The culinary library

Alright boys and girls, I have amassed a decent collection of cookbooks-- mostly new, but some old-- and would like to share the knowledge.

Pick a book and request a recipe/technique/piece of information. I will photograph the relevant pages or passages to the best of my ability and post the results in this thread.

Please request one thing at a time so everybody gets a chance.

Lesser-known technique for slicing onions

Slicing onions 2/4

Slicing onions 3/4

Slicing onions 4/4

Could I get the liquid sourdough starter from The Larousse Book of Bread? Thanks in advance senpai

Yes. I have made it before. Mine worked, but each day it did form a dry skin on top. Therefore I dampened the towel on day 2 before covering the bowl. I believe that the rye flour I used must have soaked more water than the one used in the book, though this is just speculation. I also added a bit more water on day 4 just to achieve the "thick pancake batter" consistency he mentions.

Great thread, posting a hot girl to motivate you to continue.

Cauliflower flavor pairings 1/2

Cauliflower flavor pairings 2/2

Butter face

When u gonna post the hot girl?

let me see the inside of that pot, OP

Icelandic Christmas grouse 1/2

Let's just stay focused here

Icelandic Christmas grouse 2/2 (component mentioned)

Nice. What's the run down on the knife skills book? Gimme like the most useful techniques you got from it. If you don't mind, that is, kind sir.

Blueberry pie

Post your favorite/most memorable recipe from any of the books!

Sure, it's pretty much brand new. I've only used it a few times for boiling potatoes and such. I'll polish it and post results later

Oh this one by far :^)

1/3

clutch

Apple swans 2/3

...if you want a page about a specific vegetable/meat/fruit, let me know!

Apple swans 3/3

Does it have mini ice-carvings for drinks?

You ask a difficult question. I think that this lemon tart will suffice

Note: at the restaurant, he used a blowtorch to brûlée the powdered sugar on top, not a broiler. The broiler was adapted for home cooks, but I personally would not want to risk ruining the tart just to get some caramelized sugar on top. It's great without it anyway

That book in particular unfortunately does not touch on ice carving, but I swear I've seen something about it recently. Let me do some digging...

Thanks user :)

OP here, have to work and such but I will return to the thread with delivery, feel free to request stuff

Excellent thread user, and a very nice library! Can I see your favorite recipe from the Escoffier cookbook?

Also I'd be interested in seeing your cooking-related Penguins and Oxfords, or at least knowing why some of them are crossed out.

You got any El Bulli cookbooks chap?

Dear OP:

I would very much appretiate it if you delivered something on salmon or tuna and the best sauces for it. I have no idea how to nake a decent sauce for salmon. If you have the basic butter-lemon-capers that'd be amazing

This is how I was always taught to cut onions, since childhood.

Also if you've cool bits from Ripert at LB or Heston at FD plz

you're what i want to be when i'm not so poor OP
this is a sick collection, great job

Bump for justice

give me a burger recipe

GIVE ME SHAKE SHACK BURGER RECIPE user

Little
Yellow
Different

What's the title of that Dutch cookbook? Does it contain a dumpling dough recipe?

That's a whole lotta book you have there, impressive, but could you recommend about 5 for the armchair professional/ home cook?

OP here, I have not abandoned the thread and will fulfill all of your requests tonight. I am just out right now.

GIF ME BAWRGAR RECIPE

looks like Pennsylvania Dutch Cookery
in which case i'm gonna need to see the shoofly pie recipe

I never doubted you OP. Bump.

Nice collection, thanks for sharing.

Escoffier turtle soup (1/4)

Escoffier turtle soup (2/4)

Turtle soup (3/4)

Turtle soup (4/4)

Sautéing fish

Ravigote sauce

Bump for OPs' favorite soup recipe

Hollandaise is nice with salmon. Pro tip: put the finished sauce in a vacuum-insulated thermos to keep it warm so you aren't stressing while you assemble the rest of your dish.

