Thoughts on pinto beans?

Thoughts on pinto beans?
Supposedly they're the most popular bean in America, but where I am (Canada) they're difficult to find canned.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They cook fast from dry, and at any rate they're mainly eaten in the form of baked beans or chili (which takes such a long time that using canned doesn't really save you much time), so I've never really thought to buy them canned. The best baked beans use the cooking liquid from cooking the dried pinto beans anyway.

Look up new mexican bean recipes

You're welcome, moose

i love them. i have some in the fridge now. slow cooked them in my crockpot with the ham bone from thanksgiving.

AB here, I've heard of them, never used them however. I'm big on dried/canned black/kidney beans, chickpeas too.

As far as baked beans go, basically the idea is usually:

Big dutch oven full of pinto beans
Mix in molasses, bourbon, brown sugar, worcestershire or marmite, chipotle, maybe some tomato paste, etc
Put in the oven and cook it on low heat for several hours
Remove lid and cook it a while longer until it caramelizes a bit

can your own

>cook fast from dry

they absolutely do not. That shit has to have a long soak

Soaking is a useless meme for every time of bean 99% of the time.

You basically save 30% on cooking time in exchange for having to think 12 hours ahead to soak.

The only reason to soak beans is it makes them a little less likely to burst when you cook them, but that's mostly just true for kidney beans and butter beans.

Beans taste better when they aren't soaked, too.

And if you have a pressure cooker, you can cook any type of bean in under 40 minutes anyway, no soak needed.

Kidney beans are the Cadillac of dried beans

ur friends prob think ure into voodoo

peruvian beans are better

I eat pintos with every meal. I have hundreds of pounds of dry pintos stashed away. I cook a huge batch about twice a week in my pressure cooker. Veggie bean chili + home made bread is heaven. Can't think of a better food.

>40 minutes
My soaked beans take 1 minute to cook under pressure + the time it takes to naturally depressurize. It is definitely worth it to soak them.

How much water do you need to cook unsoaked beans in a pressure cooker?

okay how the fuck though

I've never managed to JUST cook beans and now have them still be somewhat hard. Fuck am I doing wrong

Do you use a stovetop cooker, or electric?

for quick soak I do 1 cup beans 4 cups water high pressure 1 minute natural release drain then cook

runnin from my magic

>Do you use a stovetop cooker, or electric?
stovetop

There's a popular "fair food" (like, foods you eat at the county fair) in my region called indian tacos.

Far as I can tell, it's just a taco with pinto beans on a fried flatbread (kind of like a taco bell chalupa). It's one of my favorite junkfoods, and anyone can make it. It uses all the typical taco fillings, but occasionally some "exotic" ingredients like roasted corn or black olives.

Pinto beans on their own kinda suck unless you cook them with lard and "refry" them

Seriously, teach me how to cook unsoaked beans. I've tried to do the "Quick cook" method where you don't soak and basically just boil the shit out of them, and that results in very aldente beans.

If I soak them, they're fine, but it still takes 2-3 hours of simmer time before they're tender and won't give me gas. I mean, I'll stick to my soaked beans. But unless you're getting your hands on fresh, and not dried beans, I doubt you're getting those results.

pressure cook is really the best way to cook beans
canned beans are pressure cooked by definition so if you want that quality of bean you need to pressure cook it

Canned beans are cooked in the can?

They have less protein than all the other beans I eat.

What bean has the highest available protein content%?
Black beans, kidneys, navy?

black = 9
kidney = 9
navy = 8
pinto = 7

Ty fám. Yellow soy beans seem to be high too, but... soy.

Are you adding salt at the beginning because that fucks em up

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224 Soy is fine. I like TVP a lot.

how do navy beans taste compared to black and pinto?

My nigga. TVP is great

Thanks mommy

It takes like 10 minutes at least to prrssurize and depressurize my pressure cooker, though, so the benefit of soaking is still marginal.

I cook them like rice, usually. Dump into boiling water, cover, reduce to a bare simmer, simmer several hours and stirring 2-3 times per hour. Pinto beans are usually done around 1.75-2 hours, black beans 2.5-3.5 or so.

Anymore, though, I use an electric pressure cooker - not including de/pressure - that does dry chickpeas in 35 minutes, pinto beans in 30 minutes, etc.

Flatulence may be an issue for some. It has a lot to do with gut microbiome, though, and if you eat a lot of beans like I do, your body adjusts relatively quickly.

Then there's the taste factory. Black beans, in particular, have a much richer flavor if you don't soak and allow them to chill in their cooking liquid before straining.

Try these, same texture, similar look, probably the same thing.

I usually cook them with carrot and sliced beef to make this kind of brown soup.

>he doesn't activate his beans

omg rofl