Venezuelan Christmas Food Part 2

Christmas is upon us, so the time has come to make hallacas. This is a long process, so we're spreading out across today and tomorrow. Today, we prepared the banana leaves and the guiso, which is the filling. Tomorrow, we'll prepare the dough, assemble the hallacas, and cook them.

Start off with a bunch of banana leaves.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/ck/thread/S9784891
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wash them.

Pour boiling water over them and let it sit for a few minutes

Dry them, trim out the veins, cut them to size and sort them.

Have you considered creative an account on fiver and consuming garbage for five dollars?

Infuse some oil with anatto.

Start cooking some onion and garlic in it.

Add bell pepper, celery, habanero, and bay leaves. In Venezuela we would use aji dulce, which is an habanero which has been bred to have no spiciness at all while retaining all its flavor. That's hard to find in the US, so I just use regular habanero.

Add giardiniera

Add a couple pounds of beef, a pound of chicken, a pound of pork, and some pork fat.

Add capers, olives, and green onions.

Add raisins, parsley, and cilantro.

Add a bunch of chicken stock and pour in a bottle of chianti

Reduce it down.

And skim off the oil and a bunch of the broth. This liquid will be used tomorrow to make the dough.

Can't wait for our Venezuelan Christmas feast.

Are you going to save those banana leaves so you can smell them and remember how food is like in the next couple months?

At least read the thread before you meme

>That's hard to find in the US, so I just use regular habanero

user, what gang did you join to get such a large portion of daily rations?

Hilarious and original

>Venezuelan
>food

OK, now I know this has to be bait. You'd have to wait in line for years to get all of those ingredients.

do you drain out the juice?

escualido traidor de mierda chicano de pacotilla vendepatria

>Venezuelan Christmas Food
Why is there actually anything to post pictures of? Shouldn't "Venezuelan food" just be a blank image?

Hah.

It is so funny how all of you swallow capitalist propaganda. Right now Venezuelans are better fed than they have ever been. Of course the only ones who post this propaganda are the rich who are angry that they have to help other people.

always wanted to try rabbit meat

what is venezuela like anyway? i had a crush on a girl from there and i always pictured her living in a tree house and swinging from tree to tree

Memes aside what are the banana leaves for? Your not gonna eat them? Right?

Fuck off with the no food for Venezuela meme, I want to see where this is going.

lol venezuela is poor

>Meanwhile in America

I’m sure Venezuelans can’t either

I'm guessing he will encase the meat in dough, wrap it all up in banana leaves and bake / steam them. Pretty standard tropical food.

Also good work on the OC op. You're a cool guy in my book.

>meanwhile in Venezuela

looking good OP

at least we have delicious fried rats to eat, what do you have?

Yes

They're wrappers

Have another (You), Maduro.

Depending on how poor she was that could be the way she lives
It used to be that some Venezuelans where so poor they lived in the mountains but now all Venezuelans are that poor so who knows what happened to them

Fuck off you butthurt tumblerina.

>Maduro
how has he not been gutted yet

Hallacas aren't great. I have a ton in my freezer that my Venezualan friend gave me. Not a huge fan of the raisin and green olive combo. Tamales are much better imo. But merry Christmas anyway.

Beginning dough preparation

Adding skimmed oil and broth

Dough mixed up

And formed into balls

How many are you doing bro? Part of my family are Venezuelan expats and we make about 100 every year.

Boiling some eggs

We're doing between 20 and 40, just a small batch

what is this gonna become?

Prepping the assembly line

Fuck, you guys go all out! Feliz Navidad!

I am confused, what are the eggs for? I don't remember my family using eggs.

What part of Venezuela are they from? The eggs are an eastern thing.

laying out the adornos, which include raw bell pepper and onion, giardiniera, wine soaked raisins, olives, and sliced boiled eggs. We'll probably also add some extra capers.

hope the OP didnt die, really enjoying the thread

raiders broke into his home to steal his food and medicine

Interesting. Looks like a big clash of flavours to me, but I'd eat it.

some really weak ass jokes that only prove you arent reading the thread.

The only acceptable shitpost in the entire thread, fucking r/t_d destroying anything close to originality, faggots can't even read past the OP with their shit attention span and reading comprehension

Yeah, it seems like a flavor clash to me too, but if it's a common holiday treat then it must be good. Either way, OP is a champ for sharing this with us.

Assembly. First take your spread out dough on a couple leaves

Add bell pepper, onion, a slice of egg, olives, raisins, and capers. This is the adorno.

Add the guiso

Fold and tie

Repeat

First batch into the pot

*also giardiniera

sorry, im too busy having a working economy to listen to some stateless slave having the saddest chritmas ever

We ran out of leaves, so we mixed some filling into the dough and made bollitos with leaf scraps and corn husks

First batch draining and cooling. Yes, we cleaned the sink.

is hallacas mexican for "dog tamale"?

They look attractive. I can't wait to see a cross section.

Rare corbyn sighting outside /jam/

From Caracas. Although they've been abroad for so long that the recipe has probably changed a lot.

bump. please give moar op

Drained and ready

What they look like unwrapped

Money shot

Lot of work for that condiment mess

Looks delicious, OP. I had to settle for tamales from a local taco joint.

gj op

10/10 would eat

excellent thread

pleb here, what do the banana leaves do? just structural support when boiling? do they impart any flavor

Nice bait

Delightful. Thank you.

They give it a bit of flavor while holding it together. To me, the smell of the leaves is reminiscent of green tea. The best way to do it is with smoked banana leaves, but I don't have the setup to prepare that.

I also made some pan de jamon as a side dish. Details on that recipe in the archive warosu.org/ck/thread/S9784891

thats a mean thing to say about americans

Ah yeah. In Caracas they do it a bit different. Do they put tomato in the guiso? Another thing we do different is eat them with green papaya in syrup. It sounds weird but works really well.

>raisins
fuck, this seemed pretty good until that part, i personally cant stand those

>says as he shitposts on a annonymous image board during christmas instead of being with family and friends

How'd that zebra taste?

not a fan of the ingredients used, but great work op!

What is Bolivia?

I remember that thread and that looked goat af. Thx for the OC.

Looks interesting. Have to admit I'm not sure I'd like the texture of the dough. Is it like a firmer tamale dough?

>escualido traidor de mierda chicano de pacotilla vendepatria
I can’t translate this and now I’m curious what it is supposed to say/says