Chicken Stock

I am making some chicken stock. It is the first time making it and I used the left over bits from a chicken I just cut up for the first time. I added the bones and chicken bits as well as onion, celery, carrots, garlic, pepper corns, tyme, and a couple of bay leaves. It is nearing completion and I was wondering if there were any reasons why I shouldn't make a soup using the cut up veg that are already in the stock pot with whatever chicken meat is left on the bones of the chicken. I am also drunk if that matters.

it'll taste like shit, but do whatever you want.
the reason stock tastes so good is to extract all those good flavors into a liquid. The "bits" have already given up their goodness.

Also, enjoy your green stock since you added chlorophyll early in the stock making process.

You can eat them if you want, but the whole point of putting them in the stock to simmer for hours is to draw out their flavor.

So there you have it.
The only thing I sometimes do is pull some of the meat off the bones and throw in a chx soup made with that stock, just for some texture.

Thanks. Didn't know that, but should have guessed it.

The stock is a light brown color. Judging by your comment I shouldn't have added the celery until close to the end of the process. I left the skins of the onions on per most recipes to color the stock and it seems to be working.

Depends on what you like.
I don't like mushy veg much. The long time required to make stock invariably yields mushy veg. For me, that's a strike against eating it. But if you like (or can at least tolerate) mushy veg, that's not much a deterrent. Although, it must be said that you will need to take care when straining your stock that the veg you used don't disintegrate into the ether in the process. If you want to eat them, I strongly recommend gently removing them from the stock and setting aside before you tip the pot out to strain the stock.
Another issue might be the loss of flavour. That's not to say the veg will be flavourless. No. They'll still have a flavour, absolutely, but what flavour they have after using them to make stock will seem weak in comparison to veg cooked any other way. If you don't mind weaker-tasting veg, this is also not a deterrent.
Thirdly, scum can be a problem. During the cooking of a stock, unless you've used a pressure cooker, you're going to deal with scum, which will need to be skimmed as the stock cooks. No matter what you do, some scum will remain behind, often clinging to the stock veg and the meat/bone scraps. Some people dislike the taste of scum or the whole idea of eating scum altogether. If you're not remotely acquiescing to the notion of scum as a foodstuff, you might want to skip the veg and meat this round and make your soup with fresh veg/meat (as well as your freshly made stock).

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I mostly followed the foodwishes chicken stock video. I skimmed the top to remove the scum. Also I will follow the advice to discard the hard ingredients. I might pull any obvious meat from the scraps and eat it as a drunk snack.

>I left the skins of the onions on per most recipes to color the stock and it seems to be working.
The french have a technique to golden the color of stocks, it's with a burnt onion. You can find it by googling "Oignon brule" Any questions ask away, I like helping stock makers as it's the best way to enhance home cooking.

Thanks I think I might try to make this stock again, when I do I will try this. It takes almost zero effort if you are already cutting up a whole chicken.

I'm at hour 7 now. I don't know if adding salt at this point will help but I think It's done. I'm going to let it cool off and I might freeze some I will use the rest tomorrow in a soup. Don't know if salt will help or hurt if I add before storing.

never add salt to stock. You season it in the during the application.

Thanks. I tasted it and it needs the salt if it were to stand alone. But it makes sense to hold off on the salt until you are using it. Never know if the use will need the salt it you use it

Yup, use a tasting spoon and sprinkle a few grains of salt in it. Do this with a bit of vinegar too. If it tastes good then you have no problems; cool it fast and store it.

For really chicken stock I always freeze chicken scraps (fat, neck, giblets, excess skins, etc) in a baggie and save them until I have a nice fat bag.

I also save veggies scraps for broths and its amazing. (Onion peels, potato peels, celery heads, carrot tops, etc)

If you have an herb garden go ahead and throw the stems or excess herbs in the baggies to freeze with the soup starters.

>Oignon brule
great tip, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

>12 hours on the stove

Just put it in a pressure cooker for 2 hours...

>not putting your ingredients in a pressure cooker for 12 hours

I made chicken stock for the first time yesterday using 2 carcasses and 3 litres of water. After I'd taken all the bones and vegetables out I only had about 200ml of stock. How do I know how much to use in a recipe? Do I work off a ratio of 1:15?

There is no "stock", there is only YOUR stock, so you can make it as rich or light as you want it to be, so don't be afraid to add water, if needed, to thin it out for a recipe.

My stock is made solely with chicken parts and NO veggies, herbs or whatever, as all I want to do is create a flavored liquid with some vitamins and such to add to recipes without changing the taste profile of the recipe with extra shit in the stock.

Use it how you want to use it.

nigga why did you add vegetables to your chicken stock, you're supposed to be using it as a STOCK for other shit that you THEN add vegetables to. what the fuck

Not OP, but a lot of stock recipes call for additional shit for some reason.

carrots add sweetness, onions add aroma. There are many reasons why you add veg to stock, without those layer flavors you're just making gelatin water.

Because those recipes are for the retarded french version of stock. This guy is correct, don't add spices or veg to meat stocks as you want to be able to use it in any kind of dish that will have their own spices and flavorings. Imagine how stupid it'd be to use a french style stock with thyme and bay leaf for a chinese dish.

>french style stock with thyme and bay leaf for a chinese dish.
what spices go with dog? I've never had dog.

Cumin and black pepper. A lot of black pepper.

Just about every single proper cook around the world uses onions, celery, and carrots for chicken stock. Many Chinese and Indian cooks buy celery just to make stock, nothing else.