Can one drink +6 beers a day every day if they don’t get drunk, it doesn’t interfere with any part of their life...

Can one drink +6 beers a day every day if they don’t get drunk, it doesn’t interfere with any part of their life, and they can stop without withdrawal symptoms, and not be an alcoholic?

I.e. does ‘alcoholism’ depend more on the amount or on the reaction to drinking?

It's hell on your organs and you will be paying for this eventually
1--2 is only the healthy answer and 0 is the answer if you have alcoholism in your genes
You are increasing your tolerance and getting empty calories, excess calories, and glycemic load with less and less effect.
You are likely self-medicating some other problem you need to deal with properly instead, from stress, to ADD, to bipolar, to emotional maladjustedness, to denial of some problems. As you use this as a crutch daily, you will eventually get to the point that it affects you, and it could effect you in a way that has NO WAY BACK like needing to be in AA daily the rest of your life, or paying alimony, or getting an illness that requires dialysis, insulin, medications of a high price tag, no being able to drive for jobs, not getting a good job ever again, public humiliation, etc.

The answer is yes, you are
>but but I was just asking a
You're not going to recognize it until you're literally getting the shakes every day and waking up in a pile of empty handles of popov, but you, right now, are an alcoholic. Most likely you will die of cirrhosis at 45. If you're lucky you'll snap out of it in a year or two, and become one of those insufferable teetotalers that nobody wants to be around

all these faggots don't know shit

>beer

99999999999% you're fine

Calories for sure, but if compensating by eating less that’s a wash.

Liver I suppose, but I think you get yourself into trouble when you’re drinking heavily for months/years with no time off; I believe the liver is quite resilient if you give it time to recover (that’s the idea behind those ‘dry February’s’ I believe).

The idea that you’re ‘self medicating’ in an unhealthy way I think it way overblown. What’s wrong, psychologically, by relaxing in the evening by getting buzzed? Sure, you could be writing your novel or whatever, but if that’s not in the table what’s the problem?

Why drink 6 beers a day if you don't feel anything from them?
Might as well drink water.

t. pic related

Pleasant numbing buzz.

As opposed to manic / sedating drunkenness.

I really think it depends on the person, and the idea that ‘x drinks = a problem’ doesn’t account for differences between people.

My mom, has a couple drinks and turns into a MONSTER. She’s been in and out of AA her whole life, her mother died of alcoholism... clearly alcohol just isn’t for her. But my dad, I’ve never seen him ‘drunk’ in his life, yet he’ll drink beer all day/night at a function. My brother is somewhere in between; not something I’d consider a problem, but when he does drink a lot he swings between crying and fighting (he accordingly almost never drinks).

>Pleasant numbing buzz.
aka "drunk"

if you have a healthy relationship with alcohol you won't need euphemisms to lie to yourself about your alcohol abuse. "drunk" isn't a pejorative, it doesn't imply you're a bad person, it doesn't imply murder or assault or blacking out. drunk = drunk. what you do when you're drunk is on you. your mom obviously has some issues that get amplified when drunk. your dad obviously can function while drunk. they're still both drunk, as are you, when you're drunk

It's easy to drink 10 a day when the first 6 drinks are there just to make you feel normal.

I really don’t get that being the same thing.

If being ‘drunk’ unleashes your daemons and makes for a bad scene for you and others around you then it’s not working for you, and that’s what I’d consider as alcohol being a problem. But if you get ‘drunk’ without any negative effects - ie you’re your same self just loosened-up and slowed-down - then what’s the harm? (Well, besides the potential caloric and liver issues)

I get depressed as when I drink several days in a row then take a few days off. I think by body either wants booze every day or not at all.

I’m not telling you not to get drunk every night if you enjoy it. just pointing out that this false distinction between “drunk” and “buzzed” is a kind of defense mechanism, like “I didn’t get arrested or punch my wife’s teeth out so I’m not dependent on it”

/thread

>t. soy boy that has clearly never had a drink and knows nothing about alcohol.

That's a pretty good point, and I'm a full-blast alcoholic. I need it to mitigate stress so I don't fuck somebody up randomly, but at least I don't lie about it and try to make it something it isn't. If I'm getting fucked up then I'm getting fucked up, I'm not going to downplay it to people like I'm a casual drinker

It's an addictive substance at the end of the day. Drink 6 beers every day and be fine and expect to never progress? It's like trying to smoke 3 cigarettes a day or take just a little touch of heroin before bed.

addiction is about behaviors that interfere with daily life. if you're seeing negative side effects, you're abusing the substance. so while your premise may not be alcoholism, it's certainly a slippery slope to dependency where you may not be able to stop somewhere down the road and start seeing negative effects.

