Umami (savory)

>umami (savory)
JUST SAY FUCKING "SAVORY" THEN

Other urls found in this thread:

westword.com/restaurants/thirty-overused-irritating-and-just-plain-awful-food-words-and-phrases-that-make-our-mouth-hurt-5752130
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There is nothing that annoys me more than when someone describes a taste as umami and I'm a weeb, but I still think it's overboard.
>muh wapanese makes me moar cultured
The cringe is fucking real.

I think they chose this term as THE official term to differentiate it from savory (and existing word usage) and explicitly refer to compounds that are responsible for it.

Certain things are described as savoury without necessarily relying on umami... usually called such to denote a relative lack of sweetness.

Umami has come to refer to the flavour of a glutamate/glutamic acid high note.

>weeb
Do you react this way when you see a Japanese car as well?

That's not the same at all and you know it isn't. Saying umami puts you square in Ken-sama cringe territory.
You can just compare the taste to meat or soy sauce if you're really that concerned people will misinterpret savory.
Umami is basically just a Japanese word for "tastes good" so it's not like you're being more exact by using it.

So 'savory' then. Fuck off.

That definition's retarded. If somethings salty or spicy, we generally describe it as salty or spicy, not savory.

no you fucking retard, umami specifically refers to glutamate taste
it's not japanese now, it's officially the term worldwide for that taste and has been since before you were born

No, fuck of newfag.

BUT I HATE ANIME IT REMINDS ME THAT I'M NOT ON FACEBOOK NO JAPANESE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Nah, just when I see your mother's Hitachi. I keep telling her that the US makes fantastic vibrators, but she just spergs out and keeps saying Desu over and over again.

I like anime, I don't like people being weebs in public. Keep that shit to yourself

>glutamate taste
Just call it savory or compare it to meat. It's not that hard to avoid embarrassing yourself in public.

Salty does not adequately describe glutamate. Spicy does not describe it at all.

When used as a technical term, it's exact in its description. If you were working out a menu with a chef and said "This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... umami." you'd be met with choices of soya, garlic, broth, tomato, cheese... things containing glutamic acids. If you went with "Savoury", you would probably be asked if you wanted it to be less sweet, slightly more sour, earthier, spicier, saltier, or meatier.

It's like using the term "sizzle" in a studio. It's become a technical term to mean a specific range higher frequencies, especially as pertaining to cymbals. To most non a/v geeks, it doesn't mean a fucking thing, and you'd be better off saying something like "The cymbals needed a bit more treble."

Its not being a weeb to call it umami. They discovered it, they get to name it. That's how it works Self concious weebs like you are more annoying than anybody.

Take it up with Webster, idiot. Savory means savory and if you're one of these people who has to stop themselves every time they say "umami" to let everyone know that "umami means savory" then just say savory, you hipster douche.

And glutamate's are mostly found in savory foods or savory preparations of things like tomatoes. Doesn't really fix the issue of describing tastes as umami, especially since a lot of people (i.e. anybody not from Japan) have no idea what umami is. So then you have to describe umami, which almost inevitably includes the word savory. So why not just get two birds stoned at once and call it savory from the beginning?

>Other people being ignorant isn't the problem! Dumb yourself down you pretentious smarty pants!
Lol no.

>Japanese discovered the concept of deliciousness
>in 1975
>and then proceeded to never season a single a dish in any of their "cuisine"

>"This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... umami.
I want you to understand if you ever say something like that in real life you will instantly destroy whatever social good standing the other person mistakenly assigned to you beforehand.
>B-But that's the RIGHT word
Does not matter at all, I'm just explaining how people will react when you say that. You won't notice their reaction of course because you have to be pretty far along the autism spectrum to begin with by thinking it's OK to say that, but it will happen nonetheless.

>in 1975
wrong, frogposter. Japs proposed the concept of glutamate receptors in the early 1900's.
they also invented fish sauce independently alongside the Romans

I've had better cumbacks from your mother. Did you really call me a hipster? The guy that says umami in public? I do say savory you idiot, I might be a weeb, but saying that shit is cringe worthy. Just watch how amerifucks that travel to Japan describe food and tell me you don't wanna fist your asshole to forget what you just watched.

That does not mean that people were unaware that something was savory before weebs started calling it a different name.

>Just call it savory
SAVORY ALREADY HAS A MEANING AND NO IT DOESN'T MEAN "TASTES LIKE GLUTAMATE"

I CAN MAKE A TERRIBLY SHITTY DISH WITH A LOT OF UMAMI IN IT. IF YOU CALL IT "SAVORY" THEN I'M SORRY BUDDY BUT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

I want you to understand that if I'm using the term umami, I'm discussing food with someone who understands the term. Chances are any social standing is trumped by me being someone's client or boss.

