Is this real life?

Is this real life?
youtu.be/FjN546QGSMA

Is this the equivalent to the culinary modern art? I really don’t understand this one guys, what is happening.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LhKQ4GtxYUs
youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg
youtube.com/watch?v=hG6U9WAdppo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

he's gotten too big for his britches and his head got stuck too far up his ass because of the hype

but if you really consider it, the skill of a cook could probably be measured by how good they can make shitty ingredients taste so it's like a challenge or something to him idk

He cooked a year old carrot for 2 hours, of course it will taste “unique” but Jesus it’s hardly innovative

>is the pinnacle of culinary art the equivalent to modern art
no, it is modern art you unironically uncultured retard
it's a full-rounded experience rather than simple flavours, this is the culinary elevated to the point of being more than just food

Please get your head out of your ass

>anything related to anything to do with art in any form
>ugh pretentious.. how far up there is your head.. i can't believe the entirety of the population enjoys this.. not me though, i'm very special and unique
the thing for you to take from this post is that you are not special or unique, faggot

>tfw you will never test the limits of how much you can get retards to pay for a nasty ass carrot and lawn clippings
Feels bad tbqh

Wow really not true at all I can appreciate a lot of art forms and the like as well as dating cuisine, but this is an old fucking carrot

youtube.com/watch?v=LhKQ4GtxYUs
>I like the fact that the pot is hot, the guests almost burn themselves when they lift it

>elevated to the point of being more than just food
retard alert. food is always going to be food. just because that food has 10000 annotations and strings attached doesn't mean it isn't about the food. it's called a restaurant.

also you're literally defending someone serving subpar produce. think about that for a second and realize that literally no other top rated restaurant would do this. he's selling a story

>serves rotten carrot covered in weeds
>that'll be 500 dollars

>of course it will taste “unique” but Jesus it’s hardly innovative

but it is innovative. most people would not consider a carrot that was in the ground for a year to be food. this guy not only proved that it is still edible food, but he showcased how to make it taste delicious and contrasted it with fresh herbs.

You should seriously go stick your head in an oven and then kill yourself in there.

>someone serving subpar produce
>subpar produce
>subpar

but whether or not that carrot is at its peak is a subjective question. Maybe you should think about that for a second and question your frame of reference.

He's not just selling a story, he's selling a challenge to the status quo. That is art.

How about I change the status quo of your continued existence you sack of shit?

On how many levels of irony do you need to be to question an established restaurant on Veeky Forums?
They employ a guy whose sole job is to experiment with different ingredients to find out what works and what doesnt, theres thousands of experiments thrown out and apparently that recipe is so good it stands above all of the failures.

i mean its not that crazy. its still a carrot, still food. its just that its old and of wild variety so probablly taste at least good if not interesting.

of course anybody can do this, but did you do it first?
I'd be willing tot ry

Look at all this goyim defending his master.Uhh yeah how much portion of his semen do you chug everyday?
Noma and these restaurants are the downfall of michelin and culinary art, fuck them.

So this is the power of Danish cuisine

But chefs are supposed to experiment with food... It's not "pretentious", it's literally their job to try to discover new flavors by doing shit like Noma does. I feel like people who complain about this shit are the same who order chicken parm at every restaurant.

>we saute for 2 hours in goats butter
>toss in some goats butter
>add some warm goats butter
>tastes like a freshly mowed lawn smells

Gotta pay top dollar for that freshly mowed lawn taste

You're defending old carrots and that freshly mowed lawn taste. I'm not against trying new things but at some point you have to draw the line between experimenting and just pretentiousness that's evolved into stupidity.

>not understanding the concept of experience
HOW DARE YOU!!! YOU BIGOT NOUVELLE COUSINE FAG!!!

they guy earn insane money doing exactly this kind of retarded shit, hes catering to the people visiting his restaurant, when he started out it wasnt this retarded.
He revived old scandinavian techniques and ingridients and made them modern, he was THE SHIT for a few years.
Now he kinda lost it and just fucks around, its moe about the story he tells with his dish or how he came up with it instead of the taste.

Still, an amazing chef.

