Rank the megaregions by food

Rank the megaregions by food.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=Florida man&tbm=nws
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing good ever comes from cities. A good wholesome small town gives you best food straight from your local farm.

I'm not terribly experienced with all this cuisine, but I'd say something like
Northeast>Gulf Coast>Socal>Cascadia>Norcal>Florida>everything else
I'm shaky on my Gulf Coast placement because I really loved the food when I visited New Orleans, but I don't know how representative it is of the whole region.

>this is what flyovers actually believe

I went to a flyover wedding a couple of years ago totally psyched for some wholesome small town food. I got in a day early and wanted to explore. So I rented a cage, drove from the flyover airport for like 3 hours to a bumfuck place without any chain restaurants. I was like ok, here it is, the "real America" that inbreds are always bleating about online.

I did a bunch of autistic research to find the most old timey "home town" restaurant, and found it. I put on the dad jeans that I specifically brought for the occasion, and a plaid shirt, untucked of course, and some outdated athletic shoes. Walked in, got a table for one.

Everything looked very authentic. Formica countertops, big hair ladies, beer bellies, overweight children drinking milk or soda, adults drinking soda or terrible looking beer from nursing home glasses. The food looked terrifying but I know from eating many international cuisines that one cannot always judge by looks alone. So I ordered. Veal with, if I recall correctly mashed potatoes and gravey. Very American right? And a glass of milk on the side.

Needless to say it was appallingly bad. Cracker barrel has better food than that. The mashed potatoes were from flakes, the gravey tasted slimy, the veal was some kind of foamy puck, suspiciously oval shaped, coated in a batter and deep fried.

I ordered Jello with whipped cream for dessert because 'murica, right? That was the only edible thing in the whole meal.

tl;dr if your plane goes down in flyover land, don't ever listen to the flyovers, just go to McDonalds. And now you know why terrible restaurants like McDonalds and Cracker Barrel are considered gourmet fine dining there

New Orleans is for tourists. So if you want the better food go a little more inland or away from New Orleans

I know you are trolling but you sound like a cuntifornian.

I'm from NYC. Why do you people think everyone you don't like is from California?

That was my second guess.

A whole lot of cunts live in cuntifornia.

Hell even the statistics say a lot of cunts live there.

that is some nica pasta you got there user

>everything longer than I can post from my phone is pasta

And carriage returns are from reddit, right?

>las vegas is roped into southern california
what is this shit

I'd just be glad they didn't name it the "desert shithole" region

1. Gulf Coast
2. Texas Triangle
3. Great Lakes
4. Northeast
5. Front Range
6. Piedmont Atlantic
7. Northern California
8. Arizona Sun Corridor
9. Southern California
10. Cascadia
11. Florida

At least based on my tastes and experiences. Have lived at least one year in all those regions except for Florida, though have visited there a number of times. The real number one is just east of Houston near Beaumont where the Triangle and Gulf cuisines collide.

Like it or not major population centers are major concentrations of wealth. Traditionally the people who ate the best were those with some money in a place with a good concentration of wealth and those in rural areas with a tradition of good country cooking. Today very few people in rural areas still cook traditional good country cooking. Instead they cook like Rachel Ray using ingredients from Walmart. In much of the country the closest you can get to good country cooking is Cracker Barrel. Real American regional country cooking is still only alive and well where specific groups (Cajun, Amish) have actively kept it alive as part of their culture. So whose left eating well beyond those folks? People in the major population centers. Not all of them, mind you, but those who give a shit about food and have a few bucks in their pockets certainly are.

Currently live in the “Piedmont Atlantic” region, food is pretty fucking good imo. Lots of great native cuisine as well as international influences/restaurants. In the cities you can eat Mexican for breakfast, have Turkish for lunch, and finish of the day with tapas and wine. There are breweries and wineries all over the region turning out more local brews than you can count, and there are even distilleries making “legal” (50-60% abv) moonshine nowadays. Comes shipped in glass jars to reflect the old traditional moonshine, and just like legit moonshine it can be bought infused with fruit or spices. In the countryside, you’ll find barbecue joints, real moonshine, boiled peanut stands, fruit tree orchards, and berry fields. Good eating all around I’d say.

>So I rented a cage,
A cuck cage?

>just moved from florida to the texas triangle

So how do I make the most of my good fortune?

> are major concentrations of wealth
If by "Because the 1% lives there", then yes.
Otherwise no, everybody in metro areas tends to be broke as shit, even the ones making beaucoup bucks end up seeing most of it flushed away because of the ridiculous costs of living.