I also want you to understand that your hyperbole is similarly trumped by the term becoming lexically industry standard.

that's precisely because "umami" and "savory" are not synonymous you fucking brainlet

First line of the wikipedia entre for umami
>Umami (/uˈmɑːmi/), OR SAVORY TASTE, is one of the five basic tastes (together with sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness).[1]

Nobody cares.
They were the first to literally use glutamate flavors as well as the first to posit the scientific underpinnings of how it works.
They can name it whatever the fuck they want.

Then compare it to meat.
You seriously do not need to do this to yourself. Just stop. I guarentee you nobody will ever secretly wish you had used the word umami while talking with them. It's 100% a decision to make yourself look obnoxious to prove an autistic point. Just stop.

Jeeze guy don't sperg out so hard, we get you're autistic, that's why you say umami when you mean tasty or savory, but that doesn't mean you have to put the capslock on cruise control.

No one is talking about 'them'. Yes, the Japanese can and should speak Japanese.

You, however, are a jackass if you start speaking Japanese when there is absolutely zero reason to do so.

>It's OK to make yourself look autistic if it's an employee or a client
???
>hyperbole
No hyperbole. I saw someone use the phrase mouth feel at work just the other day and you could actually notice everyone's opinion of the guy collapsing in that very instant. Umami is even worse than mouth feel.

READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE NIGGER
SAVORY IS AN APPROXIMATE TRANSLATION. THE PROPER TERM IS UMAMI IN ANY LANGUAGE
"SAVOURY" IS NOT ONE OF THE BASIC TASTES. UMAMI IS.

IF YOU USE "SAVOURY" TO SPEAK OF A SHITTY DISH JUST BECAUSE IT CONTAINS GLUTAMATE, THEN YOUR PROBLEM ISN'T WITH JAPANESE, IT'S WITH ENGLISH, BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SPEAK IT YOU DUMB FUCKING NIGGER

If umami translates to deliciousness then isn't it just throwing a word out there just to sound smart?
>"Oh this soup is so delicious, you can really taste the umami in it."
Like damn bruh, I liked it so much the first time I said it, I had to say it again. Real command of the english language is using as little words to say the same thing, not describing something to death without saying anything different.

>If umami translates to deliciousness
it doesn't

>"SAVOURY" IS NOT ONE OF THE BASIC TASTES. UMAMI IS.
Savory is one of the basic tastes. Tell me as specifically as you possibly can what you believe to be the fundamental difference between the terms "umami" and "savory"

Just compare it to meat. The "basic tastes" are an irrelevant piece of wikipedia trivia that no one in real life wants to hear about.

That's another one I've never understood. What the fuck is mouth feel supposed to describe? Doesn't all food or drink inherently have some mouth feel?

When you make management at McDonalds, your parents are going to be so proud of you.

Your livelihood is trolling the food board on a Singaporean Macrame forum. I guess it gives you an insider's opinion on autism, but is it really a term you feel you should be throwing around because people are using another in proper context?

>This neologism was coined in 1908 by Japanese chemist Kikunae Ikeda from a nominalization of umai (うまい) "delicious". The compound 旨味 (with mi (味) "taste") is used for a more general sense of a food as delicious.[7][8][9]

It's a catch all for texture and viscosity.

Another one best used as in-industry jargon, but still has its place.

>You, however, are a jackass if you start speaking Japanese when there is absolutely zero reason to do so.
Ok just as long as you punish yourself when you slip up and say tsunami, typhoon, emoji or any other English words of Japanese origin

>Savory is one of the basic tastes
that is absolutely not what it means, no
savory means "of good taste", it doesn't refer to a specific taste. You can absolutely use "savory" to describe a number of dishes and drinks with no glutamate in them

did you think when people say "this whisky is savory", they meant "it tastes of glutamate"? I'm sorry user you're not qualified to keep posting your shit opinions

Responding to As the pic clearly states, it means deliciousness. I don't know what it really means cause I'm not from Japan, so far as I've been able to tell, nobody really know's what it means, but it's some conjuction of savory or tasty or delicious.

lol I don't work with food.
>trolling
It's not trolling, I'm seriously trying to help you stop making yourself look autistic in public. If everyone stopped doing these things it would be better for all of us, nobody feels good when someone says some cringe shit like umami.

>etymology = definition
brainlet

>As the pic clearly states
woah dude I'm sure you know it all with your random internet dictionary definition
it doesn't translate to "deliciousness", and in fact it doesn't translate at all because it is the English word

>this thread again
Next you’ll be insisting that texture means the same thing as mouthfeel. Spoilers: It doesn’t. Mouthfeel includes texture, but also includes hot/cold, carbonation, dry/wet, and other such feelings that aren’t taste, but aren’t texture either. Quit being a contrarian faggot.

You are just reaching for anything at this point, aren't you? Look at you, just flailing about.

