beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/609/1643/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

currently on my fourth bud light platinum

I'm not gonna hate, we get buckets of that at bowling night

Is it me or does that stuff just taste like bud light with a splash of vodka

tried mad elf the other day, that shit is pretty gud

Just cellared these and a sixer of Guinness 200th

I wouldn't say that, just a bit crisper

I've been hearing a lot about sweet baby jesus- that peanut butter stout I think it is. you ever had it?

That's absence of light

It's my favorite beer period. I have four 22s on hand and get it whenever it's on tap

That ones so fukkin good. Where did you get that image?

El goog
Whole foods has it, never think to look there

I had a World Wide Stout last night, wasn't bad. I have a 4-pack of PM Dawn that I'm tempted to bust though tonight

I just bought this iipa homebrew kit, I'm really looking forward to putting it down. Apparently it comes in a 8.8% if you follow the directions.
I really like the look of the label.

If you drink beer of any kind you are consuming massive amounts of xenooestrogens. STOP! Water and tea are the only beverages you need.

>stronghold assassin

neeeeeeeerdddss

what if i want to become a smooth cute soyboy though

What is the second worst style of beer behind IPA?

>sipping a beer

I personally don't think you'll find any value in cellaring any of those

Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA was actually not bad, I thought it was gonna be way worse based off what I read here. As far as something widely available and 9% ABV, definitely worth checking out.

>lagunitas imperial stout

I wouldn't cellar any of those, personally

That's the shit that came up when I tried to look up reviews on the beer.
They have a whole line of beers named after magic cards.

It tastes syrupy to me

Sours

Followed by red ale
Disgusting, always

Got some Cloudwater today!

Red ales are either boring af or just bad. I've never had a good one

Same. Never have had a red ale worth trying twice.

Nice cream ale after work.

>It's intense
This is hipster for this is a really bad/unbalanced beer but I read somewhere that I'm supposed to like it.

awww I like sours. I've always liked sour candies too.

Oh, I didn't like it. I can respect it but I don't have to like it

how do I get started on appreciating beers

What have you tried besides bud light

I usually just order whatever has a fun name at a bar

On the other hand, my go-tos are Hoegarden or Guinness

My issue is that unless someone sits me down and tells me what to look out for, I just go "Mmm, tastes like beer."

I disagree with your approach. I think too many microbreweries get away with making objectively bad beers that end up giving bad names to entire styles. A perfect example of this is IPAs. I have had delicious, balanced IPAs but there are so many bad ones on the scene that don't even attempt to make a decent hop profile that it turns people off from the style entirely.

Drinking a 2015 bottle of this. I think 6 months to a year is prime for most imperial stouts, I just forgot about this one in the back of my collection.
Great traditional RIS. Not a chocolate bomb or roasted to hell. Just a well balanced, heavy, winter stout.

So you like hoegaarden? That's a Belgian white, or a type of wheat beer. Another is Blue Moon or Boulevard Wheat or Goose Island 312.
You like Guinness? That's a stout. You might like a 4 Hands chocolate milk stout or New Holland Dragon's Milk or many others. Try beers by type and not brand or name and find a style you enjoy.

>So you like hoegaarden? That's a Belgian white, or a type of wheat beer. Another is Blue Moon or Boulevard Wheat or Goose Island 312.
Yea, I like hoegaarden mostly cause it's a decent safe choice. I like Allagash Whites too, which I presume are the same thing

>You like Guinness? That's a stout. You might like a 4 Hands chocolate milk stout or New Holland Dragon's Milk or many others.
Yea at least stouts are pretty distinctive. I'm still reeling from the revelation that Guinness has about the same alcohol content as a bud light.

>Try beers by type and not brand or name and find a style you enjoy.
Cool, I need to go find a beer recommender app.

Hey dudes, what are the best seasonal/festive craft beers for thanksgiving/christmas? preferably something pumpkin, high abv, and stouts if possible

thank

Just come to the liquor store with that same mindset of trying whatever catches your eye. Read the label to see if there are some flavors you should be tasting in the beer if you want. Maybe try some beer types that you don't normally drink as well.

Basically what I'm trying to say is don't make beer drinking and selection pretentious. I think the beers you mentioned show you're open to trying different types of beer, which is great.

Untappd is pretty great.

I think what I need is a primer on what the most surface level description of beers are. Like I know IPA/Lagers are different but I have no idea what to associate them with in my mind. Stouts are easy cause they're a straight up different color/taste.

Will try that

Serious question: Do you have beer glasses of beers/breweries you don't particularly like? I like having good glasses but some of the beers I don't enjoy. For example I have a couple of Chimay goblets but I'm not a big Chimay fan, I more prefer Rochefort.

I have pint glasses from local breweries and bars, but mostly just plain pints

I don't like Stella but the manager at a Ruby Tuesdays just gave my whole group Stella glasses

Sure, there are better Belgian breweries than Chimay, but Chimay Red is fucking tasty.

Same. I'm an absolute whore for anything sour, beer included.

Just go and check out the craft beer section the next time you go in the store. Grab a couple you think you will enjoy and then grab a random one to try something different. Take a note on what kinds you enjoy and what kinds you didnt enjoy.

they all taste the same to me, beer culture is as confusing to me as pot culture dudes

Plebian.

I'm drinking some of these rn
What are y'all on tonight?

i like sour candy and tart flavors but the one time i tried a sour (pic related) it tasted partially really nice and partially like salt or sweat or something, it was gross. are they all kinda like that? fruity sour beers sound nice.

>are they all kinda like that?
No. Saltiness is a Gose thing, not a sour thing in general. A good, commonly-found example of sours is Rodenbach.

Christmas bomb.

