What exactly is so good about New York pizza?

What exactly is so good about New York pizza?

NY pizza is a meme. Lasagna pizza is where its at.

Nothing, new yorkers have stockholm syndrome and have to convince themselves their shit is the best

a slice costs $1 so people can afford to live in Manhattan without starving

>tfw had ny pizza before
>I kind of prefer little caesars anyway
i-is this wrong?

My god that looks delicious.

You'll just have to visit and find a recommended pizzeria and try it yourself. It can't be explained. I've eaten pizza from fucking everywhere thinking "Well it's pizza. You can't fuck pizza up." only to discover that the pizza I know and love can only be gotten in NY and some places just outside it.

everything about new york city is a fucking abomination. overpriced, hurried, rude, sickly sweet poison.

Is that why it's so thin?

The mouthfeel. Crisp yet chewy, with hot, gooey cheese with the thin layer of warm sauce just beneath. 10/10

Looks greasy af and need to be crispier

Spotted the dumb tasteless faggot.

Eat your shitty ass pizza

This guy knows

New York pizza is a total meme. New Jersey Pizza is where it's at.

Jersey is a garbage dump. Nice try though.

This. Were it nuked tomorrow I would have no reaction other than a light chuckle. The movie Bushwick was a comedy.

>Mouthfeel

crispy crust, good sauce to cheese ratio, you can get slices for $1-2 or a whole pie for $16, delivered hot and fresh to literally any neighborhood in any borough.

I've been to NYC twice in my life. I'm hardly a pizza expert but I know a good slice. The shit I had in NY was head and shoulders above anything I've eaten west of the mississippi.

Its cheap ass pizza that people pretend is a delicacy. A slice is great value for a buck or two, but everyone who says its far better than other pizza are retarded.

i refused to see that movie after the trailer had them clearly getting off at the church ave g/f stop that was supposedly in bushwick

t. greaseburg yorker

This. It's just salty, greasy, good food that's cheap

You shut your whore mouth

This.

I have lived in NYC since 2014.

I grew up in Detroit.

Detroit has plenty of problems, but I've had better pizza and bagels there than in NYC.

There's nothing special about ordinary food in NYC.

i disagree, friendo. i'm from nc but have lived in nyc since 2011. the special thing about foods in nyc is the convenience, availability, and cost. sure, you can get pizza or a gyro in other places in the states, but can you get it for guaranteed delicious and cheap while drunk walking to the subway?

You can taste the chemicals from the water in the dough. New Yorkers expect that heavily treated tap water chemical taste in their food or else they freak out. Other than that its just standard ingredients

You can just get good pizza everywhere almost. It is a great city. I miss it.

The risk of getting mugged at any time. Very exciting

This scenario exists in many large cities, and most of them offer better quick and cheap options than NYC. NYC has a great culinary community but the cheap food is straight garbage.

idk

Cheap af. On every street corner. Open real late. Tasty when drunk.

thin crust is NYC

but 'go 'za is always the best

theres literally nothing special about new york pizza besides the fact that you're eating pizza that was made in new york. you might go to a place that has a lot of history and has been making pizza for generations but there can only be so many different ingredients and ratios that ANY other place could also be doing.
tl;dr it's actually a meme

it's not Chicago pizza

yeah cool good thread

There's nothing special about the generic floppy slice most folks refer to when they say "New York pizza". In most cases it's simply expressing a preference for pizza that's not overly doughy.

But New York has a history of pizza going back to at least 1905. Much of the country was introduced to pizza by Pizza Hut in the 70's. While there are places with distinct regional styles, like Detroit, Chicago and St Louis when much of the country thinks of pizza they think of chain shit. In New York you can get chain shit, too. You can also get shitty dollar slice pizza. But the culture of pizza goes a lot further than that. You can get pizza made in a 100 year old coal oven that's basically an American riff on Neapolitan pizza. You can also get actual Neapolitan pizza. And Sicilian. And Roman. We may have a ton of shitty pizza, but we also have a lot of great options that don't exist in other parts of the country.

Do you know where NYC gets its water from?

NYC is gentrified as fuck, you gotta be a retard to think this

This. It's easier to drop $50+ on truffle pizza here than it is to get mugged.

it's made with water that is contaminated with rat shit

I did that and it was the most underwhelming thing i'd ever had, besides that food in NYC was angering if not underwhelming.

>food in NYC was angering if not underwhelming.
The problem with NYC is that there are so many places to eat. Most are OK but very expensive because the rent is so high. Some places are terrible, but manage to stay in business by virtue of looking right and being in a great location. Plenty of places are amazing but crazy expensive. But the truth is that if you want to eat well for a reasonable amount of money in NYC you have to know the city. You can't just choose places at random or trust Yelp. Next time you come to New York read Robert Seitsema's reviews on Eater and follow his recommendations. It may mean a subway ride to some part of town you otherwise wouldn't go to, but it'll be worth it because this guy knows where the good stuff in NYC is.

it isn't chicago breadbowlsoup

I know what you are trying to explain, I haven't tasted it in a while though

agreed -- you've gotta know where to eat.

You can be a smug asshole about it and New Yorkers will back you up religiously.

Compare to Chicago-style where even Chicagoans will admit that it's not real pizza.

You have to find the right places as every shop tries to make their "own" style to make them stand out among bazillion other shops. You have to talk to people to find the best spots but once you do, you'll ask to pay rent so you can live there for the rest of your life.

only one 'go 'za, broheim