>is a subjective question
no, not really. the way carrots are grown and when they are picked is pretty much universal by now. no one is going to value those old carrots which were explicitly said not to have been able to be sold, aside from noma of course. but then again he lost his place at the top.
>he's selling a challenge to the status quo
he hasn't argued anything or given any reason why we should value that shit carrot over normal ones. there has been no affect at all. this is nothing revolutionary. this is art, but art penetrating into the restaurant industry is exactly the shit that's killing it. it's playing with the food on the plate to make a pretty picture, but ignoring the actual taste and eating experience. it's banking solely off being a story, that's where he's trying to extract value from, that and being avant garde.

This reminds me of deconstructed strawberry webm, can someo ne posts it?
The one which has strawberry cubed, blend, frozen, etc until it become like a candy and filled with powdery stuff

How pretentious can you be? You're taking a piss here right?

You lost me when pretty much the only thing he did was fry it in butter for two hours, you could sell that carrot at a carnival
If you want to be innovative go to Asia, go to the small tribes in Africa that barely discovered fire and understand what they do for food because they are pretty much the last people with a real outside perspective

>It's more about the story he tells
That's called pretentious faggotry, I hope those 500 bucks where worth it for the selfie you took of your food

>zis is an old tomato
>with zat I mean it's been sitting in my roommates fridge for 2 months
>if you were to see zis anywhere you probably wouldn't choose it as a tomato
>we wereso desperate for ingredients zat my roommate Marcello said "eyy I got zis tomato, iz waz zupposed to be in ze trash 2 months ago but it was hiding in the back of the fridge behind the can of beans"
>so we take it and treat it like a piece of cheese
>a tomato like zis we have to bake for 1 half hour - 2 half hour in order for zis to coagulate and shrivel
>toss in ze pan with some cuckonut and keep tossing in more cuckonut
>when tomato is finished take out and juice a handful of rehydrated aspirin
>makes it taste like what grandma smells like
>wala

>I got these uhhh carrots that no one would ever want, you think you can still use them?
>>I'll see what I can do.

What's not to get?

>mfw fat cu/ck/s try to talk smack about one of the best chefs in the world while they post on Veeky Forums and eat mc chickens and drink cheap beer

Why are people here so against people being creative? You don't even try to understand what he does and instantly assume that he is just pretentious and people buying into it are idiots. That's very convenient because you can feel superior without having to actually put in any effort. Maybe what he does is silly. Maybe not. Maybe the people eating there just want to be thought of as cultured. Maybe they are open minded and looking for new experiences. If it doesn't hurt anybody and some people get something positive out of it I don't see why you would hate on it. Just move on.

Are you expecting people not to laugh when a guy cooks an old carrot and then tops it with freshly mowed lawn sauce?

Not counting idiots and flyovers, yes.

>he's selling a challenge to the status quo

By hawking an old ass carrot to rich dickheads that will buy any old shit just because it's expensive as a status symbol?

I think it's time your carer put you in time-out.

So, have you ever tasted that dish?

Get the fuck out with that shit. It's an old carrot doused in butter and salad juice. You're just as bad as faggots who try to convince straight people by saying "have you ever tried it?" Bitch I don't need to suck a dick to realize that I don't like it.

So, have you ever been to Noma?

I'm not ridiculing Noma as a whole, I'm making fun of a douche serving old carrots. Stop grasping at straws.

>defending this guy

Keep it up.

it's his restaurant ya bellpiece

Not that guy, but I remember seeing the episode when Bourdain went there a few years ago. I was fucking astounded by the stuff the chef and emplyees were trying. It was really nice to watch.

Nowadays I'm watching videos of the chef confiting a rotten carrot in butter until it's disgustingly greasy and serving a raw apple sprinkled with seasoning as a desert. The guy probably spent his creativity, it usually happens to everyone, you peak and then it ends.

