adding chopped bacon to your potatoes
>not adding sweet yellow onion
4/10, apply yourself

Lol seriously? This is one of the lowest effort recipes I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing you plan on having a McChicken for dinner.

Garlic powder

why do people keep coming to this board and doing this? This is like making a I-V-vi-IV chord progression adding a basic drum loop and posting a thread about it on /mu/. This is like posting a thread where you drew some cubes on /ic/. Hell, this is like posting an origami crane on /po/. You suck. You don't get a thread.

Try slicing sweet potatoes thinly, like a quarter inch max, and fry them in oil on each side until crispy. Add paprika and sour cream. Pretty fast desu senpai

What else would they be?

>chopping up a potato and throwing it into a pan with some oil and spices is too much effort

The absolute state of this user.

You sound butthurt. I do get a thread. This thread has been pretty comfy.

S-sorry senpai

faggot
fuck the faggot haters - cook something else now that you've been inspired by all the (You)s.

>33 posters
>82 replies

hmm

>You sound butthurt.

Literally the secret ingredient of Veeky Forums.

they look horrible, like i prolly wouldn't even taste them. what did you do to them?

>fried potato with seasoning
>2/10 would not eat

lmao yeah okay fatso whatever you say.

Autism

have you never sautéed mushrooms?

For future experiments:

>honey, pineapple, cranberry, gin, marjoram, pine needle, and sage marinated pork belly (7-12'ish hours or so)
>slow roast oink belly
>slice oink belly, fold in to taters with garlic, ginger, and chives
>pop everything in oven on low-mid heat with lid for a short while
>coleslaw and biscuits side

Additionally:

Potato and leek soup appetizer course, with a sweet potato pie dessert course.

>>honey, pineapple, cranberry, gin, marjoram

Sweetfags were a mistake...

You know you love it, Baka-Senpai!

wait, so because i don't like those raped and greasy potatoes i'm somehow fat?
great logic

More like because you're trying to hard to pretend you don't.

*too hard

That looks like fucking shit

>95 replies
>37 posters

I don't think OP is capable of all that

They go great with hot sauce.

Looks interesting user, I've never seen them that small before.

I made some recently trying chef John's microwave method. I think they turned out pretty good. Don't think I've made them before this.