I just started using salted butter in my cooking and it's delicious...

I just started using salted butter in my cooking and it's delicious. Salted butter is good on almost every bread or breakfast food, too.

Give me one good reason why I should stop using salted butter.

>inb4 unsalted is better because it's more likely to be fresh

If you bake it's easier to know how much salt to add to the recipe since you don't have read the butter package. But that's only if you are using a large amount of butter.

Some people need to limit their intake of salt, but if it works for you, that's fine.
I recommend clarifying your butter, it makes it taste really good and it doesn't burn as fast when you cook with it. You can also brown the solids and add it back into your food for browned butter flavor.

it's about 1.5%

I use salted whipped butter as a spread.
Unsalted for everything else.

The difference between salted and unsalted butter is usually about 1/4 teaspoon per 4oz stick.

I see no reason to try to convince you to not use salted butter in your cooking if you like it, even in baking 1/4 teaspoon of extra salt isn't going to ruin the vast majority of recipes. However I also see no reason to consume extra salt, so personally I switched to buying unsalted butter and adding salt when and where I see fit.

I use salted butter for pretty much everything unless its something very specific where I need unsalted.

>However I also see no reason to consume extra salt
Sucks being on dialysis doesn't it granpa.

Salted butter lasts longer and is less expensive, so after my unsalted stuff runs out I'm going to go back to it, even for baking.

>is less expensive
So they are adding salt to it but charging less, really makes you think doesn't it?

>granpa
ZING! Nice burn user! lol

There's less of a demand for unsalted and it also spoils quicker. The mark-up in price does make sense.

Around here the price is the same, for the same brand, salted Vs. unsalted.

>really makes you think doesn't it?
Only makes me think that salt is cheap enough to be insignificant in the profit margins.

The opposite happened for me, I used to cook all sorts of things using salted butter, like fish, broccoli, cauliflower, pancakes, carrot cream etc

The difference in taste is huge in food like fish or pancakes, the salted butter makes it unpalatable because you can only add a small amount of butter, otherwise your food ends up too salty.

So you end up with food that doesn't really have a highlight of butter OR salt

Get some tasting buds faggot

>the salted butter makes it unpalatable
What shit butter are you using? Are you sure you're not using cheese, user?

>store buys equal amounts of unsalted and salted predicting all of it will be sold before it goes bad
>unsalted goes bad, and they have to toss all of it
>salted is still good for a longer time, and all of it is sold

it's cheaper because it's less risk

I've tried different salted brands over the years, and they all had that foul, excessive salt touch to them, the unsalted versions of the same salted brand are actually really good, the only difference is in the salt. I've been cooking for ~6 years, and I found out about unsalted butter about 1 year ago, so, I can tell the difference between the two quite well, the brand is not the issue here.

It is very easy to spot on fish, pancakes, broccoli/cauliflower, and scrambled eggs

>nd they all had that foul, excessive salt touch to them
I'm sure you think this, but salt is good. Why do you think all those Michelin starred restaurants finish everything with fluer de sel

So you're happy buying old stock butter?

>but salt is good.
In moderation.

>Why do you think all those Michelin starred restaurants finish everything with fluer de sel
It isn't like they just pour it on, food benefits from salt, no question. But too much salt is just as bad tasting as not enough. Too much and not enough, being purely subjective of course.

I do like salt, I just don't like my food to be extra salty, so, I prefer to add the salt separately so I can control the taste.

With salted butter, as I said before, you can't strike a balance between the flavor of butter and the salt easily, because if you add too much butter, the butter evaporates and the salt remains in the food, you can only control how much salt your dish has by limiting the amount of butter at the tradeoff of preventing the food from having a real highlight of butter or salt.

It's a mess, the patrician's choice is to add unsalted butter to your food, and then control how much salt goes into it separately, there is little point in using salted butter other than laziness

>he doesn't know how to season to taste.
>he thinks butter "evaporates"
>he thinks a pat of butter contains a lot of salt.

I guess you never garnish your food with anything salted then, like brined/pickled foods.

We don't have this here.
Is the salted variety at least more expensive?

>least more expensive?
Why would it be? Is salt expensive where you live?

no but it's an extra step during production

Na, bro. We have automation here in the first world. We've figured out how to design food processing plants to add salt to butter since the 1930's. We don't have to churn butter on the porch.

>>he doesn't know how to season to taste.
What makes you think so? It is you who uses premixed salt/butter in your food
>>he thinks butter "evaporates"
On a second thought, it shouldn't because it's animal fat mostly, I got that impression because it thickens when it's cooking, it probably has water or something else added.
>>he thinks a pat of butter contains a lot of salt.
If I want to cook a 200 gr. fish I have to add a couple of spoons of butter, that's enough to make it too salty for me, if I don't add salt, the food simply doesn't taste the same, compared to cooking a fish with some thyme, pepper, salt, and unsalted butter. Believe me I've tried it, it's difficult to control the amount of salt food has when you add salted butter.
>I guess you never garnish your food with anything salted then, like brined/pickled foods.
I don't eat brined/pickled foods, but not because of the salt. I usually add sides to my food like boiled rice with veggies, fried cauliflower/broccoli with garlic and butter, mashed beans, mashed potatoes, etc. I add salt to all of them.

