Christmas dinner (in Japan)

>want to make a nice Christmas dinner for gf
>she's mostly vegetarian (recipes with meat/broth are ok but no birds roasted whole or anything)
>still want it to have that big family dinner aesthetic, a big thing we cut into rather than individual portions
>have only an induction stove and toaster/microwave, no oven
>obviously, can only use ingredients that're easily acquirable in Japan

Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wxIuTSyxhoU
smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-japan-is-obsessed-with-kentucky-fried-chicken-on-christmas-1-161666960/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jesus Christ it sounds like you're going to have a HORRIBLE Christmas dinner.

make stuffing and bake a squash with it

ummm wtf user? green been casserole maybe

Japanese people tend to eat christmassy stuff on their new year type holiday calledo shogatsu.

Just google oshogatsu food/recipes and pick one.

Make this shit youtube.com/watch?v=wxIuTSyxhoU

Just do it thanksgiving style without the bird.

Par boil root vegetables, Potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnip, carrots and then fry them. Make a really good gravy ahead of time. You can make good vegetarian gravy even if you want.

The fried/ roasted potatoes & gravy is the fundamental bit for me.

That, plus a few vegetable/ salad dishes would make me happy enough.
You could get a pot of oil going and do doughnuts/ churros for a dessert, then deep fry the potatoes.

just eat a big anime you fucking geek

just have tempura over rice

tempura is a good idea, but it's easy to get wrong if it's your first time. Bad tempura is quite disgusting

At least she's not vegan or gluten-free. The only restriction is basically no giant hunks of meat, which I can't easily buy anyways.

I don't have an oven

Thanks! But I was wanting something a little more Western for Christmas

Thanks! I like this idea.

Homemade? Because unless you can make killer fried chicken/tempura/koroke, the convenience stores have most average recipes beat.

Is your toaster/microwave a toaster oven or do you mean individually a toaster and a microwave?

>the convenience stores have most average recipes beat.
yeah just buy a bunch

if you have a dutch oven and a little metal rack thing to put inside it you can simulate an oven

If you have no kind of convection heating (no toaster oven, no regular oven, nothing) then you're probably best off just googling some no-bake recipes.
No bake mac and cheese comes out pretty decent, but because you dont get that nice baked cheese crust it stays really gooey. Some people don't like that.
You could make a big fucking breakfast skillet or hash, there are tons of good recipes out there that don't require you to pop it in the oven for the last little bit.
If you have a grill-pan those are great for frying stuff up, veggies, bacon, any kind of meat, pretty much anything you'd normally put on a grill you can do on a stovetop.
Mashed potatoes and good gravy are good (sausage gravy is fucking killer if your girl is fine with meat-based sauces)

It's a "steam oven," whatever that means. From what I can tell it can microwave things and toast bread, but I don't know if it can bake things like a real oven can (rather than baking things like a toaster oven)

KFC, of course!
smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-japan-is-obsessed-with-kentucky-fried-chicken-on-christmas-1-161666960/

If it can toast bread then it's probably a steam/convection oven, which means you do in fact have an oven and can bake shit.
Grab some bread, a slice of meat, and a slice of cheese, throw it in that bastard, and see how it comes out.
If it's not a soggy mess and the bread is nice and crispy, and the cheese melted nice, then you're in business.

>Vegetarian in Japan
Tell the bitch to fit in with the culture or starve

This is a serious backup. It's pretty expensive here, however

Will do, will let you know how it goes

Japanese don't eat Kobe beef and sashimi for every meal user

Don’t believe you have a gf weeb.

Just do what everyone else in Japan does and get KFC user.

Fellow Japanfag here. It's pretty hard to do a traditional xmas dinner here as it is, let alone when your missus is a vegetarian. I have no suggestions for you, sorry user.

A side note, how the fuck does your missus manage to stay vegetarian here? She must get asked why she doesn't eat meat and a dozen other questions at least 400 times a day. It's the kind of country you literally cant get out of eating anything and people constantly second-guess you. Tell her to stop being a picky eater and then maybe get a lump of roast beef or something.

This is probably your best bet. It's called "Osechi-ryouri", traditional food eaten in the couple of days after New Year's in Japan.

If it's a back-up dont get it from KFC, buy some chicken breasts in advance and make kara-age yourself or get the fried chicken from convenience stores, tastes way better.

Also maybe consider getting some slabs of salmon. It's dirt cheap in Japan, so you can make some sushi yourself real easy and it's a lot of fun, specially as something you can do together. Make square of su-meshi rice, put wasabi and fish on, bone apple tits.

The things you do for that sideways pussy, user... she's not totally vegetarian, she just doesn't eat sashimi or anything where you can see the animals face/real shape. So fried chicken or tempura is okay

>gf
>>she's mostly vegetarian
>>recipes with meat/broth are ok, but no birds

>user doesn't have a gif, he has his own retard