How is not using blatantly awkward phrases like mouth feel or umami contrarian? You're being contrarian by insisting on using phrases everyone else cringes at just to prove some weird distinction of meaning point.

Do you get triggered by words like karaoke and koi?

Is this trolling? I don't know dude, it's not my random definition, it was somebody else's. Maybe I should have clicked on that post before responding to it, but there's so many sperglords on this bread right now, I guess I made a mistake. To clear it up, I was referring to what that dude posted, maybe you should get a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, I heard that helps out with the auts.

>I don't work
Nobody feels good being anywhere near cringe being used as an adjective.

If I'm in a position to use a single, concise word to convey information to someone who speaks jargon fluently, I'm not going to pussyfoot around it for the sake of appearances. Much like I wouldn't mention the word gastrique anywhere near someone like you, even if I'd made the call to have several of them spattered on the chicken we subbed out duck for so you'd feel comfortable at your cousin's wedding.

No because that's just a quicker way of describing a specific thing. Since umami is such an unspecific idea for so many people, you have to describe it, thus it saves no time making it fairly useless.

Not nearly as much as I am by false equivalences.

>webster is the ultimate answer hurrr durr
How's life as a college dropout?

>If you don't work in food service you don't work.
Wow... so this is the power of autists who use the word umami in public.
>jargon
No, it's not even like you're using some technical jargon here. It's a word that means "tastes meaty" for fuck's sake. There is no reason to use it unless you want to make people aware you're aware that word exists. That's your genuine motivation here, not the bullshit rationalizations you've posted about it helping with you be more efficient at your food service job.
If it makes you feel any better though, I also cringe around people at my work who use programming specific faggot-phrases like "syntactic sugar" or "killer app."

This is the most insanely autistic language policing imaginable and I regularly deal with SJWs organizing struggle sessions over the wrong sex words. Neck yourself, shithead.

There's a difference between us begging you to stop being an autist in public vs. SJWs raising concern about words being offensive.
Having to hear people like you say umami is only loosely comparable to a PTSD sexual assault flashback. It's not pleasant, but I'd compare it more to trying to get a bad smelling person to start practicing hygiene than I would to a rape memory trigger word.

Does the word umami trigger you specifically because its Japanese and you are self-conscious about been seen as a weeb?

No, we've been through this already, "mouth feel" is a similar phrase you should never use in public and has nothing to do with being a weeb.

umami has nothing to do with mouthfeel you fucking retard, mouthfeel is TEXTURE

What the fuck else do you say other than “mouth feel”?
Texture? Surface pattern? Tongue sensation? Bud contact?

Similar as in they're both phrases you should never use in public, not similar as in they mean similar things.
It's like you're cringe-blind and can only operate in terms of literal meanings. Do you have an actual autism diagnosis already?

You just proved why they aren't synonymous though. Savory refers to a whole category of food which is contrasted by sweet/dessert foods and is characterised by saltiness, spiciness, umami and to a certain extent, bitterness. Umami refers to a specific flavor within that. It's like saying red and maroon mean the same thing.

What context specifically are you finding yourself needing to use "mouth feel" in the first place?
Texture, feel, or sensation would all probably work fine depending on the context. I can tell you for sure that a very large number of people go through their lives never once saying "mouth feel" to another soul. It's very noticeable when someone does say it in part because most of us never do.

You should just not speak

>One brewer to another regarding a test batch
"How's the mouthfeel?"
>Brewer 2 in response
"It needs a bit more carbonation, viscosity's fine, serving temp is perfect. Maybe ease back on the hops in secondary - it's a bit puckering."

Why wouldn't you just ask "how is it?" That's a pretty specific context you have there already (testing beer) so I don't see why you would need to clarify what you mean when asking about it.
In fact it's kind of questionable why you'd have to say anything at all in that situation, wouldn't you just expect the other guy to tell you how it was each time after he tastes something new you're trying out you haven't tasted yourself?

I'd be speaking Japanese if I used it to mean "tastes good", which I don't.

>umami has nothing to do with mouthfeel
westword.com/restaurants/thirty-overused-irritating-and-just-plain-awful-food-words-and-phrases-that-make-our-mouth-hurt-5752130
Looks like both made the list.

The first brewer is confident in his flavour profile and colour, less confident in the physical properties.

Brewers... when they get good, they get bought out. If/When they get back to the roots, there's usually a period of self-discovery and feeling out the market... usually involves overhopping and souring things that don't need to be.

I can find listicles about how guys named Sean make horrible husbands. Try harder.

I hope you're American so I can tell you that it's:
>Courgette, not zuccini.
>Aubergine, not eggplant.

I hope you're English so I can remind you that Australia was a horrible idea.

It is really funny how none of the definitions actually define what the culture says the definition is.