>salt or sweat or something
this is why goses are the best

I think your taste buds might be retarded friend
Try cutting back on the salt and sugar

If you can find them, anything by Almanac is fantastic. If you live in Oregon, if you can find De Garde then go with them, those are my top two sour breweries

If you can find Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin ale, that's the best I've had. Stouts you can go in several different directions but it also depends on what you want to spend.

I thought sour beer was a horrible idea until I tried one. Wasn't prepared for the wine-like fresh tartness. My favorite sour style now is kriek, but most are awesome.

Grab a few beers that are absolutely different. Pour each one out into different glasses so that you can visually tell the difference between them. Take a sip of one and think about what is tastes like, then try a different one right after. If at that point you can taste the differences then you might want to talk to a doctor.

It might seem pretentious, but the fastest way is probably to sign up for a guided beer testing, many pubs have that. You'll get information on the different tastes and what part of the brewing process caused them. An important part of this is: do not drink more after the testing. Go home and go to bed. You want to remember every detail. A slower but equally good way is to buy a beer of a certain style, hefeweizen or whatever. Read on the internet (ratebeer is a good resource for checking out what people think about different brands) which kinds are good, how they are made, usual ingredients and what tastes to expect. Then you drink the beer at the suggested temperature (buy a large snifter glass) and write down notes what you think about it. Keep the notes organized so you can go back and compare to other similar beers.

Used to love hoppy IPAs and sweet stouts up until a few weeks ago when I got drunk and puked for hours. Now the only beer I can stand is wheat beer. The smell of hops makes me gag now. Feels bad, man.

Should learn how to control your drinking little fella

Give it a month or two and you'll be fine

I've had O'Hara's Irish Red, while not incredible I thought it was solid.

I've gotten sick off certain beers from drinking too much and that never happened to me, I usually don't want any alcohol for about a day but then I go back to normal.

Thank you, friends

RE how much I'm willing to spend: I don't mind spending a little more for quality

Pumpkin-anything sounds good. I really enjoy Southern Tier's Pumking but I think it's out of season rn

Wisconsin strong, Madison here. Where u from?

Victory Kirsch Gose or Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose are tops for fruity sours. A lot of Cascades are nice too, but they're always overpriced

Missouri, have relatives up there. Would definitely like to try more New Glarus varieties

Tried this the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It was kind of peachy and really well balanced. Inexpensive as well

From STL? So IL here.

Yup, midtown

anyone can tell me names of seasonal gingerbread IPAs?

I had one 3 years ago on my birthday at the movies and since then i have not been able to find it again, even emailed the place and nothing.
tasted literally just like gingerbread man and nothing like alcohol, got you buzzed on the second glass though.

I've never heard of that, but Indeeds Old Friend is gingery and pretty good. Not my picture, it just looked cozy.

Nice. Ever check out any Side Project stuff? Their BA stouts are amazing.

Haven't had a drop for a month. Now I'm off to see family and friends in my hometown over the holidays. Any standard lager will taste amazing.

Maplewood, right? Haven't tried them yet.

Your friendly local MN-fag back from a trip to Boston. Picked up some Night Shift while I was there, just had Whirlpool and it was alright but not up to the hype. Now drinking pic related, nice and hoppy. Home for the holidays and the parents have some Summit Winter Ale waiting for me in the fridge, bless them

They don't even put it in bottles anymore if I'm not mistaken, that's gotta be a few years back.

I need to pick up a pack of these. Want a few for this winter and one to have at the end of the day when I move in 6 months.

Did your region get any Bourbon Paradise, Vanilla Noir, or Coffee Noir? Christmas Bomb! is solid, but if you get a chance to snag any, you owe it to yourself to get a couple Bourbon Paradise from Prairie.

So does Prairie only make meme beers?

> a fellow MN faggot
If you like IPAs, snag some of the 12/21/17 batch of Hooey from Lupulin. I got 5cs at my shop this afternoon and already burned through 2cs. Shit is stupid-fresh and juicy.

Correct. Indeed doesn't do the 750mL bottles of Old Friend anymore. All 4pk 16oz cans this year.

>tfw non-twin cities MN fag

If I can get to the cities for a liquor run I plan on stocking up on Lupulin. I've never had anything from them but I always hear great things

If you're on the west coast this is a Winter Seasonal from Bison Brewing in Berkeley. Other than that I wouldn't know.

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/609/1643/
(I know you said IPA but I decided to throw this out there since it fit all the other hints you gave)

Most of their accounts are in the hipster faggot neighborhoods: West Metro. I'm actually feeling this weird warm, kinda energetic, fuzzy sensation I'm told is "pride" after successfully getting nearly $1000 worth stocked at my work. Dunno what rural area you're in, but if the NE suburbs are more convenient I can sell ya some beer, bruv.

Juicy dank shit, brah.

lmaooo

home is Duluth but school is south of the cities. Gotta drive through there whenever I travel between 'em so I'll try to find it next month. You near 35E?

>he unironically enjoys ipas

Lupulin is fucking outstanding. I went to their taproom without knowing shit about them a few years ago and some version of blissful ignorance was on tap. Best double ipa I've ever had to this day. They had a brown ale that was damn good as well

maybe it wasnt an ipa i cant remember but its not that. i would have remembered that name at least. also im in texas.

Yep. They also do some really good sours and Belgians. Kind of pricy, but worth it.

About 5 weeks old when i had it and it was passed the best before for me. Malty and bitter with less taste than expected!

I have a lot of R&D releases in my basement if you want to trade.

I'm not him but whatchu got

does this taste good or shit? i was looking for something that tasted like heady topper and heard this might fit the bill. does this taste good or did i fuck up?

Got that hooey today. Beautiful beer. Juicier than hell with a perfect malt backbone. Up there with Todd the Axe man imo

>Malty and bitter
are you retarded