Bread baking thread

Discuss bread baking here.

This is my latest sourdough. I was disappointed with the lack of sourness and large holes in my previous wheat batch, so I tried 100% rye.

55% hydration, 1% salt, 50% preferment at 100% hydration for 24 hours room temperature, 12 hours bulk ferment room temperature, 12 hours bulk ferment refrigerated, 3 hours proof room temperature, 45 minutes bake at 180C.

This is exactly what I want. It's dense and heavy and extra sour. I can taste both lactic and acetic acid, along with the fruity kind of taste you get from stressed yeast. You can't buy this kind of bread in shops.

Looks like shit
>literally

Why does all your bread look like shit? Is it your mill? Do you not know how to make a proper crust on it?

wow that is really awful looking bread

>your
how do you know it's the same goy?

>no vagina yeast
This is where you went wrong

He makes bread thread, and every time it looks decent, but has no crust at all, or rises weirdly

I suppose you prefer Swiss cheese-style "artisan" bread. Holes in bread are literally tasteless. Dense crumb is superior.

Crust hurts your mouth and tastes bad. The only reason I didn't steam this is because it wouldn't fit in my steamer.

It's wild yeast and wild lactic acid bacteria, so theoretically it could be the same kind of yeast as found on humans. It would be difficult to identify it.

>it looks decent
you seriously need higher standards

>Crust hurts your mouth and tastes bad

You fucking tastelet

>tastelet
So why do I prefer extra-sour (more sour than anything commercially available) bread?

user this just looks like wheat soda bread

You can like extra sour bread all you want but if you think crust "hurts" and "tastes bad" you are the definition of a tastelet

Literal children dislike bread crusts, no one else.

Why would you post that abomination?
>no rise
>no crust
>no gluten
Stop making bread lad

It's pure rye. Only ingredients are rye flour, salt, and water. The yeast was wild yeast included with the rye (grown for about 2 weeks as a sourdough starter).

It's more delicious than any artisan bread.

t. hipster tastelet

I'd try it, looks nice and soft

It's not soft. It actually does have a crust, and the inside is much denser than wheat bread. I intentionally make it like this because I wanted extra sourness.

Has anybody tried putting whole or cracked grains in bread? Any recommendations for how best to do that?

>You can't buy this kind of bread in shops.
i wonder why that is

oh look sour sponge cake with an overwhelming taste of rye

Too expensive to make.

Are those bread maker machines worth it or do they only crank out shit?

the pic related

How are breads different when you use flours other than wheat? Like how is buckwheat bread different for example?

IT'S FUCKING RAW

The hole you see in the crust is from where I stabbed it with a probe thermometer, so I am certain it is not raw. It's overcooked actually, because the crust is harder than I'd like. I'd bake for 30 minutes next time.

>Crust hurts your mouth and tastes bad.

If you do it wrong, yup

The amount of gluten in wheat flour makes it pretty unique in the grain world. It's what allows it to trap gas bubbles well enough to make the finished crumb light and airy. Buckwheat is a seed and I don't think it has any gluten. So if you tried to make 100% buckwheat bread it would likely be very dense like the shit in the OP pic. Many people use a mixture of high gluten flour with something like buckwheat to find a happy medium between the flavor and texture.

I have seen some 100% rye breads with a better texture than the abomination the OP created though. But the end product is still quite dense. Even a very small amount of bread flour allows for a lighter texture. I should say that I have no idea how gluten free bread works, but they are able to achieve some mediocre fluffy loaves somehow.

The interior is underdone.

If he took its temp then it's probably not under baked. That's just what a brick of rotting rye sludge looks like when you bake it.

Full grain spelt, spelt, rye bread.

You are wrong. It measured 98C when I probed it. The probe came out clean. The center of the bread was not sticky or gummy at all. Bread does not need to be browned on the outside to be cooked.

>ITT everyone jelly of OP's bread

>The center of the bread was not sticky or gummy at all

Agree, looks pretty undone to me too.

Those diagonal lines were made by the bread knife when I cut it. They're actually material from the edge of the bread pushed inward by the knife.

I ate the whole thing already. It was overcooked but still delicious.