I find this oddly facinating

I do but not with me. What would you like from the El Bulli books?

Best blurb from LB

error

show me beurre blanc from that same book. pls.

I will give you the Shake Shack burger recipe and the Modernist burger recipe.

their salt and pepper mix:

"We mix 1/2 cup kosher salt with 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and use that mixture to season out burgers as they cook. You'll see we call for a pinch or two of the mixture in every recipe."

A a few years back there was someone that used to do a cookbook advent calendar. Every day (s)he would post a PDF of a different cookbook. I have a few gems from that wonderful time.
I wish Heartsonfire would come back.
I'm a sad panda

Modernist patty

Cooking the Modernist patty

Lotta moving parts with this one... we can revisit it later, or you can just call out any of the component recipes you'd really like to see.

Your description made me crack up. I found the book at a random used book store. This dumpling seems to be the key player.

Godspeed

1. Institut Paul Bocuse Gastronomique ($$ but well worth it)
2. On Food and Cooking
3. The Flavor Bible
4. Artisan Breads Every Day
5. a cookbook from a chef or restaurant you really admire

Dutch Shoofly Pie

Beurre blanc

I need to think on that one a bit.

Are you in the industry or are you a hobby cook?

Bump so I can read this thread tomorrow.

What is the strangest/oddest of your cook books and what is the strangest recipe they have?

If you could only keep one which would it be

Please post canned brioche recipe from Modernist Bread!

>This is how I was always taught to cut onions, since childhood.
the results are nice looking, but it is needlessly complicated and time consuming for the homecook, especially the part where you cut off the first quarter of the onion. Also it means you will be cutting along the length of the fibers, which will make the bits very "durable". If you want them to kinda dissolve during cooking, like for French onion soup or goulash, you should cut across the fibers.

When recipes call for molasses is that in sugar form or the goo?

Molasses is a liquid. It's extracted from raw sugar.

I have the sugar and blackstrap, I'm confused to which is called for

Huh, I think the sugar one you have might just be brown sugar. I've never seen it called molasses before. In my opinion it's calling for the liquid, but I could be wrong.

this is nice thread

Thanks, just bought the first one, stole the rest from libgen, will buy them if they are worth it

BADASS. Slightly horrifying, but also inspires to go hunting turtles. Enjoyed all your other photos as well. You're a real patriot of Cuisinestan, OP.

ay yo lemme see that NOMAD COOKBOOK. what's it about? cooking on the lam? preparing meals in the desert, what?

also user I see that Modernist Bread set. respect.

That knife skills book, if I want to get one book with knife techniques is it the one you'd recommend?

Bump for some of that sweet sweet culinary knowledge.

How many of the crazy pastries in the Bouchon Bakery book have you made yourself?

I skimmed through that book in the library once, and I just threw my hands up.

OP here, I will fill all of the new requests tonight or tomorrow.

I have tried the coffee cake and brioche. The coffee cake was a little underwhelming but still good. The brioche didn't work for me.

I've cooked from Bouchon Bakery before, and it's really not that bad. The oatmeal raisin cookies are drop-dead simple and taste amazing.

Do you own the modernist bread? and if so do you care to post the naan recipe?

>all those fancy Phaidon cookbooks
>all those vegetable books

I'm surprised you don't have a copy of On Vegetables on there.

Seconding this request.

You're a good egg, OP.

>have a bunch of really nice cookbooks
>never try any of the recipes

I'm worthless

Lol I'm trying to check that out at my uni library

Great thread, OP. This is why I love Veeky Forums. Can you do one from the Big Fat duck Book? I don't know enough to request one, can you just pick one that looks good? Thanks!

Still here OP?

He-she probably is. It's Christmas though. Bumpity-bump-bump-bumpity-bump over the fields we go.

Hope you had a merry Christmas OP.

Sugar is just brown sugar

Brown sugar is refined white sugar coated in molasses so sometimes although rarely it is sold that way

brown sugaaaaaa

how come you taste so good

bump. come back to us OP.