>Today very few people in rural areas still cook traditional good country cooking.
So you've never been in any rural area for very long, then?
You do know that "rural" doesn't mean "trailer trash", right? Most rural areas still do homecooked everything because farms are more accessible than any grocery store is.

Never been to the USA and i dont plan to go there but one question

Why is everyone shitting on florida all the time?

Mosquitoes, alligators, methheads, tons of old people, constantly getting wrecked by hurricanes, nothing there makes any sense, and the only redeeming part (Miami) is disgustingly overcrowded all the time.

>t inbred hick
you will never amount to anything, cletus

It's a horrible mixture of cubans, meth addicted rednecks, and old people. It's an awful place.

honestly only in big cities where the competition is tight can you find a sort of culture where almost anywhere you go is pretty great. I love the cascadia area especially over the last 10 years where they've really stepped up their game but NYC is the best at everything. Even BBQ that blows the shit the south is constantly idolizing and slobbering over away

So in other words, feed corn and soybeans all summer, and local artisanal HFCS to get you through the winter?

>everybody in metro areas tends to be broke as shit
Obviously you've never been. Plenty of folks in cities have lots of dough because even though living costs are high so are a lot of peoples' incomes. Paying $4k a month for your apartment might not be all that outrageous when you're pulling down $180k a year. But those who aren't can still do well. I've lived in NYC twice where my monthly nut for my apartment was under a grand. Now is one of those times because I bought a place in an unfashionable neighborhood years ago. Since my living expenses are so low and my wife works as well I don't have to earn all that much to take advantage of the great food available to me here. Those earning less and paying more in currently unfashionable neighborhoods are usually surrounded by immigrants who sell lots of delicious foods for cheap - including stuff you can't even find outside of major cities.
>Most rural areas still do homecooked everything because farms are more accessible than any grocery store is.
Not in my experience, which includes traveling across the country a bunch of times and having a bunch of rural relatives. Local farms can produce the best ingredients in season, but for everything else most folks are at the mercy of Walmart, which puts locally owned businesses out of business. Even if a local supermarket is there as an alternative most of the food available is not of very good quality. Very few people in rural America can make a case for the "we eat better than city folks" fantasy that was probably true for many in their great grandmother's day. It's certainly not true when it comes to their shopping and dining out options.

The irony is that in rural or small town areas people generally live on good sized lots even in subdivisions that could produce many of their own vegetables if they weren't so lazy or brainwashed by the chemical companies into needing to maintain a pristine yard of worthless chemically drenched grass. For example, I live in the midsouth on 3 acres and have 3 growing seasons. The only produce we need to buy are citrus fruits, beans, rice and flour. People don't realize the quantity of produce you can get off of even 1/4 acre. It's a shame really because the benefits of living in flyover areas are dirt cheap land and housing.

But you're right, groceries are terrible and the small locally owned ones even worse than walmart. They sell the lowest grades of meat fit for human consumption.

Only go there for disney world.

soon

>best bbq is in the middle of nowhere
>best taquerias look like the buildings are about to collapse
>become friends with a redneck and buy venison off him, fry it
>become friends with a Mexican and buy his grandmother's tamales
>Whataburger is the best fast food chain
>HEB is a quality grocer

The rest is meh

>>Whataburger is the best fast food chain

Why is Florida cuisine so shitty? The only thing we can even claim as our own is fucking conch fritters and I’m allergic to those. Key lime pie is good but it’s dessert not food

Living in Texas has spoiled me. I took a trip to Wyoming and ate at a diner there. It was absolutely awful and made me miss Texas. Like how can you fuck up a chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes slathered in gravy? The chicken fried steak was so rubbery and chewy, and the mashed potatoes were runny, almost like a soup. The gravy was on the side and was the only edible thing aside from the fried.

HEB guacamole. Better than any abuela could make

By food. Do you mean food available or food originated

fries**

what is it with wyoming? i visited for the eclipse and the tiny steakhouse in town served a huge steak with zero char and zero seasoning. i'm not kidding, not one grain of salt or flake of pepper had touched it.

our potatoes came out late because they said they had to make more. they were tiny and baked until they were the consistency of leather.

it was so crazy i had to wonder if that's just what they serve to tourists

Was it a small town near Yellowstone? That's the only reason I visited the state.

what the fuck is cascadia?

new york is worse

>disgusting blizzards
>shit train systems with homeless and crazies taking over
>riots/overcrowding/too dense
>summers are too short
>nasty foodcart vendors

New York State is beautiful.
NYC is a shithole.
Don't conflate the two.

