I still had leftover sake and mirin from making teriyaki chicken, so today we're making gyudon

I still had leftover sake and mirin from making teriyaki chicken, so today we're making gyudon.

I just made gyudon today too

neat

Isnt that a pokemon?

Is this the weeb thread?

We start by making dashi, a stock made from dried skipjack tuna and kelp.

N-no

We're going for about 3.5 cups of stock. For that we'll use a couple decent sized pieces of kelp.

Toss the kelp into a medium sized pot and fill it with 3 cups water. Set heat to medium-high.

As soon as you've got a boil going, take the kelp out and discard. Keep water boiling for another minute.

Honest question:
Is Gyudon supposed to taste sour-sweet? I bought some last month from sukiya,but since I found it tasting like that I wondered is that's the way it should be or the restaurant screwing up

Pour in half a cup of cold water and add the bonito flakes. I used four of the 0.15oz packages, roughly 1.25 cups I'd say. Cover and let it sit for 20 minutes or so.

That sounds wrong. Sour-sweet is not how I'd describe the taste at all.

Strain the dashi into a bowl, pot, whatever.
It has a very smoky, and obviously somewhat fishy taste to it. That might sound off-putting to some people, but once it's simmering with the soy sauce, sake, mirin, beef and onions, none of that fishy taste will be left and you'll just have a really nice, savory broth.

Chuck is a good cut of beef for gyudon. It took a roast that was 2.7 lbs and trimmed the fat off. What's pictured was about 1.9 lbs.

If you can source beef that's already cut very thin, that would save you a step. Otherwise you'll have to cut it up yourself.

It helps to toss the meat into the freezer for 15-25 minutes to firm it up. Makes slicing it thin easier.

>It helps to toss the meat into the freezer for 15-25 minutes to firm it up. Makes slicing it thin easier.
thanks for this tip
monitoring.png

This is about how thin I like the slices. Obviously a sharp knife helps, but it's still kind a of a pain.

A satisfying pile of meat.

that looks perfect for pepper steak or a hot oil/pepper soup too

Next I recommend par-boiling the beef. Some recipes instruct you to skim the fat off while everything is simmering together. I'd rather not and just remove a good amount of it beforehand.

This is not a tip. The same thing is said about making cheese steaks at home. Even with a sharp knife you get shitty flakes like
which just cook up too quickly and don't taste anything like when you have proper sheets of beef. Same goes for sukiyaki.
Most places will not cut beef deli strip thin, but it is essential. If you're a home sick Japanese maybe this will do when you're desperate or don't know what it actually taste like, but it will be a poor substitute.

Chuck isn't exactly lean. Not that you'd want a lean cut for this dish.

Looks amazing, but never have I seen anything like that in a store around here.
Cut up onions and a bit of ginger. I used 2 medium size brown/yellow onions.

Oh I knew it. Well now I know I got duped. I'll try it sometime else and see if it was just a one time thing. To be fair it was a fairly new location so that might be the reason

Toss the onions into a large skillet, pot or dutch oven. Pour in the dashi and bring to a boil. Simmer the onions for about 5 minutes.

Hence
>maybe this will do when don't know what it actually taste like

To the broth we will add roughly:

1 part soy sauce
1 part sake
1 part mirin
0.5 parts sugar.

So basically the same as what I used for teriyaki chicken. I've seen different recipes call for different proportions, I think there is definitely a lot of wiggle room for personal preference. Start by adding a half cup each of the soy sauce, sake, mirin, and a quarter cup sugar and go from there. I believe I ended up adding a few more tablespoons of sake and mirin.

After the onions have been simmering for 5 minutes, pour in the soy sauce/sake/mirin/sugar

Toss in the ginger, and continue simmering for another 5 minutes.

At this point add in all your beef and simmer some more. I think I kept it going for another 10-15 minutes.

>I think I kept it going for another 10-15 minutes.

you murdered your beef right there

That's basically it.

Also wanted to try making some vegetable tempura to go with it.

thanks for the thread you weeaboo fucker :)
(I wanna make this for my gf(male))

according to the internet, japanese people don't eat teriyaki

is this true, or is it another case of smug white people trying to act like authenticity elitists again?

It turned out pretty good but I need to figure out how to make the batter stick better.

VEOLA!

Probably gonna be eating this for lunch for the next couple days. Cheers Veeky Forums

Teriyaki is technically a thing in Japan (when you ask Japanese about it they'll proudly claim it as Japanese) but you're really only going to find the foreign kind at McDs.

Tare at yakitori is pretty close but its not cloyingly sweet like teriyaki. Gyudon is in a similar boat.

Looks good, user. Would eat

You have to make sure the batter is COLD before you do tempura, it can make or break it. Looks like your batter turned to room temperature

>no raw egg on top
C'mon user, you were so close

>As soon as you've got a boil going, take the kelp out and discard. Keep water boiling for another minute.

I've never used kelp in cooking - does it taste so powerfully you need to remove it before boiling (in which case - why not use less and leave in?) or what's going on here?

>AMERICANS MAKING JAPANESE FOOD

JUST FUCKING MOVE
FUCKING STOP
YOU GET SHIT INGREDIENTS

Sounds like you just suck at making hot sauce, you can have a mild sauce with tons of flavour. the reaper sauce I made doesn't have me sweating and crying unless I add enough but the taste of the peppers shines through

>Sounds like you just suck at making hot sauce

who are you replying to my guy

>does it taste so powerfully you need to remove it before boiling

No, it's actually just a subtle ocean-y. The kelp does get slimy though if you boil it, and maybe bitter, I don't remember. Probably why you're supposed to remove it.

Teriyaki sauce doesn't need either sake or mirin, retard.
The gyudon looks good though. 8/10 would get drunk and eat it in the way home.

>No, it's actually just a subtle ocean-y. The kelp does get slimy though if you boil it, and maybe bitter, I don't remember. Probably why you're supposed to remove it.

Thank you.

>teriyaki doesnt need mirin
OPINION DISREGARDED