Skillets

So apparently some pros don't mind making omelettes with a fork because they have skillets that are resistant to scratching.
What kind of skillets can be used with a fork? I've heard some specially treated aluminium can do the job, is there a name for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aluminium, stainless, cast iron, copper, ceramic
basically anything not teflon or other similar non-stick coating will take it just fine.

Dont know about the special aluminum but cast iron and stainless steel are the main 2. I think copper and silver are ok as wel but dont quote me.

>ceramic
user..

if you go with cast buy a cheap one and refinish it yourself if you know someone with an orbital sander you can do it in a few hours and save 100$ and have a sense of pride in that pan

Why are you keen to make an omelette with a fork? I would think a spatula would be easier.

traditional specialized omelette pans are carbon steel.

Just whis your egg in a separate bowl with a fork and use non-stick pans, no need too scramble the ffucking egg right in the pan. I very much doubt you could get good results there anyway.

You have to scramble in the pan, otherwise you don't get the small curd needed for a good omelette.

>no need too scramble the ffucking egg right in the pan
yes you fucking do

Sorry, I meant "no need to WHISK it in the pan", my bad. Of course it needs to be scrambled in the pan, where else.

No, you don't. Listen, I've made countless omelettes in restaurants. You truly don't need to stir it in the pan, even if you're trying to develop large curds, because if you want to do the latter you simply stir the pan itself to make it french style.

Think about what a fucking omelette is (an undisturbed layer of evenly cooked egg) before superstitiously believing it needs to be further beat while cooking

>Think about what a fucking omelette is
A shaped scrambled egg. So yes, you have to scramble the egg in the pan. If you don't like that definition then you're just wrong.

The shape of an omelette comes from the pan not your fork or spatula.

Scrambling the eggs while they cook creates what you described, scrambled eggs. An omelette only needs to be poured in, shaken, flipped, and then served. If you scrambled it, you've made scrambled eggs.

You're the one muddling definitions.

The shape of an omelette comes from the pan not your fork or spatula.
this pleb uses pic related

Is this some new pasta? Well done.

Yeah, even pepin is in on it.

I dunno, I make a french omelette every other day in a non-stick pan and stir right in there with a fork. I just buy cheap $10 skillets and toss them when they scratch. They last me a year. Seems like a pretty reasonable tradeoff for perfect, but easy omelettes to me.

No. A good french omelette has a very consistent, small curd, soft set scrambled egg texture with a very thin, slightly firmer outer skin. It simply cannot be done without stirring the eggs in the pan for 30-60 seconds at the beginning prior to allowing the skin to form. Without stirring you'll get either wet jelly slime eggs or overcooked not-french-omelette style eggs.

Why cant i beat the egg outside of the pan and fry with butter?

If youre only making omelettes i reccomend plastic forks, i saw pepin scratch the shit out of his in that video and since i dont have a pan a show i went with hard plastic. works like a charm. it doesnt burn since you have to keep it moving. I use a basic non stick pan. 0 scratches and i make an omelette a day

I guess ill post the link since no one has
this is the reference op is going for.

youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU

Protip: It taste better this way, but theres a bunch of videos of Gordon Ramsey saying the other way is better. Its not.

also i use this pan

Farberware Restaurant Pro Aluminum Nonstick 8-Inch Skillet, Silver

its 16 bucks on amazon, holds 3 eggs. if you want to spend more go for a ZWILLING Madura Plus as it doesnt have the bolts there to get in the way. ill probably change to one soon. right now the 8 inch is 40 on amazon the 9.5 is probably good for 4 eggs and its 45.

Just grab a carbon steel pan user. They are around 20 bucks and will last you a lifetime.
they are cheap enough to be a dedicated "omelet pan"

>Scrambling the eggs while they cook creates what you described, scrambled eggs. An omelette only needs to be poured in, shaken, flipped, and then served. If you scrambled it, you've made scrambled eggs.

Not according to Escoffier and every cooking school. it's a shaped scrambled egg. Pic related.

you can get nylon forks that don't scratch your teflon to shit. Calphalon makes a set for like $20 on amazon

Do it with Chopsticks, its even easier, specially por french style omelette.

Copper is a negative

Unironically this, it's how I learned to make omelettes because I could never flip them right using anything else, but tilting the pan back and using chopsticks gives me a perfect omelette every time