See this in my fridge

>see this in my fridge
>have never really recognised/paid attention to this condiment
>open it up
>smell it
>die instantly

who the fuck likes this shit. It smells like a dead stray rabid cat who lived on the docks of Jakarta.

Squid is an appallingly bad brand of fish sauce. Also how is this thing in your fridge and you've never recognized it.

You only use a small amount while the dish is cooking so the funk gets cooked out and leaves behind a wonderfully salty/savory flavor. Besides, it doesn’t smell that bad.

What are some good brands?

How long was that in your fridge before you discovered it?

It was like two thirds full and at the front of the condiment shelf, it's been bought and used recently

Put a few squirts in while you are doing a stir fry, it cooks and tastes different.

Your loss my man. Fish sauce and some raw bird's eye chili take stir fry from a 0 to 60.

Save some space. You don't need to refrigerate that.

Its a replacement for anchovies in nearly all dishes. Its more concentrated. If you don't understand the purpose of anchovies or fish sauce as an ingredient you're probably a bad cook

Use it in place of Worchestershire Sauce.
It isn't as floral and let's the other ingredients shine through.
It's pure, concentrated umami.

Wait till you hear about fucking shrimp paste, god damn it smells vile

The fuck're you on about? Squid is the best bangforthebuck fish sauce out there. It's better, even, than several more expensive brands.

it's a fucking condiment you dumb nigger. you wouldn't chug a bottle of worchestire sauce or a bottle of soy sauce would you

Red Boat my dude

My mum uses this in her chicken stir-fry and it's fucking delicious

I add it to my currys and some stir frys, it helps bring everything together and adds a sweet savory touch

Best fish sauce brand.

>implying he even likes anchovies when he is appalled by fish sauce

mix it with lime juice, sugar & fresh chilli,
That's like thai condiment no 1, makes a great salad dressing too

>thai condiment no 1
It's pretty much everywhere in South-East Asia

alright lad i don't really know about the nuances of jungle niggers and what goes where but those crafty little devils know what's up when it comes to food

Now you know

This. Once it's cooked in a dish it's bretty good. Straight out of the bottle it smells like Jared Fogle's unwashed taint. Trust me; I'm a teenage girl.

This shit right here is goat. It's a must in tom yum soups. As another user mentioned it's great as a dipping sauce as well.

Fish sauce and anchovies are rarely used as the featured ingredient

These guys know what's up
The difference in quality between name brand and bottom shelf fish sauces is noticeable.

Word of caution: Do not be fooled into buying 3 Crab's weaker imposter, 5 Crabs. It is a trap designed to fool you

Don’t tell me what to do user

3 crabs is the best I've tried so far. Haven't tried Red Boat yet though

Red Boat is kinda pricey but the best out there. 3 crabs is good. that shit in the Op kinda blows

>making dish
>recipe calls for fish sauce
>open bottle
>smells identical to ex girlfriend's pussy
>have depressing nostalgia trip
I quite like using it, makes things taste a lot more complex.