Really good response. I would even say that you probably shouldn't be drinking every day, even if you're not getting trashed, because you're still building a tolerance and more importantly, you've made it a habit which is the first step towards addiction.

People who drink 1- 2 beers, 1 glass of wine, or a single (mixed or neat) shot a day have been proven to have healthier body function than those who abstain.

drinking 6 beers in a day is not in any way good, that's like 1000+ calories a day just in alcohol. you'll be fat as fuck by the end of the year.

>1-2 is only the healthy answer
Drinking every day is not healthy

he's talking about 6+ beers a day user, not 1-2. I drink 1-3 beers a week and it's pretty chill. I'd drink more but my gf has issues with liquor because of her drunken native american family.

beer, wine, etc. aren't that bad for you, they're like meals in a glass; people used to live off of the stuff hundreds and thousands of years ago. the amount of alcohol in that small of a serving is incapable of doing damage because a healthy liver can filter it out like nothing.

6+ beers a day is alcoholism. Flat out.

People who drink roughly 7-8 drinks a week (max) have been shown to live healthier, longer lives. Since binge drinking is what really fucks your body up, this comes out to 1-2 drinks a day.

> people used to live off of the stuff hundreds and thousands of years ago.
This is never a good argument for something and I recommend you find better ones

it's a good argument for people who think drinking a fucking beer is going to kill you.

>all actions can be reduced to “will kill you” or “unambiguously beneficial”
stop

>I don't think it's really that bad
Thus the cycle of self-rationalization begins.

Typically you need to stop or you'll become an unsightly mass of fat long before you become an alcoholic.

Not all calories are equal, replacing food with beer might balance your calorie intake but you won't be getting any nutrients and your body will collapse.

In general, you're an alcoholic when your alcohol consumption starts preventing you from leading a normal life, ie you can't keep your job, your relationships suffer severely, your health deteriorates, etc.

6 beers per day will do that to you.

Not really. If you drink 6 or so beers over a few hours you won't really get drunk and you shouldn't wake up with a hangover.

It's more the price and weight gain that you'll probably experience.

I doubt many alcoholics actually drink beer regularly. It's expensive, you need to consume a lot of liquid to get drunk so you constantly need to piss, and it makes you burp.

All that being said I don't think it's particularly a good thing to be drinking 6 beers a night. Even if it doesn't actually affect your day to day productivity there's a pretty large chance you'll start drinking more and more in the future.

We're talking 6 beers every day. The hangover doesn't matter. You won't get one because you can just start drinking again when you wake up.

And many alcoholics drink beer to satisfy their cravings. It's quite cheap in many countries. Some alcoholics drink wine, others drink liquor, others drink beer. It mostly depends on taste and the stage of alcoholism. When the blood alcohol you require is around 1.5 per mille and you have a decent tolerance, beer stops being economical.

>you won't get a hangover because you can keep drinking when you make up

Why would you do this? The OP is talking about whether you can lead a normal life on 6 beers, presumably at night. You can absolutely have a functional work life if you drink 6 beers a nigh supposing you go to bed early enough and drink water.

Six beers is a lot but it's not what I would consider anywhere near the level of alcoholism that would make someone drink as soon as they wake up. Six beers is less than a bottle of wine.

I hate it because I'm a better person when I'm drunk. Kind, considerate, generous, patient, attentive, and actually in very good control of myself from witnesses aside from having the next drink (usually drink enough to get blackout drunk). But I restrict my drinking to once every two weeks and just enjoy myself that day.

You need some detox every 2-3 months. That means vacation for liver ie no soda water, almost no sugar, no alcohol, healthy food. Let liver regenerate, and it needs to be minimum 2 weeks and no crap in diet at all.

Second rule is that you never get 2 (or more) poisons at once, like no caffeine and alcohol (caffeine is also coke or pepsi), or smoking and drinking. Liver can process single toxic substance quite well but mix of them can be too much stress.

That 2 weeks detox also works quite well for spotting first symptoms of alcoholism, ie. if you cannot survive 2 weeks without alcohol, you have a problem.

With those size cans it's easy

6 beers is alcoholism. Drinking a single wine bottle solo is severe alcoholism

t. southern evangelical

not that guy, but I'm a northern atheist who grew up nominally lutheran (ELCA to be fair so in a sense that is technically "evangelical") and I agree with him

that much is damaging, yes
no, doesnt depend on your reaction

what if I use most of the bottle to cook with and finish the rest off myself.

>Being both dangerously Protestant and dangerously Catholic

Thats not drinking the whole bottle, and frankly if you dont drink when cooking with alcohol you're a fag

Drinking an entire fucking bottle of 15-20% liquor is alcoholism, dont lie to yourself.