Unironic Soylent discussion

All memes aside, what do you think of Soylent?

Nothing

unnecessary. just dont fucking eat if you dont need to.

only brown people drink this garbage
goddamn brown people

I personally find it pretty useless, if I want to grab something quickly to eat I just take two slices of bread, spread butter, add Salami or other sausages, cheese and slam these fuckers together. Takes roughtly as long but doesn't taste like a depressing dystopian novel.

If I had the money, I would only eat food on holidays and dates, and subsist on Soylent and fruits/veggies alone. It is like wearing the same outfit everyday. Don't think about what you will have for breakfast lunch and dinner, just grab one of the 3 options of Soylent in your kitchen and be on your way.

Cooking and eating is enjoyable, and I'm not some workaholic that has no time to spare.

My real problem with them is that they take up too much space for how little caloric density they have. A 14 ounce bottle for 400 calories? I burn about 2800 calories a day just at work, so that's an entire case that I need to store every 2 days. They just take up way too much space.

I was looking into bringing the powder with me while I went backpacking and yeah it's really fucking heavy for how many calories you're getting

drank the coffee version for a month
chalky as fuck and not very appetizing
basically just a protein shake mixed with a multivitamin
you're also not supposed to only drink it despite the fact that it's balanced as a dietary replacer
and the price isn't low enough to go full cyberpunk with it yet

basically just food for autismos who like pretend they're more robot than they actually are

I use Huel occasionally when I'm in a rush for work and don't have time to make lunch

Depressing.

are you indian

Ugh, brown people
Disgusting!

/shill/

It's a milkshake with all the joy removed.

I like the chocolate flavor ones. I've only had the original and coffee for comparison, though. I drank them for lunch when I was only allowed to have 15 minutes for lunch, and rushing a meal made me feel like shit.

My mom has been drinking my soylent because she's rapidly losing weight and can't really eat anything.

Other than that, soylent is pretty gross.

I don't believe anyone actually buys it
especially how it was so transparently a scam designed by someone with no nutrition background at all

I'm sure its just a failing company all together, and these threads are just part of the marketing they do.
for such a niche retarded item nobody has actually ever heard of it sure gets posted about here a lot. In fact if not for this very site I would never even know about it

Anyone else feel like cutting their dick off?

>t. whole foods shill

How does all that shit take roughly as long as taking a drink of something?

Fucking muscle milk has better macros than this shit

fake news

Would buy it regularly if it wasn't so expensive for the bottles. Add some instant coffee syrup and a little chocolate or other sugar and it doesn't taste bad. Plus find it pretty filling

It's cheaper with powder

My gf(male) keeps trying to get me to try it, but I heard it had heavy metals and shit in it.

A very inadequate competitor when compared to even walmart brand protein powder. It's aesthetics and supposed idealogy that's meant to appeal to skinny nerds (all just basic marketing) are the only thing that allows it to sell even a little bit.

I do believe Reviewbrah's word that it at least tastes decent, however.

it's just a protein shake rebranded for formerly bullied nerds who are scared of anything you can find in a GNC

I like it. The problem is it's expensive. Even the fucking powder is expensive.
Let's say you want to do the full on Soylent challenge and eat nothing but Soylent. 2000 calories a day. There are 4800 calories in one container of powder.
2000 * 30 = 60000 / 4800 = 12.5 containers of Soylent per month.
(The site will only let you add 9 at a time, so you have to add 9 to your cart, then go back and add the other 5.)
$442 a month one-time, before shipping.
$398 a month if you "subscribe."
$400 a month on food is a LOT for most people. You can Soylent DIY and basically eat oats and whey protein for a third of the cost.

how many grams of protein are in 2000 calories worth?

never mind, I looked it up
>20 grams per bottle
this is absolutely soyboi as fuck, it should have at least double that

enjoy your atrophy

Each bottle (or two scoops of powder) is a "meal" and 400 calories. You know you're supposed to drink 5 of them a day, right?

Stupid and not necessary.
Not providing enough calories.

100 grams of protein is enough to fill the daily requirements of a small woman
nowhere close to an actual adult sized man, especially one that exercises

Actual adult size man here. I think maybe you've been reading too many GNC brochures. I get about 80-90g a day and I ride 120 miles a week, with hills, and lift 3x a week. My performance suffers if I get much below that, but anything more is unnecessary and just gives me nasty farts.

1.25g per KG
I don't think you're adult sized if you are taking enough in

adult men > 200lbs

t. fat fuck

Also, I forgot to add: I eat a balanced diet with a lot of dark leafy greens, grass fed beef, fish, chicken, eggs, beans, etc. Obviously, if you're a fucking sperg who only knows how to make protein shakes and drink canned energy drinks, it's a wonder you're even alive. Fuck soylent, it's for man-children who take rippetoe's nutrition advice seriously

>adult mean >200 lbs
fucking americans need to leave Veeky Forums

>If I had the money
Doesn't it come to about $2 per bottle? How is that more expensive than any other meal you would normally eat?

He's probably eating rice and beans for every meal. I'd probably think artificially flavored meal replacement shakes were an exclusive luxury indulgence too, if that was me

see
and keep in mind bottles are more expensive than just powder

See

I didn't look into the powder, but the bottles are a little under $3 each. That doesn't seem very expensive for a single meal.

That is $15 a day to get 2000 Cal. That's 3 hours of work after taxes.

How much do you normally spend on food in a day?

