Redpill me on kiritsuke knives

Redpill me on kiritsuke knives.

Kiritsuke knives are a hybrid design combining features of Japanese usubas and yanagibas. Usubas are dedicated vegetable knives while yanagibas are used to slice raw fish for sushi, as a consequence the kiritsuke is intended as a general purpose knife for use in preparing traditional Japanese cuisine. Many kiritsuke knives retain the single bevel design of the usuba and yanagiba so users should be aware of what using and maintaining single bevel knives entails. A number of makers now produce double bevel kiritsukes, often called kiritsuke gyutos, for western users who appreciate the striking aesthetics of the profile but need the added versatility of a double bevel grind. The kiritsuke’s reverse tanto profile makes the pointed tip very nimble but also delicate while the flat profile lends itself well to chopping and push cutting. Users who like the aesthetics of the kiritsuke might also consider a banno bunka, a smaller knife with a similar profile.

Looks too straight for sinusoidal cutting motion but curved just enough to make sharpening more complicated than it needs to be.

to understand the 'tsuke you must understand the recent knife memes

first there was the 'toku. then 'achel 'ay made them popular, and they were no longer cool. but people still wanted to be special and different. 'yutos were unacceptable. therefore a new knife was born, and it was made more expensive: the 'tsuke.

soon, 'achel 'ay will make her own cheap branded 'tsuke out of 420 HC, and the cycle will continue

Kys

>'tsuke
Kiritsuke
>'toku
Santoku
>'achel 'ay
Rachel ray
>'yutos
Guyto

I've actually had a bunka for years and it's pretty sweet as a general purpose cook's knife

A 'tsuke is *like* a 'toku in the sense of how it fits in with the meme economy

A 'ka literally *is* a 'toku, in all senses other than the name used to refer to it

>for western users

For Nip users too. Single-bevel is really for when you're doing traditional cooking and want to present it real nice, which is more of a chef skill and less of a housewife skill.

Can we turn this into a general knife advice thread? My inlaws offered to buy us apple watches this xmas but we don't want them, and I'm thinking of asking for a really good set of knives instead (I'm a stay at home waifu and like 40% of my waking hours are consumed in cooking for him; it's almost more of a gift for him than for me). Price point I have to work with is the cost of 2 apple watches, so like 600-800 USD.

Oh, and to add

>We eat almost no meat at home so knives super specific to meats are unnecessary
>I cook mostly Japanese traditional food, so this kiritsuke redpill information interests me
>I literally cook with Ikea knives right now so anything is an upgrade

Spread it out so that it's 1/3 on the knives, 1/3 on the sharpening gear, and 1/3 on the board and the knife bar

Good knives and shit tier everything else is a waste

This is good advice, thank you.

I have a friend who raves about his self-sharpening block, is he full of shit or are those genuinely a good idea to consider? note that I've never sharpened a knife in my life.

I don't know what a self-sharpening block is

If you're spending 40% of your waking hours fucking around in the kitchen, then you'll probably want to learn to freehand. For most people it's a waste of time and I'd say get a chef's choice or an edgepro apex, but since you're doing Japanese food you'll be wanting Japanese knives and therefore to be a proper weeaboo you'll want Japanese stones. At the moment the memesters are in love with Shapton Kuromaku Japan Domestic line, because it's the same as another line of stones that costs a lot more abroad

Also, you should learn to freehand on cheap knives first, and by "learn" I mean get pretty good at. It's easy to learn but takes a while to get really good, especially to get good at different kinds of steels and shapes/styles of blade

God bless you

>"redpill" me on a kitchen utensil
saged

t b h I do not want to have to sharpen my own knives unless I absolutely have to. That's why the sharpening block is appealing - but right now, I just take my knives in every so often when my local markets do a sharpening fair, and with good knives I was planning to do that, just probably more frequently.

((Global))ists are promiting the use of kuro-uchi due to their shiro-guilt and desire to darken the pure hagane of our ancestors. Even when using non-kuro-uchi they will ((Shun)) mirror finishes and resort to using ((mud stones)) in order to pull the kasumi over our eyes.

The truly redpilled use knives with at least 10% chromium in order to protect our mirror finishes.

Yeah, well in that case stick with Fibrox knives and get a Chefs Choice. I'm not trying to be pretentious here - it's literally a waste of time to get anything fancier than that, if you're just going to take them to the "sharpening fair"

...Are you talking about honing, rather than sharpening? Of course I hone my own knives. It's actually sharpening them that I leave to professionals. Your recommendation is literally lower quality than what I'm already working with.

"Hone" is an extremely ambiguous term, usually used by people who have the erroneous belief that it refers to using a grooved steel to straighten the edge of a softer knife. Is that what you're referring to? That's something you do to touch up a blade in between sharpenings. There is nothing particularly special about it and most people do it wrong, so at best I would consider that irrelevant to the question of Chef's Choice. At worst, you may want to consider not doing that anymore.

You said you're working with a "sharpening fair" - that to me suggests you're giving them to people with with motorized wheels with no coolant whatsoever. That is why I suggested you go with a Chef's Choice as it's no worse and quite likely better than what they're doing. Additionally, there is no point in spending hundreds of dollars, or even $100, on a knife that you're going to treat like that.

this

You shouldn't use it, it's too unwieldy. Go for a bunka instead

>600-800 dollars.
>Weeaboo shit
>Currently using garbage.

Here's an idea.

I'm betting you're clueless on metal care so go with stainless over carbon steel.

One primary chef's knife. A gyuto, santoka or something similar. Something that can slice, and rock chop.

One vegetable cleaver. A nakiri or usuba, For chopping. A very flat blade.

Allocate a significant amount to maintainance and other shit, say 30 percent.

If you have anything left over, get a petty knife or utility knife.

Also consider a deba if you cook with shit like squash that requires a lot of force.

> deba if you cook with shit like squash that requires a lot of force.
Or just get a thin blade that can cut squash without wedging. Brute force doesn’t solve anything. This isn’t a fish bone

trips of truth

>I literally cook with Ikea knives right now so anything is an upgrade
dont be so sure of that, the Ikea 365+ knife is pretty good. I have much more expensive knives in my collection that dont cut nearly as well.

>I just take my knives in every so often when my local markets do a sharpening fair
please dont do that, most of the hacks on those "fairs" will just ruin you knives with powertools and the rest will overcharge you. Its a better idea to send the knives to a professional sharpener, look up some names on kitchenknifeforums.com.

wtf user

Based.

Jesus its like reading the madara uchiha copypasta

I would get an 8-10 inch gyuto depending on how often you breakdown large vegetables. A nakiri is also great for cutting vegetables, I use mine for damn near everything. Aside from those you dont need many more knives. Everything else is a toy or something you pick for aesthetics. A nice paring nice is also great for cutting small fruits like strawberries or vegetables like brussel sprouts. I would pick out a couple nice knives from a reputable website like japanesechefsknife . com. Get a ceramic honing rod to keep the blade straight and a nice thicc cutting board. Maybe some grit stones if youre bout that life. I sharpen my knives about once every two weeks.

Posts like these are why I visit Veeky Forums.

STOP WASTING STEEL

He hasn't said how much he sharpens them, and on what. A few strokes on each side on a 3000 or 5000 grit stone will keep an edge sharp indefinitely and cost barely any steel.

just picked up this knife last week for $120.

Nothing too fancy, shirogami #2 core steel, iron cladding. All reactive steel (I wanted something that would patina)