>broadway shows are a fucking joke
>timesquare is a tourist hole with nothing to do the prices for any popular food there are jacked up the ass
>coney island is so fucking dangerous at night with bums junkies and crazies filling up the place >nathans is salty as fuck with a regular sodium packed dog at $4.12 a piece
>seen street food vendors picking their nose and coughing on the food and have seen pigeons eating from halal stands
>restaurant bathrooms don't have a hook for you to hang your stuff
>the stupid street performers awing the tourists like morons
>trains keep shutting down or rerouting with little to no announcement prior to you buying your ride
>shitty snow that slows down traffic with a slushy mess
>its a terrorist hotbed
>no thanks

new york is filled with subhumans

Yet there's:
>some of the best restaurants in the country
>cuisine from all over the planet
>plenty of opportunity
>incredibly cheap food in immigrant neighborhoods
>the ability to reinvent yourself whenever you want in careers that don't even exist in other places

>Obviously you've never been
Lived in SF for 3 years, Seoul for 4. Nobody ever had any fucking money.
> when you're pulling down $180k a year.
Extremely uncommon.

>and having a bunch of rural relatives
Tip: If you have access to a walmart, you're not very rural. You're probably visiting relatives in flyover zones in population hotspots, not out in farmland (i.e. actual rural areas, not medium sized towns). If you go anywhere off of I-84 in my state, there's not a single chain grocery store to be found except an albertsons scattered once every 400 miles.

where did I say ny was beautiful faggot?

this

but im also from jersey and people shit on us all the time. we really do have some nice towns, but its not large or many.

see this

>some of the best restaurants in the country
As rated by new yorkers
>cuisine from all over the planet
That you can find literally anywhere else
>plenty of opportunity
Is that why every other person who lives there is a cab driver, grocery clerk, or in the food industry?
>incredibly cheap food in immigrant neighborhoods
Relative to everything in NYC, I guess. Still overpriced as shit compared to anywhere else in the country.
>the ability to reinvent yourself whenever you want in careers that don't even exist in other places
A) You can do that anywhere that isn't some podunk town
B) Careers that don't even exist elsewhere? Like fucking what, shouting CLEARANCE SALE! at the top of your lungs outside a chinatown gift shop?

Are cubans fat?

>restaurant bathrooms don't have a hook for you to hang your stuff
So if I have a rucksack and I need to take a shit, do they just expect me to rest it on the nasty ass floor?

new york state is a frozen shithole faggot

>Massive coastcuck essay
Wow, that guy just RAVAGED your anus, didn't he

USA looks like a dangerous slum land if you dare to venture out of the tourist hot spots.

If I was going to fly that far I'd just go to Canada or even South America.

Front Range gave us Chipotle.
I don't need to say anything more

Florida is actually really nice, but its also REALLY damn crazy.

Not "crazy" like, "I'm going to behead you a throw gays off of rooftops" crazy, or "You're under arrest for buying a deadly assault spoon" crazy, but a very specific kind of "florida crazy", like Disney-flavored Meth.

>u buthurt!
lol

Why are these California cunts so sensitive?

Maybe don't launch into essays at the slightest provocation and you won't be identified as a huge pussy?

yup

nailed it

>ITT people have eaten at one restaurant while driving through a huge ass region and base their ratings off of it

kys

Why are Americans so patriotic?
Do they brainwash you from birth until you actually believe that USA is #1?

>Do they brainwash you from birth until you actually believe that USA is #1?
The truth doesn't require brainwashing.

Yeh but it's not 1990, nobody wants to be like Mike anymore.

google news search "Florida man"

google.com/search?q=Florida man&tbm=nws

Yes. The kids are forced to swear an oath to the flag every morning and every Hollywood movie portrays America as the country equivalent of a Mary Sue -
Always the best, always right, never defeated

>Forced
You can sit it out, and pretty much everybody hits their edgy BUT AMERICA ISNT REALLY THE BEST!!!! phase by the time they're 11 or 12. It's a self-fixing problem.

that was my first post in this thread, shortbus. you’re projecting hard right now.

>someone posted a couple of paragraphs on a social communication site
>omfg, what is this guy dojng LARPing as Noam Chomsky or something?

t.butthurt in and out fag

>reading and writing is a real challenge to me

Were you home schooled by evangelical christians?

They chose to be a bunch of dumb cunts and cunts, and as we all know that's the worst kind of cunt there is. If Shakespeare were writing their collective life stories, it'd take up an entire library. And it would be bound together in a big long story called "To be a cunt or not to be a cunt" and when people read it, they'd realize pretty early that they chose to be fuckin cunts.