And then he proceeds to say that he would never make food with placenta in it. I wonder who’s behind this post

>taking a screencap from youtube of a man talking about something his friend did to insult the man, not the friend
jesus christ

>Nowadays I'm watching videos of the chef confiting a rotten carrot in butter until it's disgustingly greasy
what else is a confit you fucking pelmet? don't be one of those dumbfucks who says unremarkable things as if they're savage indictments, the fact that you know what a confit is clearly shows you have an awareness that people like it even if it's 'greasy'

youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg
>Here's the egg you ordered

You shouldn't confit carrots, they absorb too much. Roots and tuberculi (potatoes,etc) in general are bad choices to confit. Unless you're an anglo, since those fucker loved to slather potatoes in goose fat.

A typical example of good confits are:
Duckleg in red wine with onion/shallots. The leg has so much fat that is confits itself.
Salted dried cod (portuguese type) in olive oil. Since the cod is dried confiting it grants it a smooth and moist texture, instead of being greasy.

you are dumb. vegetables do not 'absorb' fat and carrots are one of the most commonly confited vegetables.

Is this real life?
>[YouTube] Albert Einstein makes signature proof: e=mc^2 (embed)

Is this the equivalent to math modern art? I really don't understand this one guys, what is happening

>hurr hes just saying things are equal to other things! thats easy

>this new math is dum, y are their leters there? shuld just b number

>why do (((numale soyboy cucks))) think they can make math better than real white people, like known swarthy Mediterranean Greeks?

Just to add to this post. What I found phenomenal about René when I saw him on Bourdain was how committed he and his team were on making ingredients out of everything. His use of wild herbs seems super intriguing, although I would have to taste it to know if it actually works.

But when the guy starts serving raw apple and fried egg there is kind of a limit being crossed on pretentiousness. Although the egg dish is from his creative peak phase, so I will assume that the sauce and herb mixture had a lot of thought put into it and was actually great.

e=mc^2 is more of postulate than a proof. It's assuming that the resting particle has an associated 4-momentum that is not zero.

>47 posts
>26 posters
why are you so aggressively defending this guy? stop taking it personally. he'd be considered a hack in Manhattan. why do you think he's stuck in a euroshit country instead? there is a unique element to high cuisine, but taking literal garbage, sterilizing it, then covering it in something to overpower the taste is not it.

"Vegetables" is a very wide category, you dumb fat fuck, and many of them DO absorb fat, you stupid ignorant. In fact, potatoes and carrots DO absorb fat. Just go to your fucking pan, pour oil and cut up a carrot and start frying, you stupid idiot. Stop talking out of your ass, you probably only microwave tendies.

>Manhattan
I'm one of the guys saying the the guy went over his head, but if you think Manhattan is the Mecca of cuisine, just kill yourself. Just look, for example, at the Michelin star/population ratio in the Iberian peninsula (spain + portugal) for example, and shut the fuck up.

>Manhattan isn't the Mecca of cuisine
>but every euroshit worth anything stations their restaurant there

boil carrots in butter, then rinse them and eat them cold. they will not be greasy inside. as a general rule, where the vegetable is still moist, it will not absorb fat. it is only where the surface is disrupted and dried out that it will retain some fat. you're trying too hard to catch the guy out and overextending just like every other 'x celebrity is a charlatan fuck this guy' thread

Their secondary restaurant, not their main place. There is more money to be made in Manhattan, is that a surprise?

And
>but every euroshit worth anything stations their restaurant there
What? Check out the Michelin starred restaurants, go on. Most of them are in Europe, and the chefs stay in Europe. Keep deluding yourself, amerifat.

>he'd be considered a hack in Manhattan. why do you think he's stuck in a euroshit country instead?
absolute kek.

there's more than one person 'defending' him, if you want to call it that. all i'm defending him on is the idea of confiting carrots. i like to shit on celebrity chefs as much as the next guy but when you reach too hard and start slagging them off for normal, acceptable shit it turns into a cringefest.

anyone who unironically starts a sentence with retard alert can safely have their opinion disregarded

Lmao the best restaurants in the world are in Europe you delusional fat mayo gobbling murican. Go eat some McDonalds, American food fucking sucks.

