What should I look for in buying a supermarket ham?

what should I look for in buying a supermarket ham?
Brand? Cut? Can you buy non sliced?
No need to say order from my butcher, he carries supermarket stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/12/maple-glazed-city-ham-recipe.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Go to a different butcher

Waitrose or M&S, user.
You won't get quality meat at any other supermarket.

>omg i need to order a ham!
>6 days until christmas, just now I am thinking about getting the main event
What the fuck why do people do this. I had so many people at my store after fresh turkeys THE DAY BEFORE thanksgiving. How do you know you're in charge of getting the turkey and having a meal without doing any god damn planning. When ordering through a butcher usually shipping is like 4-5 days in the first place. If they're doing it locally good for you but not every has the luxury.

>thanks giving is tomorrow!
>better go buy the turkey, that I will flip my shit over if I cant get, at the last second!
Why. Are people really this incompetent?

Flyover. If I had early warning then i could have put in an order at an amish pig farm, but alas. the butcher owns all 4 shops in my town.

>6 days until christmas
If you can't get an order out in six days, close your doors.

>hey it's july 4th better start thinking about winter!
fuck off

Bar-S is bar none the best!

>implying people wont be trying to place orders with 5 days left... then 4... then 3 up until the day of
>it's your fault people can't plan.
wew...

>>hey it's july 4th better start thinking about winter!
Literally put words in my mouth harder. If you can. Please tell me your experience.

>Please tell me your experience.
6 days is plenty of time, unless you are wanting it from a coop farm.

Where I live is not secluded nor is it in the sticks. It takes 4-6 days to get orders.
Please tell me your experience and how fast you can get special order product.

>Please tell me your experience from special order
Amish farms. If I have to place the order a season in advance then fuck off, why go to a butcher?

Why the fuck are you business? I can order a ham from Amazon with prime.

Not every location has amish farms. I have them around my area actually but they do not take orders or anything like that. Count yourself lucky that you have fresh pork and ham available to yourself but realize that is not how 99.99% of other people do it.
>a season in advance
When the hell did anyone say that. All I want is for people to order more in advance than under a fucking week. What is so hard to understand about this.
>christmas in 6 days
>better wait until friday to order my shit, and if they can't do it fuck them!
^you right now.

>get ham in 2 days
>80 dollars for a 8 pound ham
>comes in box that wasnt temperature controlled
>meal is ruined, yes you can get a refund but meal is still ruined
>now you have to go to the store the day before christmas looking for fresh ham
.... are you a fucking moron?

Also normal people don't buy their food off amazon.

You dumb self important nigger. You add no value to the customer. I can order a fucking wet cured ham from the smokehouse online.
>comes in box that wasnt temperature controlled
Hahahah. retard.
You do know they have tech that can do this right?

I see you understand nothing. My words are completely lost on you. Enjoy your order.

>I see you understand nothing.
I see you don't understand modern supply chain.
go out of business.

>6 days until christmas
>shipping is like 4-5 days in the first place

Gee whiz you must be retarded

It's even funnier when you double down.
Hello, I see you've never worked in a shop.

No, I work in a laboratory. I'm sorry all the people who don't order hams 2 months in advance are so mean to you.

>2 months in advance
Again... Just more than I need these chemicals synthesized from scratch
>and I need it today, asap; and if you can't do it it's your fault. My grandmother needs these chemicals and you will RUIN our holiday. I haven't seen my uncle in four years and I won't have these chemicals for him!?

I liked the 'go out of business' comment too lmao

Pic related, no idea whose company it is but it's fresh meats.

So, Supermarket hams?

Lol, why order from a butcher when you can order from the smokehouse? they all have free shipping now.

>church gave me 4lbs of leftover ham and 1lb of ham juice from Christmas dinner last night
>froze 3/4s of it

Fuck yes. This is how you make a man happy.

>if you can't get an order out in six days close your doors
why should they? clearly they have the business to sell out completely. If they're doing good enough business to be out of stock, they're doing well. Just because you're a mong who can't plan for a massive even even 2 weeks out doesn't mean they have a flawed business.

because Amazon/online will have their business.
He adds nothing to customer value other than being an unnecessary middleman.
They are supplying to geriatrics who are scared of internet purchases and when they die off, then goodbye business.

Why would you not have free shipping? Like that's a buying point..
Anyway, I didn't say you have to, but if you think more than 1% of people buying turkeys or hams do it online you're mentally disabled.
Yuck. Buying in bulk from reliable retailers and professionals results in a lower price. The trick is that it all has to be done at once, ergo the 'ordering at the last second' kind of throws a wrench into delivery gears causing problems and last minute updates.

But some user doesn't understand the benefits of ordering through a shoppe so they will just buy their own. Exactly like everyone else does.

>shoppe
So not American. Ok you'll stay in business, 3rd worlders aren't internet savvy

Nevermind guys, Just ordered a ham. Will be here before x-mas.

/thread

Do you honestly think that the majority of people order their food online? what kind of NEET..... nevermind.
Just realize that when ordering in bulk from companies and 'smokehouses' as you've said results in a lower overall price. So buy your ham if you want off amazon and hope nothing bad happens to it while normal people actually get to inspect their goods with an additional level of security.

By all means order online, it doesn't effect anyone. At all. But the next time you want fresh steaks cut you'd better suck that butchers dick and say 'thank you' afterwards.

But I am american living in america getting american beef pork and poultry? Do you not know that there are still privately owned butcher stories and companies?...