>Those diagonal lines were made by the bread knife when I cut it.
Which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't underdone
>but still delicious
I think this entire thread has established that you don't know what good bread is

>Those diagonal lines were made by the bread knife when I cut it. They're actually material from the edge of the bread pushed inward by the knife.
yeah we all understand what that is. it 'gummed up' because it's gummy or it was when you sliced it at least, was it hot when you made that cut?

I enjoy seeing your bread gore though. I can't tell if you are serious about liking the loaves you make

What this kind of bread looks on the inside. The one on the first picture had too irregular pores for my personal taste, and this one was less prettier from the outside. It has very small, yet very regular pores, and it is denser than the bread out of the supermarket, but still it is really soft, and perfect to eat marmelade or put some homemade hummus on it. The fact I don't use sourdough for this specific one, means it has best to be eaten in three to four days.

>Which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't underdone
Have you ever cooked long-fermentation 100% rye sourdough? It really would have been the "brick" people are calling it if I'd cooked it longer. I have undercooked bread before, and the taste is texture is completely different.

>don't know what good bread is
Good bread is the good tasting bread, which means this was the best bread I've ever eaten.

>was it hot when you made that cut?
Yes. I cut it about 2 minutes after removing it from the oven.

>can't tell if you are serious about liking the loaves you make
It has about 10 times the flavor of a supermarket loaf, and 5 times the flavor of an "artisan" loaf, and without the excessive saltiness and unpleasant crust of those.

To be fair. This is the first one. For my personal taste it was a failure. I probably did not properly push all of the air out of the dough after its last resting period. Still very edible in terms of taste.

That looks like a really nice spelt bread. I have never worked with spelt but I have read about it a little bit. Apparently it's easy to over develop the gluten and ruin the texture and it hydrates differently than regular wheat flour. Pretty loaves, would eat

I also made 100% spelt bread. I steamed it to minimize crust. I used dried yeast and the bread tasted almost identical to wheat bread. I'd just use wheat if I made it again because wheat is cheaper.

Might not be strictly bread related but how long would you keep a self made pizza dough in the fridge? More than 5 days?

Keep it in plastic foil (from air) and if you have worked in a nice and clean environment, you can go for a week, yep. But it can turn bad on you. If it smells strange (like unwashed feed, or sour), don't use it anymore.

Because you're addicted to the taste of your own bile

It looks like plain grain spelt to me. Did you use plain grain for the entirety of the bread. I only used it for 30 percent of the bread. 20 percent is rye, and another 50% is white spelt flour. I also add some spoons of balsamic vinegar. Gives it an even more aromatic taste.

100% whole spelt.

If you put it in the fridge right after you made it then it can last at least 5 days. It's going to keep changing and getting a stronger flavor. Also enzymes bread down the gluten and make it sloppy eventually. You can keep using it, but eventually the yeast will be mostly dead and there may even be a little pool of alcohol on top. The texture becomes like a uniform sponge when baked and it may be tangy. Many people like it. It also depends on how cold your fridge is, if it's in the coldest part at the bottom or something, everything happens slower. Focaccia is actually really good with old dough. And it wont need to rise very much for pizza. Age it as long as you dare.

That is the worst loaf of bread I have ever seen.

You'll want to soak the grains in hot water and let it cool before you add them to the dough, and make sure you adjust your hydration accordingly.

This actually looks like trash. Taste might be a different matter though.

Thanks. I can get whole barley for cheap, so I'll try that next time I make bread.

If you're doing whole barley, you've got to cook it beforehand because it'll absorb too much of the water and/or won't be cooked fully during the bake. Soaking is fine for something like cracked wheat, smaller seeds, and oats.

Thanks. I can also get whole oats but they're more expensive than whole barley (rolled oats are cheaper).

not op but crust hurting ur mouth is a big deal and has nothing to do with ones palate you big bitch

It's not literally all crust, only "artisan" crust, where they deliberately make it as hard and brittle as possible.

I'm not OP but:
>you're bread doesn't have big holes, it's not real bread
>I only eat bread with big holes and high hydration because I like knowing the baker is laughing at me for paying more money for less flour and more water

ITT: so many bubblefags. Also, I make brioche by hand so don't come at me with your shit. Tired of these fucking artisinal fags sucking each others bread dicks.

There is no excuse for using a breadmaker.

If your bread is genuinely cooked then the only reason you're getting that gummy look in your pics is because you aren't letting it cool long enough before cutting.

