Nonstick Pans

Seriously, what's the difference? Do they all not last relatively the same amount of time if you don't fuck them up with metal utensils?

inb4 cast iron neckbeards

Carbon Steal master race

The coating on the cheapest ones will flake off sometimes. The better ones will still scratch. It's a question of whether you're willing to put up with the flakes in your food when it does eventually start to fail (the cheapest ones fail sooner).

Considering the fancier ones are only $30-40 still, just get the fancy kind, it's not that much for an item that gets replaced every few years.

I get a cheap one with a heavy bottom. Because you will eventually end up scratching it or just wearing it out and want to replace it.

At the low end yes, at the high end theres a difference, ex. Teflon coat vs a solid non stick surface. They perform similar at the start, one just lasts longer. Ive use t-fal and they arent bad, but last year i was gifted a la creuset and its far bettwr than a t fal over time.

Anything with a plastic handle is garbage. You want to be able to throw that shit in a hot oven either to finish cooking or maintain a serviceable temperature. Avoid silicon at all costs.

>You want to be able to throw that shit in a hot oven either to finish cooking
Ok, I'll bite. What's a legitimate use of a nonstick pan that involves stovetop-to-oven?

is this a real question

Fritatta, meat, anything you want to finish under tbe broiler

On second thought I guess I mistook you for someone who knows what he's talking about. Those silicone handles are designed to be pulled off easily and reattached as needed.

stop high temperature cooking. it's cancer >:(

Neither of those is appropriate for a nonstick pan though, hence my question, "What's a legitimate use of a nonstick pan that involves stovetop-to-oven?"

Not the guy who asked you, but I have never ever fried something in the pan then finished it in the oven or found it necessary to do so. Seems really bothersome.

to clarify, you mean a pan with a nonstick coating, not like an actual nonstick pan, like cast iron, right

Fritatta isnt? And while i agree for most situations meat should be cooked in cast iron, it doesnt have to be. I have 2 pans, a cast iron i was handed down, amd my la creuset, i use cast iron for meats and my nonstick for anything else basically. In a pinch its nice to be able to finiah things under a broiler, even if its just to melt cheese. This isnt isn't even a quality argument, tons of cheap pans have handles rated for atleast 400

>Carbon Steal master race
Where did you steal them? Has the police ever given you any trouble about them?

@9880314
>cast iron fanboi
not even a (You)
But frita... ugh fuck off you're a cast iron fanboi too? They're for roasting root veg, and baking bread. I'm not replying to this nonsense.

>choosing the objectively best and most versatile instrument in the kitchen is being a fanboi

It is tasty

just because you can cut food with scissors doesn't mean you should

Fuck off virgin

okay. it's still the best and most versatile instrument in the kitchen and that you can't recognize that means you need to gtfo sea kay

a cast iron fanboi using "virgin" as an insult. that's a new one

Id say cast iron or stainless is better for meat, mines 50+ years old, so wgile noshere near my normal non sticks, its not as limited as modern ones

the ones who need to GTFO are the sperg lords defending these stove fedoras. you're like those people on /g/ who think that if it's not on a spinning magnetic disk it's some kind of lizard people conspiracy. old doesn't automatically mean good, you luddites

can you try that in whatever your native language is, so we can use google translate? your english isn't as good as you think

Honestly, i was typing in the shower so water was making phone sperg

okay. what do you think the cast iron is good for?

I already told you. oven roasting. bread, birds or other roasts on a rack with veg underneath. or just root vegetables/brussels sprouts/etc on their own, in an oven

it's shit for stovetop. it gets by ok for steak and that sort of thing because you can get just about anything that hot and it won't matter how shit it is at heat spreading, but that's more a testament to the fact that it barely matters what you use for steak as long as it's reasonably heavy. and for poorfags, cast iron is about the only heavy thing they'll see in their kitchens.

roasts and steak, that's it? is that your final answer?

can you read? I said quite specifically that it's **not** all that great for steak, it's just that it has a reputation as being great for steak because of all the stuff it's shitty at on the stovetop, it's relatively less shitty at steak than at most things

if your'e too goddamm stupid to read, and need to get hung up on one word in my post, get hung up on the word "bread"

okay user, calm down, i'm just trying to figure out where you stand on this issue. so it's only good for roasts and is acceptable for steaks, correct?

I make stuffed french toast, that has to be pretty thick so finishing it in the pan and having the outside done with the inside without it going into the oven is out of the question, and using a non nonstick pan just wouldn't play out very well.

no, that isn't what I said. I don't know how much clearer I can make this, user. here is a picture, maybe it will help.

okay. decent at bread and roasts and birds, doesn't completely fuck up a steak sometimes. is that it?

I'll live with it

we all have to live with things user.

nigga have you never cut herbs with scissors before? it's fucking great

This. I cut herbs, chives, bacon, and sometimes chicken with scissors.

This 100%.

Stainless steel > Ceramic > Copper

Finishing french toast in the oven is easier and drastically reduces your chances of fucking it up. Great crispy exterior, custardy but not raw interior, every time.

i wouldn't go out of my way to buy a pan specifically for it though, but if you already have a non stick that can go in the oven it's neat

made this earlier today with the pan I got for christmas.

Buy ceramic one. They'll never flake off