>get ham
>??????
>profit
Enjoy user. You are part of the

>Enjoy user. You are part of the

Actually as I've said before it's a mark DOWN due to buying in bulk. But again, enjoy! But if something goes horribly wrong, please call your local place before you show up in a panic.

This whole conversation started from talking about people demanding orders and products at the last minute.
>I need a hand crafted dining table for christmas!
>'ma'm that's tomorrow'
>WELL YOU'D BETTER GET TO WORK THEN
Rude.

>This whole conversation started from talking about people demanding orders and products at the last minute.

A business week isn't last minute to normal businesses.
But again, you add no value to the customer if you can't do last minute.
I mean, what value DO you think you are providing?

idk I'm not the one claiming to add value to anything :s I suppose a lower price, quality social interaction and the security of on-the-spot customer service?

What are you looking for here user? Did someone in retail fuck your wife?

>chemicals synthesized from scratch
>hand crafted dining table
vs.
>a fucking ham

Theres a reason noone is taking you seriously, user. Your analogies are fucking retarded.

>I suppose a lower price
You think you can undercut amazon?
>social interaction
The fuck? Nobody wants smalltalk from the fucking high school drop out (aka butcher)
>security of on-the-spot customer service?
You mean saying "no" unless you've ordered 2 weeks in advance.

yeah, great value if you are a shut-in geriatric whose family quit visiting.

You shouldn’t be buying ham at all. It’s trash meat. Tastes like ass.

Buy chicken tenderloin breasts, salmon, ground beef or sirloin. Anything but hog. Bacon is good but every other cut of pork is absolutely garbage.

>bacon is good
>the memest cut of any type of meat ever

People like you confound me.

Order from a better butcher

This whole post confirms your total lack of real world experience.

except clearly he does, because, again, he's completely out of stock.
Butchers aren't an unnecessary middleman. They actually, y'know, butcher the meat. Farms don't ship out ground beef and steaks. Live animals are sent to butchers and slaughterhouses where they're killed, cut and processed.

Amazon actually IS a middleman, because they buy the meat from butchers and slaughterhouses after they've done the work.

Which is why the only way to undercut butchers on price is to do an absurd volume, and this necessitates lower quality control.

It's like you think meat just appears as a finished food ready to eat on the farm?

This post is a lie; everything is magic, and you're smart for ordering online. Do not listen to this user.

Are you talking about a whole ham for roasting?

When shopping most butchered meats, you should look for meat that appears moist but not wet, with even cuts (no raggedness). And if its packaged, try to find one without liquid in the bottom (although this might apply more to stuff in trays as opposed to a wrapped ham.

>Butchers aren't an unnecessary middleman.
They are. He adds no value when ordering a ham. he does nothing to the ham other than hand it to me. Unless he cures/smokes it himself, he is of no value. hell he even bitches when I ask for a ham. Fuck him.

>. hell he even bitches when I ask for a ham
>>he said asking for a ham 3 days from chistmas weekend
why is it so hard to plan ahead for you... are you incompetent?

Wow! Great Value!

Na cunt, Costco has the best rated ham from cooks illustrated, and is available ship to store in 2 days. EZ PZ.

>my butcher carries supermarket stuff
then he's not a butcher my friend just some hipster meat retailer masquerading as a butcher. buy direct from a local processing plant

>this entire fucking thread

>getting retail fully cooked presliced
Oh. We were never on the same page to begin with.

>fresh ham for xmas dinner
yeah cunt. You don't know what ham is. it's either city (wet cured) or country (dried hung and smoked).

but costco has fresh hams too, you mental midget.

>no im talking about local freshly butchered!
>no im talking about retail ready made!
>no im talking about processed readied cooked ham!
Gee....

Congrats on not know the topic of discussion. city/country hams were always processed before going to a butcher (the butcher does nothing)

see Please continue to shop at costco.

Please continue showing how dumb you are. You actually thought butchers smoked/cured the hams.
fucking riot!

Ham is trash, I make beef tenderloin for holidays, it is far superior and I never have to worry about it not being in stock.

Uhhh I think we're actually arguing the same point but you have this misconception. Enjoy.
Its like you guys were arguing the same thing but so bitter about it you couldnt find common ground.

>Uhhh I think we're actually arguing the same point
Na, he's denigrating city hams.

wat

>city/country hams were always processed before going to a butcher (the butcher does nothing)

Pick up picnic shoulder hams. They are pretty good. Lots of prime red meat in it.

do you also only buy your chicken in quick mircowave form?

>comparing chicken with cured pork
I wish the 12 year olds would stop posting.

OP watch the video in this link
seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/12/maple-glazed-city-ham-recipe.html

I ordered my 18lb fresh turkey on Dec 1. picking up on Dec 23.
get your shit together, it's painless and stress free

But fresh isn't anything like cured.
Are you going to cure it yourself, because from what I'm reading it'll take 2 days to cure.

Nevermind, he's another retard that doesn't know the difference between poultry and pork.
turkey isn't pork bro.

Found the jew

I cook this at Christmas because my mother and grandfather have the atomic era palate.
Sides are all from scratch though.

Genuinely had two people come in together and buy ten of these things yesterday. I was a bit concerned for their health and lifestyle choices.

> Waitrose or M&S, user.

You are now aware that M+S, waitrose, nandos, tesco, aldi and KFC all get their chicken from the same farm- Moy park.

Aka, it really doesn't matter where you get your chicken from.