What's wrong with controlling the salt that goes into your food separately?

>What's wrong with controlling the salt that goes into your food separately?
Because the amount of salt that is added to salt isn't perceivable, it only enhances the buttery taste. You remind of the people that can "perceive" wifi and cell phone signals.

i think he mixed up butter and soy

>it isn't perceivable
>yet people like the OP and you are making a big deal about using salted butter because it changes the flavor
Nice doublethink. And yes, it is perceivable, you can try a slice of bread with salted vs unsalted butter and the salt taste can be perceived, although it depends on how much you add to it. I did this when I found out about unsalted butter. Comparing taste buds TASTING stuff to the human body detecting electromagnetic signals is retarded.

Furthermore, the amount of salt being added can vary from brand to brand.

Salted butter is normal butter. So if a normal recipe calls for butter, you use normal butter. (New age, healthy living magazine recipes may call for a specific butter, but normal classic cooking relies on the butter being salted).

>And yes, it is perceivable,
No, you're not getting it. It's not perceived as salty.
learn a bit about seasoning food and you'll understand fully what we are talking about. If you taste salt then it's overseasoned, don't overseason your food and stop blaming butter for your faults.

>using butter as a garnish
>cooking

pick one

>isn't perceivable
>it only enhances the buttery taste
pick one and only one.

Also why are you so strenuous in your argument for salted butter? There is literally no harm that comes from using unsalted butter and adding the amount of salt (great or small) that you choose.
You aren't going for the "it's better because it lasts longer" claim, you just seem angry that people would dare use butter without salt, it is perplexing. If you are baiting you got me, but if so don't you have better things to do than troll butter?

>garnishing
>cooking

pick one

>pick one and only one.
No. If you understood what I typed then you'd know. Butter with salt doesn't taste like salt it tastes buttery.

You don't know what a garnish is. Keep watching youtube for your culinary education and you might stumble across someone who does.

Yes it is perceivable, I just gave you an example earlier about me cooking fish with salted vs unsalted, even when I don't add salt to the two spoonfuls of salted butter, it comes out as unpalatably salty. Nowadays I make the same recipe with the same proportions using unsalted butter and add salt separately, it ends up tasting a lot better.

Even when you're baking something, if you use salted butter in a recipe that calls for unsalted, you end up with a salty mess, you can even find examples of people doing this online and ending up with shitty results.

You either don't have functional taste buds or you're trolling, your allotment of (you)'s is over the limit.

>Salted butter is normal butter. So if a normal recipe calls for butter, you use normal butter.
But as says the amount of salt added to varying brands of butter varies, there is no codified salt in salted butter standard. Meaning the saltiness of the resulting dish is going to vary and will need to be adjusted to your taste regardless. Since it is impossible to take salt out, why not start with no added salt and add the amount you think is correct. Are you cooking or just following a recipe like a robot, user?

Salt is cheap as dirt unlike butter, ergo when you buy salted butter you are paying for filler.

>Butter with salt doesn't taste like salt it tastes buttery.
That is a subjective statement, you may not find it salty, the other user say he does. And still that doesn't help you, because even subjectively it is a perceivable change in taste.
But you still have not answered why you have such a disdain for unsalted butter and choice.

>why you have such a disdain for unsalted butter and choice.
I don't, I have a disdain for people who think they are "supertasters".
I bet if you put him/her in front of a tasting panel he would fail at finding the unsalted butter outside of statistical probability.

>when you buy salted butter you are paying for filler
That is one way to look at it. Though it is a very small amount of salt. I see it as I don't buy pre-seasoned steaks, or pre-mixed BBQ sauce, why should I let someone else decide how much salt is in my butter?
Unsalted butter is more versatile, since you can always add salt if you need it, but you can't take the salt out of salted butter, if you needed to for some reason.

>I bet if you put him/her in front of a tasting panel he would fail at finding the unsalted butter outside of statistical probability.
I have no clue how sensitive that Anons' taste buds are. But as you yourself said salted butter does have a different taste to it than unsalted butter. I'd bet that most of the people here could probably tell the difference on something neutral like a water cracker or a buttered slice of bread, but maybe not in a finished dish.

Also, because of the higher salt content, salted butter also contains more water. Not really an issue...even if your baking, but it's still a difference .

It cost less because it keeps longer.

The incidence of butter going bad because it isn't salted is a risk-cost that gets passed to the customer.

agreed but would say that saltet butter is less likely to taste rancid