>follow the recipe as it says
>cake doesn't fucking rise and is inedible

What did i do wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

myrecipes.com/recipe/mrs-billetts-white-cake
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>follow the recipe as it says
post recipe

is your baking powder or other ingredients old? is your oven calibrated correctly?

did you open the oven before it was done?

>fantasize about a cake
Maybe you should have been practicing instead of praying.

myrecipes.com/recipe/mrs-billetts-white-cake

did you use cake flour, or just all-purpose flour?

did you pack the flour into the cups?
do you know how to cream butter and sugar?
did you fold the egg whites gently?

there are a lot of steps in that recipe that can go wrong for a beginner baker.

Not to be a dick, but is this something that people do? Make something for a special occasion as their first time making a dish? If it involves a new technique or new ingredients I try to make it at least twice in the preceeding weeks to ensure I'm not going to completely botch it the first time.

cake flour

>>follow the recipe as it says
Seems unlikely.

>cups
>not baking proportions

There's your problem.

a cake wont be inedible because the measurements are 10% off

I'd guess OP screwed up the egg whites

1. You know what sifting is, right?
2. Folding is tricky. I know your instincts tell you to be gentle but instead just try doing it normally without overdoing it. Don't forget to reach underneath the batter

>you MUST use a scale
>you MUST use a scale
>learn how to cream butter with sugar

You need to practice, cake is hard. I had to bake a christmas cake, did I wait until 24/12 to bake? No. I did 2 rehearsals to make sure the cake would be edible on christmas. I tend to rehearsal any baked good for special occasions.

As long as you USE A SCALE and know how to make a good cream you don't need to bother with folding egg whites.

I usually consider my first attempt at an extravigant dish as an event, and i invite people to get drunk and high with me. I like to have friends over to share in my victory or to soften my defeat.

i do it sometimes
sometimes you win, sometimes it's an abomination, but i also eat it all so i take the punishment with the others

Did you use baking powder, or something else? My first time I thought that baking soda was the same, lol that sucked.

i used baking powder

packing...flour?
I creamed the butter and sugar
and i folded the egg whites

>all those ingredients
jesus this is gonna be one massive cake just find something else i'm not an expert but i don't think this is good

how did you measure the flour? did you pack it into the measuring cup tightly or loosely? measuring flour by volume is pretty stupid.

what ingredients do you think go into a cake?

>measuring flour by volume is pretty stupid.

That's why I normally measure by weight instead.

Buy yourself a digital scale and find a recipe that uses weight measurements, which tend to be more accurate than volume measurements.

>Doesn't rise
Did you... I don't know. What the fuck, how would you end up with a cake that didn't rise?

Have you ever baked before? Are you able to make a basic sponge cake?

This looks like a suitable thread for cake-related questions.
So I cooked a cheesecake, and while in the middle it was of that perfect creamy consistency, at the rim it was pretty dry, which made it sort of disappointing as you're finishing a slice. Any idea on how to prevent that in the future?

I usually cook my cheesecakes in a water bath which helps promote even cooking.

I used it too, didn't seem to help.

what i meant is that there's a lot of flour and sugar for just 5 eggs white i barely put one cup each for just 4 eggs but as i said i'm not an expert so i don't know maybe it's just me

what i meant is that that's a lot of flour and sugar for just 5 eggs white i barely put one cup each for just 4 eggs but as i said i'm not an expert so i don't know maybe it's just me

>Cheesecake

Pie.

What temperature was the butter, op? Recipes presume the butter involved is 65F.

It won't be fucked up even if it's straight from the fridge, the room temperature just help with the mixing. Something must've happened with the baking powder, maybe the butter was hot enough that the baking powder was activated while mixing but it seems highly unlikely.

It seems OP is gone though