Christmas Dinner thread

Christmas Dinner thread.

What are you making for Christmas dinner?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UhkjPBuabLc
jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/carrots/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpEQ2y7QCFc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll have a pre Christmas Dinner with mates today before we all head home for the holidays.

Two are vegan so I'm making a lentil and porcini roast. Brown sauce, shiitake, tomato, miso and soy sauce for that umami. Pic related, mushrooms soaking.

Additionally Brussle sprouts, bread stuffing, chestnuts, honey parsnips and rosemary taters I recon.

Drinks will include self made Glühwein aka mulled wine.

I have a vegan sister so I don't fucking know
Last year I made vegan Stollen and that came out great, but I don't know what to cook this year. Vegan eggnog sounds disgusting.

Pretty much a traditional swedish christmas dinner, probably toned down a bit from last year because we're down one person.

I've been learning how to make pralines so I guess I'll make a couple of varieties. I've got recipes for a caramel filling and a raspberry mousse filling sorted out already, and I think I'll make a liquorice fudge one as well.

asking daddy to pick up a durian so I can watch everyone try it and also get at least segment to myself. I spent my recent durian budget on a gift for the bf.

right now I’ll be making ginger bread

Trying to make beef stew for some friends, how can I make the liquid more viscous? At the moment after adding the vegetables it just seems like beef/vegetable and soup

Recipe said to add two teaspoons of flour and it's currently simmering for an hour, doesn't seem to be thickening.

I'm Jewish.

Strain out the solids after they are done and simmer the gravy down for an hour. Cornstarch or a little gelatin will add body too. Definitely recommend adding a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin if you have it.

Nothing since I'm going to be alone

Ohhhh, cornflour and not actual flour. Righto! Thanks!

Regular flour work just as well, adjust the amounts to your liking

Turned out delicious, thanks!

Cornflour just has double the thickening power of flour. Also, tapioca gives a really strong gel if you want to invest in buying it online.

>tfw alone on Christmas Eve
I'll just get fat on my own. I'll probably set up a cheese fondue and grill some meat while watching The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Aren't celebrating Hanukkah?

Sounds like legendary /comfy/ levels tbqh, why so sad?

a big ass fuckin brisket

My grandma is having pre- Christmas dinner on Sunday. She requested I make some checkerboard cookies, so I'm going to make those. I also might try to make some berry tarts and bring those if they turn out well.

Just bought ingredients for potato pancakes and Israeli-style doughnuts (sufganiyot). Anyone got any tips?

Not sure yet. We are having people for dinner on Christmas eve and will probably make chickens, roasted potatoes, salad, stuffing, and some roasted veggies. Then tamales for the next day. Trying to think of some nice desserts to make.

Guys give me a foolproof recipe for a pork leg roast, I'll be using the oven

you know I love me some walnuts
>walnuts

Glazed ham with red apple-cinnamon-cabbage and fried bread dumplings, afterwards baked apples with almonds, marzipan and rum with a cold vanilla gellato. Drinks will be eggnog and mulled wine. Meat is already ordered at my local butcher, next week will be much to do.

Pretty traditionally german.

Probably gonna do ham and stuffing. I want to make a side dish that doesn't come in a can or box though. What should I make?

brown rice and baked chicken

>rice for christmas

Buying chinese food a day in advance and just heat up on christmas

either spanish bacalao-stew or something called pinnekjott, pinnekjott is dry-salted lamb steamed on top of birch wood, its a traditional thing over here and i think it tastes great, will probably celebrate Christmas right here with my internet family

URGENT

So I am going to make Beef Wellington and as a starchy/carbohydrate intensive side dish I already got truffled mashed potatoes but I've got no idea what kind of coloured vegetables I could add to that without looking too bland. I mean just carrots and brussel sprouts would be embarrassing, wouldnt it?

Any suggestions?

Poverty meal.

Visiting my mom for Christmas. She's single, and I have no spouse or kids, so it will probably be a lonely event. As far as food goes, who gives a shit. Happy Holidays.

Tiptree christmas pudding and not sure what else I'm bringing. mulled wine wasn't a hit with anyone but me last year so I need a savory.

>Doesnt have to waste money on family
>Can skip this retarded holiday entirely with no bitching
I envy you

The lack of responses to this post demonstrates the state of this board perfectly. Sorry lad

What sounds good to me as a side with color, would be sauteed yellow zuchini. with some sugar up in it.

Yellow Zuchini would be kind of the same colour as the potatoes already. Maybe I am just overthinking it but I just think that only sauteed brussel sprouts and carrots are too boring? How could I make them more interesting?

What about mac'n'cheese, yo?

