Tomorrow I have my company Christmas party. It's a dinner at a fancy restaurant, and everyone gets drink tickets...

Tomorrow I have my company Christmas party. It's a dinner at a fancy restaurant, and everyone gets drink tickets. This is my first event like this since I turned 21.

I have mostly stuck to beer since I started drinking. Is it frowned upon to order a beer in this kind of setting? What else should I order?

You're 21, and on /ck

I don't think you would know what a fancy restaurant is

Don't be the first to order drinks, watch what everyone else orders, and then go after them

Beer is ok kid

No one is going to care what you order. But you're not paying for it so you might as well experiment to see if you like anything

Beer is fine, but you might want to try something new since you've got a fancy bar at your disposal. You might just want to ask the bartender for a recommendation and go with that.

just order the person you most like in the room orders, if you're asked first, say let me think about it for a second and observe the person you most like

and beers totally ok

I can almost guarantee you it's not a fancy bar unless the op works in entertainment, or at a hedge fund, or certain kinds of tech startups. "Drink ticket" would suggest open bar with mid shelf stuff, and "the bartender" = someone opening bottles and making gins and tonic. Asking for a drink recommendation is like asking the waitress at TGI Friday's s what the chef recommends today.

It doesn't have to be a super fancy bar to get a recommendation autismo. And plenty of decent bars will do drink tickets for companies.

What if they only drink water?

At my chrissy party our boss put on a tab and it was ONLY beers, followed by a few nose beers if you catch my drift.

try perry/pear cider

Try not to be such a self obsessed cunt

If you're having food, wine is generally a good choice. But also do what this guy said Beer should be ok too. Don't go with a complicated cocktail or low brow shots like tequila or vodka.

At my last Christmas party I got slammed on some nice anejo tequila and I got a little too loose lipped about how I felt at my job (I was planning on quitting very shortly). So don't do that.

Wtf just get a double whiskey with 1 ice cube. It doesnt matter what kind. If anyone asks just say some random Irish word to get the panties wet and the dongs bulging.

Negroni
Cosmopolitan
Long Island Iced Tea

If you're relatively new to liquor and cocktails you should go simple. For super simple get a scotch on the rocks like the guy above suggested, or try a bourbon sour or Old Fashioned. If you prefer clear spirits maybe go with a proper gin Martini. I like mine with Bombay red label.

Make your tickets count and get long island iced tea.

I can't trust myself to go to corporate Christmas parties. I don't like drinking with others present anyway.

If you want a beer just pick whatever looks good on tap or bottles in the fridges, for mixers/cocktails just pick whatever looks nice off the list.

If you purely stick to light beer, alcopops or girly cocktails I will call you a massive gaylord tho

this is retarded, op stated he's only had beer so why would he dive in the deep end of simplicity. get a nice cocktail or something

Whiskey sour or whiskey ginger ale is solid

I'd say it all depends on what type of work you do. In my line of work (Hazmat) beer would be the choice for most of my co-workers. If you are in a office environment I'd suggest something simple like a whiskey coke or rum and coke.

order a Natural Light on draft if they have it or in a bottle or can

You'll be fine, honestly. A beer is totally acceptable, but if you order a shitty one people might chuckle. Otherwise just get a Manhattan or something, which nobody will disrespect.

>ordering beer at a fancy company party
I guess you don't really value your career.

Order whatever the fuck you want. Sounds like a terrible 'party' anyway. Just don't wild out.

drink ticket is the opposite of open bar

>Negroni

Best not to, most people will assume you just said something about "negro".

>Cosmopolitan
>Long Island Iced Tea

Unless you're a woman doing a Sex and the City marathon, then no.

OP said he's 21, wherever he's working I don't think he's going to be working there for very long.
Ordering a sloe gin fizz or an appletini isn't going to ruin his life

>If you prefer clear spirits maybe go with a proper gin Martini.

It's a good idea, but the problem is that if he's used to beer he's going to get smashed very quickly.

Agreed. A $10+ gin martini will hit him like a little boy.

>Is it frowned upon to order a beer in this kind of setting?
Absolutely not. Just get a beer and don't get fucking hammered like an idiot. And don't order any of these cocktails these neckbeards are recommending. Just get a beer. It's fine.

Op is probably long gone but I just wanted to comment on how awful these suggestions are. Negronis are not a good beginner drink because most people are turned off by the taste of Campari, it is extremely dry.

Cosmopolitan is an okay choice, if ordered confidently. But chances are, OP is a weird autist who will think he looks gay with a pink drink in a fru-fru martini glass.

LIT's are like when you are 15 trying to steal from your dad's liquor cabinet so you take a bit from each bottle so he doesn't notice you took any, then drown the god-awful flavor of that concoction with a strong mixer. If it really is a good bar, maybe they have quality sour mix, but most places use trash sour so it's not worth your time unless you're just in it to get a buzz as fast as possible.

Here in Texas, the go-to for a lot of people is a margarita on the rocks with a salted rim. Order it skinny to avoid any shitty bottled mixer (sweetened with agave if available).

That said, I bartended for 9 years, people would often ask what my favorite drink was, and I would say beer. Beer is great, stick with that if you aren't crazy about liquor.

You're 21, and on /ck
user said SINCE he was 21

Order what you like and own it. Don’t get something just for the need to be fancy. It will be worse if you’re sipping on something you don’t enjoy. You’ll feel silly and people will notice. Try new things when you’re in a more comfortable setting, like with your friends or by yourself. Have your beer and enjoy it.

Don’t be so concerned with looking fancy. I’ve been to office parties with people who make more than I do that order shitty light beer and other garbage. The thing is that they don’t care what others think.

>just b urself
There used to be a spergy dude at my work who had this attitude, he would order the weirdest shit and people legit made fun of him, not that anyone hated him but he was definitely an oddball and people talked. When the recession hit, guess who got laid off?

I'm not saying ordering the wrong drink gets you fired, but nobody likes to fire someone, and being the weirdo who doesn't fit in makes the decision a lot easier when you need to cut back. Point being, corporate drinking events have different rules than drinking with your friends for fun. Appearances do matter.

Oops sorry mean to reply to this guy

Go oldschool, have a mint julep.

had my company christmas party this week, dont remember it #YOLO nobody cares

>Cosmopolitan
Jesus fucking christ, do not do this unless you work for Vice and are trying to be "ironic"

This post is ultimate proof that flyover land is permanently 20 years behind the times

>ask the bartender for a recommendation and go with that.
who the fuck does that? what an autist reply

People who have to research "what do normies do" every time they're preparing to venture outside

Best part about living in Asia is that faggots like you don't exist. Beer is great, wine is great, and theres absolutely nothing wrong with a cocktail. Only edgy teens and barely legal 20 year olds think alcohol should be a punishment and think that all sweet drinks are a cop out.

>the only cocktails are cringy meme cocktails associated with a horrible TV show
t. engrish teacher who fucked up at life

>Letting the internet decide what you like
You're worse than the frat bros that only drink natty ice

>he thinks the internet is why the cosmo is stigmatized
I dunno what things are like in your cambodian sexpat village, but here in the real world you'll get a smirk or a weird look if you order a cosmo, no matter if it's a cheap dive bar or Death & Co or anything in between

It was never a good drink, and being associated with brain-dead transplants circa 2003 didn't help matters at all

One, OP is ordering a beer.

Two, I’m sure the guy wasn’t laid off primarily for his drink choice.

No shit appearances matter. It’s not like he’s going to the party in sweatpants and ordering cosmos. You’re putting too much stock in the little things.

Just get a beer, how hard is that?