If you do the Soylent challenge you have to drink 5 of those fuckers a day. $15 a day in food is $450 a month. Remember, they're only 400 calories a bottle.
And the reason why I keep referring to the Soylent challenge is because what's the point of only drinking Soylent for one meal a day? You can get Slimfast or Muscle Milk for cheaper at the store and not have to get it shipped to you. You could go to McD's for less, or buy TV dinners in bulk and take one for lunch every day.
If you're not doing the full meal replacement thing then there's not a lot of reason to drink Soylent instead of something else.

I spend about $75 a paycheck (biweekly) on food. Mostly produce and fresh meat nearing it's end of time at the local cheap grocery butcher.

I actually cook almost all my meals, and rarely eat out. I was just curious about the price because I can see the appeal of occasionally skipping having to cook up a meal and just grab a bottle instead. But I definitely wouldn't want to replace all my meals with soylent.

That's completely valid, but if that's what you want you should just buy Muscle Milk or something from the store instead.

>Muscle Milk
Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look next time, thanks.

>Muscle milk
They got busted for having high levels of cadmium probably because they were using the cheapest chinese whey they could get their hands on.

Never, ever buy that brand. Grass fed whey protein powder is always the best bet because it comes from either the EU or New Zealand, both of which have actual safety laws unlike the US

Well fuck.

I don't think it's really about not having enough time despite what some people might claim. I think the fact that eating feels like a waste of time in the first place is going to always be a consequence of a more fundamental sense of hate for eating. They don't want to spend time on it because it's actually unpleasant for them.

It's like 9 bucks a bottle. 30 bucks for like two days worth of mix. It's not cheap whatsoever, which kind of defeats the purpose of it.

>It's like 9 bucks a bottle
What? It's clearly not...

I don't think people drink it to save money either. Again, this is all coming back to how they hate eating.
Like if someone came up with a way to just give you a patch that distributed your calories for you throughout the day, these would be the people who would sign up for it.
I think this concept is difficult for most of Veeky Forums to wrap their heads around, but for some people, eating is a painful chore that fucks you over either way (don't eat and feel like shit or pick some unpleasant garbage to eat and feel like shit).
The best analogy for this might be to think about a recreational drug you really don't enjoy (e.g. if you like cannabis / downers, then maybe use crack cocaine for this thought experiment) and then imagine being forced to take that drug three times every day to keep from dying.

This is why I would eat only it and fruits and veggies if I could, it just costs way too much

I went by the Amazon price. Dunno where you guys are looking.

Overpriced and unnecessary.

direct from their website

The initial purpose when it was announced was to be a completely sustaining meal you could buy for cheap. It's not cheap, and barely sustains you for long periods of time, so what's the point?

And there are cheaper and better alternatives to this for Meth heads and whatever you were hinting at when referring to people who don't want to eat.
Not to mention all the bad shit they've had happen over the short course of their production.

My bad. I was looking at buying a single serving.
Either way that's expensive as fuck as a meal replacement.

>especially how it was so transparently a scam designed by someone with no nutrition background at all
Pretty much. I think my nutrition knowledge is pretty reasonable and if I were to attempt to design a similar product, it would be two separate shakes per meal (a larger one for macronutrients and a smaller one made mostly of fruit and vegetable powders) and would cost at least $5 per, probably more.

The ingredients used in soylent are trash and anyone with even the slightest bit of nutrition knowledge knows that there's more to health than just making sure you get enough fat/protein/carbs and taking a multivitamin. Drinking it exclusively for anything but the very short term is asking for a disease.

how the fuck hasent anyone said its made of people yet

Whey powder in general is very sketchy. Every time a study has been done on pollutants and heavy metals in whey powders, it's been bad. You absolutely need to pay for the highest quality you can find, preferably a company that tests their product for heavy metals and pollutants and publishes the results.

I had started Joylent because the hours I worked and lifestyle had me eating fast food all the time. i was feeling bloated and sick and out of energy. I started using Joylent as my breakfast, and my health started to get better. No more dark orange urine and strange bowel movements (other than those super smooth soylent shits). I got a little farty, but i imagine that's due to the additional fiber I was missing in my diet. Overall, I would do it again. Now, I am not working and have time to cook nutrient dense food, and haven't gone back to Joylent since, but I'm glad to know it's there if I need it.

Seems convenient.

because literally everybody was making that joke until it got stale when they first announced the product literally 5 years ago.

200lbs isn't overweight if you're not a manlet and have muscle.

Not jewish enough for me.

This, anyone over 6" that isn't a skellyfag would weight around 180-210.

>t. fatasses
It is your fault I have to look at fat fucks every day of my life. Stop normalizing unhealhty fucking lifestyles, I would like to not have to deal with lardos.

Why not simply get a sugary drink instead?

Because some people want perky man nipples that lactate. Is that so hard to understand?

>adult men > 200lbs
fuck off ripptits

>Getting paid $5 an hour

Fucking Americans

Cry harder, manlet.

this is the male version of "I have big boobs"

How much should a man over 6 feet weigh, tiny?

The same thing I think about every "diet/hippster"-food (and most processed food) = it's shit, but can be eaten, if you know your limits.

how long is a piece of string, fatty?

>t. triggered manlet

Didn't this bitch die?

I browse Veeky Forums and I'd sign up for that. I love food and I love cooking but I just can't take the stress caused by all the scientific data coming out every fucking day. One study says "eat eggs", other study says "eggs give you cancer", one says "milk has estrogen", other says "milk is great". I can't fucking keep up and I don't want to go vegan.

I don't like to accuse people of shilling but this actually reads like a paid shill testimonial

I bet i'm taller than you faggot