Hey cu/ck/s can I get a hummus appreciation thread?

Hey cu/ck/s can I get a hummus appreciation thread?

In recent years I've grown quite fond of this chickpea paste.

Any green text or recipes welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=14aZbjs0mIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

its good in a sandwich or a falafel pita bread

I make it every few days so I never run out, I eat it for breakfast on a bagel pretty much everyday

Heres how I like it
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, cooked
~2 tablespoon tahini
~2 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon of cumin
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 lemon juiced
1/4 cup water

food processor 5 minutes, scrape sides half way through

I have hummus on toast with breakfast sometimes. Very filling.

I hate when it has worthless oil on top. Shit is nearly flavorless and adds nutrient-free calories. I prefer to not have any extracted oil in the hummus. I only buy it instead of making it when I'm traveling and need it to not be fizzy two days later. There's a local company that makes it pretty good. I like it with my homemade unsalted whole wheat bread :-)

I don't have an exact recipe, I adjust to taste every time I make it

I use
chickpeas
tahini
good olive oil
garlic
salt
lemon juice

if you want a lighter version or a smoother version you can add greek yoghurt it works very well

I like to eat it as a dip with crisps

this, but i sometimes mix it up with a bit of paprika or chili

I prefer these proportions:

1-1/4 cup dry chickpeas, soaked, cooked
4 tbsp tahini
10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Juice and zest of 1 lime
7/8 to 1 cup water

You dont like the feeling of having an oily mouth and lips bro?

Grocery store hummus is often made with synthetic citric acid an instead of lemon juice, and inferior oils, so always check the ingredients. I rarely buy even one item with more than one ingredient :-)

Bro tips:
Cook the chickpeas with some onion and garlic to give the hummus a nice aroma. The garlic may even go into the hummus instead of raw garlic. Root vegetables also work, basically anything that would work in a vegetable stock.
Chemicals can help you - baking soda makes the chickpeas cook quicker, and citric acid can let you dial in the sourness without diluting the hummus or making it too lemony.
Reserve some cooking liquid when straining your chickpeas, and use it to thin out the hummus instead of resorting to plain water.

Adding roasted red peppers = 10/10

You should buy some dried green chickpeas (green chickpeas are just immature chickpeas picked while they're still small and green) and make some hummus with those. It's delicious and a slightly different, brighter flavor than mature chickpeas, and goes really well with lots of green herbs like parsley, chives, and even basil or cilantro, or a drizzle of pesto on top. A few weeks ago, I made green chickpea hummus and added a parsley-basil pesto with pistachios and sumac on top. Delicious.

That's a soup recipe, surely?

I use it as a replacement for butter on bread

You eat hummus with bread? NO WAY!!!

love it

how do I make bread for it though? local greek restaurant serves mini pitas and they're delicious

Garlic ruins hummus for me, I like garlic but the other flavors or so subtle I think it overpowers them a bit

IT'S NOT HUMMUS WITHOUT GARLIC

It's a very smooth hummus

>Hey cu/ck/s can I get a hummus appreciation thread?

I don't care for hummus but I could eat a 5gal bucket of garlic Toum.

Virgin tzatziki vs Chad toum

Super shitty macros. Better not eat it with anything with less protein by volume than wheat.

It's plant based garlic butter?

>not using garlic

Why do you guys destroy the hummus?

youtube.com/watch?v=14aZbjs0mIY

>garlic Toum

Literally just Aioli. Why not just call it Aioli?

inb4 some faggot says that Aioli is with egg.

How do you feel about lemon garlic tahini without chickpeas?

>be me
>eating hummus
mm yummy!!!!!

True hummus fans may also appreciate the other patrician dips of the middle east, baba ghannouj (smoked/grilled eggplant and garlic) and muhammara (roasted red pepper and pomegranate)

>implying somebody who would eat a "bucket" of something gives a fuck about macros

I don't know what this was called but it was covered in hummus.

is hummus savory?

asking for a friend

This

>eat hummus every other day
>start to get tired of it
>decide to add hot sauce to each bite
>it's suddenly fucking amazing again

Who else here /saucy hummus/? What's your sauce of choice?

Harissa.

>20 tbsp chickpeas
>4 tbsp tahini
>10 tbsp oil
Holy fuck.

In case you've never seen Ottolenghi's hummus proportions

I love sandwiches with hummus. My go-to for work used to be hummus, ham, spinach and a bit of sriracha.

That parsely-basil hummus sounds incredible, user! Definitely adding that to my list of things to make.

Yeah, with a bit of a bite to it. If you've never had it, try it at a restaurant and/or make it yourself. It's fucking awesome for dipping vegetables, pita bread, pita crackers, on sandwiches, eating with a spoon while drunk, etc.

Never heard of her. Is she hot?

Tahini is expensive as fuck where I live, and storebought hummus is rare and shitty. So I found a recipe for a slightly different kind of paste. Basically hummus, but replace chick peas with green peas, and instead of tahini you put in loads of avocado. I like to use a lot of ground black pepper and cumin as well. It's somewhat fresher tasting than hummus, but it lacks something. A nice change anyways.

How2make tahin

Ingredients:
1. 250 grammes (1 cup) of (white) sesame seeds
2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sesame Oil, Walnut Oil, or Sunflower Oil (I use Sesame), around 2-3 tablespoons

Method:
1. Dry roast sesame seeds for ~5 minutes so they brown a little bit and release their flavours and scents
2. Put sesame seeds in food processor and blend with oil until you reach a thick but spreadable consistency.

Wa La

Tried to make it once but the seeds keep staying under the blade and not grinding, what to do?

No offence but store bought in the US is pretty bad. Hummus is supposed to be smooth and creamy not grainy and shitty. Usually served with pickles and pita bread, not carrots and celery. Do better Americans.

Pulse and fuck around with a spoon.
Or pestle and mortar.

Hummus goes well with toum (garlic sauce) on sandwiches, falafel, shawarma, etc.

Hummus:
- mostly chickpeas
- tahini (sesame paste)
- garlic
- lemon juice
- cumin
- salt

Toum:
-garlic
-lemon juice
-vegetable oil
-salt

Pulse handful of garlic in food processor, and then set to lowest setting. Slowly drip veggie oil and lemon juice (alternate between the two ingredients every 20 seconds until you achieve your desired consistency). Note: You’ll be using MUCH more veggie oil than lemon juice, so it’s fine to add more veggie oil at a time.

>cu/ck/s
i'd really appreciate if you stopped doing this. thanks.