>also you're literally defending someone serving subpar produce.
old doesn't mean subpar

i have no idea if that carrot is good eats but i would try it

>he hasn't argued anything or given any reason why we should value that shit carrot over normal ones

Yeah if it tastes amazing that definitely isn't a reason hurr

My friend, the surface is all greasy even when you rinse it. Carrots take a lt of time to cook, even in water. If you leave it in the butter, like you suggested, for enough time then they will get fat inside as well. I know this because I've done that mistake once, with olive oil.

you're just wrong, the mechanics don't make sense. carrots are already full of liquid, you have to drive off the liquid if you want to replace it with fat, and that's not what confiting is about.

Wait, now that you say that, you are probably right. The fat does trap the moisture inside. Maybe in my case I had the olive oil too hot, which made the moisture turn vapour and leave the carrot. Sorry, seems I was talking a bit out of my ass.

Still doesn't excuse René serving a fucking sliced apple, though.

No problem man. And I agree about the Apple, I’ve always thought of Noma as the old lady who hands out clementines and walnuts and shit at Halloween. Fuck that old lady.

>Thing is shitty and old
>Sautee it in butter for two hours
>Becomes edible
Genius.
Remind me of what I did in college with old shit in the fridge.

What is this sliced apple I keep hearing about?

good analogy

It's in the suggestions at the end of , it's the last one.
The oyster thing actually seems phenomenal though. Smell of sea if my favourite smell in the whole world, and it immediately gets my hungry thinking about catching shellfish or molluscs and eating them.

>he'd be considered a hack in Manhattan
Literally opened a $2000 a head pop up restaurant there a couple months ago.

Just found the video. The apple has some kind of sauce made of 7 different apples and other shit inside it, seems fine as an appetizer at such a place.

obviously it wasn't amazing enough to save his position as best restaurant :^)
did you watch the video? it was a bad harvest and the farmer wasn't able to sell them

It's still raw apple. It's inexcusable, not matter how fantastic the actual ingredient is. It can be tasty, but in that level you need to put in more effort, people are paying for your expertise. It cannot be just "sufficient".

>muh manhattan

The apple is more or less just a bowl for what’s inside, like they have rocks and moss lying on the plates. I don’t think you’re meant to eat the whole apple.

All these idiots in this thread who explain icooking year old carrots away as "the experience" sound exactly like those pretentious modern art faggots who sell broken urinals for hundreds of thousands of dollars because "it tells a story"

this is part of a class of restaurants where you go there to have shit you can't get anywhere else. i have no idea what the 'vintage carrot' actually tastes like but if you're not down for tasting it once i don't think that makes you smarter than anyone else.

>referencing Duchamp's Fountain as an example of modern art being uncritical

lawn clippings, goat butter, and sorrel. and very strong carrot taste since older vegetables have a stronger taste. not exactly appetizing imo but I agree with you that it'd be worth trying. rene is clearly pretty talented and passionate, but it seems like he gets caught up in the art fuckery more than the actual dish. that egg dish looks pretty good and probably tastes good especially in the context of a menu, but the whole "cooking it yourself" thing is a complete gimmick. and the dish that's majority rocks is more art project than food.

Didn't Duchamp also sell his shit in a can or am I thinking of a different artist?

kekked

Piero Manzoni made a bunch of cans labeled "Artist's Shit". One sold last year for about 300 grand.

Is this Danish cuisine?

People have the right to voice their opinion and taking a piece of shit and saying it' s gold doesn' t make it art.

No

>getting people to pay for this shit
>making your customer cook their own food
Genius.

>zis is an old tomato
Holy shit I haven't even read the rest, do I need to.

>2 half hour
I am glad I'm reading the rest, I'm crying.

hehe

Kekek
Nice one there

>number of posters stay the same
Stop samefagging your own cringy greentext garbage you pathetic swine

O RLY

>gg sides

I remember watching their documentary on opening a restaurant at Japan. Really forward-minded people.

t.jealous retard
Haven't you suck rene's dick today?

@9835682
Holy f*cking heck that is le hilarious man TOp reddit post material take my upvotes! Lol

Is this your first day here?

sushi is just raw fish. raw ingredients still take skill to serve well you fucking mong

Stop trying to act retarded because you're just retarded, it is not pretending anymore.

Reminds me of this
youtube.com/watch?v=hG6U9WAdppo