Ausfag here, one of these just opened up near me...

Ausfag here, one of these just opened up near me. Should I move my weekly shop to here or is there some foods that i should avoid?

I work at Aldi Australia. I don't know if there's anything you should "avoid".
Bread isn't always the freshest. Produce tends to be less available as the day goes on.
Any specific questions?

What's the produce and meats like? I hear mixed things about both

I dont understand the problem with the meat. Most of it seems fine to me.
The problem with produce is essentially we don't have dedicated produce managers so we can't constantly be running produce. It's kind of complicated but basically stuff might sit on the shelf a bit longer than woolworths. Maybe a day or two?
You can just vet the quality by looking at it though.

I bought some paper towel from there once. It smelt like chicken noodles/stock.

all the frozen food roughly tastes the same

aldi nord is shit. aldi sud is not so terrible

I usually buy my meat from aldi (3 dollar ground turkey is pretty good)
That aside though they aren't that much better than walmart, pretty good take and bake pizza, occasionally they have some really good special items

wine is good, single malt has won awards

Their pretzel rolls are great and braunschweiger is just amazing for the price

When Aldi first came to australia it was so much cheaper than it's competitors. Nowadays it's still cheaper for the most part, but only just noticeably. Quality is usually decent enough, I haven't seen anything of bad quality in the 8ish years I've shopped there. Meat and cheese are the wallet killers there though.

Why do all your pull ring cans fucking break? Seriously three times in a row O buy a ton of anchovies and the ring broke on every one.

I feel sorry for your boyfriend.

aldi cheap cuts are bad. They have more fat than meat cuts on coles and woolies.
Not really, they still have a good price cuts here and there. Worth it.
Produce quality is bad-fruits and vegs are not the best quality. Bread is not that food either. Meat is fine, as well as snacks. Probably best deal is eggs and cheese, since they got cheap import cheese and cheese in general.
Frozen food is not that reccomended since they're lower quality.
Also shop on early weekends or midday on regular days cause that line is just like welfare queue- massive.
Also bring your own bags.

From my experience, aldi is more of a way to supplement your regular shopping trip, not replace it.

which is which?

Blu is Süd, red is north.

Rule of thumb for ALDI around the world:
You can buy pretty much anything there even a lot of their "house products" as a lot of them come from the same producer and are the same product as "health shop" quality goods just repackaged for aldi. Especially their cereals and chocolate stuff

AVOID:
>meat beside minced meat and chicken/turkey stuff, as all their other stuff is either full of fat, wrongly cut, stall or all of them.
>fresh fish, they're all terrible
>their own beauty products (shower gel, shampoo, soap, makeup etc...) as they're mostly complete shit or watered down
>their own cleaning products, again watered down shit you could even clean with pure water...
>most of their kitchen stuff, it's not bad but you literally get what you pay for. So don't expect much from the 10 kitchen knifes set for $8.99 or the 4 pans for $14.30
>their own beer (Karlskrone or something like that...) it's cheap and gets you drunk but yeah... Usually a terrible taste, a paper thin can you can easily penetrate by just holding a toothpick near it and every 3rd or 4th can is dead.

>stall
what does that mean

Here in the US the bagged potatoes tend to be moldy, which isn't a big deal if you are peeling the skin off.

aldi produce tends to be on the verge of expiring, hence why they can get it and sell it so cheaply

unless you're planning on using it the same day, aldi is probably not the best place to get your fresh fruits and veggies

Lidl is generally far better than Aldi in every form or shape, even thier kitchen stuff is far better. Get thier induction stoves for 30€, they are hands down the best plug-in induction stoves you can find on the market.

It should've been stale, autocorrect fucks me again.

My experience is Lidl = Aldi in pretty much everything. It's mostly the same products from the same producers and in most countries they even get their meat from the same large producer.
But I agree, Lidl tends to have much better kitchen stuff while Aldi has the better work/garden tools.

> Get thier induction stoves for 30€, they are hands down the best plug-in induction stoves you can find on the market.
I actually own one from Lild and one from Aldi, they're exactly the same product and work perfect. One of the good 30€ I spent there.

Avocados seems to be fine, I get them day(s) before they're ripe enough to use for guac.

Aldi is the best fucking place ever.
Amazing food.
Literally can't recall a single food item I've disliked in the 15 years we've had one near my house.
Good whiskey too.

yeah sometimes you can get away with it, their mangos for example are usually okay