This thread is full of a whole lot of projection, mainly people who are embarrassed and seeking to overcompensate for some cringeworthy memories of themselves by attacking people for committing the same faux pas. I can't think of a single time I've used "mouthfeel" and I can count the amount of times I've said "umami" on one hand, mostly in discussions like these. But this characterisation of some autistic person bandying the terms around proudly is one I'm not sure exists, and if it makes you so uncomfortable, I'm compelled to think that it's because you see yourself in them.

Like it or not, those terms do have very specific meanings and very legitimate uses. Meaning almost the same thing isn't equivalent to meaning the same thing, and there are plenty of examples in the English language to this effect, e.g. subtle/discreet.

>Webster’s
>An American dictionary defining a foreign term in common use overseas

You fucking tardbuckets are one of the least articulate nations on earth, and have done more than any other culture to destroy the English language.

Taking language lessons from Americans is like taking driving lessons from Helen Keller.

Umami is a specific subset of savoury, sorry if that triggers you. You should go and self-soothe by making up a few new names for existing things then insisting that the rest of the world adopt them.

how do u pronounce umami

'mEEm'... the u and i are silent, and the a is a long e.

'ooh mommy' flavor.
Sweet, Salt, Bitter, Tangy and Ooh Mommy.

>Ooooh-mommy
Which is also my preferred orgasm noise.

it's a loanword
that being said, no one actually says umami and modern use of the word savory basically describes exactly what the word umami would anyway

うまみ
ezpz

I use umami instead of savory. The Japanese were the first to identify what caused a savory taste, and called it umami. I, therefore, when taking about foods that have high amounts of chemicals that cause a savory flavor, use the term umami.

japon people are supririor to bako americans
just look at tea ceremony
just breathe
and bonzi
just breathe

>no you fucking retard, umami specifically refers to glutamate taste
>it's not japanese now, it's officially the term worldwide for that taste and has been since before you were born

The term means "I'm a cocksucker who likes following trends and sounding pretentious."

You sure are.

Umami in Korean is Kam Chill Mat 감칠맛. So when I talk with my friends and in laws its not a strange weeb concept. But just a common thing.

Now no one suspects.

>I think they chose this term as THE official term to differentiate it from savory (and existing word usage) and explicitly refer to compounds that are responsible for it.

>Umami has come to refer to the flavour of a glutamate/glutamic acid high note.

But they didn't write "umami," they wrote "umami (savory)"

>If you were working out a menu with a chef and said "This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... umami." you'd be met with choices of soya, garlic, broth, tomato, cheese... things containing glutamic acids.
Would you ever say the same sort of thing for any other flavor though? I don't think so, watch:
>This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... saltiness.
>This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... sourness.
>This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... bitterness.
>This [item] is great, but it needs a bit more... sweetness.
None of those sentences sound normal. It would make a lot more sense to just say specifically what you want to add e.g. salt if you want it to be saltier or sugar if you want it to be sweeter.
>projection
Not really, no. The only problem in this thread is everyone's being too generous by trying to explain to you what isn't really a rational thing in the first place. And then people like you come in and try to argue words can't be cringy because they have definitions or because other words come from Japan when none of that really changes the fact there are definitely cringy words that exist.

I have an advanced degree in food science and can tell you that umami and mouthfeel are real words used by professionals. Umami is also unanimously considered one of the basic flavors.

>None of those sentences sound normal. It would make a lot more sense to just say specifically what you want to add e.g. salt if you want it to be saltier or sugar if you want it to be sweeter.

If you phrase it with that stiltedness, sure.

Here, try these human sentences instead:

>This soup is great but it needs a slightly stronger flavor. Salt, perhaps?

>I love this sauce but you could perhaps improve it with a little more zest.

>Interesting take on a classical dessert - I'm used to it being a little sweeter, did you use syrup or honey?

>insecure virgins afraid of saying words vs flavor autists

god this thread is so fucking dumb

>This soup is great but it needs a slightly stronger flavor. Salt, perhaps?
That's the point though, it makes more sense to just ask about adding salt than it would to try to reference the idea of saltiness as a flavor.
Generally it makes more sense just to ask about adding something specific than it would to try to reference the idea of some platonic form of basic flavor.

Thank you for imparting your wisdom, oh wise one

I don't think anyone who's opposed to saying "umami" is afraid of saying it. The point is we're trying to convince other people to stop saying it because it sounds really pretentious and its use isn't ever necessary.

>but I still think it's overboard.

Is it overboard to say sauté pan instead of jumping fry pan?
Is it overboard to say crème brûlée instead of burnt cream?
Is it overboard to say terroir instead of localized environmental characteristics which the raw ingredients are grown in and affect the taste of the end product?

Like nigga they spent 30 years scientifically proving that there are glutamate receptors on the tongue and that umami is a basic taste rather than a derived taste like savory, get over it.