Nobody was doing that. I think most of us know a 100% rye is not going to have a large crumb structure. His bread just looks like trash. Like a dense pale brick of sour misery. You also sound upset that you can't into crusty sourdough with an irregular crumb. Would like to see your brioche though.

>spelt tastes like wheat
It really doesn't, at all

I cut it as soon as it was cool enough to touch.

Maybe not with white bread, but with whole grain it does. Certainly not enough difference to justify the price.

>sourdough is the bread de jour so I judge everything by sourdough because I blindly follow trends.

Don't make assumptions about me and I won't make them about you. I haven't even tried making sourdough yet because it's not where my tastebuds have led me. Next time I make brioche I'll start a thread.

made some rosemary garlic sourdough today

Can you not pick up on the less "heavy" but more nutty flavour spelt has compared to wholewheat? Maybe it's like people who love spicy food vs people who can't handle a jalopeno but to me the difference is like night and day.

I'm sure I could tell the difference in a side by side comparison, but unlike rye, which is immediately obviously different, spelt just tastes kind of like wheat.

There's your mistake right there. When the bread is still warm the gluten chains haven't fixed/solidified yet. If you want your bread at it's best wait till it's completely cooled or at least 45 minutes.

Why so mad at the artisanal bread people though? People get into those loaves because they are easy, require almost no special equipment and produce something you can't get at the grocery store. Like the no knead bread produces a good loaf that a small child could make.

For a while we had almost no one on Veeky Forums baking good looking bread except FF. Now there are lots of people baking because of the no knead/Tartine style loaf memes. It's a good thing imo.

There is definitely a similarity, on that we agree. That's why I use spelt where the difference in taste will be apparent. A white/spelt combo bread is excellent. As for your earlier comment about spelt price...spelt flour is 3 times more expensive than wheat flour in my country.

I can't answer your question without it degenerating into an argument which isn't what I come to Veeky Forums for. The artisinal crowd are trend whore charlatans and exclusionist snobs who make the simple act of baking bread into something pretentious and unnecessarily complex.

looks fantastic

Some one knows how to make happy yeast .

Happy yeast is a bad thing. Unhappy yeast makes more flavor.

What lmao ? Please elaborate lol

Yeast produces more flavor chemicals when it's stressed. They're the "fusel oils" you get in brewing. Happy yeast gives you more bubbles but blander flavor.

This is nothing to do with wanting bubbles, OP's loaf looks like he tried to make a brick out of kinetic sand and ran out half way through.

Oh I see what you are saying , I was taught aging for flavor and always keep your yeast gassy , TK has a quip about yeast and aging in one of his books I'll have to rumage about for it

You should be slapped for making such an atrocity

i feed my starter about once a week, and usually bake with it a few days after feeding it (i keep it in the fridge.) that way i get the best of both worlds -- the yeast is happy (it triples in a few hours if i leave it out), but i get a nice sour flavor from the aerobic activity

Sourdough, 50/50 white and whole wheat. Don't measure anything other than flour. First time post to bread thread.

Made this 'un a couple days ago.
If you guys want I'll post a crumbshot.

not too shabby!

sure, show us!

You're cheery, user, I like it.
Overall, it was a bit too bubbly for sandwich-making and stuff, so we just ate it with some coffee and butter.

Cut open a little too early I think.

:D
looks pretty good! what was your recipe?

yeah, you've gotta let it cool fully or else the crumb gets all fucked

Definitely underdone. OP fucked up.

Learned with the loaf after that one!

~2.5 cups water, a couple teaspoons salt, a couple teaspoons sugar, 2.25 teaspons yeast, and all purpose flour, though I forget how much right now.

It makes OK bread until it breaks.

Hey /Sour Dough General/, I've got a question. Started a starter recently and I just went to go feed it. It had a thin layer of hooch on it and the starter has lost its doughy consistency and is now more like a paste. All good? Keep feeding it as normal?

No mold/rotten smell? It's good. Stir it up, and feed it sooner next time.

what said. the hooch will actually make it taste a bit more sour, eventually!

Does monkeybread count in these threads?

Turned out better than I expect since I rarely make bread and this was my first try with something like this. I'm certain it could be much better.

>You can't buy this kind of bread in shops.
Yes that's because shops have to sell bread doesn't look like a dehydrated shit

I've never made monkeybread before, how do you do it?