Turkey, green beans with mushrooms, collards with hamhocks, mashed potatoes, roasted butternut squash, stuffing and sweet potatoes pie.

Anyone have any gravy tips?

it didnt strike me as boring to use carrots and brussels sprouts. in fact i like the color combination, as well as the flavor of the two. i think you are OK with that.

gonna need a dark colored gravy for that spread, imo. my grandmother would use grease from the turkey, add flour, salt and pepper, and make the gravy that way.

Pork and Beef Tamales

Why are Germans always the best posters on ceekay?

My family is doing Raclette and I don't care for that shit.

Doing a pre Christmas with friends and we'll have lamb Döner with home-baked bread

Ok, so how do I get a darker gravy?

>fried bread dumplings

Semmelknödel, in der Pfanne rausgebraten?

Your Christmas dinner sounds amazing. Though Usually 'traditional' it's a goose, not a chicken, no?

bits of the cooked meat. you need pieces of the skin that have cooked, for one thing. pepper also helps to darken it. but mainly the dark coloring comes from pieces of the bird that have become crisp. you can find them in the pan.

a noose

one last thing, forget the pepper advice. i recall my grandmother not using much if any pepper in the gravy. just salt and flour and the fat and cooked parts of the turkey. pepper is one of those things that people like the amount they like, and its never good to add ahead of time for this reason.

Turkey roulade with pork, sage and cashew stuffing

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UhkjPBuabLc

carrots and sprouts are a classic for a reason
jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/carrots/
sautee the Brussels sprouts in bacon and bacon fat, with some garlic and onion

Yeah, homemade Semmelknödel cut in thick slices and fried in Butteschmalz to get them some golden crust and extra flavour. It's also easier to present them in that way and reduces eggnog-drunk flying ones. I'm not sure if I shouldn't go straight for Serviettenknödel at that point. Probably.

Well, really traditional would be fish as the 24th is still part of the phillipus fast but goose, ham and even Wienerwürstchen with potato salat (Pott) are used as traditions. Ham is more the older germanic one taken over from the more pagan days before the whole no-meat friday/ christmas.

But thanks, it will be my first real one with friends I hope it comes out the way it's planned.

Unfortunately I don't have a mesh strainer. I'll try it out though.

Ok, thanks user. I'll keep that in mind.

Maple dijon glazed ham
Potato gratin
Roasted root vegetabes
Green beans and button mushrooms sauteed with shallots
Maple-bacon-pecan sweet potatoes

Haven't decided on dessert yet, I switch that up from year to year but I'm leaning toward baked Alaska. Cooking the super rich dinner and serving it to my family is genuinely my favorite part of Christmas.

Orange and purple tiny carrots roasted with butter and sage. Something like pic related.

flæskesteg

When you make the roux from the turkey fat cook it longer than you would normally untill it's a darker shade of brown. Make sure hat when you're pouring the juices in that you do it slowly, a bit at a time and whisk vigorously.

>What are you making for Christmas dinner?
Fucking inlaws are visiting us so we're cooking it, father-in-law is such an anal retentive faggot and probably gonna drink all my beer along with his own stash he brings.

Either way its a join effort with me and the wife

Starter:
>Bruschetta

Main:
>Roasted chicken stuffed with onion & lemon, pierced with rosemary, basted with olive oil
>Roasted potatoes, standard seasonings
>Roasted sliced parsnips and carrots
>Boiled peas and brussells sprouts
>Pigs and blankets
>Bisto gravy

Dessert:
>Probably a frozen raspberry pavlova or some shit

Shame we're not doing to my dads, he just cooks all the fucking meats

I personally hate when latkes are too mushy on the inside, so I make them like hash browns but with added onion/egg. My way makes eating them with applesauce a lot better because they're so much extra crunchier

>latkes
>adding egg and onion
>eating with applesauce
Those are fucking Reibekuchen, not those kike wannabes, mein Neger.

stash your beer
replace it with cheap sacrificial beer

Will be alone, so will just cook a couple goose breasts, one for lunch, one for evening cold cuts. Pan seared and finish in the oven with clementines, garlic and thyme. Crate of good wine, a decent cheeseboard, movies and books will see me through quite happily.

sounds pretty good to be honest
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpEQ2y7QCFc

So far I plan to make:
Smoked strip loin
Mushroom and red wine cream sauce
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Broccoli or green beans sauteed in garlic, lemon and butter
Cheese straws made with puff pastry
Undecided dessert, not sure if I'll bother to make something to just have someone bring something.

I'm also going to make a big ass pan of lasagna the friday before christmas.

looks pretty good

I'm strayan and lasagna is more of a winter dish do I am kind of wondering how comfy it must be to sit down to hot christmas lasagna

bump

My mom will be cooking the dinner like she usually does. I'll probably bake some cookies to bring over, though. For Thanksgiving I made peanut butter cookies. Maybe I'll make white chocolate macadamia cookies this time around.

>just over half eat turkey
>But 62% have fucking brussel sprouts.
What faggot country is this from?

>other ingredients listed include parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, and bread sauce
I wonder where that might be

I donno, gotta be in the EU if the love Brussels so much tho.

Saute the carrots with butter and ginger. It's fucking delicious.

I'm helping my dad with the Turkey this year. He usually roasts it empty and naked, but I'm gonna fill it with aeromatics and stuff some herbed butter under the skin.

Our family usually doesn't have Christmas Dinner, but my dad makes a hugeass breakfast instead. I might make a stew or something on Christmas Eve and throw it in a crockpot.

does your dad do ham steaks, this is important

Maple basted turkey
Caramelized onions and black garlic gravy
Sous vide salmon and hollandaise
Stuffing
Scalloped potatos
Caramelized cranberry and Apple sauce
Maple seared Brussels sprouts
Honey herb carrots
Green beans and bacon
Homemade dinner rolls
Spring salad

Dessert is Apple pie and lemoncello tiramisu

Nope, can't say he does.

buy a ham and cut off half inch slices
pan fry it instead of bacon, make sammiches, then boil the bone with split peas for soup

p u d d i n g

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Also nice trips.

I cellebrate Saturnalia and this year I'm going to be making salmon broiled with a coating of pesto sauce. I'll be serving that with some indian style rice and a side of penne in maranara.

If I have time I may try to make a bit ofPuglise style bread.

For h'ordeurves I'll put out some breadsticks wrapped in mozzerella and prosciutto, some crackers with brie and roasted garlic and some green olives.

Ok what Chinese restaurant you gonna go to?

Basque dressing, baked boneless leg of lamb, green pozole, and red enchiladas. I like to get all the pickled stuff we normally don't eat like sweet pickles, pickled sweet peppers, green olives stuffed with blue cheese/pimento/jalapeno.

Good for you, breaking away from this co-opted holiday worshipping a theoretical construct derived from the crucifixion of thousands of jewish criminals and turned into a worship of Mammon. Feasts and debauchery are the true celebration of the solstice.

eh, my family have never been religious but love the christmas traditions which all stem from paganism anyway. Yule was banned for almost a century in England even but people celebrated anyway... eventually the English church coopted the festival, remembered that actually Jesus was born on that day and encouraged it's celebration but only if you convert
it's all pagan
even the tree and the feast, the kind old man who rewards good children of the village and still gives something to the rotten ones to keep them from freezing, it touches our souls in a way that we almost remember how we're supposed to live, how we lived for millennia

Well, christmas is in winter for the majority of the world's population

>mfw making a brisket and handmade potato pancakes tonight for hanukkah

fuck off christfags

Making a prime rib roast for the first time. Sick of the turkey/ham shit of the last 30 years.

Not sure what sides to make with it, though. Some manner of potato, but beyond that, not really sure.

no bully :(
>ywn have a white christmas in Australia unless there's a nuclear war

Honestly it's just because I'm a Roman pagan. I worship the major feast days in place of normal holidays.

I even spent some time on line chatting with some sweadish friends who wanted me to join their Yule celebration. Basically they set up a video feed and we drank beer together for a couple hours.

Honestly pagan holidays are more fun IMO. Feasting and drinking with good company is the real point.

Mix up a slurry of a couple tablespoons of flour with just enough water to liquefy it. Maybe a half cup or so. Slowly stir it into your stew as it is cooking. You should see it begin to thicken as you add the slurry. Stop adding the sjurry before you reach the desired consistency for it will continue to thicken more as it cooks.

Mix up a slurry of a couple tablespoons of flour with just enough water to liquefy it. Maybe a half cup or so. Slowly stir it into your stew as it is cooking. You should see it begin to thicken as you add the slurry. Stop adding the sjurry before you reach the desired consistency for it will continue to thicken more as it cooks.

Agreed. Even someone as jaded as I am who scoffs at the idea of good capitalist Scrooge reforming because of the 3 ghosts, reads "A Christmas Carol" every year and gets tears in his eyes. Talk about describing feasts, Dickens was a master. He was either starving or just liked eating.

*tips fedora*

hvorfor laver du gingerbread?

>not having both porkroast and roast duck.
wew lad

Making prime rib.

Wtf, why because someone questions your sacred cow?